Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

WickedHate posted:

Killing hordes of Koreans isn't really excused just because there isn't any civilians there. Even if it's justifiable in universe the author is the one creating the situation where helpless foreigners are slaughtered time and time again, military or not.

Had to double check the user name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Had to double check the user name.

This thread is proof that tone arguments are dumb and that making fun of dumb attitudes can, in fact, sometimes make the people with said attitudes realize they're wrong and change the way they think.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I mean ol' Tatsuya could just as easily disintegrate all their guns and transports, but then Satou wouldn't get to jack off over his main character slaughtering untermensch.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

WickedHate posted:

Killing hordes of Koreans isn't really excused just because there isn't any civilians there. Even if it's justifiable in universe the author is the one creating the situation where helpless foreigners are slaughtered time and time again, military or not.

But you were perfectly okay with it for like 27 pages when we were talking about him killing tons of Chinese people?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

This thread is proof that tone arguments are dumb and that making fun of dumb attitudes can, in fact, sometimes make the people with said attitudes realize they're wrong and change the way they think.

Nah, it was explicit examples of it's badness and being shown the faults obvious in the anime will never get better.

Desuwa posted:

But you were perfectly okay with it for like 27 pages when we were talking about him killing tons of Chinese people?

Killing bad guys that happen to be [race] is different then pressing the mass murder button for no good reason multiple times.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 27, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Killing bad guys that happen to be [race] is different then pressing the mass murder button for no good reason multiple times.

No, it's actually also pretty awful if literally every one of those bad guys is either said race or a sympathizer with said race.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

No, it's actually also pretty awful if literally every one of those bad guys is either said race or a sympathizer with said race.

Sure, if it was something like western story and the protagonist's enemies were inexplicably black, but when a homogeneous nation is the enemy it's harder to diversify the bad guys.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Believe it or not but a story about white americans vs black africans is equally bad to a story about Japan vs a supernation made up of all the other east asian nations led from China.

The author doesn't specifically name china because that leaves him open to legal action, however in his universe China conquered the whole of east asia except Japan so it is still pretty much China.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hate the show now so there's not really any point in doing this same conversation over and over again.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I hate the show now so there's not really any point in doing this same conversation over and over again.

I feel the need to teach you what nationalism is because at the moment your hatred of the show is based on a childlike hatred of tatsuya's morality as opposed to actual adult reasons.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Phobophilia posted:

You are a literal child.

Not much has changed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Namtab posted:

I feel the need to teach you what nationalism is because at the moment your hatred of the show is based on a childlike hatred of tatsuya's morality as opposed to actual adult reasons.

And the stagnant, flat nature of all the characters and their relationships.

But also the nationalism. I was just explaining how I saw it previously vs now where it's very clear the author enjoys the protagonist mass murdering non-Japanese people.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

do you think the people calling the author a nationalist nutjob early on were oddly prescient or just making lucky guesses

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

do you think the people calling the author a nationalist nutjob early on were oddly prescient or just making lucky guesses

It was based on the books, so neither.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, I had no knowledge of the books but I sure as heck said those sorts of things as they came up in the show, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. It wears its messages on its sleeves.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think episode 11 is gonna be my waterloo folks.

I've tried maybe five or six times since it came out and I just can't get through the loving thing. Dear God how do you take the concept of magic olympics and make it the most visually boring thing since mold.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Harime Nui posted:

I think episode 11 is gonna be my waterloo folks.

I've tried maybe five or six times since it came out and I just can't get through the loving thing. Dear God how do you take the concept of magic olympics and make it the most visually boring thing since mold.

Just walk away proud you've watched this far. I've long since stopped watching. It is impressive how this series is simultaneously terrible and dull as gently caress at the same time.

Namtab's excerpts from the books are great though, don't stop with those.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We're lucky Namtab is such an intellectual masochist.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Don't force yourself my friend, animes should be savored and enjoyed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, no way in hell I would go through that the effort of rereading and posting excerpts, so Namtab's kind of obsession is appreciated. I'm perfectly content making jokes that only I find amusing and largely incoherent diatribes whenever I can't sleep.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

On another note, I am starting to understand why this show looks so good; they never have to animate any action what-so-loving-ever. Most of it is just people talking and giving boring exposition.

