Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Episode 7 of Kerbalcast is out!

http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/kerbal-podcast-007

We talk about :
Peoples responses about ModStatistics.
Looting the Sun for easy science.
Red Planet

We are also guests on the KSPTV twitch channel on Friday at 7pm CST. :jeb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What is the bf hardline video they are talking about on IT?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Jippa posted:

What is the bf hardline video they are talking about on IT?

This Polygon interview: http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/12/5802816/battlefield-hardline-gameplay-e3-2014

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The Crackdown episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is out.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/76

Up next is Gabriel Knight II: The Beast Within, followed by Cave Story, then Suikoden II.

I'm happy that this thread is back (along with the rest of the forums, I guess).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Thanks for the link - I was looking for this too.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
Trigger Warning for Scotch people in the Crackdown episode!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Two weeks of Thumbs with Danielle Rose Reindeau? :swoon:

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
She'll probably be around more frequently: https://www.idlethumbs.net/about#about-page-hosts

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Phone posted:

Two weeks of Thumbs with Danielle Rose Reindeau? :swoon:
Danielle "Junior Mints" Reindeau.

cbirdsong posted:

She'll probably be around more frequently: https://www.idlethumbs.net/about#about-page-hosts
Maybe even as often as Nick Breckon!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

cbirdsong posted:

That's great. There have been some kind of bummer Idle Thumbs episodes in the last year where they don't have much to talk about. More guests please.

I actually wish they would bring back Chris Kohler, if he's interested. Hearing him on Retronauts reminded me that I really like him, but I tried listening to a couple episodes of the Wired games podcast, and there's just too much of him on there. Even when there's three people on the podcast, he seriously does like 90 percent of the talking.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

cbirdsong posted:

Ahhhhh! I've been hitting the guys up on Twitter every time she's on to tell them they should make her a permanent Thumb. I'm so happy this is happening! :allears:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Danielle "Junior Mints" Reindeau.

Maybe even as often as Nick Breckon!

Who's Nick Breckon?

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I think he meant Ethnic Breckon.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Randallteal posted:

I actually wish they would bring back Chris Kohler, if he's interested. Hearing him on Retronauts reminded me that I really like him, but I tried listening to a couple episodes of the Wired games podcast, and there's just too much of him on there. Even when there's three people on the podcast, he seriously does like 90 percent of the talking.

So, you're like the Goldilocks of Chris Kohler %.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Is it possible to not play a game twice? This interview anti-sold me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ok I need to see this picture of Vanaman getting suplexed on a deck, who has it?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

The guy sounds and acts like that crazy over the top rich rear end in a top hat in GTA5, except real.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

synertia posted:

The guy sounds and acts like that crazy over the top rich rear end in a top hat in GTA5, except real.

He is the embodiment of the target audience for modern fpses.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What minute of that polygon video are they talking about?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Jippa posted:

What minute of that polygon video are they talking about?

I think it's around the six and a half minute mark?

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I see the Level finally got their BioShock Infinite episode.

I can't tell ya how long I've been waiting for this one.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Yep. Sorry to keep you waiting for a year. I'll take the blame for the lack of Bonus Levels. I'm hesitant to do them too often because it's already really hard to keep up with assignment play.

I hope you like the Infinite episode. Next week is a shorter show about Burial at Sea, which we've already recorded to make room for my vacation.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Is that bald time traveller from 1998 Arthur "the human wet blanket" Gies?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Song For The Deaf posted:

Up next is Gabriel Knight II: The Beast Within, followed by Cave Story, then Suikoden II.

I'm happy that this thread is back (along with the rest of the forums, I guess).

I love that you guys latched onto the same thing we did in my apartment:

"The Enigmatic Wang"

Man, I played the hell out of that game. I think I might've beaten it like three times, which never happens. When I bought my 360, I also grabbed Crackdown, Burnout Paradise, and COD4. COD4 didn't see much play.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Holy smokes.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Tir McDohl posted:

Holy smokes.

I was hoping for Paper Mario to win but I guess Suikoden 2 would rouse better discussion. Suikoden 2 is a generally good game although it has some interesting flaws.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Eggie posted:

I was hoping for Paper Mario to win but I guess Suikoden 2 would rouse better discussion. Suikoden 2 is a generally good game although it has some interesting flaws.

Yeah, my biggest concern is the fact that it has one of the worst localizations. There's literally a part where a woman sings a song and in the US version the song doesn't play so you sit there in silence for several minutes. I'm going to have a lot to say about this one when they get to it. It's quite possibly my favorite game of all time but boy does it have problems.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Are the Suikoden games actually "Outlaws of the Marsh' or are they like most Saiyukis and barely even related to the ostensible source?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Are the Suikoden games actually "Outlaws of the Marsh' or are they like most Saiyukis and barely even related to the ostensible source?

