Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
they've gone plaid!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Most recent chapters seem to have added not 1 but 3 new characters, including one with the most ridiculous hair ever. Taking bets as to how long it will take them to either die or join the harem.

But in all seriousness, adding new characters this far along makes me feel like there are no plans to end the series anytime soon.

? Which chapters are you talking about? The latest translated is now 59. Which I chuckled most of the way through.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

.Clash posted:

? Which chapters are you talking about? The latest translated is now 59. Which I chuckled most of the way through.

61&62. :china:

Avulsion posted:

After reading through this series in a day, I decided to check out some of Nihei's other stuff. It seems like he has a tendency to radically alter the tone, art, and even story halfway through a series before eventually going completely off the rails insane (Ex: Biomega, Abara). I think he just gets bored of drawing the same thing but with bigger enemies and decides to experiment. Hopefully the structure of Sidonia with the story alternating between robot/monster fights and slice of life episodes will help him stay focused in the long run.

Abara was cohesive, in terms of art and story, tone even. There was a pressing rush to stop the Gauna at the very start and it accelerated at a steady pace till the climax. I think Nihei is better when he does shorter stuff like that; Abara overall feels much tighter than Biomega, while still conveying much of the same impact as the first half of Biomega.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
I wonder which fight they are gonna finish the season off on in the anime, since they montaged a lot of the smaller fights in the most recent episode.

I doubt they'll cut Izana's first sortie, but it looks like they skipped it judging from ep10's preview. I guess the asteroid fight would be a pretty epic finale?

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Sydnesider posted:

I wonder which fight they are gonna finish the season off on in the anime, since they montaged a lot of the smaller fights in the most recent episode.

I doubt they'll cut Izana's first sortie, but it looks like they skipped it judging from ep10's preview. I guess the asteroid fight would be a pretty epic finale?

Going back and rereading the chapters they are jumping in between for the anime, I'm thinking they are going to make Izana's first sortie the final battle for the season. You can see in the preview when Izana is telling Nagate about the survival rate and that their time is fast approaching zero.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

How long is the anime's season? I assume they'll probably end the season with Izana's first sortie, Kunato getting mind controlled and maybe a tease of Tsumugi?

I have to say I'll be interested to see a profession translation, the fansub is pretty fansubby (planet killer missile translated as Exerminatus. :rolleyes:)

I just finished 59 and I guess they weren't kidding when they said that Tsugumori could fly through a star, still curious what the plan is.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
58 translated: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Sidonia-No-Kishi/Vol-012-Ch-058--Mizuki-s-Abilities

Battleship drifting. :getin:

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Couldn't help but think "Quaid, start the reactor!" when the guardian pilot exited the ship and asked to clasp hands.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
61 and the extra chapter that came with the BD now translated. You weren't kidding about that hair.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my breasts are immense

my cooch, intense

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I feel like I missed a joke. How could Izana be ranked 1 for both when she wasn't in the top lists for men or women separately?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Okay, what with (61) a practically indestructible material known as "megastructure", which also was prominently featured in Blame showing up in Sidonia, has Nihei ever explicitly confirmed or denied that his works take place in the same setting? Abara had Gauna in it as well, although they worked somewhat differently, but it could be conceivable that there's just thousands of years between each of these stories.

e: Also, Toha Heavy Industries shows up in both Knights of Sidonia and Biomega.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

blastron posted:

Okay, what with (61) a practically indestructible material known as "megastructure", which also was prominently featured in Blame showing up in Sidonia, has Nihei ever explicitly confirmed or denied that his works take place in the same setting? Abara had Gauna in it as well, although they worked somewhat differently, but it could be conceivable that there's just thousands of years between each of these stories.

Pretty sure they don't take place in the same universes, he just likes to do callbacks like that.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think only NOiSE was ever confirmed as a prequel to BLAME!, but most of his comics share a few reappearing concepts/names.

Also deadpan bridge-bunny is my new favourite character. Please don't get eaten and/or blown up.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

I feel like I missed a joke. How could Izana be ranked 1 for both when she wasn't in the top lists for men or women separately?

Ok, lets say you have 100 people voting for 3 separate people. 50 of the voters are men and 50 are women. 25 men & 5 women vote for person A, 25 women & 5 men vote for person B and 20 of both vote for person C.

Person A has the most votes from men at 25, but only 5 votes from women.
Person B has the most votes from women at 25, but only 5 from men.
Person C has neither the most votes from men or women with 20 from both, but has the most votes total at 40.

