Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe this second Giant of Babil is going to take hundreds of years to destroy everything. Nothing to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Elentor posted:

Yuffie also prioritizes more powerful materia over less powerful ones.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I'd like very much to say that makes sense since she is just one ninja girl, but that feels like suspiciously like some sor tof weird bug. Especially since you can theoretically do the sidequest on any disc at any point.
I found out this much later from that video of "100 Things You Never Knew About Final Fantasy" but basically, Yuffie can only ever steal around 50 materia, the most high-priority being most of the summons including the most powerful one of all. From that point on the list dwindles down further and further and basically, you'll almost always be left with your Fire, Bolt, Cure and Ice materias at best.
Which are more than enough by this point in the game to go take down anything in Wutai, hell Rapps went down like a bitch after a few Bolt3s since the game didn't really anticipate that kind of level. Of course Final Fantasy VII enemies never scale their level with you so that made it easy, but other than that everything else went by perfectly the same as when Elentor did it.

The only problem is that you miss something special with the Turtle Paradise stuff if you don't do it on Disc 1 if I recall, that or it becomes useless to do so? I'm not sure but either way that's the only thing I can think of. But yes while in Wutai and all that sidequest, nothing moves at all on the world map.

Nothing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
They should've just made her steal the most expensive stuff. All those All Materias, gone :smith:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

revtoiletduck posted:

I believe this is the part of the game where I played until like 4am because I just couldn't put it down.

Yeah, same here. Then I did a whole bunch of sidequests, and forgot about what I was supposed to be doing.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

FinalGamer posted:

But yes while in Wutai and all that sidequest, nothing moves at all on the world map.

Nothing.

Is something supposed to be moving on the world map, or is that a spoiler?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Is something supposed to be moving on the world map, or is that a spoiler?

Probably a Spoiler. I think I know what he's talking about.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh god it's a Mana Cannon.

The memes are spreading.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Sister Ray has nothing on the Hex Cannon from Breath of Fire IV.

...and that's a good thing. Goddamn. :smith:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I think last time I played this I got up to the hunt for the huge materia. I definitely remember having trouble with the boss right before the submarine, because I'm bad at video games. The only parts I saw was shortly before the endgame and the very end. And a bit of chocobo breeding.

So it's nice to see all the details in between!

e: just realized I made a VERY SIMILAR post 15 months ago. :drat:

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I'm betting that with a machine as large as the Junon Cannon Sister Ray, they have a lot of replacement parts being built and in storage, and are constantly partially disassembling it to inspect it for possible failures and to replace bits that have gone bad. So I think they moved it by just disassembling some of the largest, most important parts into manageable chunks then filling in the gaps with the spare parts they had in a warehouse somewhere.

Sorta like that story where college students put a police car on the roof of a building.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

revtoiletduck posted:

I believe this is the part of the game where I played until like 4am because I just couldn't put it down.

Last time I was at the hospital, I pretty much played the second half of disc 2 as well as disc 3 on my Vita in one go, since the pacing was so good. You've pretty much been everywhere by this point, and have an airship, so you're able to advance the plot very quickly.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Sister Ray has nothing on the Hex Cannon from Breath of Fire IV.

...and that's a good thing. Goddamn. :smith:
Aw christ why did you make me remember that :gonk: god...dammit that was horrifying.

Breath of Fire IV is an amazing game and more people should play it.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

Aw christ why did you make me remember that :gonk: god...dammit that was horrifying.

I did. I actually OWN the PS1 game. I didn't even know I did, I just found it in my closet one day. It was a wonderful game, from beginning to end. I wanted more after it was done.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

FinalGamer posted:

It's the only BoF game I've managed to play through... And to this day some of the stuff in that game ranks up, especially the Hex Cannon.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I loved III but never finished IV. (I tried to play it when I had mono and gave up midway through, I think). Sounds like I need to give it another look.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

dismas posted:

I loved III but never finished IV. (I tried to play it when I had mono and gave up midway through, I think). Sounds like I need to give it another look.
III is pretty good but IV absolutely excels in every way. The soundtrack is much more varied, the combat is a little more developed, the story is VERY well-written and utilises its characters better. IV also does not have the Desert of Death despite the fact it STARTS in a desert so that's also a big plus.

I mean I love BoFIII a LOT don't get me wrong, but there are some parts of that game that do frustrate the hell out of me compared to IV. Don't wanna derail this so just gonna end on saying, it is the best Breath of Fire game you could ever play.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

dismas posted:

Fun fact: III is about 16 bucks on steam, compared to the 12 FF7/8 are. Compared content wise, 7 is obviously superior to 3, but it costs more? Also, do try IV again. But stay away from the After Years.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Silegna posted:

Fun fact: III is about 16 bucks on steam, compared to the 12 FF7/8 are. Compared content wise, 7 is obviously superior to 3, but it costs more? Also, do try IV again. But stay away from the After Years.

