Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

Gilbert has been an okay owner for us. He just has never really been able to hire the right "Basketball" people yet, but on the business side? He's been quite good. He's made "The Q" a top flight arena IMO.
So Dan Gilbert has been an okay basketball franchise owner except for all the stuff involving basketball. Do it LeBron!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Lebron should dunk on comic sans repeatedly as the Terminator theme plays

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

So Dan Gilbert has been an okay basketball franchise owner except for all the stuff involving basketball. Do it LeBron!

The baseline has been lowered. Is our owner deeply racist and out of touch? If the answer is no you're not the worst.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Glamorama26 posted:

Lebron should dunk on comic sans repeatedly as the Terminator theme plays
lol

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

LeBron will return to Cleveland if it gives him the best shot at a championship. That's it.

Most Cavs fans don't think he's coming back, nor do they care (aside from a basic 'hey the Cavs will be loving awesome if LeBron comes back' thought), but people desperate for headlines, bandwagoners, and the kinds of people who comment on articles on the internet go "LEBRON BACK TO CLEVELAND?!?" because they are all worthless.

Comic sans was a response to a fanbase being poo poo on that was in the process of being poo poo on by Indians ownership (gently caress the Dolans) and Browns ownership (being the Browns), so it was cool and fun and silly and stupid and it was nice to not be poo poo on for having the gall to exist, and anybody who claims sports are not cool, fun, silly, and unbelievably stupid is lying.

Go Kyrie, Blatt, and Randle (I was convinced we were taking Noel #1 last year the moment we won the lottery, and when we won the lottery this time I was convinced we were going to take Wiggins, so with Embiid out of the picture the only option left is to go totally retarded).

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

so with Embiid out of the picture the only option left is to go totally retarded).

I'm sure the Cavs will not let you down.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm sure the Cavs will not let you down.

At this point, no matter what I win.

Wiggins? Oh hey we drafted the guy I wanted the entire time.

Parker? Questionable, but justifiable.

Anything else (barring a trade)? I get to laugh at the Cavs being amazingly stupid.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Great White Hope posted:

so it was cool and fun and silly and stupid and it was nice
Pretty sure it was only one of those things.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Just a quick reminder that Dan Gilbert and the Cavs's organization's response to a 66 win season was trading Ben Wallace's expiring contract, along with money, for Shaquille O'Neal (age 37), then picking up Antawn Jamison (age 33), as part of a master plan to surround LeBron with frontcourt players that couldn't run up and down the court or defend their position. Shaq was the highest paid member of the roster and Jamison was #3.

To put that into context, imagine if the Thunder's response to losing in the conference finals this year was to trade Ibaka for a center that plays no defense and/or is going to be hurt for at least half the year, and then followed that up by pulling a sign and trade to pick up a 33 year old Rudy Gay. That's about how dumb those moves were for a team that already had the best player in the league, a strong defensive post presence, and a solid 2nd offensive option in Mo Williams. If they would've just signed a Kyle Korver or Mike Miller to upgrade over Anthony Parker or Wally's ghost, maybe LeBron doesn't make The Decision quite as easily.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

laz0rbeak posted:

To put that into context, imagine if the Thunder's response to losing in the conference finals this year was to trade Ibaka for a center that plays no defense and/or is going to be hurt for at least half the year.

The Shaq trade was done to get a huge guy to hang over Dwight after the Magic beat the snot out of us (thanks to a lot of things done by not-Dwight players, but still).

And really, using the Thunder isn't a good example given that they did something much, much worse in the context of trying to win a title than any move the LeBron-Cavs ever did, aside from maybe the Larry Hughes contract.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Pairing a laneclogger with a tweener would have kinda worked if Jamison didn't shoot like 10% from the field while he was on the Cavs.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

laz0rbeak posted:

Just a quick reminder that Dan Gilbert and the Cavs's organization's response to a 66 win season was trading Ben Wallace's expiring contract, along with money, for Shaquille O'Neal (age 37), then picking up Antawn Jamison (age 33), as part of a master plan to surround LeBron with frontcourt players that couldn't run up and down the court or defend their position. Shaq was the highest paid member of the roster and Jamison was #3.

To put that into context, imagine if the Thunder's response to losing in the conference finals this year was to trade Ibaka for a center that plays no defense and/or is going to be hurt for at least half the year, and then followed that up by pulling a sign and trade to pick up a 33 year old Rudy Gay. That's about how dumb those moves were for a team that already had the best player in the league, a strong defensive post presence, and a solid 2nd offensive option in Mo Williams. If they would've just signed a Kyle Korver or Mike Miller to upgrade over Anthony Parker or Wally's ghost, maybe LeBron doesn't make The Decision quite as easily.