So I wonder if that's the show's secret sauce: get a talky nationalistic anime, make it cheap as possible, throw in virgin sister lust and serve. There's just no substance to be found here. And minimal amounts of style if I'm being perfectly honest.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SSNeoman posted:

On another note, I am starting to understand why this show looks so good; they never have to animate any action what-so-loving-ever. Most of it is just people talking and giving boring exposition.

So I wonder if that's the show's secret sauce: get a talky nationalistic anime, make it cheap as possible, throw in virgin sister lust and serve. There's just no substance to be found here. And minimal amounts of style if I'm being perfectly honest.

The RoI must be killer.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even the talking is handled fairly cheaply. You don't have to make people sitting around talking dull. In fact, there are plenty of examples where that is far from the case! You can and should strive to be visually interesting even with that sort of thing, but Madhouse just doesn't give a poo poo here.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It feels like the author might not even have been thinking of otaku pandering when they made Miyuki. Nothing's done with the crush. It could actually be an interesting aspect of the show if it was analyzed in any detail or actually dealt with in some way, but it's just an excuse for Tatsuya to be praised in every single scene without Miyuki having any other depth or reason for existing. Miyuki's sole purpose is as a cheerleader, and her crush won't ever get resolved so she can continue cheerleading till the end of time.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Holy poo poo how can you be still deluded enough to think that it is not intentional pandering.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dude's a scummy racist right wing nationalist who either gets his rocks off to incest or knows that incest is another thing on the otaku checklist to include. It is absolutely pandering either way.

The fact that it doesn't go anywhere (except for, well, all that fanservice) is just more evidence that it is only around for pandering!

Srice fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 28, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chickenfrogman posted:

Holy poo poo how can you be still deluded enough to think that it is not intentional pandering.

I never said it wasn't before, even when I liked it. If it is or isn't doesn't change what a poorly handled element of the story it is, I'm just theorizing about what the author intended Miyuki's role to be when she was first created. I'm not defending anything.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 28, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

It feels like the author might not even have been thinking of otaku pandering when they made Miyuki. Nothing's done with the crush. It could actually be an interesting aspect of the show if it was analyzed in any detail or actually dealt with in some way, but it's just an excuse for Tatsuya to be praised in every single scene without Miyuki having any other depth or reason for existing. Miyuki's sole purpose is as a cheerleader, and her crush won't ever get resolved so she can continue cheerleading till the end of time.

Yeah what Mahouka needs is development of the incest subplot

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I never said it wasn't before, even when I liked it. If it is or isn't doesn't change what a poorly handled element of the story it is, I'm just theorizing about what the author intended Miyuki's role to be when she was first created. I'm not defending anything.

The author intended her role to be exactly what it is. He succeeded at making his otaku pandering character, which is what he set out to do. The only reason that they're not actually loving is that making it 18+ would cut out his prime demographic, dumb teens who don't realize how stupid everything is.

I do not understand why you find this hard to understand.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Desuwa posted:

I do not understand why you find this hard to understand.

I'm just saying the crush aspect could be second to her being the protagonist's main character biggest fan in general and just an extension of that. I guess I just don't understand why someone this would be pandering to would like it at all. Even by that standard it's so shallow.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i want to frame every single one of your posts and hang them on the wall

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ahahaha, oh my god. That was the most amazing scene thus far. After Miyuki's (deathly dull) dance-off, there was a scene that consisted entirely of panning over stills, while girls gushed over how amazing the match was. However, all of the girls who were talking about how great Miyuki is were swarming around Tatsuya while Miyuki was standing well away from the group. Obviously, the subject of the conversation quickly switched to how Tatsuya is more god than man while those who scorned him seethed impotently, ignored by every girl in the room. It was probably just so they didn't have to animate a a change in scene for when they stopped talking about Miyuki and started talking about Tatsuya, but it was still inadvertently hilarious.

