Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

Pacific Rim is one of my favorite films but I have no desire for a sequel. I mean, who the heck can replace Chuck Hansen?

I'm the other way around: I thought the movie was total poo poo but with some neat concepts so I wouldn't mind seeing del Toro take another stab at it to fulfill its potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Good new fascism fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HndBiSyOrK4

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
A sequel and animated series. Hooray!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

:neckbeard: It's official.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

More kaijus!

More Jaegers!

(Note what he mentioned first)

Hope the animated series has a Godzooky clone :-D

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I absolutely love Pacific Rim so I welcome this news.

Also a Jaeger named Thunder Child doing battle with alien invaders sounds incredible. Probably one of my favorite scenes in any book I've read.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 27, 2014

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
So, Del Toro has a Space Jockey wallpaper. That makes sense.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Between this and Godzilla being a hit I think it's fair to say we're seeing a tokusatsu renaissance.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Animated Pacific Rim? :getin:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Maxwell Lord posted:

Between this and Godzilla being a hit I think it's fair to say we're seeing a tokusatsu renaissance.

Won't be complete until we get an Ultraman that won't get laughed off cable/network TV. Ultra Seven don't count.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I have had an absolutely poo poo day and this news was just what I needed to cheer me up :)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

My favorite parts of this thread were SMG's posts. I thought they were interesting and thought provoking.

While I'm not always on board with them I can definitely agree that they're quite a lot more interesting to read than comments about merchandise!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I guess this gives GDT the chance to up the ante. Combining robots, add a third pilot to every Jaeger, and just say gently caress it and let him make his own version of Aquarion.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I totally can't wait for this. Pacific Rim's big problem was that it was trying too hard to justify itself and its action. It felt the whole time like it wasn't sure I was sold on giant robots. Now that's out of the way, I am sure Del Toro can deliver.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Binary Badger posted:

More kaijus!

More Jaegers!

(Note what he mentioned first)

I hope they get real wacky with the kaiju designs this time.

Not that all the kaiju look the same. I mean, I have a bunch of kaiju friends.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They should just make Charlie Day and Burn Gormans characters the robot pilots and get rid of whats his face and anime girlfriend

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hbomberguy posted:

I totally can't wait for this. Pacific Rim's big problem was that it was trying too hard to justify itself and its action. It felt the whole time like it wasn't sure I was sold on giant robots. Now that's out of the way, I am sure Del Toro can deliver.

It's going to be pretty funny when they pull the inevitable Winter Soldier deal and confirm what I've been writing, but I'm not on board without a drastic change in aesthetic.

Godzilla 2014 has the kaiju film on lock, from the cinematography to the editing - Heisei style applied to Showa thematics. Pacific Rim, on the other hand, looks worse than the average-quality 1999 Gamera sequel False God Awakening, where everything is murky-dark with overdone colored lighting. I mean, look at this poo poo:

This doesn't look bright and anime. It looks scuzzy and awful - like Punisher: War Zone or Hobo With A Shotgun.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's going to be pretty funny when they pull the inevitable Winter Soldier deal and confirm what I've been writing, but I'm not on board without a drastic change in aesthetic.

Godzilla 2014 has the kaiju film on lock, from the cinematography to the editing - Heisei style applied to Showa thematics. Pacific Rim, on the other hand, looks worse than the average-quality 1999 Gamera sequel False God Awakening, where everything is murky-dark with overdone colored lighting. I mean, look at this poo poo:

This doesn't look bright and anime. It looks scuzzy and awful - like Punisher: War Zone or Hobo With A Shotgun.

I mean I guess I could see that if you're extrapolating the whole movie's feel from just that one set...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neowyrm posted:

I mean I guess I could see that if you're extrapolating the whole movie's feel from just that one set...

It's very consistent. the same combination of dark blue and lemon-yellow lighting is used on the protagonists' faces in the Gispsy Danger cockpit, giving them a lovely greenish complexion.

Note that, just like in the previous image, the characters' bodies - their silhouettes - are borderline illegible against the same-coloured background. The hydraulic robot chair, however, is perfectly visible in light blue. In this image, the two protagonists are looking at their hands. Can you see the hands clearly?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Punisher: War Zone was a pretty good movie so I'm okay with that!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

dreffen posted:

Punisher: War Zone was a pretty good movie so I'm okay with that!
Punisher is a much better film because the compositions are generally minimalistic.

