Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
What's a good hog war build? Thinking 20 hogs with five dragons. Two heals and a rage. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
What levels are these troops and what levels are your heroes?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

TraderStav posted:

What's a good hog war build? Thinking 20 hogs with five dragons. Two heals and a rage. Thoughts?

Hogs are an all or nothing thing. You'll want a bare minimum of wizards/archers to lure and kill royals and CC troops then the rest hogs, at least 24. You should only ever bring heal spells

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

b0ng posted:

What levels are these troops and what levels are your heroes?

L3 hogs and dragons and L5 barb king

Gangringo posted:

Hogs are an all or nothing thing. You'll want a bare minimum of wizards/archers to lure and kill royals and CC troops then the rest hogs, at least 24. You should only ever bring heal spells

Interesting. So maybe 5-10 archers and 5-10 barbs to lure and the rest hogs? Should I dump the hogs all in one or split them into two groups?

Jimmmmah
Oct 11, 2000
Forum Veteran
attempting to join Goon Tang Clan or Spergs of War, first one to let me in wins ! Username is jimface :)

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
The platonic ideal of hog armies is 28 hogs, 10 wizards, 10 minions, 20 archers, assuming 220 camp space :colbert:

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
As A TH8 with 200 space I've yet to fail to 3 star another TH8 running:
28 hogs
8 wiz
18 archer
10 barb
3 heals

Basically what Ixo uses, but scaled down one TH level.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
Me and my group of friends came up against a particularly terrible clan, 29/30 stars with one attack belonging to one of our higher level guys left. We were all ready for him to pull off an easy 3-star just for the sake of completeness, but then this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbjQWZooH4w

Also confirming that hog riders + potions will decimate anything TH8 or lower.

cr4zyd
Mar 31, 2011

cr4zyd fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 26, 2014

earthdivine
Apr 29, 2009
Picked this up during the forum downtime as something to do and I've been enjoying this so far. Didn't think I would be eagerly waiting for the phone to say my troops are waiting to attack, but it's surprisingly kinda fun to invade others. I've been using Barbarians and Goblins to quick grab resources while I'm still low enough that people don't have walls up to fully protect their collectors, however I know this can't last long. At what point do Goblins become obsolete? Is it worth to upgrade them or just shovel upgrades into archers and barbs at the moment?

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc

earthdivine posted:

Picked this up during the forum downtime as something to do and I've been enjoying this so far. Didn't think I would be eagerly waiting for the phone to say my troops are waiting to attack, but it's surprisingly kinda fun to invade others. I've been using Barbarians and Goblins to quick grab resources while I'm still low enough that people don't have walls up to fully protect their collectors, however I know this can't last long. At what point do Goblins become obsolete? Is it worth to upgrade them or just shovel upgrades into archers and barbs at the moment?

You can keep doing that for a long time. People will start putting up walls and you'll bring some wall breakers, then thier mortars will be better and you'll bring some giants to tank, but stealing poo poo with goblins is a viable strategy for months

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
UGievArchers has several spots open! Join, and experience the majesty of poopchat and Ronnie.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Welcome back forums, after crushing a clan with a 150* victory, 2Poor was matched up against a much tougher clan whom beat us pretty handily. One of their top guys spent something silly like $5000 USD on his base, and we thanked him for paying for the game. I cannot fathom spending $5000 USD on a F2P(P2W) video game.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I feel like I've hit a wall at the beginning of TH6: people take my resources almost as fast as I can get them, while I can only get 50000 gold/elixer max from the places I can actually beat, even after hitting next 50+ times. Time to drop trophies and hope to hoard gold from mines?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How could you possibly know how much someone spent on their base without them explicitly telling you?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

RCarr posted:

How could you possibly know how much someone spent on their base without them explicitly telling you?

math and hatred

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Secret Sweater posted:

As A TH8 with 200 space I've yet to fail to 3 star another TH8 running:
28 hogs
8 wiz
18 archer
10 barb
3 heals

Basically what Ixo uses, but scaled down one TH level.

