Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Yeah, the actors' contract officially expire today, and seeing as how there's no news after Hulu, :rip:

Apparently there's a Harmontown thread, see y'all in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Maybe I don't understand how TV contracts work, but if the contracts expire today, wouldn't they need to be renegotiated regardless of when the show is picked back up? What difference does it make if the show was picked back up yesterday or tomorrow?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Diabolik900 posted:

Maybe I don't understand how TV contracts work, but if the contracts expire today, wouldn't they need to be renegotiated regardless of when the show is picked back up? What difference does it make if the show was picked back up yesterday or tomorrow?

I -guess- its got to do with the cast moving on to new shows/contracts. No point in holding out for something that probably won't happen and not making any money.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spacebump posted:

It's looking more and more like Community is dead. At least it was a good run.

I just hope this doesn't become the new Firefly.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

computer parts posted:

Firefly didn't run for 5 seasons with half of them being kind of crummy. I still hold the opinion that if Firefly went another season it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I saw Firefly because people wouldn't shut up about it. It was ok. Better than average sci-fi series and the movie was good. However I will never tell anyone to watch only because I assume some fan of the show has already told them 12 times. Also, anyone think its odd that they made a documentary about the fan support creating a movie?

I will however recommend Community because I haven't heard super rabid fans talk non-stop about it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

swickles posted:

Also, anyone think its odd that they made a documentary about the fan support creating a movie?

Not at all. The Firefly fandom is one of the most narcissistic and entitled ones out there, even compared to the other terrible personality substitute fandoms.

Firefly fans pitched a fit when Fox C&D'd people who were making bootlegs of official Firefly merchandise because in the fans' eyes it was their show and they had just as much of a right to profit off of it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I think that was a couple lunatics on etsy, which every show has.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Diabolik900 posted:

What difference does it make if the show was picked back up yesterday or tomorrow?

They can say "gently caress no."

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

computer parts posted:

It's probably closer to Arrested Development than Firefly. Quirky sense of humor, poorly handled by its Network, rabid fanbase getting on everyone's nerves calling it the best TV show ever made, a decline in quality by its third season, eventual cancellation.

Maybe in a few years Hulu will make a season 6 where none of the main characters interact with one another.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

They can say "gently caress no."

My point is, even if the show got picked up yesterday, couldn't they say "gently caress no" anyway since their contracts expire long before filming starts?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Diabolik900 posted:

My point is, even if the show got picked up yesterday, couldn't they say "gently caress no" anyway since their contracts expire long before filming starts?

I haven't read the contracts, but I'm assuming that if NBC decided to go through with season 6 before the deadline, the actors would have been forced to either return or negotiate the terms of their departure. After the deadline, they have no such obligation.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 30, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Yahoo

radlum
May 13, 2013
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/community-renewed-by-yahoo-for-sixth-season-movie-to-follow

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Right as I gave up another season happens, wow.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
What the.

quote:

'Community' renewed by Yahoo for sixth season; movie to follow?

Holy cow, boys and girls: "Community" has been renewed, after all. The dream of six seasons and a movie is still alive — thanks to Yahoo, of all places, which closed a deal for an additional season of the cult NBC comedy.

The deal closed on the last day it realistically could, since the actors would all be released from their contracts at midnight tonight. The new season, comprised of 13 episodes, will debut this fall. Creator Dan Harmon and producer Chris McKenna, who returned to the show for season 5 after a year away, will stick around.

“I am very pleased that 'Community' will be returning for its predestined sixth season on Yahoo,” Harmon said in a statement. “I look forward to bringing our beloved NBC sitcom to a larger audience by moving it online. I vow to dominate our new competition. Rest easy, 'Big Bang Theory.' Look out, 'Bang Bus!”

McHale added, “The reports of our cancellation have been greatly exaggerated.” ---Mark Twain (The other version of this quote has been wrong for years). # SixSeasonsAndaMovie is real. Thank you Sony. Thank you Yahoo. Thank you Dan Harmon. And thank you to the greatest f%$#ing fans in the history of the human race. It’s the internet. We can swear now."

