Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

buttcrackmenace posted:

The first day I received my Mobius I managed to lose the lens cap. I've managed to keep the lens safe from damage so far, but I'd certainly like to find a replacement that doesn't come from China.

I got three when I got my camera. Drop me a line at -------------------------- and I'll see about sending you one of mine.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Horse Divorce posted:

I got three when I got my camera.

Thanks for the offer! Emailed.

BTW these cameras are pretty durable as-is. I lost a prop off my quad yesterday - the copter rolled several times before smacking the ground. Only scuffed the case. :)

http://youtu.be/zDPeZvnuIi8

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 2, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This loving thing is awesome, I was trying to make a panoramic rearview digital camera, and welp this does it better in every way for 14 dollars:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TCI826/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jktz3q647am3du7/2014-06-04%2019.39.20.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/310hmxhc6kcmydf/2014-06-04%2019.52.09.jpg

You could combine it with dashcams for an easy way to increase FOV as well.

ickna
May 19, 2004

I'm pretty impressed with the G1W, especially for what it costs. I bought this one, which shipped from the US and is not a fake. It arrived faster than my 32gb card, so for now I'm running an old 2gb card until it comes in. At full quality, it's about a gigabyte per ten minutes. I went with the wider FOV because I do mostly short commute city driving in the Fiat. I'm able to read license plates at about 3 car lengths or less, and the field of view of the camera when mounted just below the rear-view mirror is slightly wider than what I can see between the A pillars from the driver's seat. It takes decent still images too, roughly comparable to what I used to get from an iPhone 4, which would be useful for documenting things after an accident.

I don't think I'll get the two weeks of good drivers, though. So far I've caught two people running red lights from the turn lane going to work, and this little gem on the highway on my way home for lunch today:

I'm considering getting another one at some point to put in the back window.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ickna posted:

I don't think I'll get the two weeks of good drivers, though. So far I've caught two people running red lights from the turn lane going to work, and this little gem on the highway on my way home for lunch today:

Running a red arrow if the straight lanes have green is actually pro driving if that's what you're talking about.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I think this camera is bad luck. I plug it in and go for a test drive and I don't even get to the road before somebody does something stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BiDapcCZyQ

The frames dropping aren't in the original recording. I had to convert it to another file type for some reason because WMM wouldnt open this file specifically. The rest of the recordings it was OK with though. Probably because nothing happened.

On the bright side the sky was really pretty.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 12, 2014

ickna
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAublHsUne8

I bought myself a dash cam to record bad drivers and to be able to laugh at them later, but the real joke is how boring my own life is when seen from this perspective.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

ickna posted:

I bought myself a dash cam to record bad drivers and to be able to laugh at them later, but the real joke is how boring my own life is when seen from this perspective.

Wow this is extraordinarily lovely.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
Since getting my dashcam a few months ago, it's seen zero things worth uploading a video of.

Yesterday I drove my sisters car to somewhere without moving my camera, and within 2 minutes of getting on the freeway I suddenly saw a cloud of dust in the lane several hundred yards ahead of me. A few moments later my brain finally processed it as an SUV which had locked its brakes up and was now in the process of completing a counterclockwise 360 across two lanes. It spun another 120 degrees or so while other cars frantically dove out of the way, eventually facing backwards and right while momentum still carried it in the direction of traffic at a decent clip. The wheels suddenly gained traction again and it shot backwards across 3 lanes, into the shoulder, over a small berm and made it a few feet up the iceplant embankment before coming to a stop.

I pulled over to check that everything was fine. The car was totally undamaged, no one else seemed to have been affected, and the driver was just a bit shaken. Apparently someone cut the her off (I didn't see that part) and that's why she ended up in a spin. I really wish I had had my dashcam then because it would have made a spectacular video, there would have been a completely clear view of the thing right from start to finish since it happened right in front of me :(

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

On Saturday we saw a mattress just straight up lying across the exit ramp

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

schreibs posted:

Seriously. The first few shots were fine and than he starts showing us shots of someone leaving a resteraunt, a gas station, and his front door a few times. I actually downvoted it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ickna posted:

schreibs posted:

ickna
May 19, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Seriously. The first few shots were fine and than he starts showing us shots of someone leaving a resteraunt, a gas station, and his front door a few times. I actually downvoted it.

dpidz0r posted:

Since getting my dashcam a few months ago, it's seen zero things worth uploading a video of.

That's the whole point of the video. I spliced together all of the clips on my card of the camera starting up after I ran out of interesting things which I had marked as protected with the button on the camera. And even those interesting things had to be pan & zoomed to highlight what to look at.

These things are 10% fun, 90% boring poo poo. I'll be glad it's there in an accident for documenting things, but otherwise I'm thankful I didn't splurge for a fancier one or I'd be having serious buyers remorse.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I was going to post my awesome night-drive through the twisty roads nearby that features me swerving to avoid hitting a loving deer, but my camera has the worst low light sensor known to man, there is no sound when I import it to iMovie, and also features a buddy driving better than me.

So gently caress you guys, you can just imagine it while you watch icknas sun-shade removal videos.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Missed the point of the video and post. Pretty sure they were going for, "hey this thing is supposed to catch exciting things but instead I accidentally documented how boring and lovely the daily grind can be." And the video does an excellent job of conveying that depressing reality. Also it looks like its in the South so bonus depression.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

On Saturday we saw a mattress just straight up lying across the exit ramp

When I drove a tow truck (I'm starting to sound like an old man), I used to pull mattresses out from under cars at least once a month. Mattress typically come all apart and the inner springs just get all wound up in everything under there. I started carrying some heavy wire cutters in the truck just for that poo poo.

