Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In any case, it's obvious that the predominant color is black. That little gif screen is essentially a black rectangle with spots.

hahahahahahahahaha holy poo poo dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Vermain posted:

Honestly, rudimentary is good when it comes to mecha. What matters the most is conveying the key moments of the pilot, rather than trying to inform the audience of every action that they take.

Here's the (untranslated) fight against Shamshel in Evangelion 1.0. The cockpit is incredibly simple: it's got a viewport and a pilot's chair, and that's it. The design of it falls apart if you think about the basic premise behind an Evangelion (it responds primarily to your conscious thought), which begs the question of why you'd even bother having the chair with the controls sitting there. The controls are merely meant to give intuition to the movement of the Evangelion. No one has controlled a robot with their thoughts, but they have driven a car or an airplane or something similar, and understand the connection of a set of controls with the movement of the machine. It's rudimentary, but very effective at conveying the control that the pilots have over their machines.

The match cuts here work well to express the mood of Shinji, though they generally abstain from actually showing him performing an action matched by Unit 01, aside from when it's intimate (e.g., as he's brutally stabbing Shamshel at the end). Generally, match shots go from Unit 01 to Shinji (Unit 01 gets knocked to the ground, Shinji is flat on his back...), representing piloting one as a terrible alien trauma (rather than him gleefully moving the Evangelion around, with it reacting according to his will).

The viewport's also critical, because it creates a direct connection between the events outside with the events inside the mecha itself. There's a fantastic set of shots during Asuka's battle with the Mass Production Evas where she picks up a gigantic, unwieldy sword. The viewport gives a view to the outside to see just how much weight is being put behind each swing, accurately conveying its force.

I think match shots work quite well for mecha, but that it's dependent upon cockpit design that establishes a clear, intuitive connection between the world "inside" and the outside world, as well as between the pilot and the machine. I'm not sure that split-screen would work well for mecha, simply because it would create a severing of what's supposed to be an intimate connection between the pilot and their machine by representing them as two separate characters.

Sick post.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neowyrm posted:

hahahahahahahahaha holy poo poo dude

I replaced the darkest parts of the image (colors that are black or near-black) with pink in MS paint. It's quick and dirty, but you get the idea.

It's a really dark image.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
At this point SMG could probably say something just basic and factual like "Charlie Day is in the film" and another steaming pile of angry non-sequitur venom would result.

You're casting observations before swine, dude.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
This is actually really funny. People are literally denying that black is the absence of light in order to 'defend' the movie from... what?

No wonder the basic observation that it's fascist caused such a panic.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
In King Hu's A Touch of Zen, the action scenes are all nearly incomprehensible because they're obscured by darkness and a mess of buildings and trees in the foreground, except for the clearly lit scenes with the Buddhist monks which culminate in the final scene when the camera fixates directly on the sun as the Buddhist monk attains enlightenment. Pacific Rim has no Buddha

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
SMG maybe you should get your eyes checked? None of the poo poo you are saying about clarity or colour makes any sense to me.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

It's amazing that people ignore the surprisingly simple observation that the hands aren't as clear as they could be to declare that they can see the hands and that SMG must be visually impaired - and also have asperger's syndrome, etc...

My monitor's contrast is slightly off (it's a knockoff taiwanese thing) so I actually had to stand at an angle to see the hands against the background with any decent clarity. I didn't have to do such a thing with the Alien Queen or Twister. This is a basic issue of cinematography and not an inherent criticism of the film - that comes after. But what a surprise, people with Pacific Rim avatars are emerging from the woodwork to 'defend' the film from simple observations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
No one's ignoring anything, dude. SMG is just being SMG. Sorry you fell for it. Reading is cool, which I believe I've mentioned in this thread before. Haven't seen a single PR avatar either, but maybe that's an issue of cinematography. Cheers guys.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I often disagree with SMG even though I know he is a more insightful reader of films than but I am, but the only thing I really have against him is his tendency (unintentional?) to provoke other people to argue badly against him. Maybe this is hypocritical, I dunno.

Habibi posted:

Haven't seen a single PR avatar either, but maybe that's an issue of cinematography. Cheers guys.

Two posts above yours.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I try to address other posters the way I like to be addressed, so I try not to be too combative and be willing to change my mind. SMG's point is relatively simple, but because they're SMG it's getting blown out of proportion. I am trying to judge their posts without that sort of bias and their point seems really simple. I enjoy quite a bit of Pacific Rim despite my myriad complaints, but one of them is the visuals have issues like this.

ed: Conversely, while I don't enjoy Evangelion very much (although I'm due to rewatch it) and think it's championed unfairly in the anime community as some sort of god-king of mecha and depth (when the real unquestionable best anime ever is Gatchaman Crowds), the visuals are really expressive. See? I can like and dislike things without it inherently making everything else about it good or bad.

