Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

I have a lot of fun when I play video games, especially Zelda games.

Other than the Zelda series the only other that I think has never disappointed me is the Kirby series. No bad games, just "less excellent than the rest" at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Whenever I put my dishwasher on, I'm never sure whether I should set it to the Zelda cycle or the Pots & Pans cycle.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well the Zelda Cycle tends to break all the Pots so better use the other one first.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Blackheart posted:

Other than the Zelda series the only other that I think has never disappointed me is the Kirby series. No bad games, just "less excellent than the rest" at most.

I haven't played a lovely Mario game, although I haven't played them all. Generally, Nintendo is really loving good at making video games, much better than anyone else.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There are probably many who would consider this sacrilege or just unnecessary, but after Super Mario RPG and the Paper Mario series there's a part of me that wants them to make a Zelda rpg at some point. I know it's already sort of rpg-ish, but I mean like actually giving Link a party (bring in the TP squad, Impa, Zelda, or whoever) and having a neat turn based battle system.

But that dream is mostly because I just really love SMRPG and Paper Mario.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Did he play the HD remake? It'd make sense if some people that didn't like it changed their minds after playing the remake.
Not that I know of.

Blackheart posted:

Well the Zelda Cycle tends to break all the Pots so better use the other one first.
:golfclap:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

chumbler posted:

There are probably many who would consider this sacrilege or just unnecessary, but after Super Mario RPG and the Paper Mario series there's a part of me that wants them to make a Zelda rpg at some point. I know it's already sort of rpg-ish, but I mean like actually giving Link a party (bring in the TP squad, Impa, Zelda, or whoever) and having a neat turn based battle system.

That would be objectively terrible.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Two bosses into Wind Waker HD my sperg caught up with me and I decided to start playing in timeline order with SS. I'm still relatively new to LoZ games so the handholdy parts aren't a problem for me, yet at least. The motion controls are definitely taking some time to get comfortable with.

Planning on playing SS, OoT3D, WWHD and its DS sequels, LttP, LBW, MM, then TP, but skipping Minish Cap and the oracle games cause I hear the least about those. Is this a crazy plan? I have a job and adult responsibilities so it's not like I'd be doing all these day in day out back to back, just want to get through a good chunk of this franchise that everyone's always loved before the wii u release.

I also realized that I beat Links Awakening in 1994 probably. That g d egg maze drove me nuts.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I liked TP from the beginning but it wasn't on the same level as TWW, MM, or OoT. Skyward Sword on the other hand was enjoyable but I never want to touch it or those controls again. While I felt the controls were the single most damning thing about it - I never felt like I was really in control, I felt more like I was playing the system not the game, and I found them awkward and inefficient - the game has other problems, like being too linear.

If it weren't for the controls the other flaws would probably mellow out in my memory after a few more years, but the controls will keep that from happening. I had enough fun playing through it, once, and overall it was decent but I didn't even bother getting 100% completion.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

zelah posted:

Two bosses into Wind Waker HD my sperg caught up with me and I decided to start playing in timeline order with SS. I'm still relatively new to LoZ games so the handholdy parts aren't a problem for me, yet at least. The motion controls are definitely taking some time to get comfortable with.

Planning on playing SS, OoT3D, WWHD and its DS sequels, LttP, LBW, MM, then TP, but skipping Minish Cap and the oracle games cause I hear the least about those. Is this a crazy plan? I have a job and adult responsibilities so it's not like I'd be doing all these day in day out back to back, just want to get through a good chunk of this franchise that everyone's always loved before the wii u release.

I also realized that I beat Links Awakening in 1994 probably. That g d egg maze drove me nuts.
Playing the Timeline and skipping games is for scrubs. Are you a scrub?

