Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

Irobot82 posted:

What goon was out in Paulding County today at La Bomba in Seven Hills? I spotted a black Ford Super Duty truck that had a "Goon Squad" sticker in the back.

That was definitely Mindphlux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

That was definitely Mindphlux.

lol

guilty
as
charged

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Bullshit, mindphlux melts if he leaves the perimeter.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

New restaurant just opened tonight in Chamblee. The menu looks pretty promising, so I'll be checking it out soon. They have two giant Big Green Eggs smokin' outside as I drove past tonight, enjoying the whiff of yummy food:

https://www.facebook.com/southboundatlanta

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

New restaurant just opened tonight in Chamblee. The menu looks pretty promising, so I'll be checking it out soon. They have two giant Big Green Eggs smokin' outside as I drove past tonight, enjoying the whiff of yummy food:

I had noticed that place as well. I'll probably give it a go sometime when I want to take a slightly longer lunch.

This week I was discussing BBQ with a co-worker (discussing how Fat Matt's sucks among other things) and I've been in the mood for BBQ since then. I woke up today and wanted to get some BBQ, but didn't feel like going far or dealing with crowds, so I decided to go to Bone Lick BBQ. It had been a long while since I had been there, and I was hoping they'd gotten better, but that was not the case.

I ordered the single spare rib appetizer, and there was no bark to it at all. The contrast between the bark and inner meat is something I really enjoy, so that was disappointing. I also felt like the rib could have been a little more tender. If I were making ribs in the backyard, I'd consider this product acceptable but strive for better, so I expect more from a proper BBQ place. I had the brisket sandwich on Texas Toast. It was also only okay. The meat lacked smoke flavor, and I felt that there wasn't much meat for a $10 sandwich. I also got a side of cornbread, which was dry as hell.

While the food was only okay and not worthy of the price, the service was pretty bad. Getting the attention of anyone so I could have napkins and silverware when my food came out or so I could get my check and for someone to run my card was hard. There was a table in the corner where I saw one patron get up twice to walk to the bar to get some attention.

Needless to say, this was not a positive experience. I probably won't be back there for a long time, until this experience fades into the back of my mind.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Landrobot posted:

Went last night! It was their first Saturday evening open, so it was a bit crazy, but well organized for the rush of people. The interior space is pretty drat cool actually, with 1900 style everything, considering it's in Chamblee. They have a true kitchen table that seats 2-3 people, which is pretty neat. They also have upstairs and outdoor seating. We sat at the bar, which was awesome too. I expect a place of this caliber to be in Decatur, but it's a lot more convenient. They also have a new parking lot in back.

Food wise, it's really good! It could use some fine tuning, but overall very impressed. It was better than King + Duke, let's put it that way. They have a menu posted on their FB page.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Went to Gu's Bistro last night with my brother and my dad. The food was great as always, but I had no idea they were opening a dumpling place at the Krog Street Market in August.

I really want to check out Chef Liu's down the road from Gu's since I have never had soup dumplings before.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I know I'm a horrible troll and everything, but I just want to troll the gently caress out of this interview..

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2014/06/24/ladybird-grove-and-mess-hall-robert-lupo-interview.php#more

a. 'ladybird' just sounds like a play on 'ria's bluebird' - which I don't even like, but gently caress man be more original. it's even nearby, which doubles the insult.
b. the guy sounds like a blathering idiot with no direction in the interview

quote:

What should diners expect from the bar program?
I think we'll have the talent and the knowledge to do a lot of fun cocktails, classics.

But the focus won't be on necessarily pushing that a whole lot into a dozen super-creative signature cocktails. It'll be more of a focus on, I would say, American beer with specifically a focus on Southeastern, Georgia beers.

Probably very little imports, very little stuff from outside of North America.

So it'll be focusing on the United States. I think it'll be a place to get a great cocktail, but I don't think that will be — who knows?

I just don't say that I think we're putting a lot of our focus on that right now in the planning stages.

Do y'all have anyone in mind to run the bar?
We'll have a bar manager. There's still some things to figure out.

