Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Rick posted:

I don't know who I want as a free agent (other than the unrealistic attempt at Lebron) but I know the biggest third rail to me is Ariza. Someone isn't going to pay him again after the last contract, are they?

Someone is totally gonna pay him. TBH I think it might actually work out, sustaining that 3 point shot over an entire season is a bit more encouraging than over some playoff games which is essentially what got him that Rockets contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

PantsFreeZone posted:

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Miami's Pat Riley has called Luol Deng's reps and registered his significant interest, source tells Yahoo.

A perimeter defense of LeBron and Deng would be just plain nasty.

For gently caress sake anyone but Luol.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Niwrad posted:

You will forget all about him when Rose, Melo and McBuckets are running the perimeter in Chitown.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

@aaronbruski
One thing is clear for Kings management right now. There is no way they can re-sign IT for the numbers they’ve been throwing out there.

So long IT it was great while it lasted :smith:

Most likely they are going the Tyreke route. Hope they can get him back at a fair/cheap rate and if not wish him well and try to grab some picks on the way out

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

The pelicans just got a non-horrifying mascot don't curse the children of New Orleans with an unholy car-bird monster. Cars and birds should not mate. Like Anthony Davis' teeth and Josh Smith's jumpshot it is an abomination unto The Lord.

It's funny that you say that. They do a great on court gag where the giant frozen faced baby rides in on the back of Hooper, the Pistons horse. Baby waves goodbye as Hooper runs out of the arena. Then baby attempts to climb into what looks like the cockpit of the Pelicar, but we learn via jumbotron , is the Pelicar's womb. The Pelicar revs up and does a burnout on the court. Then the baby is reborn through the trunk of the Pelicar with angel wings and and satyr style horse lower body. It's a must see.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

PantsFreeZone posted:

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Miami's Pat Riley has called Luol Deng's reps and registered his significant interest, source tells Yahoo.

A perimeter defense of LeBron and Deng would be just plain nasty.

And the fact that LeBron would basically never be on the other teams best scorer except in do or die crunch time would leave him a lot more energy on the other end.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lasagna Pilot posted:

You will forget all about him when Mo Williams, Gordon Heyward and McBuckets are running the perimeter in Chitown.

FTFY

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tae posted:

What do you mean by that? Ariza is a top b-tier free agent after Melo and Lebron are off the table.

Don't troll me Tae.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

WEREWAIF posted:

It's funny that you say that. They do a great on court gag where the giant frozen faced baby rides in on the back of Hooper, the Pistons horse. Baby waves goodbye as Hooper runs out of the arena. Then baby attempts to climb into what looks like the cockpit of the Pelicar, but we learn via jumbotron , is the Pelicar's womb. The Pelicar revs up and does a burnout on the court. Then the baby is reborn through the trunk of the Pelicar with angel wings and and satyr style horse lower body. It's a must see.

What the ever loving gently caress is this.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
In actual news: Kyrie Irving will sign a 5 year $90 mil extension with Cleveland

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I think Pat Riley operates specifically to hurt me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spoeank posted:

The Truth.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That could actually happen at Pistons games and literally no one would ever know

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I read somewhere that Luol Deng already agreed with the Clippers at 3 years $18 million but I can't find anything else to confirm it.

Orlando is apparently pursuing Rodney Stuckey but not much else out there says anything about that at all either. That makes no sense but he's a 'scorer.'

Spencer Hawes meeting with Portland. That's a decent pairing

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BIZORT posted:

I read somewhere that Luol Deng already agreed with the Clippers at 3 years $18 million but I can't find anything else to confirm it.

That would be the (fake) Adwoj account

Spacebump posted:

A great fake Woj twitter to retweet.
https://twitter.com/WojoYahooNBA

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Ah ok. I figured that would've been posted on here anyway.

Jameer getting waived kind of confirms to me that Orlando is either going to try and sign someone or take on bad deals through trades to get some more draft picks. E'Twaun Moore's qualifying offer was taken away once the Magic traded for Payton so he's gone, too. Down to Oladipo/Fournier/Payton

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Emanuel Collective posted:

In actual news: Kyrie Irving will sign a 5 year $90 mil extension with Cleveland

Am I alone in thinking that is a stupid contract?

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
The Jason Kidd thing seems a lot less ridiculous in the context of the fact that the Nets GM tried to fire Kidd in the middle of the season last year.

Makes sense for Kidd to jump ship from an aging roster and disastrous payroll to Milwaukee where he can work for a friend of his and enjoy better job security and lower expectations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MourningView posted:

Thabo is now a 3 and D guy who can't hit a 3 and is only sort of good at D.
Spurs'll fix him. :smugjones:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

PantsFreeZone posted:

Am I alone in thinking that is a stupid contract?

Should you give point guards max contracts? No. Would Irving get offered the max if he hit the open market? Yes. So therefore that's his value, whatever the wisdom is in the overall scheme of things.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Spoeank posted:

An example of the effects of hallucinogens?

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rick posted:

Should you give point guards max contracts? No. Would Irving get offered the max if he hit the open market? Yes. So therefore that's his value, whatever the wisdom is in the overall scheme of things.