This shot has a similar colour scheme to the ones above, but you can see how the character's silhouette is very clear. The yellow highlights further separate him from the background, associating him not with the building but with the trees and the staircase leading downwards. This imagery is clear and forthright.

In terms of cinematography, the lines of the bannisters and the curve of the arch point straight to the cross. The Punisher is standing in the exact opposite location of the purple lighting, unbalancing the symmetrical composition and pulling you eyes down from the cross. The whole movie is very clear like this, even in his deliberately cluttered and shadowy workshop.

In a more general way, it looks garish and gross in a way that suits a movie about vigilantism and depravity. Pacific Rim is ostensibly a love-letter to kaiju films and animes.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 27, 2014

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Panfilo posted:

Fanfiction

Alright if someone else started with this I'm throwing a basic idea I had out there.
With the rift sealed earth gets a few years rest with Raleigh Mako and Herc rebuilding the Jeager corps back to full strength while researching new tech based on the Kaijus telepathy, the main breakthrough they get from this tech is the ability to pilot Jeagers remotely and as they know how to close rifts every Jaeger is built with the intention of subduing Kaiju, riding them through the rift and detonating to seal it.

Mako and Raleigh are training a new generation of Jaeger pilots who, thanks to the telepathic link system are basically fearless. After 5-10 years of peace the Kaiju come back in force and are brutally thrown back by the new telepathic Jaeger squadron at every turn sealing rift after rift with little to no loss of civilian life and only a loss of resources by destroying jaegers everytime they seal a rift yet the pilots live to see another day.

Plot B with Gottleib and Geiszler starts up with them having recovered a number of embryos of kaiju during this time and without the permission or overview of the PPDC proceed to try to raise one using the telepathic signals they've been researching as a way of trying to communicate with the kaijus and bypass the precursors control.they meet with mild success but eventually get caught and reprimanded and the project is brought into the PPDC fold under strict control and supervision

All is well and good until the precursors, seeing how good the humans have gotten at fighting on their terms, take over the telepathic pilot squadron one by one while they show no outside signs of being taken over.

Gottleib and Geiszler are successful at controlling the kaiju but only those that they have had since birth attempting to control anything else just makes it go rabid and attack anything in site even other kaiju. The three or more kaiju they have being raised by the PPDC are completely under their control.

Level 5s starts popping out of rifts faster than the telepathic squads can deal with them so the first wave of non telepathically controlled jaegers are brought back out to bolster the fleet and when victory is all but assured for the PPDC the telepathic squadron turns on the other jaegers.

At this point poo poo is real bad and all thats left is around 6 jaegers with the telepathic sqaudron having taken down their facility and now controling their jaegers directly backed by a dozen or so low level kaiju and a level 5 or 6(gently caress it why not) bearing down on them when bam the three kaiju Gottleib and Geiszler raised rise out of the water equipped with jaeger armor and weapons to save the day take down the telepathic squadron and the remaining kaijus and head back through the rift to take the war to the precursors on their home turf last fight here would be between the regular Jaegers that survive the last battle the 3 jaeger kaiju hybrids vs a precursor jaeger.

Also needs a corporate sponsorship subplot which I think would be pretty funny to see some company sponsored jaeger gets its rear end handed to it.

O and your post credit stinger: Crew at a monitoring station get a signal thats just coming in weird pan to monitor its just signal noise cut to godzillas roar cut to black.

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 27, 2014

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

This doesn't look bright and anime.

I'm not sure what your stance on actual anime is as a medium (the entire industry being lovely and garbage is a perfectly defensible intellectual position) - I'd love to hear your take - but as a self-identified anime apologist I think this is part of the issue. I wrote a thing about it a while ago, but despite being largely inspired by a really popular and big anime genre its unwillingness to delve into it in terms of either execution or plot really is a let-down. He talks about Mazinger and Go Nagai plenty on the commentary, but the film is missing a Kabuto Kouji.

When it turns out the Kaiju can be our friends, I absolutely cannot wait to see the U-turn in the thread as they suddenly turn from toyetic abject outsiders to the coolest best friends ever.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

When it turns out the Kaiju can be our friends, I absolutely cannot wait to see the U-turn in the thread as they suddenly turn from toyetic abject outsiders to the coolest best friends ever.

