Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I Before E posted:

But what about when you need to keep the sun out of your eyes?

What is this "sun" you speak of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

Juliet?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

All envious moons can step the gently caress back.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The State is so good, you guys.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

therattle posted:

The other day as we were walking to our grading suite we were talking about Hercules, which is posting in the same building. As pardner says "It's a shame it's directed by Brett Ratner, we round the corner and see in the open doorway the very same man. I don't think he heard. He looks like a douche-nozzle.

I did this with Johnny Depp and I'm like 90% sure he did hear. 3 days later my friend's boyfriend had to ask Depp to get out of his assigned airplane seat.

It ain't easy being Depp.

e: lesson learned re: studio etiquette that day.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

I Before E posted:

The State is so good, you guys.
The State and its cast are the ultimate in hit-or-missiveness. Some skits just fall flat on their faces, while others, like Tenement and the Pope's visit, are comedy gold. Really, I think a lot of their subsequent projects have been the same way, like The Ten and Reno 911.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CloseFriend posted:

The State and its cast are the ultimate in hit-or-missiveness. Some skits just fall flat on their faces, while others, like Tenement and the Pope's visit, are comedy gold. Really, I think a lot of their subsequent projects have been the same way, like The Ten and Reno 911.

It's a Doug thing, man, you wouldn't understaaaaand.

Ah forget it, I'm outta heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

God dammit, I was at the library today trying to remember that name. Isn't that Greg Rucka or some other comic book dude's pen name.

Nah Swierczynski is his own dude. He does write comics, though. Solid writer.

I feel like Duane Swierczynski, Charlie Huston, and Greg Rucka have a nice little literary niche carved out for themselves.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

"TwistedLadder" posted:

Gatts, I never saw your e/n thread about your love life. I feel deprived.

10 pages of whacked. 34000+ characters that are train of thought. can't post that...I gotta let it season.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

fruitpunch posted:

I felt more or less the same, everything from the point where they did the Halo jump onwards was absolutely spot-on and holy poo poo how pretty are those shots of the jumpers trailing red smoke as they dive into the city?

I love that we just get clash then cut away then the jumpers descending into hell.

CelticPredator posted:

It did. But people didn't like the lack of monster action and the fun tongue and cheek cut aways. I liked that stuff. It could've used maybe 5 more minutes of Godzilla, I suppose, but I thought the monsters were perfectly kept at a distance.

There will be a sequel, but I'm sure the studio will request a lot more monster action. I like my monster movies slow when it comes to revealing the monsters.

loving loved those cut aways.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Pacific Rim 2: It says something for Del Toro that I was largely disappointed by the first one and still I want to give him the benefit of the doubt with whatever he comes up with next. Just...please replace Charlie Hunnam. Just go with an all new cast.

It's kind of odd that it's getting a sequel since I thought the first movie very deliberately makes it so there is no sequel set up. There's no franchise hook there, it seemed to end pretty definitively.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

God dammit, I was at the library today trying to remember that name. Isn't that Greg Rucka or some other comic book dude's pen name.

I got an Earl Emmerson book instead, they're well written but fairly by the book PI novels, except they take place in Seattle.

Dickeye, have you read Richard Stark's Parker novels? They're all about A BAD MAN DOING BAD THINGS AND NOT ATONING FOR poo poo, ALSO HE'S NOT A LOOSE CANNON, SITUATIONS GET BEYOND HIS CONTROL BUT HE ALWAYS MAINTAINS THE EMOTIONAL BALANCE TO REACT LOGICALLY TO THE SITUATION. Point Blank and Payback (and Parker, but apparently that movie sucks) are all based on him.

No, they're actually by Duane Swiepolish name. That's the dude's real name, he writes comics too. Also of course I've read Parker, the gently caress kind of person you think I am.

effectual posted:

You should post about it in the book barn airplane book thread.

Let's not go in TBB. Also these are better than just cheap garbage airport thrillers because they're beautifully over the top and silly.

therattle posted:

Dickeye, I too wear radar (army) caps, but without labels. I need to protect my shorn head from rain and sun.

Yeah I took the label off of mine as soon as I put it on and decided I liked it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DNS posted:

I always like the idea of watching The Usual Suspects more than I do actually watching it. Like, "oh man that would hit the spot right now" except I'm thinking of a better version of it I guess.

Try this for me. Watch just the first 20 minutes and then report back and honestly answer if you'd want to watch more.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
GODZILLA VS PACIFIC RIM

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Dissapointed Owl posted:

GODZILLA VS PACIFIC RIM

Don't you know, 'VS' is old and busted. It's all about 'V' now.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

We should start crossing over (crossovering?) movies using better formulae entirely.

