Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What about UFO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I rarely recommend live albums, but Strangers in the Night gives a good overview of their peak and has some amazing guitar playing. But really, you can't go wrong with any of their Schenker-era albums. I personally like Force It the most.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So it's been a long time coming, but I wanna start listening to Radiohead. Where do I start, goons?

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Stalins Moustache posted:

So it's been a long time coming, but I wanna start listening to Radiohead. Where do I start, goons?

The Bends, then onwards. Pablo Honey is pretty lovely, and their later albums aren't too great either.

Lunatics key
Mar 17, 2014

where should I start with The Meteors and The Cramps ? I have A Date with Elvis, but what else of theirs is good ? Don't have anything by The Meteors but they seem interesting,

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Skip Pablo Honey and Amnesiac, at least try all the others. Personally, I think OK Computer and In Rainbows are two of the most perfect albums ever recorded.

My own question, I was gonna grab some of the new Guided By Voices albums, the ones since they reunited, but there's like 5 or 6 of them now and they're all 15 bucks on Amazon. Which should I grab first, based on how much of it they've been playing live and just how good they are? Or does anyone know a cheaper place to grab them?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Not to start a huge thing, because I don't really listen to Radiohead anymore, but don't skip Amnesiac. It's tracks left off Kid A for not conforming to its theme or whatever, but it contains some really strange and dark and creepy and wonderful tracks.

No one is going to defend Pablo Honey, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zesty Mordant posted:

Not to start a huge thing, because I don't really listen to Radiohead anymore, but don't skip Amnesiac. It's tracks left off Kid A for not conforming to its theme or whatever, but it contains some really strange and dark and creepy and wonderful tracks.

Pablo Honey is more enjoyable to me than The King Of Limbs. There, I said it :colbert:

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I'll throw in my two cents and say listen to Kid A first. Then OK Computer and Amnesiac. If you've made it that far, your fate awaits you at In Rainbows.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Zesty Mordant posted:

I agree that this is not the album to start with if you're new to the band, but it's worth listening to if you like Radiohead. It shares much of what made The Bends so outstanding: the arpeggiated mixed with the crunchy, Ed's articulate guitar, Johnny's soundscaping, desperate lyrics over a deceptively upbeat melody. It's all there.

A handful of the songs find them still searching for their sound, and the end result is generic British rock. Another chunk are solid if unremarkable. But four tracks--"Creep," "Prove Yourself," "Lurgee," and "Blow Out"--are fantastic. Listen to them now and you'll hear "The Bends" and even a little bit of OK Computer in the songs.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Pablo Honey is more enjoyable to me than The King Of Limbs. There, I said it.

I agree completely.

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

Lunatics key posted:

where should I start with The Meteors and The Cramps ? I have A Date with Elvis, but what else of theirs is good ? Don't have anything by The Meteors but they seem interesting,

I would definitely say that you should start chronologically with the Meteors. Start with In heaven, Wrecking crew and Stampede, those are my favorites. I also like some later albums and you should definitely check them out ,but I think these are the most important ones. Also you shouldn't ignore P Paul Fenech's solo stuff. He has some really good songs on his solo albums.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Where should I start with 35007? I just heard the piece Crystalline and really liked their style, speaking as a 70s prog/kraut nerd.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
It's been asked on the last page but, i'd also like to echo wanting to start somewhere with Acid Mothers Temple. Any colossal duds to avoid or should I just dive in wherever, aye?

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Where do I start with Envy? The Japanese post-hardcore/post-rock band, to be clear.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
All The Footprints You've Ever Left... is a good starting point.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Rubber Biscuit posted:

It's been asked on the last page but, i'd also like to echo wanting to start somewhere with Acid Mothers Temple. Any colossal duds to avoid or should I just dive in wherever, aye?

Go see them live is the real answer here. If not that, then Pink Lady Lemonade - You're From Outerspace which is a Cosmic Inferno release. Most of their releases have just terrible production quality.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Gregorian chant?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The compilation album Tonsures Rock is probably the most logical starting place

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What album should I start with with Mazzy Star? Also open to other recommendations if I like the couple songs by them I heard.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

alnilam posted:

What album should I start with with Mazzy Star? Also open to other recommendations if I like the couple songs by them I heard.

So Tonight That I Might See for sure, it contains their biggest 'hit', Fade Into You and is just generally an all-round great album. From there, i'd say spread out chronologically if it grabs you. Their most recent album, post-hiatus, is well worth a look-in.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
Where do I start with Jonathan Richman / Modern Lovers?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Yellow Magic Orchestra?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Red Ryder posted:

Where do I start with Jonathan Richman / Modern Lovers?

I'm probably not the best person to answer since I only know the first album. But I do really love that album and it's made me want to hear more so I'd say that's a good place to start. I think that's the classic one that everyone knows, anyway.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've only just started getting into Richman/Lovers myself, but I've had the early-90s "I, Jonathan" album practically on repeat lately. Classic.

As far as YMO goes, it's reasonable to start with the first full-length and go chronologically. There's also several concert films they put out that are pretty killer. They're worth exploring live, since they had a tendency to mess with arrangements at times.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

quadrophrenic posted:

Yellow Magic Orchestra?

You really can't go wrong, but you may want to avoid the albums with comedy sketches - Xoo Multiplies and Service. I would start with Solid State Survivor, which would probably be the most familiar to fans of other kind of technopop (such as Kraftwerk). But all their main albums - the s/t, SSS, BGM, Technodelic, and Naughty Boys - are essential.