Also, I like the Oracle games. They're probably my favorite 2D Zeldas. Minish Cap has some interesting things going on, but it's largely forgettable for me. Still worth checking out, in my opinion.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

zelah posted:

You wanna play the DS sequels, but not Minish Cap and the Oracle series? Big mistake! Minish Cap is probably the most beautiful 2D Zelda that there is - it's aesthetics are clearly superior to any Zelda on the DS (and 3DS, I'd argue). It has novel items, fun, compact dungeons, and the shrinking mechanic is quite endearing in how it turns perfectly mundane environments into hidden death courses. The talking cap is annoying, the kinstone fusing obscure and the random path-blocking NPCs are weird, but beyond that, you have a rock-solid Zelda with an incredibly charming style. They even have a Minitendo gallery! (Which is a pain to complete, unfortunately...)

As for the Oracle games - again, 2D Zelda at its peak. If you're one of those weird people who love complicated dungeons, you'll love Oracle of Ages. Oracle of Seasons has some of the best gadgets in the entire series, if you ask me. Switching between seasons or travelling through time is annoying for some, but I liked the puzzle aspect of it. (Yes, even on the lizard island.) The animal sidekicks are stupid, though. And some of the minigames.

I think you can even download the Oracle games on 3DS these days! So, seriously, if I had to chose, I'd pick those three over all the DS games. Of course, if you can (and have enough patience for the worst overworld in the series), just get the DS games too. Play all the Zeldas.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, both Oracle games are on the 3DS eShop! They're pretty cheap, too!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hyrule Warriors: Character Trailer: Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ImucbJghD0M

We're going to get more trailers in upcoming days/weeks, for other characters.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who never had problems with the controls in Skyward Sword. The handholding and Fi got old really quick, but apart from that I really enjoyed the game.

chumbler posted:

But that dream is mostly because I just really love SMRPG and Paper Mario.

Nintendo seems a lot more willing to have other developers make games for their major IPs in recent years. Let's get BioWare on board, I'm sure everyone will want a Zelda Chronicles.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Hyrule Warriors: Character Trailer: Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ImucbJghD0M

We're going to get more trailers in upcoming days/weeks, for other characters.

Okay, so from everything we've seen so far from game trailers, the game literally seems to just be about fighting wave after wave of enemy mooks. And that's the absolute extent of it. I mean I guess the combat looks cool but it seems like this would get old after about a few days, if that. Or am I just not "getting" the game?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You're just not getting it. That's okay. The appeal of Musou games is you are an unstoppable hero who can only be challenged by other unstoppable heroes. That's what they are intended to simulate, the part of the story where important figures clash on the battlefield amidst a churning sea of average, faceless mooks. And in the meantime, you build up your special meters to do outrageous attacks to clear out the mooks faster so you can get to challenge Oda Nobunaga/Char Aznable/Lu Bu/Ra-oh, where the real challenges lie.

They're fun. But not for everyone.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You're just not getting it. That's okay. The appeal of Musou games is you are an unstoppable hero who can only be challenged by other unstoppable heroes. That's what they are intended to simulate, the part of the story where important figures clash on the battlefield amidst a churning sea of average, faceless mooks. And in the meantime, you build up your special meters to do outrageous attacks to clear out the mooks faster so you can get to challenge Oda Nobunaga/Char Aznable/Lu Bu/Ra-oh, where the real challenges lie.

They're fun. But not for everyone.

Yup, it's this. It's the reason people are a little baffled that they won't have voices, because people yelling CAN ANYONE PROVIDE ME WITH A DECENT CHALLENGE? at each other across fields of mook corpses is part of it. It is mostly a button masher where the strategy is more about where you position yourself to take on the actual challengers so that they don't kill all of your mooks in the meantime.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

zelah posted:

If you're planning on doing them in order why would you not play MM immediately after Ocarina? It's virtually a "the very next day" type of thing.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

zelah posted:

The correct way to treat the Zelda timeline is to completely ignore that it exists and just play the games in whatever order is convenient and/or fun to you. And I'll let you in to a little secret: That's exactly what the Zelda devs over at Nintendo do as well. The timeline is just some thing where after they've finished making a Zelda game, they go like "oh right, well, I guess this new game goes like *throws dart at printed-out copy of the timeline hanging on the wall* right here in the official timeline (hopefully the spergs who care about that poo poo will be satisfied now)."