:negative:

:negative: :negative: :negative: :negative: :negative: :negative: :negative: :negative: :negative: :negative:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
It really is too bad, it's in a neat location and really stands to become a staple on the BeltLine East Trail.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I drive by Burnt Fork BBQ all the time, but never tried until Saturday. I'm curious what venutolo thinks of the ribs. High contrast bark / meat, but the bark may be just thick seasoning that's charred in. In any case, I left a nice pile of bones. I'll be back. Their brisket was 90% fat, there was no actual meat to eat, but everything else was par or better. Pulled pork a win.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

b. the guy sounds like a blathering idiot with no direction in the interview

I read this interview as, "we'll do whatever our Sysco sales rep recommends".

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

I drive by Burnt Fork BBQ all the time, but never tried until Saturday. I'm curious what venutolo thinks of the ribs. High contrast bark / meat, but the bark may be just thick seasoning that's charred in. In any case, I left a nice pile of bones. I'll be back. Their brisket was 90% fat, there was no actual meat to eat, but everything else was par or better. Pulled pork a win.

I saw your Foursquare check-in and was going to ask you about that. I actually thought they were closed. I drive by the location just about every other Monday, and they were never open, but I see that they're closed Mondays.

I ate there once a few years ago, a couple months after they opened. I didn't think much of it then, but I'll give it another go.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 27, 2014

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

I saw your Foursquare check-in and was going to ask you about that. I actually thought they were closed. I drive by the location just about every other Monday, and they were never open, but I see that they're closed Mondays.

I ate there once a few years ago, a couple months after they opened. I didn't think much of it then, but I'll give it another go.

Whoa whoa whoa. We're stalking each other on Foursquare now? I want to see where's the hip places to eat in the city.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

Went there for lunch today and had a mixed experience. There doesn't appear to be any signage out front, so I actually drove by it twice trying to find it and only recognized it because it had a couple Big Green Eggs. I absolutely loved the interior, and it might be my second favorite restaurant interior after The Optimist. Lunch menu looked small, but sufficient (i.e. not lacking in options, but not so large that I question the kitchen can actually make all the items well).

I ordered the fried oyster sandwich with fried okra. Apparently, the kitchen lost my ticket, and my food didn't arrive until 30+ minutes after I ordered. A manager apologized and comped my food, which was nice and seems like the appropriate way to handle it.

Sandwich itself was okay. Relative to the contents of the sandwich, the bread seemed a bit thick. Also, the pickled vegetables overpowered the taste of the oysters and chili mayo. I took off about half of the veggies and the sandwich was a bit better balanced. The okra was good. It came with two sauces, one which I liked, but didn't love, and the other I didn't care for.

Despite the negatives I mentioned, I actually liked it enough to go back. While the fried oyster sandwich could have used some work in my opinion, the rest of the menu looks good enough that I think I should be able to find some stuff I really like (like the shrimp and grits looks like something I'd really like).

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Preface: not in Atlanta

While I was driving back from NC this past weekend, I decided to go into a big flea market area that I've been passing by for years. It's right outside of Clayton and I've never gotten around to stopping in, but it looks like they've added a new BBQ place on the back. I had the pulled pork, which was smokey, moist, and had a great bark. Give it a try if you find yourself around there, it's called Wicked Pig: https://www.facebook.com/thewickedpig

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

venutolo posted:

I saw your Foursquare check-in and was going to ask you about that.
I took friends back to Burnt Fork on Saturday, got a half-rack. All in party got ribs, 1/4, 1/2, or full slab. All were excellent. It's like each rib is a dense roast wrapped around bone with seasoned exterior.
If youse guys like ribs, check 'em out.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
drat them not being open on Mondays. I will be in Decatur this evening and will drive right by them.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
BURGER JOY is a great name for a restaurant, jus sayin.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I finally tried Miller Union with m'lady last night. The cocktail menu seemed very simple and fresh, relying on few ingredients (i.e. "bourbon, lemon, peach" for the Raphael Moses Sour). I could drink their cocktails all day. It's like your dad got behind the counter at Arden's Garden. I had the black grouper (kind of crispy fried) atop cucumber-sorrel water and was pleased. Favorite starter was farm egg baked in celery cream w/ toast, just because it reminded me of fried egg sandwiches as a childe.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Review of Smokebelly, the new BBQ place in Buckhead: http://friedchickenlips.blogspot.com/2014/07/smoke-belly.html

I could do without the seemingly misogynistic bashing of the women of Buckhead, but otherwise I enjoyed reading that.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I went to Delia's Chicken Sausage on Marietta St today. I missed the free food opening yesterday, but I happened to be working nearby, and my co-worker and I randomly walked up.

