Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

harperdc posted:

Another idea might be aping baseball player Ichiro Suzuki, which as a name is something like Joe Johnson in Japan - especially in kanji - so he usually is referred to in katakana (イチロー) and his first name alone to boot. That's one of the only sports stars I can think of who uses katakana, and since he's such a legend, that might be a reason too. Actor and director Beat Takeshi is another person who's famous and used katakana too.

Tl;dr it's rare and, therefore, memorable.

Supposedly if you write a letter to Ichiro with just the name, Ichiro on it and Japan listed as the country, his fan mail dept will get the letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My grandpa, a huge AWA fan back in the day, passed away recently and when we were looking through photos we found one of him in the mid-80s posing next to a cardboard cutout of Mr. Magnificent Kevin Kelly. I didn't recognize the name so I looked it up and found out he was Nailz. Now I need to know, did Nailz really kick Vince McMahon's rear end over a pay dispute?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Is there anywhere I could see a list of the Money in the Bank ladder matches that DOESN'T include the winner? I've mostly been out of wrestling the last ~7 years, getting back into it via the network. I wanted to watch some of the history to bone up before the PPV. Any particularly great ones? Or ones I should avoid?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Pet Rock Band posted:

Is there anywhere I could see a list of the Money in the Bank ladder matches that DOESN'T include the winner? I've mostly been out of wrestling the last ~7 years, getting back into it via the network. I wanted to watch some of the history to bone up before the PPV. Any particularly great ones? Or ones I should avoid?

I assume you're avoiding spoilers. From Wikipedia; I inserted the winner randomly with the names of the also-rans:

At Wrestlemania:
2005:
Chris Benoit, Edge, Chris Jericho, Shelton Benjamin, Kane, Christian

2006:
Rob Van Dam, Matt Hardy, Shelton Benjamin, Ric Flair, Finlay, Bobby Lashley

2007:
Edge, Jeff Hardy, CM Punk, King Booker, Finlay, Matt Hardy, Randy Orton, Mr. Kennedy

2008:
Mr. Kennedy, Chris Jericho, Shelton Benjamin, Carlito, John Morrison, MVP, CM Punk

2009:
Christian, Shelton Benjamin, CM Punk, Kane, Finlay, MVP, Kofi Kingston, Mark Henry

2010:
Shelton Benjamin, Christian, Kane, Matt Hardy, Drew McIntyre, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston, Evan Bourne, MVP, Dolph Ziggler

At Money in The Bank:
2010: Heavyweight Title:
Christian, Matt Hardy, Kane, Big Show, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston, Drew McIntyre, Cody Rhodes

2010: WWE Title:
Randy Orton, The Miz, Chris Jericho, Edge, John Morrison, Evan Bourne, Ted DiBiase, Mark Henry

2011: Heavyweight Title:
Wade Barrett, Kane, Cody Rhodes, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, Sin Cara, Justin Gabriel, Heath Slater

2011: WWE Title:
The Miz, Rey Mysterio, Jack Swagger, Alberto Del Rio, R-Truth, Kofi Kingston, Evan Bourne, Alex Riley

2012: Heavyweight Title:
Cody Rhodes, Damien Sandow, Christian, Dolph Ziggler, Tyson Kidd, Sin Cara, Tensai, Santino Marella

2012: WWE Title:
John Cena, Chris Jericho, The Miz, Kane, The Big Show

2013: Heavyweight Title:
Cody Rhodes, Wade Barrett, Damien Sandow, Dean Ambrose, Jack Swagger, Fandango, Antonio Cesaro

2013: WWE Title:
CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Christian, Randy Orton, Sheamus, Rob Van Dam

2014:
Seth Rollins, ???

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

My grandpa, a huge AWA fan back in the day, passed away recently and when we were looking through photos we found one of him in the mid-80s posing next to a cardboard cutout of Mr. Magnificent Kevin Kelly. I didn't recognize the name so I looked it up and found out he was Nailz. Now I need to know, did Nailz really kick Vince McMahon's rear end over a pay dispute?

Dave Meltzer actually talked about this in the recent Sin Limite and yeah, he did - Nailz didn't like the payoff he had recieved from a big ppv (either Summerslam 92 or Survivor Series 92), and so he went into Vince's office, shouted at him for a while, and eventually started choking Vince. Slaughter and a few others broke it up, but then Nailz immediately called the police claiming Vince had sexually assaulted him, which (along with the claim that Vince had told him to go on steroids) lead to a bunch of lawsuits back and forth that went nowhere.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Shima Honnou posted:

I assume you're avoiding spoilers. From Wikipedia; I inserted the winner randomly with the names of the also-rans:

At Wrestlemania:
2005:
Chris Benoit, Edge, Chris Jericho, Shelton Benjamin, Kane, Christian