They're talking about Breath Of Fire III and IV, not Final Fantasy. I've only played BoF II.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
drat it, got genuinely excited thinking that BoFIII was on Steam.

President of Space
Mar 30, 2012
So, the Sister Ray. I've never quite gotten the joke with that one, or why Scarlet is so dramatic about re-naming it. It doesn't appear to be a pun, or really any sort of wordplay at all. Is it a joke in Japanese? Is there something I'm missing here or is it just another bit of evidence that Scarlet is nuts and I should assume the other Shinra execs are rolling their eyes at her?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You should have gotten a hint because the version of FFIII on Steam is absolutely unloveable.

I'm playing FF7 slowly along at the moment. Just after having gotten the buggy, now - it's insane how broken Enemy Skill even now is. Big Guard, White Wind (it cures status, too?!), Beta and Aqualung area already at my disposal. Ridiculous. I'm following an FAQ to get everything, so I had to return to Junon just after getting Manipulate off Cait Sith - didn't know nor expect that they had a helicopter taxi there to get you outside the city fast (to get back in, you still have to take the elevator and walk everywhere)! Oh, and there are some soldiers practicing their moves and telling you to scram, but you can totally walk by them, take an elevator and hear people talk about work on the submarine program and the underwater reactor. Future knowledge enhances those tidbits immensely :allears:.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

President of Space posted:

So, the Sister Ray. I've never quite gotten the joke with that one, or why Scarlet is so dramatic about re-naming it. It doesn't appear to be a pun, or really any sort of wordplay at all. Is it a joke in Japanese? Is there something I'm missing here or is it just another bit of evidence that Scarlet is nuts and I should assume the other Shinra execs are rolling their eyes at her?
It's the title of a Velvet Underground song and that's all I knew

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

They're talking about Breath Of Fire III and IV, not Final Fantasy. I've only played BoF II.

I am apparently an idiot. Oh well. Guess I should have read further into it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Silegna posted:

I am apparently an idiot. Oh well. Guess I should have read further into it.

Don't feel too bad. I thought they were talking about FF at first, too.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

It was better than Palmer's first suggestion of "Lard Laser 4000".

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cangelosi posted:

It was better than Palmer's first suggestion of "Lard Laser 4000".

Engage the Blubber Beam!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

I just assumed she wanted to emphasize the fact that a woman was the one in charge this time.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
There's a possibility that the translation broke down and the exchange was like this:

Rufus: So, this Mako Cannon thing should work?
Scarlet: The cannon was already named the "Sister Ray," so maybe you should call it that?

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

FinalGamer posted:

III is pretty good but IV absolutely excels in every way. The soundtrack is much more varied, the combat is a little more developed, the story is VERY well-written and utilises its characters better. IV also does not have the Desert of Death despite the fact it STARTS in a desert so that's also a big plus.

I mean I love BoFIII a LOT don't get me wrong, but there are some parts of that game that do frustrate the hell out of me compared to IV. Don't wanna derail this so just gonna end on saying, it is the best Breath of Fire game you could ever play.

Since I don't remember much about how it plays: Is BoF4... faster than BoF3? I don't mean the pacing of the plot or anything, I mean that I started playing 3 on the PSP a while ago and really wanted to like it - it's kind of charming, and while I wouldn't use any superlatives to describe it, it's not a bad game per se - and the speed of battles just really put me off. Long animations, completely unnecessary pauses between attack animations and the damage display, etc. I don't mind random battles or high encounter rates, but getting through single battles just takes so drat long.

BoF3 seems to be one of these games that try my patience with lots of small bad design deciscions that ruin an otherwise solid experience. Like how it gives you two mentors early on and then railroads you through several dungeons without allowing backtracking so you can't actually use the mentor feature it just introduced for a long-rear end time during which several characters are introduced. Oh, and of course there are event triggers long after the last save opportunity that will automatically move the story along even if you haven't explored the rest of the current dungeon.

So I guess what I'm asking is: Does BoF4 handle these things any better? All I really recall from it are that you switch viewpoints from time to time and that the character animations are amazing.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're a fan of BoF IV there's a translation of the manga which is basically a serialization of the story here. I think BoF I-IV all had a serialization, but considering IV is the one that actually has an incredible story I'm guessing that's why it's the only one with an English scanlation.

About the pace of BoF IV, if I remember correctly the combat is even slower than III. I absolutely loved the game the first time I played through it, but it's such a huge time commitment I know I'm never going to revisit it.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 29, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I still have both Final Fantasy VII and Breath of Fire IV original discs lying around, don't think they're in the best condition anymore though.