I would reduce the number of hogs, add in 6-8 giants and some wallbreakers. That's what I've been running and having a lot of success with:

1. draw out CC troops with barbs, then kill them with archers
2. drop the rest of your giants at your point of attack, drop the rest of your archers behind them.
3. as soon as the first mortar round hits, drop your wallbreakers to get your giants in
4. drop your hogs behind the giants and drop your first heal spell on the mass
5. your hogs will probably split, so when they get truly separated, give each of them a heal spell.
6. if you had a fourth heal spell, when the hogs come back together, you give the remainder the fourth heal spell.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

You can see how much gold a player has stolen in their profile. You can compare that number to the cumulative costs section of the coc wiki to get an idea of if they gemmed. For example, taking all walls to max level costs roughly 2.2 billion gold (4800$usd). If their gold grab cheeve shows they've only ever stolen 1 million gold, the remainder was purchased with gems.

Nobody should give a gently caress, but our special little flower jm has his OCD to deal with.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Nice thinly veiled "look at my gold grab" dickwaving. You aren't fooling me :colbert:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
A Primer in how to calculate how much someone has spent on the game :goonsay:

Resources

Nice and Tidy: more or less a good judgement of how long you have played the game. 500 obstacles roughly equates to 6 months of playtime. If they do not participate in tree pruning then this is not relevant.

Gold Grab: you can compare how much gold he has with how many expensive wall segments they have, or less often structures. If you also compare this to their collectors and how long they have played it will give a rough estimate of how much gold they could possibly have earned in the best case

Conquerer: this will give a rough estimate of how active someone is, compare this to the playtime formula and you can see how many battles per month they are doing. Also look at the end of a 2 week attack cycle.

Heroic Heist: compare this directly to their heroes and DE troops. Ignore drills unless their heros are under 10, they provide basically nothing overall.

Find the total resources and write it down and keep it handy for the next sections

Building Time

So once you figure out how much resources they have gemmed you can also calculate how much they have gemmed based on their builders. If you multiply their quantity builders by the estimated building time for their buildings you can see how far apart they are. A near maxed TH9 sans heroes can be approximately done in 8 months, TH10 requires ~72d on top of that, again without heros. Heroes will set you back 227 days each, so from start to finish they require a minimum of 227d for both BK and AQ.

Now keep a tally of how many estimated days they have fast tracked

Troops

Very hard to accurately gauge, but if they are a 6mo player who has maxed troops including DE you can safely make an assumption. Failing this you can accurately calculate how long this takes, but this depends on your level of :spergin: Lab time is linear so unless you are hurling gems at the game you certainly won't have max troops any time soon (10mo+)

Costs

So once you have an idea of how much resources they have gemmed, how much builder time, and estimated lab time sped up, you can proceed to the calculators on the following pages. This wont help you win but it might let you sleep better at night as you cuddle your girlfriend pillow, not girlfriend. Assume they also gem their barracks or troops for attacks as well, but you can't quantify this at all so :iiam:

http://clashofclans.wikia.com/wiki/Cumulative_Costs

edit: missed a sentence woops

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 26, 2014

Fragmaster
Dec 1, 2000

nerdshoe

ixo posted:

You can see how much gold a player has stolen in their profile. You can compare that number to the cumulative costs section of the coc wiki to get an idea of if they gemmed. For example, taking all walls to max level costs roughly 2.2 billion gold (4800$usd). If their gold grab cheeve shows they've only ever stolen 1 million gold, the remainder was purchased with gems.

Hate to correct you, but that's not true. Prior to an update in August 2013 (I think), gold grab was capped at 100m, once you hit the achievement. So if their account is old basically all their activity from launch to August 2013 would only count as 100m gold grab at a maximum.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

jm20 posted:

A Primer in how to calculate how much someone has spent on the game :goonsay:

Resources

Nice and Tidy: more or less a good judgement of how long you have played the game. 500 obstacles roughly equates to 6 months of playtime. If they do not participate in

Gold Grab: you can compare how much gold he has with how many expensive wall segments they have, or less often structures. If you also compare this to their collectors and how long they have played it will give a rough estimate of how much gold they could possibly have earned in the best case

Conquerer: this will give a rough estimate of how active someone is, compare this to the playtime formula and you can see how many battles per month they are doing. Also look at the end of a 2 week attack cycle.

Heroic Heist: compare this directly to their heroes and DE troops. Ignore drills unless their heros are under 10, they provide basically nothing overall.

Find the total resources and write it down and keep it handy for the next sections

Building Time

So once you figure out how much resources they have gemmed you can also calculate how much they have gemmed based on their builders. If you multiply their quantity builders by the estimated building time for their buildings you can see how far apart they are. A near maxed TH9 sans heroes can be approximately done in 8 months, TH10 requires ~72d on top of that, again without heros. Heroes will set you back 227 days each, so from start to finish they require a minimum of 227d for both BK and AQ.