Steph Curry took 4/44m and he and Irving have the same kind of fragility. And Curry is a much better player. I just think this is going to be looked at as one of those albatross contracts in a few years.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Rick posted:

What just cuz there's 20 very good pgs in the league and Irvings definitely not one of the 5 best and doesn't play defense you don't think he should get 90 million dollars? You clearly haven't been to NBA finance school.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

He's young and has shown he's an all-star level player when healthy so why not? Cleveland has to keep a guy like that. The funny part will come when they extend Tristan Thompson

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
^^ Dion Waiters

I mean I can see giving him a max on his elite shot creation ability but he's been increasingly injured and not good at that over time soooo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

PantsFreeZone posted:

Marc J. Spears @SpearsNBAYahoo
Heat free agent forward Rashard Lewis is expecting interest from Miami, Indiana, Oklahoma City, Toronto and San Antonio, a source said.

Bahahahahahahaha
I wonder what the history is of players leaving to join the team that beat them in the finals... I don't think Robert Horry was an example.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So if Chandler Parsons signed an offer sheet right now, wouldn't that kind of gently caress the Rockets?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

BIZORT posted:

Spencer Hawes meeting with Portland. That's a decent pairing

This is highly interesting and Hawes might help Portland take another step toward contending but the fan base is going to loving hate him.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

quote:

Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times: In an interview Sunday with Yahoo Sports, Derrick Rose — who missed all but 10 games last season with a torn meniscus in his right knee — indicated he might not try out for the U.S. team that will compete this summer in the Basketball World Cup in Spain. The tournament begins Aug. 30. That was news to the Bulls. "In terms of if he’s ready to go, he’s going," Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau said. "He wants to go. That’s what he’s told me; that’s what he’s told USA Basketball. But it’s a step-by-step process. He’s coming along fine. The next step is to participate in summer league. If that goes well, he goes to USA [camp]. And if that goes well, he’ll play in those games." ... General manager Gar Forman said he hadn’t talked with Rose about the latest questions regarding his participation in Team USA’s camp, but he reiterated that "from a physical standpoint, [Rose] is doing terrific." Forman also said all indications have been that Rose would try out for Team USA.

Derrick Rose is playing in the summer league? And what is this big push to get him in the FIBA championships? Let the loving guy train like normal. He's a terrible fit for FIBA anyway. Thibs is going to kill that guy

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Niwrad posted:

So if Chandler Parsons signed an offer sheet right now, wouldn't that kind of gently caress the Rockets?

No, they will match or do a sign and trade.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This is highly interesting and Hawes might help Portland take another step toward contending but the fan base is going to loving hate him.

Portland will NOT hate a local white guy coming off the bench

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hawes does not help any team move to contention.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

fariz posted:

Portland will NOT hate a local white guy coming off the bench

I think he means they will hate him because he is conservative in the loud talk radio, obama toilet paper in your home bathroom type way.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Evan Massey @massey_evan · 5m

The Indiana #Pacers will show interest in signing free agent forward Rashard Lewis. Lewis was a big piece for the #Heat in the playoffs.

Kill Me

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I think he means they will hate him because he is conservative in the loud talk radio, obama toilet paper in your home bathroom type way.

In my head I'm imagining a giant diesel pick-up running over a bike rack full of fixed gears.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ha, Sterling is saying the doc who evaluated his mental state went out drinking with him and Shelley after the meeting, so therefore his findings were tainted. The balls on this fuckin' guy, I tell you what.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Of interest to Mangles (and possibly only Mangles),

Drew Crawford will be on the Pels Summer League team. Does he have any entertaining qualities to watch for? Like how I can't help but laugh at Shurna's shot release.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe he meant "big piece" as in Lewis is 6'10".

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Kyrie Irving isn't worth near that much money in a vacuum, but what you have to keep in mind is Cleveland is neither an attractive place to live nor an attractive franchise to play for. Clearly they are going to have to overpay people to the tune of 25-33% if they have any kind of options elsewhere, which Irving would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I stepped on a big piece of glass yesterday that was smaller than the tip of my finger maybe they're just using creative language.

WEREWAIF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CupXDKqMV-g "If my brother's in trouble so am I"

I had a great plan to save the Knicks. You kidnap Chris Smith and videotape him heading down a conveyor belt into a huge saw blade. You tell JR that the kidnappers want him to play defense and an efficient game or they'll chop his brother. He's a loyal family man and so he does as he's told. He has an all star season and leads the knicks to the 7th seed in the playoffs.

I still can't believe you would suggest anything so monstrous. It would clearly work, but you're putting an innocent, laid-back family-lovin' kinda-guy like JR through emotional trauma online for the sake of the Knicks' defense as if they deserve any such thing???

This is too much. Beyond the pale, it's far too much and you can't just do whatever you want in the name of tight defensive schemes. Plus Chris Smith is a very strong man, he would break free. And even if you used extra extra strong ropes he would still yell at the camera "don't do it JR it's a trick" and then you really would have to kill him and I bet you wouldn't feel too great then huh?

Also 'eh too much effort' is much more Melo's problem than JR's on D and I don't even know if Melo has any brothers. Here's the 17 second clip where JR does okay guarding two people because Melo decides to rotate off his man under the basket onto a patch of empty space:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fedKRotk2WY

Plus JR ball-watches a lot and I don't know if giving him more to think about will help.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 1, 2014

• Locked thread