I'm not sure if you're saying this jokingly or not, but now I want a thing in the next movie where Newton and Gottlieb use their neural bridge technology to control a Kaiju. Or they pull a Godzooki with a baby Kaiju. :3:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

I'm not sure if you're saying this jokingly or not, but now I want a thing in the next movie where Newton and Gottlieb use their neural bridge technology to control a Kaiju. Or they pull a Godzooki with a baby Kaiju. :3:

I'm making fun of how the thread could conceivably 'catch up' with SMG's opinions about the kaiju thus far while still not really trying, but no I genuinely would enjoy that to be a direction for the sequel.

The kaiju are living creatures that are essentially slaves to the will of their master-creators. If only there were any Godzilla movies that featured this plot li- oh my god so many of them did that

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I fully support a plot idea of the technology which could potentially have been used to produce an empathic bond between species instead being used to mechanistically control them, and I hope it's presented as uncritically as possible

Srice posted:

While I'm not always on board with them I can definitely agree that they're quite a lot more interesting to read than comments about merchandise!

But how do you like the fanfiction?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

It's very consistent. the same combination of dark blue and lemon-yellow lighting is used on the protagonists' faces in the Gispsy Danger cockpit, giving them a lovely greenish complexion.

Note that, just like in the previous image, the characters' bodies - their silhouettes - are borderline illegible against the same-coloured background. The hydraulic robot chair, however, is perfectly visible in light blue. In this image, the two protagonists are looking at their hands. Can you see the hands clearly?

Yup. We've got eyes.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

Yup. We've got eyes.

"No you are wrong."

Jesus dude, way to just fart out contrarian opinions. You sure do build a convincing argument :jerkbag:

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I'm not clear: are you saying that, in a scene where the protagonist's bodies have effectively merged with eachother and their enclosing robot body, it is inappropriate to have a shot where their silhouettes have merged with their surroundings?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

"No you are wrong."

Jesus dude, way to just fart out contrarian opinions. You sure do build a convincing argument :jerkbag:

I'm not trying to convince you. Presumably you've got eyes, as well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The cartoon could be the prequel series that people wanted. I hope we get more toys!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

The cartoon could be the prequel series that people wanted. I hope we get more toys!

See you in hell.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm okay with the Animatrixkaijus as long as Rekaijued and Kaijulutions don't end up being poo poo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I appreciate that Pacific Rim didn't go for an "alliance with the Other" motif. This strikes me as not a failure to understand the kaiju cinema that inspired it, but an interesting conscious inversion of traditional kaiju themes.

The moral center of the film is the will to survive - the question is not who deserves to live, but who wants to live. The enormity of the choice of life over death is something Nietzsche wrote about and it's present here. (Nietzsche was no fascist - actual fascists said so - but he looks similar to modern eyes, if you squint, due to his criticism of ethical positions central to revolutionary thought.) Specifically, he described the horrifying enormity of the affirmation of life: you are only yourself, the product of all the influences that created you, so wanting to live means wanting all the past events that led to your existence, and all the future events that will happen as a result, to be repeated endlessly.

The PPDC goes to literally monstrous lengths in pursuit of that decision. Jaegers are the same as kaiju, which implies that the humans are the same as the masters, the villains of the film; some characters suggest that humans brought the invasion on themselves with their sinful ways. The existence of the monsters in this film - both the organic and the mechanical ones - is frankly appalling, colossal brutes capable of defying nature itself, built to go to other dimensions and kill as much as possible of whatever lives there there before dying, so that's a sin right there, even without the ecological shorthand, religious allusions, conniving elites, and so forth. The characters who explicitly prefer living to dying are morally ambiguous deuteragonists: Stacker, Chuck, Hannibal, and I guess the foreman on the wall, and of course the masters themselves invade because they'd starve if they remained on a planet they had depleted.

But, the film says, they are not wrong to want to live. And they achieve it by coming together and choosing it. The will to power is how they achieve their victory - in contradistinction to most kaiju films, where the will to power is an arrogant and presumptuous delusion, and humanity's survival is safeguarded by fearful faith in an awesome higher power that's as willing to punish them as to save them. Pacific Rim's stance on the issue is not a misunderstanding or error, but a disagreement.

All this makes me wonder where the sequel will go. But I don't think I will speculate just yet. Certainly none of that precludes an alliance between the humans and the aliens; they both want the same thing and use the same means to get it, and they've got mind-melding technology. Reconciliation in the face of an obstacle to a possible win-win situation would be a great way to up the stakes.

I will, however, hope that it has some daylight scenes, because I like it better when you can see what's happening even if there are thematic reasons to obscure the action.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 27, 2014

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Punisher is a much better film because the compositions are generally minimalistic.