Also, I'm not really all that knowledgeable about gambling, but don't the majority of people bet on the favorite to win anyway? I thought it was balanced by such bets giving lower payouts. Why on earth would a yearly sporting event where there was a likely but not guaranteed victor cause ruinous losses for bookies? Wouldn't that exact same situation happen every year they handled bets for the (deathly dull) magic high school olympics? Oh, and nice job making the villainous chinese gangsters literally faceless.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ahahaha, oh my god. That was the most amazing scene thus far. After Miyuki's (deathly dull) dance-off, there was a scene that consisted entirely of panning over stills, while girls gushed over how amazing the match was. However, all of the girls who were talking about how great Miyuki is were swarming around Tatsuya while Miyuki was standing well away from the group. Obviously, the subject of the conversation quickly switched to how Tatsuya is more god than man while those who scorned him seethed impotently, ignored by every girl in the room. It was probably just so they didn't have to animate a a change in scene for when they stopped talking about Miyuki and started talking about Tatsuya, but it was still inadvertently hilarious.

Also, I'm not really all that knowledgeable about gambling, but don't the majority of people bet on the favorite to win anyway? I thought it was balanced by such bets giving lower payouts. Why on earth would a yearly sporting event where there was a likely but not guaranteed victor cause ruinous losses for bookies? Wouldn't that exact same situation happen every year they handled bets for the (deathly dull) magic high school olympics? Oh, and nice job making the villainous chinese gangsters literally faceless.

I think the ruinous losses come form the fact that... (wait if they are the bookies can they bet against themselves? Like bet on 3rd high and reap in money? but its probably a zero sum game)

So yeah now that I think about it doesn't make sense unless there's another party they're betting to and they (the chinese) decided to bet on 3rd high winning by sabotaging the other schools.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Well, this series is Tatsuya being looked down on by everyone, so I assume that the payout of his team winning everything are so high it would wipe them out.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Monocled Falcon posted:

Well, this series is Tatsuya being looked down on by everyone, so I assume that the payout of his team winning everything are so high it would wipe them out.

But the bookie would consequently put very low odds since everyone knows that 1st high would win. Unless the bookie was really retarded

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The whole thing is just badly written into a position where bad guys will want to attack the heroes even if it doesn't really make sense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Chillyrabbit posted:

I think the ruinous losses come form the fact that... (wait if they are the bookies can they bet against themselves? Like bet on 3rd high and reap in money? but its probably a zero sum game)

So yeah now that I think about it doesn't make sense unless there's another party they're betting to and they (the chinese) decided to bet on 3rd high winning by sabotaging the other schools.

There are actually several different ways that the scenario could be made to make sense. The gangsters could be trying to fix the match for a big payoff, or else first high could have been a dark horse which received an unexpected number of bets and only seemed likely to win after the bets were made. However, they explicitly said that wasn't the case. First high was expected to win, then they started to win. Now, the gangsters have to sabotage high school sporting events held on a military base (on which the only soldiers to appear were incognito) in order to save their own lives. I've got to admit, I don't really value first high's victory in a sports meet over human lives.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Oh, right I forgot that Tatsuya was actually going to the super duper elite school. I figured that everybody, in the face of all rational evidence would underestimate him and be dazzled by him shattering records and stuff.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Sister incest in mainstream anime seems to have been started in 2010 by OreImo, and since then has become way more prevalent. SAO had it, and while looking on Wikipedia for examples I discovered this gem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Japanese_media_about_little_sisters

And I'm out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

Sister incest in mainstream anime seems to have been started in 2010 by OreImo, and since then has become way more prevalent. SAO had it, and while looking on Wikipedia for examples I discovered this gem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Japanese_media_about_little_sisters

And I'm out.

No, yeah, I know it's a "thing" in anime. I could have sworn Oreimo was more recent though, and I didn't know SAO had it.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 29, 2014

• Locked thread