Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spoeank posted:

What the ever loving gently caress is this.

A positive and healthy escape into fantasy after the trauma of a season full of Brandon-Smith captained deep twoball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man Cleveland is in a bad spot. There isn't even like a close-by nice city you could live in and commute to Cleveland.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kibner posted:

Of interest to Mangles (and possibly only Mangles),

Drew Crawford will be on the Pels Summer League team. Does he have any entertaining qualities to watch for? Like how I can't help but laugh at Shurna's shot release.

Crawford is an athletic wing who was used mainly as a slasher in the Northwestern offense and has some pro moves, but probably is not an NBA-caliber guy. Here are some quick Crawford Facts:

-Has a normal-looking jump shot.
-Is a Northwestern basketball player who has, in the course of his career, used something that startled Northwestern fans are calling the "dunk shot."
-Does not hail from any part of the former Yugoslavia
-Is the son of Danny Crawford, so expect him to do screw over the Mavs' summer league team

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

Derrick Rose is playing in the summer league? And what is this big push to get him in the FIBA championships? Let the loving guy train like normal. He's a terrible fit for FIBA anyway. Thibs is going to kill that guy

Summer league is pretty low intensity and seems like a decent way to ease him back into playing actual games. Lots of guys who miss a lot of time because of injury or whatever do that.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Crawford is an athletic wing who was used mainly as a slasher in the Northwestern offense and has some pro moves, but probably is not an NBA-caliber guy. Here are some quick Crawford Facts:

-Is a Northwestern basketball player who has, in the course of his career, used something that startled Northwestern fans are calling the "dunk shot."
-Is the son of Danny Crawford, so expect him to do screw over the Mavs' summer league team

-Is a total shithead

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Kyrie Irving isn't worth near that much money in a vacuum, but what you have to keep in mind is Cleveland is neither an attractive place to live nor an attractive franchise to play for. Clearly they are going to have to overpay people to the tune of 25-33% if they have any kind of options elsewhere, which Irving would.

And whatever hope they have of landing LeBron is at least partially dependent upon having Kyrie locked up longterm, which Kyrie's people surely knew, so they could go big because Cleveland doesn't really have a choice.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

BIZORT posted:

Derrick Rose is playing in the summer league? And what is this big push to get him in the FIBA championships? Let the loving guy train like normal. He's a terrible fit for FIBA anyway. Thibs is going to kill that guy

Given Rose's history, I think it would be pretty crazy to play him in either Summer League or International. I can totally understand him not wanting to play. I cannot understand Thibodeau basically shoe-horning him into playing. As a player, I think if you have any kind of persistent injury concerns then the benefit/risk ratio of playing international competitions gets pretty bad.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Some unfortunate Bucks intern is being forced to blast out the positive J Kidd tweets this morning with exciting facts like:

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Rose is only supposed to practice with the SL squad, not play in the actual games.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kyrie isn't without flaws but we're only a year removed from him be regarded by everyone as the league's next great superstar. He's still a very good very young player and would definitely get a max on the open market. I think the deal is fine.

If they're making any move just because they think that's what LeBron would want they are huge idiots though

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Most teams in the league would offer Kyrie that contract, this is hardly a "dumb Cavs move".

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

euphronius posted:

Hawes does not help any team move to contention.

I know I'm biased but I think adding Hawes would make Portland a legitimate challenger to OKC for the division title.

But Olshey must know something we don't because Portland only has the MLE to spend on Hawes. So either Olshey thinks interest in Hawes isn't as strong as people think it is and he won't get the $7-8m people were talking about, or he thinks Cleveland is willing to do a sign and trade.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
Mark Cuban looks like a gorilla.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

R.D. Mangles posted:

The "dunk shot" sounds intriguing. I hope he demonstrates it during the games. Also, anyone on the Pels that can be a thorn in the Mav's side sounds good to me (sorry Spacebump)! I miss David West breaking their hearts every game.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

EvanTH posted:

I still can't believe you would suggest anything so monstrous. It would clearly work, but you're putting an innocent, laid-back family-lovin' kinda-guy like JR through emotional trauma online for the sake of the Knicks' defense as if they deserve any such thing???

JR killed his best friend.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

pylb posted:

Rose is only supposed to practice with the SL squad, not play in the actual games.

Could all those wicked sick closed door gym dunks actually be conjured lies? I just don't know at this point anymore, does Derrick rose still even exist

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I know I'm biased but I think adding Hawes would make Portland a legitimate challenger to OKC for the division title.

But Olshey must know something we don't because Portland only has the MLE to spend on Hawes. So either Olshey thinks interest in Hawes isn't as strong as people think it is and he won't get the $7-8m people were talking about, or he thinks Cleveland is willing to do a sign and trade.