This shot has a similar colour scheme to the ones above, but you can see how the character's silhouette is very clear. The yellow highlights further separate him from the background, associating him not with the building but with the trees and the staircase leading downwards. This imagery is clear and forthright.

In terms of cinematography, the lines of the bannisters and the curve of the arch point straight to the cross. The Punisher is standing in the exact opposite location of the purple lighting, unbalancing the symmetrical composition and pulling you eyes down from the cross. The whole movie is very clear like this, even in his deliberately cluttered and shadowy workshop.

In a more general way, it looks garish and gross in a way that suits a movie about vigilantism and depravity. Pacific Rim is ostensibly a love-letter to kaiju films and animes.

This is why I like reading SMG posts.

Also I gotta admit I'm a little bummed about the animated series bit because I don't see that lasting long.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

I appreciate that Pacific Rim didn't go for an "alliance with the Other" motif. This strikes me as not a failure to understand the kaiju cinema that inspired it, but an interesting conscious inversion of traditional kaiju themes.

The moral center of the film is the will to survive - the question is not who deserves to live, but who wants to live. The enormity of the choice of life over death is something Nietzsche wrote about and it's present here. (Nietzsche was no fascist - actual fascists said so - but he looks similar to modern eyes, if you squint, due to his criticism of ethical positions central to revolutionary thought.) Specifically, he described the horrifying enormity of the affirmation of life: you are only yourself, the product of all the influences that created you, so wanting to live means wanting all the past events that led to your existence, and all the future events that will happen as a result, to be repeated endlessly.

The PPDC goes to literally monstrous lengths in pursuit of that decision. Jaegers are the same as kaiju, which implies that the humans are the same as the masters, the villains of the film; some characters suggest that humans brought the invasion on themselves with their sinful ways. The existence of the monsters in this film - both the organic and the mechanical ones - is frankly appalling, colossal brutes capable of defying nature itself, built to go to other dimensions and kill as much as possible of whatever lives there there before dying, so that's a sin right there, even without the ecological shorthand, religious allusions, conniving elites, and so forth. The characters who explicitly prefer living to dying are morally ambiguous deuteragonists: Stacker, Chuck, Hannibal, and I guess the foreman on the wall, and of course the masters themselves invade because they'd starve if they remained on a planet they had depleted.

But, the film says, they are not wrong to want to live. And they achieve it by coming together and choosing it. The will to power is how they achieve their victory - in contradistinction to most kaiju films, where the will to power is an arrogant and presumptuous delusion, and humanity's survival is safeguarded by fearful faith in an awesome higher power that's as willing to punish them as to save them. Pacific Rim's stance on the issue is not a misunderstanding or error, but a disagreement.

All this makes me wonder where the sequel will go. But I don't think I will speculate just yet. Certainly none of that precludes an alliance between the humans and the aliens; they both want the same thing and use the same means to get it, and they've got mind-melding technology. Reconciliation in the face of an obstacle to a possible win-win situation would be a great way to up the stakes.

I will, however, hope that it has some daylight scenes, because I like it better when you can see what's happening even if there are thematic reasons to obscure the action.

This is a pro loving post right here. I'm gonna print this out and put it in my DVD case.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHISHKABOB posted:

"No you are wrong."

What would the convincing argument for "yes I can see the hands on these human beings" be for you? Now that first image I couldn't tell what I was looking at immediately because it was just a clusterfuck of color until I figured out it was the HUD on one of the robots.

quote:

Be honest, you're going to write an argument about it whether it actually does or not and we're going to live the last 268 pages all over again.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 27, 2014

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
If the sequel becomes Pacific Rim vs. Godzilla, can one of the Jaegers be Jet Jaguar?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

What would the convincing argument for "yes I can see the hands on these human beings" be for you?

Paolomania posted:

I'm not clear: are you saying that, in a scene where the protagonist's bodies have effectively merged with eachother and their enclosing robot body, it is inappropriate to have a shot where their silhouettes have merged with their surroundings?

Whether or not you can see the hands is totally beside the point, yes of course we can see the hands the point is that it's really loving hard and it's a mess. Paolomania brings up a good point, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Be honest, you're going to write an argument about it whether it actually does or not and we're going to live the last 268 pages all over again.

When has text ever stopped him before? If there was fascist symbolism in the sky being yellow then the sky would be yellow, even if every single frame of it was blue. It didn't stop him from blatantly making poo poo up multiple times in the Man of Steel thread, why would it anywhere else.

• Locked thread