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
You know, if they gave them to a proven and trustworthy developer, I could see a Zelda turn-based RPG turning out oka-

a cartoon duck posted:

Let's get BioWare on board, I'm sure everyone will want a Zelda Chronicles.
-AAAAAANNNNNNOOOOO gently caress OFF

So, about Hyrule Warriors... My sister is actually more hyped about it than Smash. She's a huge Zelda and Kingdom Hearts geek and her favorite part of Kingdom Hearts 2 was the fight against the 1000 heartless. Are Musou games basically that fight extended into a full game?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Wild Knight posted:

So, about Hyrule Warriors... My sister is actually more hyped about it than Smash. She's a huge Zelda and Kingdom Hearts geek and her favorite part of Kingdom Hearts 2 was the fight against the 1000 heartless. Are Musou games basically that fight extended into a full game?

Very much so, with the addition of having to kill certain people at certain times and places to clear events to stop the whole battle from going tits-up. Mostly the game will guide you on this, but there's still the issue of getting there. One can say there CAN be strategy, but a lot of it is just killing. Depending on the game and the difficulty, the little ones can be a threat, or just something to kill. It varies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dynasty Warriors these days is basically action-based Diablo.

You're fighting a billion dudes to collect loot to fight a billion more dudes, mixed with some boss fights and occasional super-hard modes where you can get better loot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Spectacle Rock posted:

When Twilight Princess originally came out, the Internet was not kind to it but NOW you are starting to remember it fondly. This is the first time I've really seen this sentiment take a stronghold. TP came out in 2006, so that's been roughly 8 years. What happened to the tacked on "waggle motion controls" that weren't one to one.

Dude you know there's a gamecube version with no motion controls and that's the definitive version, right?

The motion control version was a way to push Wiis because Skyward Sword wouldn't be ready for a long time. TP is a GC game.

ImpAtom posted:

Dynasty Warriors these days is basically action-based Diablo.

You're fighting a billion dudes to collect loot to fight a billion more dudes, mixed with some boss fights and occasional super-hard modes where you can get better loot.

That's not a bad description, yeah. Although Diablo already claims to be an "action-rpg", but DW is definitely more involved. In Diablo, if I beat on little dudes for an hour and I don't get a legendary drop, I feel like I wasted my time. In DW if I kill 1000 dudes in an hour and I get nothing, I still feel pretty awesome.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 20, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I played through the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess this past year and it fixed most of my complaints with the game. It's a lot more fun this way.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Say what you like about TP's waggle controls, but The pointer controled bow was pretty boss.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I liked the motion controls in Twilight Princess more than Skyward Sword. They were tacked on, but completely unobtrusive, let you relax and hold your hands apart, meant extra room for equipping an extra item, and aiming was great. Flicking the wrist for a sword swing without having to worry about how you hold it or how you swing it was fun.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I suspect that Skyward Sword's control scheme has such a big divide in people disliking or liking it is due to the fact that a lot of people expected the wiimote to be an extension of the arm and intuitively work like a real weapon. The people who went in thinking that probably got the worst of the experience, since it's very clear that small, precise movements with a total disregard for where the wiimote actually is will provide that seamless and accurate experience they claim. I find the concept difficult to describe, but it's sort of like how you have to jiggle a key into a old car ignition and really feel it out. Some people figured out pretty quickly that "Oh hey, swinging this like a real sword doesn't work at all" and they will spend a few minutes fiddling with it until they grasp the concept of small precise movements where you swing to the left twice by swinging to the left a couple inches twice.

It's kind of like Wii Sports Tennis, actually, where trying to make the motions intuitive and realistic will only serve ( :v: ) to make your play inconsistent and poor.