I really enjoy looking at Lebron Cavs on b-ref. They're so badly constructed. http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2008.html This is a good one

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2006.html
This one is really great too

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Speaking of those old Cavs team, I think the stupidest thing I have read in regards to LeBron is 'Jordan made his teammates better, LeBron does not.' Do these people not remember 'Mo Williams, All Star'

(I wish there was an extension to block all comments, because I hate them but like an alcoholic who can't have a beer in his house or he will relapse, as long as they are there I will read them)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Even if Gilbert had been nice, the Cavs suck and there is no reason to want to go back.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Also did Michael Jordan really make his teammates better in any real significant quantifiable way that LeBron doesn't

Unless we count changing their names, natch

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I wonder if Jamison sticks around next season for the 7 more points he needs to become the 42nd leading scorer of all time?

Kobe woulda passed MJ this year if he coulda played more than 6 games. Good that he gave Jordan another year to perfect a bitter statement.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

laz0rbeak posted:

Just a quick reminder that Dan Gilbert and the Cavs's organization's response to a 66 win season was trading Ben Wallace's expiring contract, along with money, for Shaquille O'Neal (age 37)

Four different teams brought in old fat Shaq as the last piece to their championship aspirations, and a half dozen other teams tried to do the same thing, it's not fair to single out the Cavs.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Declan MacManus posted:

Also did Michael Jordan really make his teammates better in any real significant quantifiable way that LeBron doesn't

Dennis Rodman ignored Isiah Thomas' calls when he was assembling a Korean all-star team because he learned all his leadership and diplomacy skills from Jordan.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fun fact, Shaq was once on the Celtics

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WhyteRyce posted:

NateRob the Fun Multiplier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UAFS5PGawg

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Shaq was a beast in 09. Ben Wallace wasn't giving great minutes then either. Shaq played like 900 more minutes in 09 than Wallace did. Cleveland gave up basically nothing other than Gilbert's money to get Shaq, isn't that what people want owners to do?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Cleveland was also consistently a top 3-4 team when LeBron was there but that's ignored too

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

I just bought a Shaq Celtics jersey off of ebay for like $25 last week :smugdog:

Lockback posted:

Shaq was a beast in 09. Ben Wallace wasn't giving great minutes then either. Shaq played like 900 more minutes in 09 than Wallace did. Cleveland gave up basically nothing other than Gilbert's money to get Shaq, isn't that what people want owners to do?

Yeah I think trading for Shaq was a pretty good move for the Cavs. He had just come off something like a 18/8 season with Phoenix and he cost them almost nothing to get. My memory is that there were very low expectations on him as well, like that they'd be thrilled if he gave them half a season and then twenty minutes a game in the playoffs.

Inside Outside fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 22, 2014

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Lockback posted:

Someone link the article that looked at all the moves Cleveland did after they landed Lebron compared to what SA did after landing Duncan.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

the_american_dream posted:

Cleveland was also consistently a top 3-4 team when LeBron was there but that's ignored too

Nobody ignores that? They were a top team because of Lebron and Varejao, not the lovely bunch of replacement level players around them.

It's odd that that Chicago gave a 33 year old Ben Wallace a 4 year 60m deal, and odder than Cleveland took on the last three years.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 22, 2014

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Someone link the article that looked at all the moves Cleveland did after they landed Lebron compared to what SA did after landing Duncan.

I would like to read this article if someone could link it? I tried googling for a few phrases but I could only find this

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I'm pretty sure that letter is what had me rooting for the Heat in the past 4 post-seasons. Dan Gilbert might be the biggest oval office out of all the owners in sports right now outside of Jerry Jones.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Dan Gilbert's whiny letter doesn't make him look like a dumb baby with a dirty diap because he has a lot of money

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Declan MacManus posted:

He taught many teammates how to take a punch.

Also ESPN reports that Melo asked a "high profile Chicagoan" what it's like being famous in the city. Please don't scare Melo away Jim Belushi

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

it was ferris bueller

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Frank Isola @FisolaNYDN · 1m

A person close to Carmelo Anthony confirms that Melo, as expected, will inform Knicks on Monday that he's opting out. "One hundred percent."

Melos going to walk out of New York and into Chicago never to be seen ever again.

:rip: it was fun

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

On one hand you have players mouthlessly furiously shaking their heads telling Melo to turn left to not come here but then they also want him to come on the small chance they will stop being asked to play 48 minutes in a playoff game.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I kinda want to see how disastrous a full season of Melo-less Knicks would be.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Could this be another blockbuster offseason??

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

I kinda want to see how disastrous a full season of Melo-less Knicks would be.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
The Pippen family were in Paris and visited the Louvre with Melo today, so realgm :downs: Bulls fans are going crazy about that.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Well, now I want JR Smith to have the worst 30+ ppg season of all time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
JR and Amare are going to both be all-stars and get to the 2nd round.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Carmelo, in New York you might have be the biggest sports star in the media capital of the world, but here in Chicago the people treat you right and let you dunk your healthy fritos five dollar footlongs through a basketball hoop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Noah, Melo, and Rose (insha'Allah) would be such a fun lineup to watch

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Carmelo, in New York you might have be the biggest sports star in the media capital of the world, but here in Chicago the people treat you right and let you dunk your healthy fritos five dollar footlongs through a basketball hoop

Unless you're Jay Cutler

• Locked thread