Now keep a tally of how many estimated days they have fast tracked

Troops

Very hard to accurately gauge, but if they are a 6mo player who has maxed troops including DE you can safely make an assumption. Failing this you can accurately calculate how long this takes, but this depends on your level of :spergin: Lab time is linear so unless you are hurling gems at the game you certainly won't have max troops any time soon (10mo+)

Costs

So once you have an idea of how much resources they have gemmed, how much builder time, and estimated lab time sped up, you can proceed to the calculators on the following pages. This wont help you win but it might let you sleep better at night as you cuddle your girlfriend pillow, not girlfriend. Assume they also gem their barracks or troops for attacks as well, but you can't quantify this at all so :iiam:

http://clashofclans.wikia.com/wiki/Cumulative_Costs

5/5 sperging would read again :awesome:

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Question: If I place a Hidden Tesla in a remote corner of the map, will units that prioritize defenses still go for it if it isn't visible/activated? I'm just curious if it's a viable tactic to put it somewhere remote in a Clan War, in an attempt to prevent getting 3-starred.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

The Crusher posted:

Question: If I place a Hidden Tesla in a remote corner of the map, will units that prioritize defenses still go for it if it isn't visible/activated? I'm just curious if it's a viable tactic to put it somewhere remote in a Clan War, in an attempt to prevent getting 3-starred.

They will not target it until it is activated. It will activate if anything comes within range, or they destroy 50% of your buildings. I don't think it's worth sacrificing a tesla coil doing, personally.

Fragmaster
Dec 1, 2000

nerdshoe

The Crusher posted:

It's not a viable tactic because it'll reveal itself once the base has been 51%'d.

Also the fact I know about this and the gold grab thing above is making be very :cry: I HAVE A CoC PROBLEM

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Fragmaster posted:

Hate to correct you, but that's not true. Prior to an update in August 2013 (I think), gold grab was capped at 100m, once you hit the achievement. So if their account is old basically all their activity from launch to August 2013 would only count as 100m gold grab at a maximum.

Sorry to be pedantic, but you can also reference their tree pruning achievement to see if this is indeed the case. If they have let's estimate a sub-1000 tree pruning achievement and have no obstacles (trees) you can connect the dots to see they are a newer than August 2013 player. By also comparing against the other statistics (number of attacks specifically) you can see if this scenario would apply to a player in question.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Shame, guess I'll have to defend like everyone else.

And what's the sperg reccommended attack squad for a middle-aged TH7? At 190 camp size I generally build:
70 archers
12 giants
7 wizards
2 wall breakers
2 healers
2 healing spells

With that I usually just send an archer to test the waters, then dump giants to the closest anti-air with all my wizards/archers behind them until I can safely drop healers.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
8 days to go from TH7-8? Fuckin' bullshit, man. I need that worker to make walls and dig up small bushs

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I would reduce the number of hogs, add in 6-8 giants and some wallbreakers. That's what I've been running and having a lot of success with:

1. draw out CC troops with barbs, then kill them with archers
2. drop the rest of your giants at your point of attack, drop the rest of your archers behind them.
3. as soon as the first mortar round hits, drop your wallbreakers to get your giants in
4. drop your hogs behind the giants and drop your first heal spell on the mass
5. your hogs will probably split, so when they get truly separated, give each of them a heal spell.
6. if you had a fourth heal spell, when the hogs come back together, you give the remainder the fourth heal spell.

If having 30-40 housing spots devoted to giants and however many else to wbs is working for you, all the power to you, it just sounds like a bad idea to me. If the enemy is putting spring traps in between defenses like they should, your hogs will pass the giants quickly then fizzle out as they get killed/sprung. If the follow up is a bunch of giants that will be hitting walls for the last part of the raid, you're probably not going to have enough damage to finish off their buildings.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

The Crusher posted:

Shame, guess I'll have to defend like everyone else.

And what's the sperg reccommended attack squad for a middle-aged TH7? At 190 camp size I generally build:
70 archers
12 giants
7 wizards
2 wall breakers
2 healers
2 healing spells

With that I usually just send an archer to test the waters, then dump giants to the closest anti-air with all my wizards/archers behind them until I can safely drop healers.