At the end of the day you can't make people like that sort of control scheme, but I think that explaining what the game's expectations of user input are will make the experience as a whole get a lot less frustrating.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

NTT posted:

I suspect that Skyward Sword's control scheme has such a big divide in people disliking or liking it is due to the fact that a lot of people expected the wiimote to be an extension of the arm and intuitively work like a real weapon. The people who went in thinking that probably got the worst of the experience, since it's very clear that small, precise movements with a total disregard for where the wiimote actually is will provide that seamless and accurate experience they claim. I find the concept difficult to describe, but it's sort of like how you have to jiggle a key into a old car ignition and really feel it out. Some people figured out pretty quickly that "Oh hey, swinging this like a real sword doesn't work at all" and they will spend a few minutes fiddling with it until they grasp the concept of small precise movements where you swing to the left twice by swinging to the left a couple inches twice.

It's kind of like Wii Sports Tennis, actually, where trying to make the motions intuitive and realistic will only serve ( :v: ) to make your play inconsistent and poor.

At the end of the day you can't make people like that sort of control scheme, but I think that explaining what the game's expectations of user input are will make the experience as a whole get a lot less frustrating.

I just think it's kind of dumb that they marketed it as being an immersive experience where you're the one swinging the sword but then if you try to actually use it that way it doesn't work super well.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

You wanna play the DS sequels, but not Minish Cap and the Oracle series? Big mistake! Minish Cap is probably the most beautiful 2D Zelda that there is - it's aesthetics are clearly superior to any Zelda on the DS (and 3DS, I'd argue). It has novel items, fun, compact dungeons, and the shrinking mechanic is quite endearing in how it turns perfectly mundane environments into hidden death courses. The talking cap is annoying, the kinstone fusing obscure and the random path-blocking NPCs are weird, but beyond that, you have a rock-solid Zelda with an incredibly charming style. They even have a Minitendo gallery! (Which is a pain to complete, unfortunately...)

As for the Oracle games - again, 2D Zelda at its peak. If you're one of those weird people who love complicated dungeons, you'll love Oracle of Ages. Oracle of Seasons has some of the best gadgets in the entire series, if you ask me. Switching between seasons or travelling through time is annoying for some, but I liked the puzzle aspect of it. (Yes, even on the lizard island.) The animal sidekicks are stupid, though. And some of the minigames.

I think you can even download the Oracle games on 3DS these days! So, seriously, if I had to chose, I'd pick those three over all the DS games. Of course, if you can (and have enough patience for the worst overworld in the series), just get the DS games too. Play all the Zeldas.

This opinion is absolutely correct except for the part about the Oracle animals being stupid. I'll give you the hover bear being lame, but the kangaroo and the dodongo are fun. They're like having an Epona who can jump up cliffs or munch enemies whole. I do wish the games were less obtuse about which animal you're going to end up with, though.

But yeah the Oracle games and Minish Cap are fantastic Zelda games. Personally I think they're up with Majora's as the best games in the series. Nintendo should let Capcom drive the Zeldamobile again.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

NTT posted:

Even with small movements I found it rather imprecise, and I often had to think about how I should be controlling it. Also the motion to roll a bomb in particular felt really awkward.

As for motion controls providing an immersive experience, or at least being marketed as providing one, they were definitely a complete failure and actually worked against immersion. The Wii was the only console where I actually had to think about the controller and what the console wanted from me. I'd much rather play a game than a controller.

The TP motion controls were fine, though it was still better overall on the Gamecube. It's been a while but the only thing I remember having to think about in TP was the shield bash; if I wasn't being careful the motion would be interpreted as a shake and Link would spin slash instead.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I do wish the games were less obtuse about which animal you're going to end up with, though.

I played Oracle of Seasons five times or so, and I never found out how to get the swimming dodongo. And if I remember correctly, you have to ace that horrible, horrible baseball minigame in the main town to get the kangaroo in Oracle of Aces... and gently caress THAT.