2006:
Rob Van Dam, Matt Hardy, Shelton Benjamin, Ric Flair, Finlay, Bobby Lashley

2007:
Edge, Jeff Hardy, CM Punk, King Booker, Finlay, Matt Hardy, Randy Orton, Mr. Kennedy

2008:
Mr. Kennedy, Chris Jericho, Shelton Benjamin, Carlito, John Morrison, MVP, CM Punk

2009:
Christian, Shelton Benjamin, CM Punk, Kane, Finlay, MVP, Kofi Kingston, Mark Henry

2010:
Shelton Benjamin, Christian, Kane, Matt Hardy, Drew McIntyre, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston, Evan Bourne, MVP, Dolph Ziggler

At Money in The Bank:
2010: Heavyweight Title:
Christian, Matt Hardy, Kane, Big Show, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston, Drew McIntyre, Cody Rhodes

2010: WWE Title:
Randy Orton, The Miz, Chris Jericho, Edge, John Morrison, Evan Bourne, Ted DiBiase, Mark Henry

2011: Heavyweight Title:
Wade Barrett, Kane, Cody Rhodes, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, Sin Cara, Justin Gabriel, Heath Slater

2011: WWE Title:
The Miz, Rey Mysterio, Jack Swagger, Alberto Del Rio, R-Truth, Kofi Kingston, Evan Bourne, Alex Riley

2012: Heavyweight Title:
Cody Rhodes, Damien Sandow, Christian, Dolph Ziggler, Tyson Kidd, Sin Cara, Tensai, Santino Marella

2012: WWE Title:
John Cena, Chris Jericho, The Miz, Kane, The Big Show

2013: Heavyweight Title:
Cody Rhodes, Wade Barrett, Damien Sandow, Dean Ambrose, Jack Swagger, Fandango, Antonio Cesaro

2013: WWE Title:
CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Christian, Randy Orton, Sheamus, Rob Van Dam

2014:
Seth Rollins, ???

Thank you so much for this! I didn't realize they were only on Wrestlemania and Money in the Bank PPVs

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Since you also asked about quality, while some are probably better than others all of them are at the very least entertaining in that car crash sort of way. I don't really remember any particularly bad MITBs just some lesser ones.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shima Honnou posted:

2008:

Is this the one where Kennedy and Shelton have that "Oh, poo poo, Mom always told us not to play Money in the Bank in the house" moment?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Perry Normal posted:

Since you also asked about quality, while some are probably better than others all of them are at the very least entertaining in that car crash sort of way. I don't really remember any particularly bad MITBs just some lesser ones.

Any MITB match with Shelton Benjamin in it is automatically awesome.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So the June 7, 1993 episode of RAW has a pretty fun tag team match: Billy Gunn & Rick Steiner vs. I.R.S. & Fatu. Members of four different established tag teams, mixed and matched.

It's not exactly a good match due to relying too much on interference—and being really loving racist—but the wrestling is solid, and I like the idea behind it. Are there any examples of this sort of match done well?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Could someone explain to me this stigma associated with being a "transitional champion," for me? I see it rear it's head a lot, and it's been more and more prevalent now that three up-and-coming guys are in a potential position to pick up the title for a short reign until Bryan comes back.

I mean, I understand that winning the title and then dropping it at the very next PPV or on the following Raw or something like that isn't great for a guy. But if you're talking about a 2 month reign until Summerslam? When does transitional end and being a real champion begin? Is 3 or 4 months the minimum for a "real," title reign, or should it be even longer than that?

I guess I just don't get why people are saying that if Bray, Roman or Cesaro win it'll be bad for them because they will be losing it soon. They'd still have a title reign in their history, and it'd be a longer one than any of Bryan's 4 title reigns to boot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

Could someone explain to me this stigma associated with being a "transitional champion," for me? I see it rear it's head a lot, and it's been more and more prevalent now that three up-and-coming guys are in a potential position to pick up the title for a short reign until Bryan comes back.

I mean, I understand that winning the title and then dropping it at the very next PPV or on the following Raw or something like that isn't great for a guy. But if you're talking about a 2 month reign until Summerslam? When does transitional end and being a real champion begin? Is 3 or 4 months the minimum for a "real," title reign, or should it be even longer than that?

I guess I just don't get why people are saying that if Bray, Roman or Cesaro win it'll be bad for them because they will be losing it soon. They'd still have a title reign in their history, and it'd be a longer one than any of Bryan's 4 title reigns to boot.

Transitional champions happen when:

1) They want to put the title on another hot star that they like, but they don't want to do that match with the first hot star they have for whatever reason (they're saving it for later, the two wrestlers don't like each other)

2) Everyone they'd rather give it to is injured.

