Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radlum
May 13, 2013
And a cameo of GRRM and tapdancing Steve Buscemi!

This show is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

radlum posted:

And a cameo of GRRM and tapdancing Steve Buscemi!

This show is amazing.

Taking full advantage of those HBO connections.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ahahaha, I was just watching the Daily Show last week, and they had a T-Shirt cannon, and I thought 'oh man, it happens after John Oliver left! :('

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I know I'm a child but the bugle bits I always find the funniest are the Belgian/waffle bits. It's funny every drat time.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I only just started listing to the Bugle and now it's off for three months, gently caress.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Three months? I thought it was going to be basically every week but holiday weeks!

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

Three months? I thought it was going to be basically every week but holiday weeks!

The Bugle went on break, not the HBO show.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is the show taking a two week break along with Colbert and The Daily Show?

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Jonas Albrecht posted:

According to this it'll be off for the 4th of July weekend, but that's it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It would be absolutely hilarious if they did this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

Now the NSA can legally brand themselves as the "Washington Redskins".

Mr Tiggles or handsome Jose were the superior options

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Oliver gotten two shots in at Mississippi so far

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What the gently caress was that song? :stare:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

untouched by evil :pcgaming: DESIRE :pcgaming:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

The straightest song about rainbows ever. Praise the lord(VOTE 4 ME)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Isn't that the "Eat the popo" Guy?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I... they honestly think there are Gay Training Camps?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

this interview has to be on youtube

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
I had a banana last week. Does that make me gay?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Winkie01 posted:

I had a banana last week. Does that make me gay?

Almost. Did you also have a zucchini/cucumber/or hot dog?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Did he just say they were off for two weeks? GodDAMMIT he's sticking to the Daily Show/Colbert schedule :argh:

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Postal Parcel posted:

Almost. Did you also have a zucchini/cucumber/or hot dog?

No, thank god back to looking at some titties

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

404GoonNotFound posted:

Did he just say they were off for two weeks? GodDAMMIT he's sticking to the Daily Show/Colbert schedule :argh:

No. Off next week, back in two. One week off.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

BigRed0427 posted:

Just checked. It is.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, same guy. Honestly I'm happy he didn't show that particular segment. I've run into people who thought it was funny until they got context. I mean obviously it would have been framed better here, but it's kind of a sore spot for me.

Also Pepe Julian is the loving best.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

A masterpiece.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The humour in this show would be a lot better if Oliver just told the jokes and moved on sometimes instead of trying to do an impression of whatever it is he's joking about. An example from this episode would be the bit about the coffee machines. It was a cute line, but then he follows it up by trying to do an impression of someone trying to use one and it kinda ruins it. Plus those are usually the most shouty bits.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The funny thing is, earlier this week I attended by sister's leaver's mass (Catholic secondary school, its a thing they do), and the presiding priest was from Uganda, specifically because of how his church is twinned with our local one. He's been in the country a few times before, with the last time I saw him personally being at Christmas mass last year. He has an unfortunate tendency to... rant, with long, overly drawn out speeches when he's not sticking to the actual parts of the ceremony, particularly with regards to the role of women in society. Now I realise its not immediately relatable with the issues faced by the LGBT community over there, but listening to him speak, and trying to think of what context his words could particularly make sense in whilst sounding so earnest and progressive (whereas in stopping to think about what he was saying, every part of my family felt more than a little put off), you start to get a picture of just how messed up things can be over there. Like, here we'll point out that a woman should be and is free to wear whatever she feels like so long as it doesn't violate public indecency laws, because yeah, she's her own person and has the right to freely choose her attire, with anyone who then claims they were 'asking for it' in the event of an assault being kind of an rear end in a top hat. But from the way the priest put it, a woman in Uganda has to be extremely considerate of how she dresses because it has a significant chance of keeping her safe - for context, just before he'd gone on the bit about women in the leaver's mass, he had devoted a good chunk of his segment on men to being about good self-restraint. And that's just dealing with gender equality, let alone gay and transsexual rights.

And of course I'm seeing all this as a British person, so yeah, legacy of responsibility and all that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Bown posted:

The humour in this show would be a lot better if Oliver just told the jokes and moved on sometimes instead of trying to do an impression of whatever it is he's joking about. An example from this episode would be the bit about the coffee machines. It was a cute line, but then he follows it up by trying to do an impression of someone trying to use one and it kinda ruins it. Plus those are usually the most shouty bits.

Seems to be just to hammer the point home for an American audience (as :smug: as that sounds...)

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

thehustler posted:

Seems to be just to hammer the point home for an American audience (as :smug: as that sounds...)

We understand spoken humor just fine, especially since we actually spell it correctly.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bown posted:

He seems to play that up on TV or for American audiences, I'm not sure which, since on the Bugle he's a lot more restrained and tends to lean on brutal sarcasm than outright shouting to hammer home a point.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I wonder if the Greeks/(insert everyone else here ever) got uppity about extra/lacking letters when their language started to move along with the times. We just don't remember.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Here's the rest of that interview, by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJkiWwMKwSo

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think the interview bits are my least favorite part of the show. They take up a good block of time and I don't feel like what you see on the show is ever more interesting than the fact that they are doing the interview at all. "Oh neat they are interviewing that person." Until they get more time or an extra show per week I think I would prefer them just telling you about the interview that you can watch online.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Timett posted:

I think the interview bits are my least favorite part of the show. They take up a good block of time and I don't feel like what you see on the show is ever more interesting than the fact that they are doing the interview at all. "Oh neat they are interviewing that person." Until they get more time or an extra show per week I think I would prefer them just telling you about the interview that you can watch online.

I really enjoy the interviews, myself, but I agree that they should give John the time to air them properly.

Definitely seems lovely when one of the most outspoken LGBT rights activists in a place where they have basically none has the meat of their interview shifted to a web exclusive.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 30, 2014

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Woke up this morning saying to myself, "No way in hell am I going to see a break-dancing Abe Lincoln. Hell no."

You've done it again, John.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
GM has recalled another 8.2 million vehicles.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked the coffeemaker joke. :shobon:

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Woke up this morning saying to myself, "No way in hell am I going to see a break-dancing Abe Lincoln. Hell no."

You've done it again, John.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

bobkatt013 posted:

GM has recalled another 8.2 million vehicles.
Don't you mean "Kervorkianesque deathtraps?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Acquilae posted:

untouched by evil :pcgaming: DESIRE :pcgaming:

Scott Lively has unfortunately since made this music video private.

That bastard.

• Locked thread