Am I weird for liking the goron minigame gauntlet in Oracle of Ages? Because... because I kinda liked the trading chain that spanned timelines. Especially how you cause stable time loops doing it. When the games came out back when I was in school, many people I knew just couldn't do the goron dancing minigame - I used to win it for them... in exchange for Gameboy batteries. Suckeeeeeeers.

It's kinda weird how these games become a inseparably fused part of your childhood.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Torquemadras posted:

I played Oracle of Seasons five times or so, and I never found out how to get the swimming dodongo. And if I remember correctly, you have to ace that horrible, horrible baseball minigame in the main town to get the kangaroo in Oracle of Aces... and gently caress THAT.

Am I weird for liking the goron minigame gauntlet in Oracle of Ages? Because... because I kinda liked the trading chain that spanned timelines. Especially how you cause stable time loops doing it. When the games came out back when I was in school, many people I knew just couldn't do the goron dancing minigame - I used to win it for them... in exchange for Gameboy batteries. Suckeeeeeeers.

It's kinda weird how these games become a inseparably fused part of your childhood.

There was one kid in my class who had pokemon saphire, the rest of the school had ruby. He would get kids to fight eachother for exclusive pokemon, I spent like a week in the principals office but it was worth it for that sweet, sweet ludicolo.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

NTT posted:

This is pretty accurate for my experience. It took me a while to realize how the game wanted me to use the wiimote, once I did combat made me less angry.

But it also just highlighted how shallow the combat ends up being and how unnecessary the control scheme was. It becomes a game of sit there and flick your wrist in the direction the enemy isn't blocking, over and over again. The wrist flicking adds nothing to the game either, it just feels like a less reliable version of button pressing.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
To be fair to Skyward Sword, the game that does direction slashing combat completely right, Metal Gear Rising, came out after Skyward Sword. The developers didn't know the true path. :v: Setting your slice by pulling into a direction and letting go was a genius design decision that worked really well.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Austrian mook posted:

There was one kid in my class who had pokemon saphire, the rest of the school had ruby. He would get kids to fight eachother for exclusive pokemon, I spent like a week in the principals office but it was worth it for that sweet, sweet ludicolo.

I always went against the grain with the Pokemon games and got the less "cool" colour. Red? gently caress that, I got Blue. Gold? gently caress that, Silver for me! Now who's the cool one :c00lbert:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Febreeze posted:

This is pretty accurate for my experience. It took me a while to realize how the game wanted me to use the wiimote, once I did combat made me less angry.

But it also just highlighted how shallow the combat ends up being and how unnecessary the control scheme was. It becomes a game of sit there and flick your wrist in the direction the enemy isn't blocking, over and over again. The wrist flicking adds nothing to the game either, it just feels like a less reliable version of button pressing.

I dont know, once I got into the game I would face groups of moblins and hack them down quickly one after the other and it felt great. It was very smooth and fluid and worked perfect for me. Im always sad some other people didnt get the same experience.

I dont think the over and over complaint holds water unless you consider every other zelda game to just be hitting the attack button over and over.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I feel like hitting the attack button over and over is less irritating for most people than flicking a wiimote.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Wind Waker's pseudo-rhythm combat was aces and could have been a great foundation for future games if the Wii's dogshit motion gimmick hadn't torpedoed it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It'd be waaaaay cool if WW had actual rhythm elements to combat, like hitting in time with a beat to get good damage(and changing time signature with the baton to adjust the rhythm you hit at maybe?) instead of just having little music stings when you smashed stuff. Your swordplay being part of a song you conduct would be rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

It'd be waaaaay cool if WW had actual rhythm elements to combat, like hitting in time with a beat to get good damage(and changing time signature with the baton to adjust the rhythm you hit at maybe?) instead of just having little music stings when you smashed stuff. Your swordplay being part of a song you conduct would be rad.

Given how many goons had trouble with the harp from Skyward Sword (how the gently caress do you have problems with that? HOW?), I feel like additional rhythm gameplay would turn them on a rampage.

• Locked thread