The less affectionate term is "belt pillow." As transitional champion, it's on the books and you get to say that you're a former world heavyweight champion. However, the storyline focus throughout your reign was on other wrestlers, your reign was probably really short, and you're quickly forgotten about in the booking afterward.

When people talk about "transitional champions" now it takes on a newer meaning. They've put the title on a lot of guys recently to make them seem more important, but how they are booked says otherwise. The Miz and Jack Swagger come to mind. Both guys were treated like jokes as champions and have settled into permanent midcard status.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

It mattered a lot more when being world champion meant something and having a placeholder reign made people think you weren't able to be "the guy."

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

What are some spots/moves that really take you out of the match/spoil the reality for you? Something that just looks blatantly fake or unrealistic.

For me, I always hate the 'multiple punches to the head' spot (usually when the opponent is supine). The hits just look so weak it really breaks the suspension of disbelief for me.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Spikey Willow posted:

What are some spots/moves that really take you out of the match/spoil the reality for you? Something that just looks blatantly fake or unrealistic.

For me, I always hate the 'multiple punches to the head' spot (usually when the opponent is supine). The hits just look so weak it really breaks the suspension of disbelief for me.

Booyaka booyaka 619.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
I don't wanna get banned or anything for asking this so I'm gonna post something on-topic at the end, but I've only ever hung around PSP on here and I don't where to look. Is there any way I can change my bookmark of this thread so that it takes me right to the latest page, like where in the URL it says pagenumber=200? I've tried an 'n' and a question mark then immediately ran out of ideas.

AND does someone take over for Vince barking commentary orders when he's in the ring, and if not, is he likely to listen back to those segments to brew criticism?

Love y'all

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

magnum_valentino posted:

I don't wanna get banned or anything for asking this so I'm gonna post something on-topic at the end, but I've only ever hung around PSP on here and I don't where to look. Is there any way I can change my bookmark of this thread so that it takes me right to the latest page, like where in the URL it says pagenumber=200? I've tried an 'n' and a question mark then immediately ran out of ideas.

AND does someone take over for Vince barking commentary orders when he's in the ring, and if not, is he likely to listen back to those segments to brew criticism?

Love y'all

nope and the commentators just wing it

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Spikey Willow posted:

Five Finger Shuffle
People's Elbow
any Memphis-style punches
Flying nothings
the list goes on and on but you're supposed to turn off your brain while watching rassling.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

If you break it down, Irish Whips make no sense at all.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Spikey Willow posted:

Really old ECW whenever Joey Styles would yell OH MY GOD THAT MOVE MUST HAVE BROKEN HIS SPINE or something else really over the top after a guy gets suplexed or something. He got better at that.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Bigass Moth posted:

any Memphis-style punches

Are these the "stomp the ground while vaguely making a punching motion toward your opponent" punches? I don't know what to call those, but it's definitely the most common completely unconvincing move I've seen.

I just watched Yokozuna vs Hogan from King of the Ring '93, and perhaps the worst part of that match was Yoko's limp bear hug that seemed to go on forever. So for my personal least-favorite I'm going to go with submissions where neither of the wrestlers involved seem to care about making it look good.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Flying nothings

I really hate it when guys come flying off the top rope with apparently no plan other then to get blasted by their opponent.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Unless it's Dean Ambrose, whose offense almost entirely consists of successfully connecting Flying Nothings and limb flailing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Grey posted:

I really hate it when guys come flying off the top rope with apparently no plan other then to get blasted by their opponent.

I saw a match recently where a guy who never does aerial stuff (I forget who) climbs to the top rope and waits. The other guy was turned around selling, oblivious or missed his cue or something and never knocks him down. Eventually he realizes he looks really dumb and jumps a foot in front of the turnbuckle and does a flying double axe handle like it's 1980. A review described it as "the move you think the babyface that always gets knocked down is going to do".

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I always got overly irritated whenever HHH went for a pedrigree right next to the ropes so he could get tossed over them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

oldpainless posted:

I always got overly irritated whenever HHH went for a pedrigree right next to the ropes so he could get tossed over them.

At least you could conceivably visualize him hitting it next to the ropes.

Razor Ramon going for the Razor's Edge near the ropes was way more blatantly obvious.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

anakha posted:

At least you could conceivably visualize him hitting it next to the ropes.

Razor Ramon going for the Razor's Edge near the ropes was way more blatantly obvious.

never say never https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttsDjZrI8NI

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

magnum_valentino posted:

Love y'all

I was going to PM you so as to not poo poo up the thread, but yeah. If your bookmark looks like this:
code:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3180956&goto=newpost
it will take you to the first unread post for this thread. Each thread has a unique number that you can change in the middle there.

The forum keeps track of what posts you've read so you don't have to!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

oldpainless posted:

Likewise, a guy on the apron going for a vertical suplex.