Person A is the most popular among men, person B is the most popular among women and person C is the most popular among both.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
(59)I could not stop laughing as Tsumugi interrupted Izana again, to announce she received a vote :allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Sydnesider posted:

(59)I could not stop laughing as Tsumugi interrupted Izana again, to announce she received a vote :allears:
Tsumugi doesn't see what the big deal is about clothes. She doesn't wear any. :colbert:

I was disappointed Tsumugi didn't win the vote.

chibi
Feb 11, 2004

Sindai posted:

Tsumugi doesn't see what the big deal is about clothes. She doesn't wear any. :colbert:

I was disappointed Tsumugi didn't win the vote.

I'm kind of glad she didn't win, because we got to see her be so adorably happy about the one vote she did get :3:

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I want to think that Izana was the one who voted for Tsumugi, mostly based on the fact that Tsumugi was asking her if she'd voted yet. Then again, it was probably Tanikaze as he doesn't seem to be interested in anyone else.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

blastron posted:

The colony ship in BLAME! that was wedged in a random part of the city was a toha heavy industries ship and looked alot like sidonia if i remember correctly.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
IIRC Blame and Biomega fit with each other pretty well, but I don't see how Sidonia could, since Earth got eaten by the megastructure instead of being blown up by gauna.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Finally finished reading this. It's an... odd manga but a fascinating setting, and the latter kind of saves it. Are the fights any easier to follow in the anime?

Also Ochiai is hilariously, and I do mean hilariously, bad at maintaining his cover. His whole rant upon seeing the human placenta for the first time and the reaction of that one lab tech girl was easily the funniest part of this manga as far as I'm concerned.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The Kunato Seaweedo reveal in chapter 62 is hilarious.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

Kassad posted:

The Kunato Seaweedo reveal in chapter 62 is hilarious.

That was pretty great too, yes. Hopefully we'll see more cultural sidenotes like that in the future.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

The next season of the anime has been confirmed in the finale, best girl confirmed as well. Still disappointed that I didn't get to see my favorite scene from the manga animated. O...onigiri...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

advokat posted:

Finally finished reading this. It's an... odd manga but a fascinating setting, and the latter kind of saves it. Are the fights any easier to follow in the anime?

The fight animation is the high point of the anime, yes.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wonder what's gonna happen with Noriochiai once he comes out of that rock-induced coma

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

This series is so loving strange. Anon's up to chapter 63 now, Tanikaze goes on a date! With Tsumugi! Tanikaze confesses! Also Sidonia has two loving graviton cannons now and Kobayashi didn't seem to learn her lesson last time, so it looks like Katana is gonna get the axe now. Somehow I don't think that's going to end well.

I gotta give it to Nihei, I never thought the :3: emote would accurately describe a gigantic deathmachine made by mixing body horror alien monsters with humans, but here we are.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 28, 2014

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I noticed that the wiki didn't have a page for this yet so I threw one together, only thing is I'm having trouble thinking of any other stuff that's similar to recommend..
I put Attack on Titan on there for obvious reasons but anyone else have suggestions?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Chapter 63 it was mentioned previously that it had been translated by Anon but here it is on a site. Strangest but very warmhearted date but poo poo's going to happen with getting rid of the 2nd Chimera and finally taking on the Large Mass Union!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh my god that was the most adorable thing ever. :syoon:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 15, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm not sure about this. Tsumugi is basically a child.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

RatHat posted:

I'm not sure about this. Tsumugi is basically a child.

So is Tanikaze.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Amstrad posted:

I noticed that the wiki didn't have a page for this yet so I threw one together, only thing is I'm having trouble thinking of any other stuff that's similar to recommend..
I put Attack on Titan on there for obvious reasons but anyone else have suggestions?

I'd say Battlestar Galactica, but that's not anime so it's out. Crest of the Stars maybe? It's not quite the same post apocalyptic thing, but it does got space adventures. Also, it's pretty drat old.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
This goddamn comic. Where else do you see poo poo like

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That was not the girl I expected him to choose.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
I have no idea what the hell i just read :psyduck:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, a manga where the harem-meister picks the best girl? Well, color me surprised.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Alright so,

Dude decided to pick up the childish space monster, in traditional anime fashion, and then the other two girls immediately hooked up. That the gist of that or what because anime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Alright so,

Dude decided to pick up the childish space monster, in traditional anime fashion, and then the other two girls immediately hooked up. That the gist of that or what because anime?

Pretty sure it's the good ol' spunky runner-up thing. She's declaring that she may have lost the battle but the war ain't over, which blows Izana's mind.

• Locked thread