It was petty busy, but the line was fast, and the food came out really quickly. We decided not to go to the top sitting area, as it was hot outside and sitting inside a metal trailer with a giant side cut out did not sound like fun.

I had the Hot Mess, chicken sausage in a hoagie covered in black bean chili, shredded cheese, jalapenos, and "comeback sauce". I found out the comeback sauce was just BBQ sauce. I devoured the whole thing, but thinking on it, it seemed a bit busy, and I could tell there was some good sausage underneath all that, but too many toppings masked the flavor. Not really their fault, as all those ingredients are stated on the menu.

I also ordered a small side of cole slaw, which was yellowish, and absolutely slathered in mayonnaise. A little much for me so I only hate half.

To drink I got the Frozen Sweet Tea. I realized after my first sip, this was a bad idea, because it was literally Southern Sweet TV just frozen and put in a cup. Usually you fill a glass with ice cubes and pour the sweet tea over it to melt it down. but when it's an entire frozen glass of sweet tee...again, that's my fault for not thinking straight when I ordered that.

Next time, I'm going to get the Naked Dog and maybe one of those Red Velvet Cupcake Milkshakes. Breakfast also looks good, and I may stop by one morning for a chicken sausage biscuit and coffee.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'm happy there's another good option on Marietta. My favorite thing at Delia's is the Jesus tacos. I don't know if they're still called that, but they're basically jalapeños & chicken sausage w/ shredded queso on corn tortillas. With tomatillo salsa.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'm also happy that Delia's on Marietta has opened. I could use another decent option for a quick, local meal on the weekend. The red velvet cupcake milkshakes are great.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Speaking of Marietta St., Bartaco just opened. Nothing spectacular, downsized corn tortilla tacos with the usual protein, cilantro and onion. Sides are americanized caribbean. Everything was fresh; nothing stood out other than a few weak items: could scarcely taste the oyster in the fried oyster taco, barely a hint of curry in the curried shrimp (but at least they can cook a shrimp without turning it to rubber, unlike Optimist). Interior was bright catalogue-nautical and open without being loud. Prices were great for tapas, except for the cocktails which were all around $10 despite being weak and overly sweet. Not worth coming over to westside, but if you're already here it's nice to have another option.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I completely forgot that was coming. Yay for more quick, local meal options for me that aren't Yeah Burger!

Apropos of nothing, my mom is coming to visit later this month and I'm starting planning the restaurants I will take her to for the six lunches and five dinners we'll have and I'm super excited. I wish I had about another three or four days of her here to fit everything in.

deep13
Jan 2, 2013

mindphlux posted:

BURGER JOY is a great name for a restaurant, jus sayin.

There's also a BURGER WIN off Moreland, close to 20.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I went to Gunshow today for the preview of Kevin Gillespie's upcoming whole hog BBQ place, Terminus City BBQ. The options were chopped whole hog with Brunswick stew, chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes (If I recall correctly), or some oyster mushroom main. All the mains came with cole slaw, mac & cheese gratin, creamed corn, and fried okra. I was also served some hot and freshly baked corn bread.

I generally think chopped pork is an abomination, but barring that, the pork was competent. I wouldn't say it was great, but it wasn't awful. It was a little drier than I'd like, but I did like the bits of cracklin in there. The Brunswick stew was also good, but not great. The other sides were really good. The hot, fresh corn bread was really, really good. The creamed corn and fried okra both were excellent to me.

The sauce served isn't sweet (or at least relative to how my tastes have been conditioned by Atlanta BBQ) and had some spicy to it. I'd guess it was a tomato and pepper sauce with a bit of vinegar.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
So a Flip Burger is opening in Nashville soon and I love burgs so have been looking forward to trying it out. Even if it's not the best burger ever, I figured it would at least be good and a place to add to my list of spots to go when I'm having the burg craving. But then I just saw them post this and :what:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I haven't been to Flip in a while, but as I recall, they had some potentially interesting burger concepts, but the execution was kind of meh. They were usually overcooked and just not all that great; definitely not worth the money. Their shakes were pretty good, though, but also a bit overpriced. And yeah, I don't know what's up with that abomination, but it looks terrifying.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Looking at their menu, Flip has to be the most pretentious burger joints I've ever seen.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Croatoan posted:

Looking at their menu, Flip has to be the most pretentious burger joints I've ever seen.