When NBC declined to order one last season just to fulfill their end of the "six seasons and a movie" meme (seized on by fans after a joke in season 2's fake clip show episode), the options for the show's survival were limited. Because of exclusive rerun deals with Hulu and Comedy Central (neither of whom could close a deal with Sony), Netflix and other cable channels weren't interested.

Back in the spring, though, Yahoo announced plans to create several of its own TV-style comedy series, which makes the prospect of even having this one season's worth of episodes appealing. "Community," you may have noticed, is enormously popular online, and bringing its fans to Yahoo to watch the remaining episodes would be an enormous head start on generating an awareness for their other original content.

And with the sixth season part happening, let me remind you of Harmon's comments to me earlier in the spring about the movie part:

"I mean, if they do a sixth season, I have to participate. And having done that, if the movie has to be made out of clay and duct tape in my basement, then that’s how the movie will be made, because there has to be closure. The title of the book about the show is not '"Community," An Interesting Journey into a Show No One Ever Watched.' The title of the book is obviously going to be, 'Six Seasons and a Movie.' So it’s already over. Sometimes our hands are just tied up in fate."

In the show's history full of improbable events, I would say that Harmon getting re-hired to run season 5 is still the most improbable, but being brought back from the dead by Yahoo is way up there. It's not the first cult show to be saved from cancellation, nor even the first to be saved by a streaming video service (see the Netflix season of "Arrested Development"), but in this case it involves a service that wasn't even on anyone's radar — and now will be, thanks to this deal.

What does everybody else think? Are you excited the show's going to continue, even online? Or had you made your peace with the NBC cancellation?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WHAT THE gently caress

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Expecting this to be fake news somehow

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

thanks alot assbag posted:

Expecting this to be fake news somehow

I found out because of Harmon RTing it, doubtful

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Yahoo? Didn't expect that.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

WoohooYahoo!

*does Irish jig*

I was honestly wondering if it'd come back as a PlayStation show, not Yahoo of all things.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Joel McHale just tweeted 'sixth season'. Dan Harmon too. Seems legit.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't even want it back at this point. I know the finale we got was underwhelming, but I get the sense that Dan and the whole cast have moved on and let it go. I don't want it back if they're all gonna be forced to do it and half-rear end it.

...having said that,

Well, I never thought this would happen. I guess if Community was gonna come back, this was the best way it could happen. Yahoo is probably gonna give Dan complete creative control, and the new format should allow him to experiment with some different stuff, which is what he does best.

But the best part of all is that thanks to the Six Seasons meme, this is pretty much guaranteed to be the last season. I almost wish Yahoo would greenlight a movie as well. That way there doesn't have to be another "this is the series finale but it's open ended enough that there can still be a movie" ending. Plan this poo poo out, and then end it Dan.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hahaha holy poo poo. If there ever is a movie I hope its a parody of TV movies like when the Harlem Globetrotters go to Gilligan's island or Saved By the Bell goes to Hawaii.

greatn fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 30, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Guess we have to change the thread title now.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Yeah, this. Maybe just The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Community: Five Seasons?

edit: Aaaaaaand just as I post that we get a more straightforward one. gently caress yeah.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

sniper4625 posted:

Way ahead of you.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Way ahead of you.

Streets ahead, even.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Are you loving kidding me? Joel McHale turned down the Late Late Show and Yahoo picked up Community?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PostNouveau posted:

Are you loving kidding me? Joel McHale turned down the Late Late Show and Yahoo picked up Community?

CBS denied that they were even talking to him about it, actually.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

CBS denied that they were even talking to him about it, actually.

Oh, the story I saw was him saying he was never interested.

Anyway, 5 more years as a web series. Let's go, Yahoo.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The gently caress? I don't even know how my TV gets Yahoo! or whatever that is. Is it near E!?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's internet only. This is the best news. I love seeing all the comments of "let it die already".

Awesome.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
So now that they have 6 seasons there is definitely going to be a movie right? Also, any word on bringing Troy back?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

PostNouveau posted:

McHale really loved/loves Community.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

swickles posted:

Also, any word on bringing Troy back?

Glover will never, ever come back.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
What should we all do to properly thank Yahoo!? Sign up for an email account?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Famous last words.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Irish Joe posted:

You've got :10bux: riding on this, don't think I've forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Is this real life or what is going on

• Locked thread