Funny that the flying nothing is mentioned, because Jericho hit a flying nothing on Alex Wright on the last Tuesday Nitro (Road Wild '97).

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Memphis style punches are loving awesome.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Biosys posted:

Dave Meltzer actually talked about this in the recent Sin Limite and yeah, he did - Nailz didn't like the payoff he had recieved from a big ppv (either Summerslam 92 or Survivor Series 92), and so he went into Vince's office, shouted at him for a while, and eventually started choking Vince. Slaughter and a few others broke it up, but then Nailz immediately called the police claiming Vince had sexually assaulted him, which (along with the claim that Vince had told him to go on steroids) lead to a bunch of lawsuits back and forth that went nowhere.

I find it hilarious that they even had plans for Nailz other than 'jobber'. The guy looked like poo poo.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Biosys posted:

Slaughter and a few others broke it up, but then Nailz immediately called the police claiming Vince had sexually assaulted him, which (along with the claim that Vince had told him to go on steroids) lead to a bunch of lawsuits back and forth that went nowhere.

Nailz actually played a significant role in Vince's steroid trial. He was such an unreliable witness for the prosecution that it helped create reasonable doubt. It wasn't the only thing that got Vince off but it helped.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Supposedly if you write a letter to Ichiro with just the name, Ichiro on it and Japan listed as the country, his fan mail dept will get the letter.

It wouldn't shock me too much, Japan Post has done more with less before ("foreigner name, small town and prefecture, Japan" supposedly has worked for some of my friends).

The "this move is never going to work" spot kinda sucks. Guys in WWE now have signature spots that only ever get reversed or lead to a 2.5 count. I really wish they'd finish squash matches with B-finishers more often to help build up the near-falls more, but that's just me.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Hockles posted:

I've always been bothered whenever someone whipped an opponent into ropes only to hunch over as if out of breath and then act surprised that they took a boot or knee to the face. It makes no sense and it's so blatantly telegraphed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Spikey Willow posted:

Any finisher that's just a punch or kick from a standing position. Brogue Kick and WMD, especially. You irish whip a dude like 14 times and don't go for your finisher every time?

Takes me right out. At least Sweet Chin Music and such has a run-up.

Hockles posted:

If somebody grabs your arm and hurls you across the ring, your options are to fall, or to run. Makes enough sense to be going on with, I think.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Spikey Willow posted:

The Worm.

Seriously. Scott Taylor slams a guy's head into the mat in such a devastating fashion that he can't move for 30+ seconds, and Taylor dances instead of pinning him.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

magnum_valentino posted:

Love y'all

It's &goto=newpost or &goto=lastpost, IIRC.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Petit Gregory posted:

I've always been bothered whenever someone whipped an opponent into ropes only to hunch over as if out of breath and then act surprised that they took a boot or knee to the face. It makes no sense and it's so blatantly telegraphed.

The hunch is the guy setting up for a back body drop.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Memphis style punches are loving awesome.
What are those, again?

LividLiquid posted:

Any finisher that's just a punch or kick from a standing position. Brogue Kick and WMD, especially. You irish whip a dude like 14 times and don't go for your finisher every time?

Takes me right out. At least Sweet Chin Music and such has a run-up.
The WMD is poo poo, but I don't understand why people make this complaint about the Brogue Kick. Maybe it's just because I did a little tournament karate and I understand the timing and distancing, etc. that goes into landing a jumping kick, but a running jumping kick is a move that your opponent is going to see coming and avoid/counter if they're not worn down and the timing isn't right.

Now, on the other hand, I totally agree on instances where somebody makes a finisher out of a move that's barely considered a spot at all. If you're going to do that, you have to be particularly good at it, and make it special every time. In the WWE, that always ends up breaking down very quickly. Test's boot, JBL's clothesline, Barrett's elbow, Big Show's punch...they all very quickly turned into "This guy's fist is magical, so a punch is a finisher." That kind of thing really takes me out of the match. I think the worst instance I can think of is the Sheamus vs. Big Show match at TLC. The match ends with the spot where Sheamus misses the Brogue Kick and hangs his hamstring on the ropes...and Big Show kinda tripped over his own feet coming out of the corner, so the WMD was just a really awkward left jab. Ruined the finish for me.

quote:

If somebody grabs your arm and hurls you across the ring, your options are to fall, or to run. Makes enough sense to be going on with, I think.
Conventions like this work a lot better when they're occasionally broken, with some logic as to why that happened. The key example is Jake Roberts vs. Rick Rude, where Rude worked Jake's leg so bad that he Irish Whipped Jake and Jake just flopped onto the mat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

The hunch is the guy setting up for a back body drop.

I don't recall anyone successfully performing an Irish Whip -> Back Body Drop in the 6 months I've been watching WWE. I recall plenty of Irish Whip -> Face Kicks, though.