Now when you want to explore their solo careers, let me know... :D

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
But don't miss the track Nice Age off of Xoo Multiplies. Otherwise, I agree. The American release of that album is more of a compilation with SSS, so there will be redundancies.

Find the Greek Theater 1979 videos for some of the best versions of some of their songs.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Any advice on what album(s) to start with for Thee Oh Sees. I've seen them live a few times and, while a lot of people have told me their albums are inferior to their lives shows, I'm in the mood to finally check out an album or two. If it matters, I couldn't tell you a single song I remember by name from their shows.

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

alnilam posted:

Where should I start with 35007? I just heard the piece Crystalline and really liked their style, speaking as a 70s prog/kraut nerd.

All of them!!

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I like newer fashioned bounce music, Big Freedia and Sissy Nobby. Stuff that's more frenetic, layered and repetitive, and less verse/ chorus/ verse than the older bounce style from the 90s and early 2000s.

What should I start checking out asides from those two artists?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

I like newer fashioned bounce music, Big Freedia and Sissy Nobby. Stuff that's more frenetic, layered and repetitive, and less verse/ chorus/ verse than the older bounce style from the 90s and early 2000s.

What should I start checking out asides from those two artists?

Nicky Da B and Katey Red are worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ZeYslcGNg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3333_3r0Jwk

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Voodoofly posted:

Any advice on what album(s) to start with for Thee Oh Sees. I've seen them live a few times and, while a lot of people have told me their albums are inferior to their lives shows, I'm in the mood to finally check out an album or two. If it matters, I couldn't tell you a single song I remember by name from their shows.

I've started digging into them myself recently and I've found that anything from The Master's Bedroom Is Worth Spending a Night In going forward is way more accessible than the earlier stuff, and it's all fantastic. Start there and work your way chronologically, you shan't be disappointed.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
I've finally started burning through the Boredoms back catalogue, but where's best to start with OOIOO?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Rubber Biscuit posted:

I've finally started burning through the Boredoms back catalogue, but where's best to start with OOIOO?

Everything they've done is more or less great but Kila Kila Kila is probably my fav.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I started with Taiga and that's a good album for scratching that Super Ae itch.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Taiga is also my suggestion, but also the song Umo has an amazing video

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Epi Lepi posted:

My own question, I was gonna grab some of the new Guided By Voices albums, the ones since they reunited, but there's like 5 or 6 of them now and they're all 15 bucks on Amazon. Which should I grab first, based on how much of it they've been playing live and just how good they are? Or does anyone know a cheaper place to grab them?

GBV are one of those bands where fans never agree, but if I had to rank them, I'd go with the following order:

The Bears For Lunch - I think this is the most solid album overall. Lots of good songs on here, and as an added bonus a great Tobin Sprout song too ("Waving at Airplanes").

Motivational Jumpsuit - another solid album overall,this time with even more contributions from Tobin Sprout. Don't get me wrong, when I listen to GBV it's really for the Pollard stuff, but having Sprout contribute seems to thin out Pollard's contributions so they improve each other because you get the best from both of them. That's my perception at least.

Cool Planet - Good but not great in my opinion.

English Little League - I love the leadoff track ("Xeno Pariah") but this album sounds to me like they were just releasing stuff because they could instead of that they should.

Let's Go Eat The Factory - Great moments ("Unsinkable Fats Domino" is classic GBV) but as an album proper it is weak.

Class Clown Spots A UFO - this sounds like the demos that didn't make the cut for the first reunion album. Lots of songs at around the 1 minute mark. The title track is pretty great though, and it's actually one of the more interesting recent releases. I just wouldn't be in a rush to grab it over any of the others.

NOTE: bad GBV is better than most albums released by other bands in my opinion.

I hope this helps a bit. I don't know which albums they are favouring live, sorry. It's GBV though, it might just be whatever they can play easiest while being the drunkest.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Where should I start with Sloan?

The only songs I'm familiar with are "If It Feels Good Do It", "The Other Man" and some other one that recently came out, but I like what I've heard so far.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Psycho Mantits posted:

Where should I start with The Meads of Asphodel? I see on Metal-Archives they're compared pretty favorably with Sigh (who I love) so I'd like to check them out, but they've got a bunch of albums and all of them seem to be held equally in high regard.

Nobody seems to have responded to you so I will. The earlier albums up to Damascus Steel are ok, particularly if you like their sort of punk influenced style of black metal, but The Murder Of Jesus the Jew is where they really come into their own. imo you should start with that one and then you can go backward to check out their earlier stuff if you want. Sonderkommando is good and continues the style from Murder but as it's about the holocaust it's not a pleasant listening experience by any means, so I definitely wouldn't begin there.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'm looking for some new Jazz suggestions.

I'd say my two favorite albums right now are Saxophone Colossus (Sonny Rollins) and Blues and Roots (Mingus). I really like how these albums combine a jazz soloing and composition sensibility, memorable melodies and the feel and rhythms of other styles (calypso and blues). Any suggestions for albums to follow these up? I have a pretty big collection of Mingus already. I also really love Mingus Plays Piano and Monk Alone. Any other good solo piano albums I should definitely be checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm looking for some new Jazz suggestions.

I really like how these albums combine a jazz soloing and composition sensibility, memorable melodies and the feel and rhythms of other styles (calypso and blues).

Hmm, maybe Brubecks Time Out? It is a good album, considered a classic and he did some new stuff with jazz at the time, different time signatures, inspiration from other genres. not to heavy on the solos, but more conserned with the general feel of the songs.
Otherwise im a fan of Coltrane, but i dont know if that is what you are looking after.