Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Really we only need to worry about him not being advertised for shows after Summerslam, as that seems like it will be the longest likely projection for his return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Well so far* I've got bad news for you son...

(*again: subject to change--but he wasn't booked for SS nor was he after a couple shows I looked at).

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

cunny mcalister posted:

Other idiots trying to be cool will use memes to poorly mock you?

Harsh!!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I 100% agree and actually believe it may happen with how so many guys are being built up and protected in their own ways right now. HHH effect, maybe? Seriously, think about it. Rollins, Reigns, Ambrose, and Cesaro off the top of my head all seem to be being built concurrently. Wyatt too if you wanted to be generous. Barrett if you wanted to be majorly generous (Swagger :argh:).
The major difference I see here is that they still don't seem to be interested in protecting most of them from losing. Ambrose just ate a pin on Smackdown after a minor distraction from Rollins. Wyatt can get pinned any time and so can Barrett. I think Cesaro's been pinned in tag matches as well. Right now they're protecting Reigns, to a lesser extent Rollins, and that's about it. Of those guys, clean losses are well within possibility for anyone but Reigns right now. I don't remember who actually researched this but someone said Reigns was only pinned twice in his entire run with The Shield.

Another Person posted:

They have more than one GUY. John Cena, Bryan, Randy Orton, HHH, they had Batista who could always come back, Lesnar is technically the GUYest of GUYS, theoretically Sheamus would be one, now they have Reigns too. In the next couple years, Reigns will be 100% GUY, as will Rollins, possibly Ambrose (who should be), and Bray. The first list are conceivably people you could give the belt to at any time. The second is guys that once the time has come, you could give the belt to safely. Orton, Cena, HHH and Lesnar aren't going anywhere, Bryan, injury dependent, won't be either. Sheamus might fade away.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I mean in terms of TOP guys who they trust to carry the company like Cena and Orton. Nobody recent other than those two has been saddled with a title run made to look strong and invincible the way Attitude Era champions were. In my mind there are two tiers: Cena level (which is what several guys were in the late 90s/early 00s) where you get fully protected and get major angles behind you no matter what, and Jericho level (either untested or not homegrown by WWE) where you're usually not nearly as strongly booked/protected so as to be considered a mainstay of the main event. Most of the guys you mentioned are the latter but likely won't become the former unless they shift their mentality back toward building a ton of guys at once to be credible threats to the title. I think if he returns 100%, Bryan will be protected and have some solid championship runs in his future, but he's always had to scratch and claw for his position where others were handed it. That's what I'm talking about when I say THE GUY.

I blame the days of Brock and Lashley taking off, because WWE were reluctant to put a lot of stake into new main eventers for years after that. Even Punk's reigns were either mishandled or never really booked above Cena. Punk had the longest reign in 25 years, but he was rarely booked above or even apart from guys they already had the utmost faith in. I think the only new-ish main eventer who broke that mold from late 00s to present time was Edge, and even he got one-month reigns all over the place.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cunny mcalister posted:

You sound like someone owned by memes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

Oh I know card subject to change (obviously it changed to remove DB from my local show). Just sayin'.

They DO, however, seem to be plastering Ambrose/Rollins/Reigns, the Wyatts, Kane, and Seamus like everywhere.

I'm sorry, I don't recognise this Superstar. Do you maybe mean THE DEMON KANE?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

MassRafTer posted:

Potential bad news for you friend:

That's some TNA level artwork there.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
But it would be probably the most successful tertiary PPV ever.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also a complete waste in reintroducing Punk.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

For numbers sake, there were 14 PPVs while CM Punk was champion. Punk sat out one due to injury.

Of the 13 he appeared at, Punk was in the main event 5 times, 2 times involving Cena and 1 time with the Rock at the RR.

Of the 8 PPVs Punk was not the main event, John Cena was in the main event 6 times. The others were the Royal Rumble match and HHH/Lesnar.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

cunny mcalister posted:

Greetings Shield Stalker.

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp
Bryan was set to be the biggest star since John Cena (and possibly the big two) before his neck gave out. The sad fact is he might never (nor anyone in the foreseeable future) have that momentum again. I just keep playing this out in my mind without attaching blame or having any subjective opinions. The truth is he was on his way to something we haven't seen in a decade and his body just gave out at the worst possible time.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

crackage posted:

Bryan was set to be the biggest star since John Cena (and possibly the big two) before his neck gave out. The sad fact is he might never (nor anyone in the foreseeable future) have that momentum again. I just keep playing this out in my mind without attaching blame or having any subjective opinions. The truth is he was on his way to something we haven't seen in a decade and his body just gave out at the worst possible time.

that kane feud was not doing him any favors.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if daniel bryan had heart is neck would be fine now and he'd be eating spears from the top of a ladder

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yeah the Kane feud was not helping at all, no doubt. Circumstances have just been horrible for him since Mania, real life or otherwise. He's still over, he's still a made man, but WWE has a track record of not striking when the iron is hot and the Kane feud is proof.