Habibi posted:

Haven't seen a single PR avatar either

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 28, 2014

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
If your theory is that something looks unclear, and a lot of people reply that actually they found it perfectly clear, you can either adjust your theory accordingly or you can just assume that they're all Pacific Rim sheeple telling lies out of spite. Interesting to see which one everyone's gone for.

Also Hbomberguy, get a better monitor, jesus christ. Is that the same screen you watch movies on?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
From the way a lot of people react to SMG I don't think your second option is too far fetched.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
People dismissing SMG would have more credibility if they were also engaging in thoughtful discussion instead of talking about merchandising and trying to turn this into an Xbox One level hug box.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

The only previous time I have ever had trouble really seeing stuff on this monitor was, incidentally, when I rewatched Pacific Rim on it. I have a second monitor with better coloring that I use to test edits and renders, and even that one gave me some trouble.

I'm not intrinsically calling everyone involved sheeple - but there are a ton of people targeting SMG because they're SMG, 'he always does this' 'he's sperging the gently caress out again', etc. and I would much rather the issue at hand be discussed properly. If you think the hands are clear, please give me an example from another film when something in the supposedly-visible foreground has been less clear, and we'll compare them.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Sorry for being a big dumb corporate shill or whatever but I really don't know how to debate this point? Arguments about fascism or other perfectly valid readings make sense to me, and I love reading them. But being told that a movie I watched and was able to quite clearly see the action in is actually really dark and muddled when it just wasn't is massively confusing.

It's like trying to have (or at least listen to) a conversation with an otherwise intelligent and interesting person who suddenly starts insisting the sky is green.

SMG makes a lot of interesting points when he criticizes this film but it here really feels like he's making some kind of point based on his personal experience that wasn't true for me and I guess a bunch of other people. And of course his cheer squad leap in the second anyone suggests maybe he's wrong, which is nice.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 28, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Boy I sure am glad you found all these people that you were talking about. Job well done.

SHISHKABOB posted:

From the way a lot of people react to SMG I don't think your second option is too far fetched.

I find his posts hilarious. How anyone can take 'let's compare this picture of GWB holding a pumpkin' seriously is beyond me. Is it really difficult to parse his bullshit? Amazing.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Habibi posted:

Boy I sure am glad you found all these people that you were talking about.

You claimed not to have seen 'a single' PR avatar. You were wrong. Let's not make a song and dance about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

My monitor's contrast is slightly off (it's a knockoff taiwanese thing) so I actually had to stand at an angle to see the hands against the background with any decent clarity.

Mine's a few years old but adjusted properly. I could make out everything in every image except Cherno Alpha's clusterfuck of colors that is its cockpit, which took me a few seconds. I notice he didn't do his little pink test on that one.

quote:

SMG makes a lot of interesting points when he criticizes this film but it here really feels like he's making some kind of point based on his personal experience that wasn't true for me and I guess a bunch of other people.

This is why I mentioned his nonsense about believing himself Absolute Truth. He cannot consider that anyone else sees things differently, the potential he is wrong is unthinkable to him. He is right and all who disagree are the Enemy, as he's mentioned so often. Of course, then he'll try to speak Truth about, say, lesbians, and the actual truth is revealed.

Hmm. Truth, an ever-present Enemy, and a hated Other. What does that remind me of?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 28, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
He posts that way in order to incite people because wow it's like maybe he enjoys talking about movies or something. He pretty much says exactly that in his first posts in this thread after the movie came out.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

You claimed not to have seen 'a single' PR avatar. You were wrong. Let's not make a song and dance about it.

You said people with PR avatars were defending the film. You spotted one person with a PR avatar (who wasn't really arguing anyway). I get that you look up to and admire SMG and defending him is your gimmick here but you're flatly wrong here. No need to make a song and dance about it.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

Habibi posted:

Boy I sure am glad you found all these people that you were talking about. Job well done.

I find his posts hilarious. How anyone can take 'let's compare this picture of GWB holding a pumpkin' seriously is beyond me. Is it really difficult to parse his bullshit? Amazing.

He's using childish graphics and obviously talking down to you because you're not grasping one of the most basic concepts of cinematography. The film obfuscates the action with alarming regularity, and the cinematography is noisy.

For further assistance so you can communicate without getting mad, I highly advise this resource.

I hope this helps.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

You said people with PR avatars were defending the film. You spotted one person with a PR avatar (who wasn't really arguing anyway). I get that you look up to and admire SMG and defending him is your gimmick here but you're flatly wrong here. No need to make a song and dance about it.

Multiple posters with PR avatars have emerged to 'defend' the film from SMG in the past. I was writing as much about this particular event as I was about a general trend - in which people with Pacific Rim avatars emerge to defend the film from simple observations. I even wrote "what a surprise" as a sarcastic indication that this event is not surprising.