They're inspired by, not directly connected. It's a fairly standard fantasy setting where each game is based around gathering 108 "stars of destiny" to form an army and defeat the bad guys - each game has a bunch of different flaws, but it's probably still my favourite RPG series ever because of how well-developed the overall world is, and the ways in which each game touches on stories and characters that are merely hinted at in the others is super interesting.

The fact that it remained a relatively niche series and then just died out of sheer neglect is one of the biggest bummers in gaming.

Fun fact: In an interview with Warren Spector, he claimed that the first Suikoden was his primary influence when developing Deus Ex because of the way it dealt with choice and consequence.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 29, 2014

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

How the hell did you guys manage to talk about Crackdown for two hours without talking about climbing the Agency tower? I was so sure you were going to bring it up when you started talking about getting high towards the end of the episode, but nope.

Climbing that tower (and then jumping off it) was such a huge thing when the game came out, and still one of the best uses of achievements to this day (in fact Crackdown has a whole bunch of great achievements, I'm surprised they didn't come up either).

At least "The Enigmatic Wang" and "Skills for Kills" got their due, and this episode was a pretty great to relive some fantastic 7-year-old gaming memories.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Pasco posted:

How the hell did you guys manage to talk about Crackdown for two hours without talking about climbing the Agency tower? I was so sure you were going to bring it up when you started talking about getting high towards the end of the episode, but nope.

Climbing that tower (and then jumping off it) was such a huge thing when the game came out, and still one of the best uses of achievements to this day (in fact Crackdown has a whole bunch of great achievements, I'm surprised they didn't come up either).

At least "The Enigmatic Wang" and "Skills for Kills" got their due, and this episode was a pretty great to relive some fantastic 7-year-old gaming memories.

Well, it didn't occur to me to try because I'm a huge dope.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Woffle posted:

Well, it didn't occur to me to try because I'm a huge dope.
Oh man.

This is the kinda thing that makes you realise just how important the Zeitgeist is, how riding the wave of the people is important even in 'solitary' pursuits.

When Crackdown came out you couldn't move for videos and news stories about climbing that drat tower, and not always in the intended way.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I didn't come to Crackdown, or even the 360, until pretty late in it's life cycle. Me, I'm a retro man for the most part.

That video is pretty incredible, however.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I'm pretty sure that the top of that tower is the only place with ambient music in the game, which always seemed strange and cool to me.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Climbing that tower was my immediate goal upon seeing it for the first time. It was like climbing the tower in Shadow of the Colossus all over again. I simply cannot imagine a Crackdown experience without it.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Episode 8 of Kerbalcast is up! :jeb:

http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com

In the episode:
Majiir Interview part 1

Beginner's Minute (New Segment)

Talk about Prometheus

Going to the Sun is cool

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This week's Thumbs: :allears:

Ethnic Breckon's Wii U story is gold.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Dual analogue FPS control chat on the latest Idle Thumbs give me an excuse to post this funny review of Alien Resurrection for the original Playstation: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/alien-resurrection-review/1900-2637344/

Gamespot posted:

The game's control setup is its most terrifying element. The left analog stick moves you forward, back, and strafes right and left, while the right analog stick turns you and can be used to look up and down. Too often, you'll turn to face a foe and find that your weapon is aimed at the floor or ceiling while the alien gleefully hacks away at your midsection. Add to the mix a few other head scratchers - such as how the triangle button controls item and health use - and you'll be wondering how Sony let this get by without requesting a few different control configuration options.

Mega Man Legends 2 also had dual analogue control for the original Playstation. Goldeneye had dual analogue control options if you felt like holding two separate controllers in your hands. Halo definitely made the control scheme work better than these games, but it's interesting how it evolved to that point.

On the topic of Shovel Knight, Gamasutra have an article up where Yacht Club Games talk about how they both stuck to and broke the rules of NES hardware: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php. The music was actually programmed using Famitracker which is a music creation tool that emulates the NES sound chip. Shovel Knight uses the expanded sound channels from the custom Konami chip in the Japanese version of Castlevania 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32OLFp9-t7I

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Phone posted:

This week's Thumbs: :allears:

Ethnic Breckon's Wii U story is gold.

Truth. Danielle's casual addition at the end of his epic tale was loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

weird bleep posted:

Mega Man Legends 2 also had dual analogue control for the original Playstation. Goldeneye had dual analogue control options if you felt like holding two separate controllers in your hands. Halo definitely made the control scheme work better than these games, but it's interesting how it evolved to that point.

Timesplitters predates Halo by, like, a year and was an FPS controlled with standard modern twin stick controls. Just sayin.

• Locked thread