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp
He was going to get past that while the WWE could align the proper opponents for him. He was pretty much planned to beat Brock, the only one nearing his momentum, at the third biggest PPV of the year. Who knows what would've happened if they didn't have to pair him with a super safe worker in Kane because of his injuries. I just have a feeling this will be a huge "what could've been" in the linear history of the WWE.

edit: to expand, the WWE had plenty of steam behind DB to put him in a holding pattern with Kane. Was it because they knew he was injured? Who knows. But you can tell they were planning a slow burn title run like the way you take on a Mega Man game. Blaming the Kane fued is pretty apologist-esque and short-sighted. Whatever though because we'll never know what would've really blossomed.

crackage fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 29, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

crackage posted:

I just have a feeling this will be a huge "what could've been" in the linear history of the WWE.

A 4-year WWE run with four World Championships and a main event win at Wrestlemania is a hell of a footnote

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

crackage posted:

He was going to get past that while the WWE could align the proper opponents for him. He was pretty much planned to beat Brock, the only one nearing his momentum, at the third biggest PPV of the year. Who knows what would've happened if they didn't have to pair him with a super safe worker in Kane because of his injuries. I just have a feeling this will be a huge "what could've been" in the linear history of the WWE.

edit: to expand, the WWE had plenty of steam behind DB to put him in a holding pattern with Kane. Was it because they knew he was injured? Who knows. But you can tell they were planning a slow burn title run like the way you take on a Mega Man game. Blaming the Kane fued is pretty apologist-esque and short-sighted. Whatever though because we'll never know what would've really blossomed.

How can you tell what they were planning? Everything else they've ever done ever would point towards them not planning anything at all.

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp

EugeneJ posted:

A 4-year WWE run with four World Championships and a main event win at Wrestlemania is a hell of a footnote

I'm thinking the ceiling of somewhere between hulkamania and 3:16. Fans still go nuts with the Yes! chant whenever its possible and it's one of those things that require the lightning to be inside the bottle for as long as possible. People know DB as a fighting (champion) so half of his appeal is already on the shelf. I don't know, ever since the fans chanted for him all night after the 18 second defeat it's been building towards something that no one could put a ceiling on...and luck just wasn't on his side.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
"Chris Nowinski is walking amongst the crowd outside the TD Garden for MitB"

Who narked on Money In The Bank?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

crackage posted:

I'm thinking the ceiling of somewhere between hulkamania and 3:16. Fans still go nuts with the Yes! chant whenever its possible and it's one of those things that require the lightning to be inside the bottle for as long as possible. People know DB as a fighting (champion) so half of his appeal is already on the shelf. I don't know, ever since the fans chanted for him all night after the 18 second defeat it's been building towards something that no one could put a ceiling on...and luck just wasn't on his side.

absoluetly no way lol

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

crackage posted:

I think RVD is the best comparison.

Long-overdue push, amazing crowd support, clean win over Cena, time on top cut short.

Nowhere near Hogan and Austin.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
he's basically Ricky Steamboat which is probably fine all things considered

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

crackage posted:

hulk hogan and steve austin were both the right guys at the right place at the right time with the right push and they both carried the business to previously unseen heights of popularity. bryan was never going to do that.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

he's basically Ricky Steamboat which is probably fine all things considered

So he's going to have three 5* matches in a row with WWE Champion John Cena?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
He's become a much bigger star than anyone ever expected to, won four world championships, and main evented Wrestlemania. There's only a select few that have done that. No one ever expected that when got signed to WWE. I went back and read the Observer when he was signed. It basically says "I don't think he'll be given the chance to become a big star, but it's always possible if given the opportunity."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rovert posted:

"Chris Nowinski is walking amongst the crowd outside the TD Garden for MitB"

Who narked on Money In The Bank?

Not surprising he'd be there, he's from Boston and loves attention.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Maybe dude just wants to go to a wrestling show and is not going to brutally attack it with concussion rays or whatever.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

crackage posted:

what the hell?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
For those wondering and don't follow the NXT thread, Corey Graves has silently retired after suffering multiple concussions in a row recently. WWE's apparently moved him into some backstage role.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He was the one who looked like what WWE probably WISH Punk looked like, right?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Not surprising he'd be there, he's from Boston and loves attention.

He is Nigel McGuinness with a Degree.

Ruining everyone's fun.

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp

Cardboard Box posted:

hulk hogan and steve austin were both the right guys at the right place at the right time with the right push and they both carried the business to previously unseen heights of popularity. bryan was never going to do that.

None of their runs remind you of DBs RtWM run? You basically described everything he got to do besides a chance to carry the business. I don't get how you guys can't see this.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KungFu Grip posted:

For those wondering and don't follow the NXT thread, Corey Graves has silently retired after suffering multiple concussions in a row recently. WWE's apparently moved him into some backstage role.

...Sterling James Keenan has been in developmental for 3 years and I had no idea. That's hilarious.

I'm assuming he never progressed beyond "terrible".

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

KungFu Grip posted:

Full Sail, say hello to your new janitor!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

KungFu Grip posted:

Now I don't have any local wrestlers to make it in the WWE with a good career unless Bruno decides to make one last run which has much better odds than Kurt Angle coming back :smith:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Jon Stewart also backstage

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

KungFu Grip posted:

What do his knuckles say? No, really, he can't remember after those concussions.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rovert posted:

Jon Stewart also backstage

Oh, please let him be the one to announce Barrett's not in the ladder match anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, please let him be the one to announce Barrett's not in the ladder match anymore.

Swerve! He's actually taking Barrett's place.

• Locked thread