Level 1 dragons, and upgrade your army camps. It's pretty easy to drop 3x lightning on an AD or rage/heal as they molest the bases. Try to avoid bases that have multiple level 4 AD's or higher.

earthdivine
Apr 29, 2009
How does the game's matchmaking system work, does it try to match you up with people roughly around the amount of trophies you have or some other arbitrary mechanic? I've been getting matched with bases that have TH6+ in some cases while I'm still sitting here in TH4 land, I can't fathom why it would allow such a pair to even come up.

On that note, should I even throw my troops at these deserted TH6+ bases? It seems like a great opportunity to get 10k-ish resources, but it also looks like it'd be a waste of troops if I can't dent these walls.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

earthdivine posted:

How does the game's matchmaking system work, does it try to match you up with people roughly around the amount of trophies you have or some other arbitrary mechanic? I've been getting matched with bases that have TH6+ in some cases while I'm still sitting here in TH4 land, I can't fathom why it would allow such a pair to even come up.

On that note, should I even throw my troops at these deserted TH6+ bases? It seems like a great opportunity to get 10k-ish resources, but it also looks like it'd be a waste of troops if I can't dent these walls.

Matchmaking is solely based on your trophies. You will be matched +/- 250 trophies.

By all means steal the 250k+ from collectors from abandoned bases. Try to maintain your trophy count if you find a good area.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

For a while I thought I'd be clever and try to maximize my resource gain vs. resource spent on troops by just using 5 or so archers on any base with exposed collectors, taking roughly 20-50k here and there. It was good for a time, but by the time I dropped down to 600-700 Trophies it was much harder to consistently farm. It's much better just finding the loaded base with 150K+ in each reserve and unloading your whole army, doing that every 45 mins or at your liesure.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Butt Discussin posted:

I feel like I've hit a wall at the beginning of TH6: people take my resources almost as fast as I can get them, while I can only get 50000 gold/elixer max from the places I can actually beat, even after hitting next 50+ times. Time to drop trophies and hope to hoard gold from mines?

Are you using Thinkmeats Supreme from the OP? Swap out your TH for your Lab for a quick 12 hour shield. People will drop a handful of archers for the easy win and move on. Its a solid design too.

TH6 seems like the first major time sink. I have the best luck with barch when I have some time to play. Six WBs and a couple of heal spells. Just skip forever until you find a base worth over 100k gold and elixir with, at most, yellow walls. Pick a side with weak AoE and unleash your horde. Make sure to check the CC too. I drop a line of barbs, then a line or archers. Drop WBs, a heal on the breach, and drop the other 40 barbs and 40 archers and my CC. Drop the other heal when the first fades on the biggest clump of barbs, and hopefully you can roll through the rest of the base.

I also like 2 healers, 7 giants, 6 WBs, and the remainder in archers and barbs.

This has worked well for me. The amount of farming seems daunting, and upgrade times are measured in days. So play Boom Beach too!

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Don't use spells when farming resources unless you have to, the whole point of barbarian and archer armies is they cost so little and build quickly. Unless you're at the point where you don't need elixir anymore, then go hog wild.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

At TH 7 ive been staying in the 1500-1600 Trophy Range farming, I just run 200 Archers and 3 lightning spells but usually I dont use the spells or anywhere near half my troops, I can farm up 2 million gold and elixir an hour pretty easily. Hit next,drop 5-6 archers on exposed townhalls or drop loads or archers around exposed collectors, ive maxed all my walls at 7 now and am still a week from starting th 8 going because I need to finish defenses. Archerswarm owns and takes 15 minutes to refill an army.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
As a full time barcher... I find your claim of 2m per hour easily to be dubious. Unless you're boosting rax.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Seriously, if the pickings are slim it can take 20 minutes of pressing the next button just to find someone worth attacking. Sometimes I never find a good one and just settle for less. Every now and then you run into a 400k gold and elixir cash grab on the first try, but not often enough for 2m/hr

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

I have to farm my balls off at th8 barching for 2m gold/elixer. 1500 to 1600 trophies is a pretty good range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Secret Sweater posted:

As a full time barcher... I find your claim of 2m per hour easily to be dubious. Unless you're boosting rax.

Boosting Rax is considerably more, I hit TH 7 six days ago and finished maxing 175 walls to 7 at 200k apiece right before Spergs war started yesterday. I boosted barracks for that and just farmed for 2 hours every day during the boost. I think boosting 2 barracks I was pulling in over 3 mil an hour in gold using archers.

E: The only thing ive spent real money on is gems to buy my 5th builders hut because I was making more gold than I could spend and still am.

Tim Jong-un fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 27, 2014