Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Serperoth posted:

I like those a lot more, with the exception of the green one. Untapping a land for basically one mana can be pretty huge, and decks like Elves couldn't really say no to untapping their Gaea's Cradle, if they can spare the slot. Not sure how you can make the effect weaker while still staying in Green's part of the pie and within the circle.

Hmm. maybe if I make it "Untap target Basic Land" instead? Or "Untap target Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, or Forest" to open up more options without going too far overboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Cernunnos posted:

Hmm. maybe if I make it "Untap target Basic Land" instead? Or "Untap target Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, or Forest" to open up more options without going too far overboard?

Alternatively, it could just be "T: Add GG to your mana pool." Or the artifact itself could have the Gaea's Cradle clause of "T: Add G to your mana for each creature you control."

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Alternatively, it could just be "T: Add GG to your mana pool." Or the artifact itself could have the Gaea's Cradle clause of "T: Add G to your mana for each creature you control."

Second one is kind of ridiculous. Add GG to the mana pool would probably be simplest though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Right, but this one can't be used to cast Myr Superion, where (I think) the other one can thanks to Tribal.

Also the red one is way more busted now that it can hit creatures, and becomes a format-defining card like Cursed Scroll instead of just "an okay card" like Kyren Sniper.

If this week's contest has taught me anything, it's that none of you should ever be developers because we'd have combo winter in about ten seconds.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Now that is neat.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
OK. Last time posting final changes. Nerfed the Green one to Basic Land subtypes because flexibilty. :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kaboom! combo says 'get in my deck, unnnnf' :wcc:

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Alright, got four submissions. I started simple. This card is fundamentally just a twist on Everflowing Chalice; for a small additional startup cost you get additional flexibility.

This card is designed as an extension of cards like Mind Stone and Dreamstone Hedron. The idea is for the card to be be good in a multitude of scenarios; when screwed, when flooded, and when developing normally. It might have too much text still but I cut it down as far as I could.

This card was originally, as you might have guessed, intended to be an Equipment mana rock, but I felt it made the card more confusing for no reason. I wasn't totally sure how to evaluate the 'all creatures are BoP' effect; Manaweft Sliver seems to be the closest comparison.

This one doesn't technically tap for mana so it's probably not eligible, but I thought it was funny.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Perhaps a more balanced sol ring.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Ramos posted:

Second one is kind of ridiculous. Add GG to the mana pool would probably be simplest though.
Not every card needs to be created with a filter of ":qq:But Legacy Elves:qq:" (which probably doesn't have room for it anyways). That you can't play it for free to get all the mana also contributes to its weakness; Xenagos is also a repeatable cradle effect and he isn't exactly making waves.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

homerlaw posted:

Why is it gold?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
A more balanced sol ring eh? :v:

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

homerlaw posted:

Dang, beat me to the X cost rock.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Seriously yeah. 5 would be about the right cost for this.

You're right.

Also, just for kicks.

This is essentially Manalith + Jace's Ingenuity, with the downside of having to sac the Manalith.

I don't know if this has been done before, but I feel like it's a nice little tribal ramp. Could be real fun with sacrifice effects.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 27, 2014

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It was just as balanced when it was called Ur-Golem's Eye.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yes, it's OP, I know. But I do kinda want it to see print, if only to have a Commander game go: Luna Ring, Sol Ring, something else that gives +1 mana, Forest, Explosive Vegetation, go.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Serperoth posted:

Yes, it's OP, I know. But I do kinda want it to see print, if only to have a Commander game go: Luna Ring, Sol Ring, something else that gives +1 mana, Forest, Explosive Vegetation, go.

These are just different enough to dodge the Reserve List. Personally I'd love to see these printed in a 'Supplemental' set that bypasses Standard and goes straight to Eternal. The price of the Power Nine would crater, shafting the 'collectors' who have been squirreling seventeen Lotuses away in their basement, hoping to parlay them into maybe touching a boob someday.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Curiously they've never actually done a 1-mana artifact that taps for 1 colorless mana.

They probably wouldn't today, as they want to keep ramp that good a green thing.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Thought I'd try my hand at making a monocolor-flavored cycle. I suspect they're either underpowered or overpowered though.

What a strange moss-covered rock

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tardigrade posted:

Thought I'd try my hand at making a monocolor-flavored cycle. I suspect they're either underpowered or overpowered though.

What a strange moss-covered rock

That's one strong cycle I think. Lifegain isn't a huge deal, but five life every turn you don't need the extra mana is pretty good, and the blue one is even stronger, one card a turn plus mana potential. I'd say make them uncommon and up the cost to four, and you should be alright.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Serperoth posted:

That's one strong cycle I think. Lifegain isn't a huge deal, but five life every turn you don't need the extra mana is pretty good, and the blue one is even stronger, one card a turn plus mana potential. I'd say make them uncommon and up the cost to four, and you should be alright.

There we go!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
5 life a turn is nuts. Ramping into that Durdle-Boulder just crushes the dreams of all aggro decks in whatever format that's in and makes all the other decks go to time.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I like how the red and green ones were already underpowered at 3, and now completely ineffectual at four while the white and blue ones were completely busted at three and still absolutely constructed-playable at 4.

