Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Vrikkian posted:

Have you ever read the Archives/Instruction Manual that came with Homeworld? It is back in the days when PC games came with spiral-bound manuals. I'm a sucker for that poo poo, plus the Remastered one is (ironically enough) remastering their manual... which I'm very curious about. That thing was already dense with a poo poo ton of backstory and lore.

It's my kryptonite.

They'll "remaster" it by turning it into a DVD case insert saying "go to this website to read the full manual", which will be a 4 page PDF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

No Egrets posted:

Spotless 1985 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe. And yes, the headlight does flip up :smuggo:

Hell yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjpEPL_aqh4

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Decline bench off Amazon

A set of Kettlebells

Altitude Training Mask, AKA: "make my runs and hill sprints an even worse living hell"

Time to get tone as gently caress... :colbert:

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

psyopmonkey posted:

Altitude Training Mask, AKA: "make my runs and hill sprints an even worse living hell"

Visit the YLLS exercise and diet megathread to learn all about why you should return that as soon as possible.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

psyopmonkey posted:

hahahajjajajjajahhahahhahahahjjajjahjjahjhahhahhahhHhaha idiot

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He just wants to look like Bane while working out. Leave the poor guy alone.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

Visit the YLLS exercise and diet megathread to learn all about why you should return that as soon as possible.

Besides the aesthetic, (especially in public) why?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Psyopmonkey, we all tend to go a little overboard when we start taking fitness seriously.

here's a helpful video about what your gym gear can say about you

rds
Nov 28, 2004

colas posted:

Besides the aesthetic, (especially in public) why?

You can't simulate altitude, which is where the advantages come from. You're just making it harder to breathe. Altitude training works by increasing hemoglobin, hematocrit, and blood volume after being in that kind of an environment for a while.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

rds posted:

You can't simulate altitude, which is where the advantages come from. You're just making it harder to breathe. Altitude training works by increasing hemoglobin, hematocrit, and blood volume after being in that kind of an environment for a while.

Does making it harder to breathe actually improve anything besides making you miserable? It actually sounds unhealthy rather than beneficial...

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I had Lasik years in the past and these too were my first purchase. Great choice. Just don't drop them, they break easily. RIP Maui Jims. :(

Maui Jim has some awesome repair policies. As long as you keep the pieces (and make sure to keep your receipt) send them in to the company and they'll let you know if there's a cost to repairing, or just send you a new pair.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

psyopmonkey posted:

Never heard of them but 5 minutes of Googling leads to a couple of links to the official site, then a quite sizable list of links about how it's just a gimmicky piece of trash that'll probably make your sessions worse. 80$... Christ almighty

OSTRY KC06

KBC Poker II Compact MX Browns White Backlight

loving Massdrop :argh:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bruxism posted:

Does making it harder to breathe actually improve anything besides making you miserable? It actually sounds unhealthy rather than beneficial...

Well at the upper echelons of physical performance, there is a theory that the thing that separates top athletes isn't physical conditioning, but rather mental toughness and the ability to endure pain. This could feasibly help in that regard, but I highly doubt this guy is in the top 0.01% of athletes to where that would matter at all.

True elevation training does incredible things to your cardiovascular system, but as mentioned, there is no way to simulate that with a gimmicky mask.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If you want to increase your lung capacity for running, start swimming.

Content:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Abbeh posted:

Maui Jim has some awesome repair policies. As long as you keep the pieces (and make sure to keep your receipt) send them in to the company and they'll let you know if there's a cost to repairing, or just send you a new pair.

Don't even need the receipt. I sent in a pair I have had since 07 after the frame just died due to metal fatigue. Cost me around a hundred all said and done for a new frame and them to install my old lenses.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

The failing of the altitude training mask is that while it can simulate the lack of oxygen at higher elevations, a mask isn't going to magically lower the atmospheric pressure as well, which is part of the mechanism by which altitude training is effective.

Content:

I haven't bought them yet but I'm buying a pair of these to hopefully last longer than the year and a bit that I usually get out of my New Balance shoes I always wear

rds
Nov 28, 2004

Bruxism posted:

I'm think (I'm no pulmonary doctor or anything) that it is unhealthy for you. As in, you're only pulling in 80% of the oxygen you normally would, thus lowering your oxygen saturation while you're trying to increase your output. Sounds like a recipe for an embolism to me. People who are normally pulling in less than around 90-ish Oxygen Sat. are typically walking around with oxygen tanks on them.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

rds posted:

I'm think (I'm no pulmonary doctor or anything) that it is unhealthy for you. As in, you're only pulling in 80% of the oxygen you normally would, thus lowering your oxygen saturation while you're trying to increase your output. Sounds like a recipe for an embolism to me. People who are normally pulling in less than around 90-ish Oxygen Sat. are typically walking around with oxygen tanks on them.