I am going to save you a lot of time and despair: Spencer Hawes is absolute garbage. Don't look at his numbers. Don't look at the advanced stats or whatever. He is truly terrible and you will hate him and you will despair and wish for the cold embrace of death.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Signing Irving to a 5 year deal is probably one of the better Cavs moves of the past decade, all it costs them is some cap space they'll never be able to use on a free agent either way (and Gilbert's money but that's a good thing).

The real comedy will come watching them navigate the minefield that is the TT, Waiters, and Bennett contracts down the line.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I hope the San Antonio Spurs sign Ed Davis since they can afford him and he would likely see a lot of minutes in the Spurs frontcourt rotation and also grit

Almost certainly the latter. Cleveland would either be looking for cap room or players to help with their stupid dumb loving pipe dream of LeBron ("hey we'll get mo williams remember how great that was please come back")

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Libertine posted:

Some unfortunate Bucks intern is being forced to blast out the positive J Kidd tweets this morning with exciting facts like:

This is really sad

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

cisneros posted:

JR killed his best friend.

I think we all understand the aptness of running a Knicks defense by piling tragedy upon tragedy but the league needs its gravity-defying men in top mental condition

:aaa:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
JR Smith should have just googled how to kill his best friend in a heated car and save everyone alot of trouble

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Libertine posted:

Seems like the type of normal things you would tell a fanbase about a new coach but ive somehow gotten on my own nerves whiteknighting Kidd so im just gonna take a lil ol break here

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I feel like most Bucks fans probably know who Jason Kidd is. He was playing, like, two years ago. He was pretty famous.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

I feel like most Bucks fans probably know who Jason Kidd is. He was playing, like, two years ago. He was pretty famous.

I want more pertinent facts.

DID YOU KNOW: Jason Kidd is half white and half black! He often changes race depending on the lighting!

His nickname in the NBA was _ason Kidd!

He is a notoriously awful rapper!

He hosed several TV reporters!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I believe it is now well established that he is, in fact, the worst NBA rapper, unless you happen to speak French.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Don't forget the whole Toni Braxton thing. Or when he dyed his hair blonde when he was a Sun

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

PantsFreeZone posted:

Steph Curry took 4/44m and he and Irving have the same kind of fragility. And Curry is a much better player. I just think this is going to be looked at as one of those albatross contracts in a few years.

Curry almost immediately regretted taking that deal and it's easily one of the most team-friendly contracts in the league. Using that as your market indicator is going to make most new deals look bad.

I would say that's only the case if their young backcourt players can improve dramatically. If CJ McCollum is their only backup PG next year then they're going to be in a heap of trouble.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

Don't forget the whole Toni Braxton thing. Or when he dyed his hair blonde when he was a Sun

Jason Kidd is a piece of poo poo who has done a lot of really inexcuably horrible stuff in his life, but that bleached hair may have been the worst of all.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Get on it, Bucks. Tell America what it really wants to know about your new coach: the time he spit a french fry in his wife's face and then following it up with a cup of yogurt

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Parlett316 posted:

No, they will match or do a sign and trade.

I think he meant it would kill the cap space they've been building. Which yes, yes it would. IIRC if he signs an offer sheet his cap hold immediately jumps to the contract's first year value

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Jason Kidd ended his playing career by missing 500 consecutive wide open shots and missed the first two games of his coaching career with a DWI suspension #funfacts

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Papercut posted:

I would say that's only the case if their young backcourt players can improve dramatically. If CJ McCollum is their only backup PG next year then they're going to be in a heap of trouble.

I'm assuming that Mo is coming back. Though I guess the Mavs could offer him more money than Portland would want to and a starting spot.

My hope is that the bench develops enough so that Batum, Aldridge and Lillard's minutes drop to the low 30s.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

EvanTH posted:

Jason Kidd ended his playing career by missing 500 consecutive wide open shots and missed the first two games of his coaching career with a DWI suspension #funfacts

Having a DWI is the most relatable thing about him to Wisconsinites.

He should have done it here really, would have been a great way to start the season and the first one is just a traffic ticket!

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Intruder posted:

I think he meant it would kill the cap space they've been building. Which yes, yes it would. IIRC if he signs an offer sheet his cap hold immediately jumps to the contract's first year value

I thought that only happens if they elect to match, which they can hold off doing for 72 hours. So it wouldn't immediately screw them, but it would make them have to speed up their timeline quite a bit.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Intruder posted:

Well then the offering team would have cap space in limbo for 72 hours until it's matched or declined. I think they will match anything similar to Batum's deal and strike out on the Melo/Love sweepstakes. Ariza coming back as a Parson's back up plan is interesting though and I still love Lowry.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
On the latest Simmons podcast they clarified that arenas were not included in those profit estimates.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

On the latest Simmons podcast they clarified that arenas were not included in those profit estimates.

He said that in the article too, multiple times.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Are any of the summer leagues being broadcast in some form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Are any of the summer leagues being broadcast in some form?

It's on NBATV.

• Locked thread