I do not 'look up to' people. I support the points that I think are correct. Speaking of gimmicks: You are welcome to continue :iceburn:ing me every month or so if you like, it keeps me on my toes. I'm sure one will eventually make a decent point and I'll concede it and my arguments will improve. Thanks in advance!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

thatbastardken posted:

Sorry for being a big dumb corporate shill or whatever but I really don't know how to debate this point? Arguments about fascism or other perfectly valid readings make sense to me, and I love reading them. But being told that a movie I watched and was able to quite clearly see the action in is actually really dark and muddled when it just wasn't is massively confusing.

It's like trying to have (or at least listen to) a conversation with an otherwise intelligent and interesting person who suddenly starts insisting the sky is green.

SMG makes a lot of interesting points when he criticizes this film but it here really feels like he's making some kind of point based on his personal experience that wasn't true for me and I guess a bunch of other people. And of course his cheer squad leap in the second anyone suggests maybe he's wrong, which is nice.

Pacific Rim was super dark and gritty in a lot of its scenes compared to other movies in the genre. Like, just, half the scenes took place in the ocean at night. The garish neon light DOES make it look like Punisher. I had never considered that this might be a contentious opinion before I saw SMG getting flamed half way out of the forums for posting it with multiple screenshots to back him up. Jesus, this forum.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I actually really dug the dark'n'gritty fight scenes in PR. It was a nice juxtaposition with the neon the rest of the film had.

I watched it again recently and enjoyed it even more the second time around. It works better as a satire of kaiju films.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Yaws posted:

It works better as a satire of kaiju films.

Interesting. Please elaborate on this!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vulich the Subtle posted:

He's using childish graphics and obviously talking down to you because you're not grasping one of the most basic concepts of cinematography. The film obfuscates the action with alarming regularity, and the cinematography is noisy.

And yet some members of the audience were able to follow the action without much problem. Clearly there is a level on which it's legible to some and not to other.

Plus there's a certain fatigue going on here. This is not a good faith inquiry into how different viewers respond to different approaches to cinematography. This is "Pacific Rim Is A Bad Movie, Part 812". It's wearying to defend a movie you think is legitimately good against this level of scrutiny for this long. I've tried, I've said my piece many times, I am tired. Can you blame me for being the tiniest bit snippy?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

Multiple posters with PR avatars have emerged to 'defend' the film from SMG in the past.

Why does it matter what avatars they have? Do you automatically ignore the arguments of people with certain avatars? That seems pretty stupid.

Also, when someone says "this is unclear" and a bunch of other people say "I disagree" and then the first group acts like a bunch of twats trying to belittle the second group those people are going to get annoyed.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Avatars are not a reason to automatically dismiss someone's views, they're a clue as to how a discussion ostensibly about cinematography has become so oddly personal.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

Maxwell Lord posted:

And yet some members of the audience were able to follow the action without much problem. Clearly there is a level on which it's legible to some and not to other.

Plus there's a certain fatigue going on here. This is not a good faith inquiry into how different viewers respond to different approaches to cinematography. This is "Pacific Rim Is A Bad Movie, Part 812". It's wearying to defend a movie you think is legitimately good against this level of scrutiny for this long. I've tried, I've said my piece many times, I am tired. Can you blame me for being the tiniest bit snippy?

When I say obsfucate the action I don't mean "you don't know if Leatherback is punching Cherno Alpha."

What I mean is that, especially in the big multi-party fight scene, is that the action is moved from the actual fighting to shots of the cockpit. This, cinematically, is disorienting because it is displacing the viewer from seeing the action (the exciting part) to the ramifications of the action (consoles exploding, wires falling). It's not following the action, it's that the action that is happening is disjointed and moved around.

There are also no clear shots in the film because the camera is always placed in intimate locations: the shoulder of Gipsy Danger is used repeatedly in this way. We know what's going on, but what we are seeing isn't exactly clearly shown.

It isn't a value statement. The film is obviously not clearly shot. The fun is arguing whether it's due to ideology or bad work.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

when someone says "this is unclear" and a bunch of other people say "I disagree" and then the first group acts like a bunch of twats trying to belittle the second group those people are going to get annoyed.

Who have I belittled?

It isn't a value statement. The film is obviously not clearly shot. The fun is arguing whether it's due to ideology or bad work.

Exactly. I can't wait to reach the fun part!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thatbastardken posted:

SMG maybe you should get your eyes checked? None of the poo poo you are saying about clarity or colour makes any sense to me.

Basic colour theory: 'blue' and 'orange' are complementary colors.

'Dark blue' and 'black' are not complementary colors

White text on yellow is hard to read, because there is very little contrast. Dark blue shapes on a black background are hard to read, because there is very little contrast.