It doesnt effect the amount of oxygen. I bought it to strengthen my diaphragm and intercostals.

The most it will do is make your cardio sessions a bit more difficult because you have to work harder to have a complete breath cycle. I got this to simulate when I used to run in my CBRN mask, which dropped my 2mi times by a considerable sum.

But, im just a dumb rear end who buys gimmicks and does zero research into what im buying. :rolleyes:

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

psyopmonkey posted:

It doesnt effect the amount of oxygen. I bought it to strengthen my diaphragm and intercostals.

The most it will do is make your cardio sessions a bit more difficult because you have to work harder to have a complete breath cycle. I got this to simulate when I used to run in my CBRN mask, which dropped my 2mi times by a considerable sum.

But, im just a dumb rear end who buys gimmicks and does zero research into what im buying. :rolleyes:

You should work out in your CBRN mask. People will just think you're a prepper!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

psyopmonkey posted:

Return it and just move next to a trail that goes up 2,800 feet at a 30% incline like I did. Geez, this is like common sense bro

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

leidend posted:

Return it and just move next to a trail that goes up 2,800 feet at a 30% incline like I did. Geez, this is like common sense bro

gently caress you, I have to drive like 4 hours to get that kind of elevation. :(

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Gurf clurbs

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

The Electronaut posted:

Don't even need the receipt. I sent in a pair I have had since 07 after the frame just died due to metal fatigue. Cost me around a hundred all said and done for a new frame and them to install my old lenses.
Thought you typed mental fatigue and briefly wondered what exactly you were putting those poor shades through.

Got this 40% off through the NatGeo site for my dad's birthday. Never known a bigger history buff than him.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

psyopmonkey posted:

Just smoke weed before you workout. My intercostals are swole as gently caress. Girls are constantly commenting on how sexy they look.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

I just vacuumed up my headphones the other day (I'm a dumbass), so thanks for posting these. I wasted too much time reading the head-fi forums looking for something like these and somehow missed the OSTRYs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I had VHS copies of all of the concerts (except Rome) and they were all well played.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I'm going out of town for a week next week, so I bought some entertainment for the trip:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

A bunch of random Disney World merch I found at a flea market and a six pack of this:

It hit the spot so hard. God bless New England.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

leidend posted:

Grouse grind yesssss.

CONTENT: Very, very much against my better financial judgement, I just purchased this glorious thing. Fuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz for days - it's a hot-rodded silicon based version of the Hoof fuzz, which is basically like a Big Muff but meaner and with more low end. This one adds even more gain and a much wider sweep of all the pots for a bigger range of tasty sounds. The one I got is gold graphics on silver (it's the 2nd run of the pedal as opposed to the purple being the first run) and only 50 were made. Here's to being irresponsible.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Jul 1, 2014

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Best $1.68 I ever spent.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Astrofig posted:

Best $1.68 I ever spent.

I played it for 10 minutes and you don't really get to upgrade anything which makes runners slightly less repetitive. Shame, it's a great concept.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I'm going out of town for a week next week, so I bought some entertainment for the trip:

drat, I wish I had a Vita, FFX is one of my favorite games ever.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Astrofig posted:

Best $1.68 I ever spent.

I'm imagining this as just a reskinned version of QWOP. Please tell me I'm right.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Just The Facts posted:

drat, I wish I had a Vita, FFX is one of my favorite games ever.

In case you didn't know, it's also on the PS3.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like no one cared who he was, until he put on the mask.

I'm gonna have to get an eye exam and buy some new glasses. :(

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Sharp things :

Tojiro DP 240mm

Shun Classic 6.5" Nakiri

Shun Classic 3.5" paring

Fujiwara FKM 120mm Petty

Idahone ceramic honing rod

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Incarnate Dao posted:

In case you didn't know, it's also on the PS3.

Holy poo poo. Welp that will soon be a recent purchase.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Mister Kingdom posted:

I had VHS copies of all of the concerts (except Rome) and they were all well played.

I thoroughly expect you to trash anything that is post Gabriel. :colbert:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Xenoletum posted:

I thoroughly expect you to trash anything that is post Gabriel. :colbert:

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009
Got a little something for the 4th of July