GODZILLA PACIFIC RIM

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Hbomberguy posted:

We should start crossing over (crossovering?) movies using better formulae entirely.

GODZILLA PACIFIC RIM

Can we just write that out as "GODZILLA TO THE POWER OF PACIFIC RIM"? Because I'd watch that movie.

e: Swap that around. PACIFIC RIM TO THE POWER OF GODZILLA :black101:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

logGodzilla Pacific Rim

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

The sooner we get this accepted in the parlance of cinemas, the sooner Dreamworks can team up with JJ Abrams and create STAR SHREK

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Literally The Worst posted:

Let's not go in TBB. Also these are better than just cheap garbage airport thrillers because they're beautifully over the top and silly.

So are most of these. And there's a goon "Payndz" who writes some of those.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3282164

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I give you a solid 6 Reillys, Payndz. Your stuff is awesome and insane but at least in the realm of possibility except for the stuff that obviously isn't (the main plot).

Another Zero Reilly I think would be Larry Bond.

1 Reilly = Harold Coyle
2 Reillys = Stephen Coontz
3 Reillys = Andy McNab, Vince Flynn
5 Reillys = Mel Odom
6 Reillys = Andy McDermott, Dale Brown, David Lynn Goelman
7 Reillys = Richard Marcinko, James Rollins
8 Reillys =
9 Reillys =
10 Reillys= Matt Reilly (of course)

The emoticon for the Reilly is :wtc:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Try this for me. Watch just the first 20 minutes and then report back and honestly answer if you'd want to watch more.

This thread always makes me feel like I'm the last living human who enjoys that movie on its own merits.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

effectual posted:

So are most of these. And there's a goon "Payndz" who writes some of those.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3282164

Matt Reilly is loving insane. I read Seven Deadly Wonders in high school and it was gloriously poo poo.

Also, I used to like Brad Thor before he got to be buddies with Glenn beck and disappeared up his own rear end with how terrible democrats are and how they're ruining America. His books are/were literally about a blonde-haired blue-eyed former champion skier and Navy SEAL who was on the president's secret service detail before he got transferred to a top secret black ops team.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

It's in tune.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This thread always makes me feel like I'm the last living human who enjoys that movie on its own merits.

More power to ya.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Slice of life: Couldn't really sleep last night, and woke up early-ish (9am on a day I have off) all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Which means at noon-or-thereabouts, my body is going to realize that I shouldn't be awake, and crash hard.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Slice of life: really really mundane stuff occurred not even sure why I brought it up

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MisterBibs posted:

Slice of life: Couldn't really sleep last night, and woke up early-ish (9am on a day I have off) all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Which means at noon-or-thereabouts, my body is going to realize that I shouldn't be awake, and crash hard.

Poor you. Child woke up at 5:40. 9am! Lucky gently caress.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
the usual suspects is good and not bad.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Even though it's not the apex of everything like it was when I was 13, there's still plenty there to like. The ensemble, soundtrack, pace, etc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Literally The Worst posted:

Matt Reilly is loving insane. I read Seven Deadly Wonders in high school and it was gloriously poo poo.
God yes. I read a few of his books in high school and I couldn't help but read them straight through from cover to cover. They're like the Metal Gear Solid games in book form. Completely absurd, hilarious and wonderful in their own way.

I wonder if he's written any new ones in the past few years. If so, I'll have to check them out, although they're probably just derivatives of the same ideas. Still, those ideas are entertaining as gently caress so who cares.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Poor you. Child woke up at 5:40. 9am! Lucky gently caress.

Don't lie. Everyone knows the timeframe from 1am to 8am is a myth propagated by Big Time and/or the Chrono-Military complex.

Seriously, I'm only mildly annoyed because I had the day off.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I really don't miss the time in my life when 9:00 am was considered early. Mornings are great, and I'm not a morning person at all.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Danger posted:

I really don't miss the time in my life when 9:00 am was considered early. Mornings are great, and I'm not a morning person at all.

It sounds like you are.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

DrVenkman posted:

Pacific Rim 2: It says something for Del Toro that I was largely disappointed by the first one and still I want to give him the benefit of the doubt with whatever he comes up with next. Just...please replace Charlie Hunnam. Just go with an all new cast.

My thoughts exactly.

Charlie Day can stay, though.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Ugghhhh as if I needed to be any more hyped for MGS5.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The genius of vagina bombs

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean yeah the vagina bomb thing is kind of dumb but it's not nearly enough to counteract the insane amount of good will Kojima's built up over the years and everything else that makes MGS5 look loving fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:allears:

If only Nic Refn were directing the MGS movie...

• Locked thread