Contrasts make things easier to read.

Contrast means that something is different from another thing, rather than similar. There is a game on Sesame Street called 'one of these things is not like the others'. We can play this game as well. Dark blue and black are very similar colors, and orange is very different. One of these colours is not like the others. Orange is not like dark blue or black.

Visual clarity refers to the legibility of the image. I am writing about cinematography, the way the image is composed to convey visual information. A cinematographer is a man who 'writes' images for you to 'read'. He uses things like basic color theory to make images easier to read. An image may only be onscreen for a second or two, so it needs to be easy to read. An image that is less clear is more difficult to read.

'Difficult' means that something is hard, but not impossible. It is 'possible' to read yellow text on a white background, but it is 'difficult' to do so. It is 'easier' to read text that is black. This is why books typically use black ink instead of yellow ink.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 28, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Except the ideological angle has also been a line of attack, so it's heads-I-win-tails-you-lose. Either it's horrific fascism or just plain incompetence, we aren't allowed any other answers.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Except the ideological angle has also been a line of attack, so it's heads-I-win-tails-you-lose. Either it's horrific fascism or just plain incompetence, we aren't allowed any other answers.

Allowed by who?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

RBA Starblade posted:

This is why I mentioned his nonsense about believing himself Absolute Truth. He cannot consider that anyone else sees things differently, the potential he is wrong is unthinkable to him. He is right and all who disagree are the Enemy, as he's mentioned so often. Of course, then he'll try to speak Truth about, say, lesbians, and the actual truth is revealed.

Hmm. Truth, an ever-present Enemy, and a hated Other. What does that remind me of?

Is the lesbian bit a reference to something he actually posted?

e: SMG, the blind, autistic, sexist, fascist homophobe of CineD

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
About a year ago when it came out my very first complaint leaving the movie was that it was just ugly, and while not incomprehensible it was visually difficult to interpret. I found myself disagreeing with just about every decision of framing and lighting and thinking "could have been done better" after almost every action scene. In the time intervening I thought maybe I was a little hard on Pacific Rim, but SMG's screencaps back up my impressions pretty thoroughly. I don't think del Toro and Navarro didn't know what they were doing, but the final product looked so ugly it took me out of the movie.

Maybe if the movie had a plot, characters or events worth giving a drat about it could have made up the difference. Even the movie's defenders though always tell me "you're not supposed to care about the characters, just enjoy the robots hitting the monsters!" well okay, if that's the only criteria to go by the movie sucks.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Is the lesbian bit a reference to something he actually posted?

A willfully misunderstood and out-of-context reference.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

Allowed by who?

The parameters of the discussion. We've had the political argument and the fascist reading is the only one SMG sees as potentially valid. Not just the one he agrees with, mind you, but the one he thinks has any support at all. (I think this is another key distinction that gets lost in the "just your opinion, man" idea- one can have a chosen reading of a work and still see others as intellectually valid or understandable. I don't think King Kong is an allegory for slavery but I see where people get that.)

Granted this is mostly because anything short of explicit revolutionary socialism is fascism, much like how to a fundamentalist Christian all non-fundamentalist-Christian beliefs are Satanism in various guises.

I also find the reduction to "ideology or incompetence" interesting. Why are those our only choices?

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 28, 2014

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Harime Nui posted:

Maybe if the movie had a plot, characters or events worth giving a drat about it could have made up the difference. Even the movie's defenders though always tell me "you're not supposed to care about the characters, just enjoy the robots hitting the monsters!" well okay, if that's the only criteria to go by the movie sucks.

I liked the characters and thought they were p. chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Basic colour theory: 'blue' and 'orange' are complementary colors.

'Dark blue' and 'black' are not complementary colors

White text on yellow is hard to read, because there is very little contrast. Dark blue shapes on a black background are hard to read, because there is very little contrast.

Contrasts make things easier to read.

Contrast means that something is different from another thing, rather than similar. There is a game on Sesame Street called 'one of these things is not like the others'. We can play this game as well. Dark blue and black are very similar colors, and orange is very different. One of these colours is not like the others. Orange is not like dark blue or black.

Visual clarity refers to the legibility of the image. I am writing about cinematography, the way the image is composed
to convey visual information. A cinematographer is a man who 'writes' images for you to 'read'. He uses things like basic color theory to make images easier to read. An image may only be onscreen for a second or two, so it needs to be easy to read. An image that is less clear is more difficult to read.

'Difficult' means that something is hard, but not impossible. It is 'possible' to read yellow text on a white background, but it is 'difficult' to do so. It is 'easier' to read text that is black. This is why books typically use black ink instead of yellow ink.

AVP 2 was much worse than PR for this

• Locked thread