You are correct. Also, as someone that used to live in Central TX, the BBQ in Atlanta is poo poo. Fox Bros, Community Q, take a back seat to a chain like Rudy's because that's where Atlanta BBQ is right now.

[e]: dried up and over-sauced

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 8, 2014

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Anyone have a Saturday brunch recommendation near Piedmont Park? We were going to go to The Nook, but reviews seem to say it has gone downhill. The Lawrence looks ok, but the menu seems limited. The people I am eating with don't drink, so momosas and bloody mary's don't matter, sadly. Article 14 looks good. We really don't want to pay more than like $12 per plate. (Am I the only poor person in this thread)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

York_M_Chan posted:

Anyone have a Saturday brunch recommendation near Piedmont Park? We were going to go to The Nook, but reviews seem to say it has gone downhill. The Lawrence looks ok, but the menu seems limited. The people I am eating with don't drink, so momosas and bloody mary's don't matter, sadly. Article 14 looks good. We really don't want to pay more than like $12 per plate. (Am I the only poor person in this thread)

poor people shouldn't spend their money on eating places. :mad:

near piedmont park is hard. the Lawrence sucks, a goon worked there for a while and advised us all to never step foot in once he left. (for good reason).

honestly if I was looking for brunch, I'd go to mary macs, or get in the car and go to colonnade. I do prefer a savory brunch though. If you're looking for sweet, joe's on juniper gets good reviews and is relatively cheap. I've only eaten there once, and I didn't much care for it - but I know a lot of people who swear by it.

better yet given your financial constraints - get in the car and go get some dim sum. 1/2th the price of anything else I've mentioned, much more fun and interesting, and you won't be stuck in midtown. :)

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Went to Lusca on Friday night with my girlfriend, and it was pretty solid. We hdad reservations, but ended up sitting at the bar instead. The seats at the tables reminded us of elementary school chairs and looked very uncomfortable. The food was great for the most part; the squid with potatoes and calabrian chilis and the grilled eggplant with mint, tomatoes, and rock shrimp were both excellent. We also had sanddab with puy lentils, and found them to be a bit of a mismatch, as the lentils overwhelmed the flavor of the fish and it didn't work that well. We definitely enjoyed ourselves, but it was overpriced for what it was, especially the shisito peppers and cucumbers with fish sauce, both $8 as a side. Would definitely recommend it for the area, but it has the prices to match.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Went to Jarrett Stieber's pop up thing at Gato last night and it was great. Portions are small, but the prices are cheap. Highlight of the night was some brisket in an oyster mushroom broth that was incredible. Also had a blondie with whiskey milk for dessert that was great.

Ended up going to the speakeasy after dinner and it was cool. Had a couple nice drinks there. Definitely a cool little thing going on there.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

jooky posted:

Went to Jarrett Stieber's pop up thing at Gato last night and it was great. Portions are small, but the prices are cheap. Highlight of the night was some brisket in an oyster mushroom broth that was incredible. Also had a blondie with whiskey milk for dessert that was great.

Ended up going to the speakeasy after dinner and it was cool. Had a couple nice drinks there. Definitely a cool little thing going on there.

Good to hear. I was considering going last night because I was intrigued by the pork liver tacos, but decided against it because I wanted to eat earlier than 7 and had been there last Sunday. I really dig the things Jarrett is trying.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 15, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have eaten at octopus bar many times, but never at so ba. Finally made it in for some pho. Broth was surprisingly good, and that salt and pepper tofu was off the chain. I really love egg noodles in my pho, and none of those - but I can't fault them at all for that. Definitely my quirky tastes there.

Very solid, will be back regularly.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Croatoan posted:

As a NJ goon, it just looks like they're trying too hard.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Argali posted:

As a NJ goon, it just looks like they're trying too hard.

it's blais's "style". I personally like it, though it's a bit predictable at this point. he's well known for it, which is both good and bad. good in so much as I like interesting food, and some of his food is interesting - bad in so much as it's yeah, gimmicky. and pretty played out at this point. even for me, an oldschool blais fan.

and almost every restaurant he touches dies within a year or two. flip is pretty much the longest running one I think, and it's probably just because it's burgers, and goddamn if atlantians don't love their goddamn burgers. not that I'm bitter or anything. ;)

ohwell...

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Looking for a good birthday dinner recommendation. We currently have reservations for St. Cecelia but my girlfriend is worried it might be a little stuffy - any opinions about this place or others welcome. We will be in Buckhead but will travel for the right place.