Suikoden II as well, I remember not having any idea what it was about when I found it in a used games shop as a kid but it ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Kanfy posted:

I still have both Final Fantasy VII and Breath of Fire IV original discs lying around, don't think they're in the best condition anymore though.

Suikoden II as well, I remember not having any idea what it was about when I found it in a used games shop as a kid but it ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

I actually beat FF7 for the first time on disk, a year or so ago, then my dog found the discs. I found the Breath of Fire IV disc in my closet, and wondered, "When the hell did I get this, and where the hell did it come from?"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Are we talking about ruined Breath of Fire and FFVII discs? Because when my cousin was still just an adventurous baby he somehow found my games and managed to snap disc two of FFVII and my BoFIII disc.

You have any idea how lovely it is to get to Aeris dying and have that be the end of the game for you?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Phantasium posted:

You have any idea how lovely it is to get to Aeris dying and have that be the end of the game for you?

So basically Sephiroth wins and is a badass? Sounds like the collective wet dreams of Gamefaqs posters from 1999-2004

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Phantasium posted:

Edit: kinda spoilers for the first 5 minutes of Chrono Cross below I guess.

Probably as bad as watching Kid get stabbed 5 times before realizing the 3-day-old Chrono Cross disc was DOA when it freezes on Serge's bloody dagger each time after fighting Lynx.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 30, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I've mentioned this before, but the original PC release of FF7 had a bug where the game would crash during the cinematic where the weapons are released. The official solution on Square's website was to shrug and upload a save game for immediately after that cinematic. FF7's release was also the time when my older brother decided he REALLY like to gently caress around with computers and so formatted our hard drive once every few days without backing anything up. I played through Midgar so many times that my playthrough of that part of the game looked exactly like modern world record speedruns.

I guess it isn't entirely terrible that the end of my game was the bike sequence.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Rushputin posted:

Since I don't remember much about how it plays: Is BoF4... faster than BoF3? I don't mean the pacing of the plot or anything, I mean that I started playing 3 on the PSP a while ago and really wanted to like it - it's kind of charming, and while I wouldn't use any superlatives to describe it, it's not a bad game per se - and the speed of battles just really put me off. Long animations, completely unnecessary pauses between attack animations and the damage display, etc. I don't mind random battles or high encounter rates, but getting through single battles just takes so drat long.

BoF3 seems to be one of these games that try my patience with lots of small bad design deciscions that ruin an otherwise solid experience. Like how it gives you two mentors early on and then railroads you through several dungeons without allowing backtracking so you can't actually use the mentor feature it just introduced for a long-rear end time during which several characters are introduced. Oh, and of course there are event triggers long after the last save opportunity that will automatically move the story along even if you haven't explored the rest of the current dungeon.

So I guess what I'm asking is: Does BoF4 handle these things any better? All I really recall from it are that you switch viewpoints from time to time and that the character animations are amazing.
The PSP version is a lot slower because for some reason it takes a lot longer to load battles compared to the PS1 original. I don't know why but PSP always seems to load really slowly compared to well, a PS1 does. I'm sure some tech-head on here knows it a lot better than I do.

BoFIII is one of those games I agree, it's a really good experience but it has a lot of weird and not-good design decisions that kinda mar it eventually. At some point you're just finishing the game because you don't HATE it but you kind of wanna get finished with it anyway.

BoFIV however is much more polished, the story moves faster from my memory, I cannot quite remember if battles took longer or not but considering they were the same amount of time as BoFIII was on the PS1, then yes they are faster definitely moreso than the PSP version ever was. I remember having a lot less troubles in backtracking and screwing about with weird decisions compared to BoFIII, because the way the story works in BoFIV kind of prevents that to a certain extent.
It has been a long time but I definitely recommend it due to being an overall better game in terms of design. There's definitely no long-rear end segment preventing use of mentors when you suddenly get loaded up with a bunch of them, least not as bad as I recall, I DO remember being able to backtrack to older areas a lot more easily than in BoFIII.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

The PSP version is a lot slower because for some reason it takes a lot longer to load battles compared to the PS1 original. I don't know why but PSP always seems to load really slowly compared to well, a PS1 does. I'm sure some tech-head on here knows it a lot better than I do.

There's actually a very simple answer: UMDs were a loving terrible format. The PSP legitimately has a great library but the system was completely hamstrung by tons of hardware issues.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Frocobo posted:

There's actually a very simple answer: UMDs were a loving terrible format. The PSP legitimately has a great library but the system was completely hamstrung by tons of hardware issues.

Which is Why the more recent PSP games had Data Install, which was basically the same thing as installing a disc on a 360. Gotta boot the game using the disk, but it runs entirely off the system now, not the UMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

keithy george posted:

It's the title of a Velvet Underground song and that's all I knew
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Ray
It's a song about a homosexual transvestite. I feel as though this raises questions about Scarlet.

• Locked thread