Hint: gaining 25% of your starting life per turn for no cost is insane. Drawing an extra card each turn, one-sided, should cost, oh 6 or so. Compare that blue one to Jayemdae Tome, another uncommon, and realize that you have made something so much better as to not just strictly obsolete it, but to retroactively destroy people's copies. If we're gonna push these, let's loving push them.

Also, what is the relation between boulders and what these cards do? And what is the relation between these cards? You haven't really given them a flavor or interdependency other that "they are mana rocks that do the thing a color does most commonly, in a super-obvious way." Why not tie them together thematically, or give each one something that is secondary in their color to be a little more interesting.

So like,
Black Rock
T: Target creature has Exalted and Swampwalk until eot, put a cc

Green Rock
T: Target creature gets +1/+1 and Forestwalk and haste, put a cc.

White Rock
T: Target creature has lifelink and Plainswalk until eot, put a cc

Red Rock
T: Target creature has "R: +1/+0 until eot" and Mountainwalk until eot, put a cc.

Blue Rock
T: Target creature has ~ophidian ability~ and Islandwalk until eot, put a cc

There. Now you have four mana rocks with a theme drawing them together that do something in the same way (make creatures better) and a subtheme (adds landwalk) that aren't lazy and either hilariously broken or completely ineffectual. I also selected abilities that play nice with "is unblockable" to make them even more interdependent and have some depth. If I wanted to be really clever, I'd give them their enemy landwalk instead of friendly landwalking.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 27, 2014

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Equipment that taps is rare. In return for only producing colorless mana, the creature doesn't tap with the Equipment.

Edit: ˅ Thanks!

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 27, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Thor-Stryker posted:

Equipment that taps is rare. In return for only producing colorless mana, the creature doesn't tap with the Equipment.

That's cool I like it. It should probalby say "Only activate this ability if Mana Sieve is attached." Since it's a restriction, and being equipment the fact it's a creature it will be attached to is implicit. Maybe also make it give +1/+1 so this it feels more equipmentlike too.

Here's my multiplayer wrecking bomb:

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Inspired by a pun.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zephirum posted:

Inspired by a pun.

That's not too dissimilar to the Dota item Soul Ring, which lets you pay life to get temporary mana. Also I like it, it's pretty nice, I feel that the 1 cost helps it not be degenerate.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Here's some ideas I've had lying around.

What's a Create A Card thread without a lotus callback, this one to Gilded Lotus. Of course this is probably degenerate in the right deck, even if I tried to reign it in a bit.

A cycle of two-color Scuttlemutts that can turn into mana rocks when the going gets tough. W/U probably works the best flavorwise, but I feel like it's an interesting enough effect to reach all five.

This probably isn't that playable, or easy to grok, but I was aiming for a concept of a mana rock that ticks up exponentially. It's probably best saved for two turns and tapped for 3 every other turn after that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gynovore posted:

These are just different enough to dodge the Reserve List. Personally I'd love to see these printed in a 'Supplemental' set that bypasses Standard and goes straight to Eternal. The price of the Power Nine would crater, shafting the 'collectors' who have been squirreling seventeen Lotuses away in their basement, hoping to parlay them into maybe touching a boob someday.
I really don't think demand for cards to play in tournaments is what's keeping the power 9 prices up at this point, considering that basically no one actually plays Vintage. I doubt a functional reprint of Black Lotus would come anywhere near to "cratering" prices.

Kasonic posted:

This probably isn't that playable, or easy to grok, but I was aiming for a concept of a mana rock that ticks up exponentially. It's probably best saved for two turns and tapped for 3 every other turn after that.

This I like

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Hello. Assuming I have not missed anything and I welcome to post, despite my greenness, I would like to submit my own card for the current contest on Mana Rocks.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Does mana have sources the way damage does? It should.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Aabcehmu posted:

Hello. Assuming I have not missed anything and I welcome to post, despite my greenness, I would like to submit my own card for the current contest on Mana Rocks.

Nah, you're good. I would recommend using the Magic Set Editor though if you're planning on making a lot of cards, it's a lot more flexible than everything else online that you'll find.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Uhhhh... that gives you infinite mana if you have two. In fact it causes an infinite loop that crashes draws the game.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Gynovore posted:

Uhhhh... that gives you infinite mana if you have two. In fact it causes an infinite loop that crashes draws the game.

Hmm yes you are right

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

Ramos posted:

Nah, you're good. I would recommend using the Magic Set Editor though if you're planning on making a lot of cards, it's a lot more flexible than everything else online that you'll find.

I'm glad to hear, and thank you for the advice, I'll be sure to use it from now on.

Also, quickly commenting on Fuzzy Mammal's Resonance Stone, while it does no longer draw the game, and generally prevents the previously mentioned case of arbitrary mana generation, it does still allow a corner case involving Mirror Gallery, though, I don't know if that's a serious issue to need rectifying.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
OK I tried to make a sort of (?) printable new mox:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Here's a fixed (made in MSE instead of some site) version of my previous entry, also new flavor text.

• Locked thread