Thread should be renamed "Dashcam Thread: icknas sun-shade removal videos"

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 17, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Will the mobius definitely not work with >32GB cards?

I bought one on eBay today, and picked up a couple of sandisk class 10 64GB cards a couple of weeks ago. It's not the end of the world if they won't work, but I was liking the idea of having a ton of storage.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Welp, I'll soon be joining the dashcam crowd when I receive my 2 new G1W-Cs. I've been using my gopro but I want a more permanent solution for the daily drivers. Bought them from foxoffer with the rearview mirror mounts and 32gb memory cards. We'll see how it goes.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
First thing I've caught on my dash cam which was worth keeping - not an accident, just something that made me laugh,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4hW8Ey8DI

I'm now tempted to add the same signage to the back of my car :wiggle:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I just ordered a G1W off of eBay (This one, $40 shipped from the US, so I am slightly concerned about it being a bad knockoff), and I have a question:

I have a Mini, so I might do what another goon did in this thread and get a visor holder, but I am wondering: I have an auto-dimming rearview mirror, would a rear-view mirror mount block the sensor?

igv9
Sep 3, 2006
Everything witty I could put here has already been said.

Kazy posted:

I have an auto-dimming rearview mirror, would a rear-view mirror mount block the sensor?

It shouldn't. My mirror sensors are two light detectors about 1/2 an inch away from the mount horizontally. Since the mount is round there with all the business hanging down it doesn't interfere as far as I have noticed. The entirety of the dash cam in my case is below the mirror so definitely doesn't affect it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Baconroll posted:

First thing I've caught on my dash cam which was worth keeping - not an accident, just something that made me laugh,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4hW8Ey8DI

I'm now tempted to add the same signage to the back of my car :wiggle:

It took us hours to get the smile off his face.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Had this wonderful experience the other day. It's fairly common for people to run red lights at this intersection, though usually not this late after it's turned and not while someone is near stopped at the loving intersection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT0naTPRSls
If you look at my shadow you can see me checking my mirror as I slow down, the SUV was well behind me when I started braking but wasn't really slowing which was making me nervous. At the end of the clip they pull into a bottle shop :v:.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Ephphatha posted:

a bottle shop :v:

I'm guessing this is an Australian term for a liquor store?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

It took us hours to get the smile off his face.

It's apparently a game. That person clearly takes said game seriously, or doesn't know someone taped up the back of their RV.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's apparently a game. That person clearly takes said game seriously, or doesn't know someone taped up the back of their RV.

Great, now I can't see that for all RVs...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: NM

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Managed to combine and upload a few things I've recorded this spring. I had much more but I kept forgetting to pull them off of the camera before they were overwritten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnj6ZL3ouPc

The only one I really have a comment for is the first. Some idiot decided trying to swerve into my lane was a good idea. I always see stuff happening at this intersection. I would avoid it but I need to drive that direction once a week and my other option takes 10 minutes longer.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

What the hell was flying around at the end?

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

I've been lazy and just leave the memcard in the camera out in my car most of the time, but I had a few older videos of people being dumbasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAGqpSXPyBo
This guy rode my rear end for a few minutes before deciding to pass everyone. I get over when I can but that was the speed of traffic so what can ya do. He ended up getting stuck behind more cars just ahead anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=787pqOwcWCA
I've learned to keep my distance from cars full of teenage girls like the blue Camry in this video. What you can't see is the girl in the backseat flipping off the guy in the BMW because he had the audacity to think they would maintain their speed while passing that truck.

I read that you can cut up a pair of 3D glasses and tape it in front of the G1W's lens to work as a polarized filter. Cuts down on glare and dash reflections. I've already got black masking tape covering the big chrome ring and led/light spot, I should do that sometime.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

ijustam posted:

What the hell was flying around at the end?

Big sheets of styrofoam.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Got my G1W today. Do all just use the suction cup mount? Hows it hold up over time? I've had poor luck with suction cups in the past, with them falling off and what not.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

ijustam posted:

Got my G1W today. Do all just use the suction cup mount? Hows it hold up over time? I've had poor luck with suction cups in the past, with them falling off and what not.

Forget suction cups. Visor mount.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-sun-visor-Automobile-sun-shield-Clip-Mount-For-DVR-LS300W-LS330W-LS400W-/201020986519?pt=Car_Audio_Video

This one fits with no modification. Been using it daily for several months with no problem.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

ijustam posted:

I've been using a suction cup for my mobius for the past 3 weeks and its held on fine so far.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Not exactly dashcam but in car camera related.

Anyone know of a cheap camera that can do audio line in. I have an intercom system in the race car that has audio out and I'd like to have that in my videos. My cheap ghettopro pyle action camera is perfect because it has dashcam mode but no aux in.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Once you finally get the suction cup mounted properly it hangs on well. I've had mine on since January with no issues.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Another lightning shot pulled from the dash video. I've got some good debris, wind and other lightning from tonights storm chase. This was just my favorite shot though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Storm chase you say? You got any links to the video yet?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Slow is Fast posted:

Not exactly dashcam but in car camera related.

Anyone know of a cheap camera that can do audio line in. I have an intercom system in the race car that has audio out and I'd like to have that in my videos. My cheap ghettopro pyle action camera is perfect because it has dashcam mode but no aux in.

Kodak playtouch looks to fit the bill for 60 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just got my $100 eBay bucks certificate, time to blow it on dashcams since someone nicked my new car and drove off.

The OP says there's several different iterations of the G1W. I'm not in a rush to get it, this is the cheapest I found on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-HD-1080P-G1W-2-7-LCD-Car-DVR-Camera-Recorder-G-sensor-H-264-Night-Vision-/291146709354

Should I get that one or is there a better version of it?