Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Cultural. Truly, the victory of memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it was Big Boss training his own AI Clone, just so show up everyone else trying so hard to make copies of himself.

That or Otacon masterminding all this, because Sunny asked him to help set up an AI dad for all the cyber brain children.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Vicevirtuoso posted:

code:
Game:SetWinner(Players[0]:GetTeam(), GameInfoTypes.VICTORY_CULTURAL)

But what if BB isn't actually Player 1? :stare:

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Section Z posted:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it was Big Boss training his own AI Clone, just so show up everyone else trying so hard to make copies of himself.

That or Otacon masterminding all this, because Sunny asked him to help set up an AI dad for all the cyber brain children.

In a baffling twist, it is revealed that Big Boss is just a fictional character in a long-running successful video game series based on a Japanese man's mad love of American action movies.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Hah! Obviously this entire simulation is just an attempt at Ocelot to train himself to be the equal of Big Boss. Every victory, every good move, every maneuver simply makes Ocelot better and better. Snake finally realizes he cannot fight his way out of this situation. The more he fights, the stronger his enemy gets. The only way to win is through complete passivity.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

unwantedplatypus posted:

Hah! Obviously this entire simulation is just an attempt at Ocelot to train himself to be the equal of Big Boss. Every victory, every good move, every maneuver simply makes Ocelot better and better. Snake finally realizes he cannot fight his way out of this situation. The more he fights, the stronger his enemy gets. The only way to win is through complete passivity.

<Ocelot> So, uh...you gonna hit "End Turn" anytime soon?
<Snake> Ehh, I dunno, I'm still thinking
<Ocelot> It's the first turn of the game!
<Snake> Yeah! Gotta make sure that settler's in a good spot!
<Ocelot> Arrrrgh

EDIT: durrr, Otakon is not Ocelot.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 1, 2014

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

BigBoss.ai would fit nicely in an Orbital Frame.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

BattleCattle posted:

BigBoss.ai would fit nicely in an Orbital Frame.

ZotE WAS pretty much the only thing missing at this point.

StarPilot87
Dec 31, 2012
Perhaps this is all Otacon's way of programming the AI that will run on REX so that it can stand toe to toe with RAY. Then again, this is Big Boss, not Solid, so that would be too late in the timeline.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Derek Barona posted:

ZotE WAS pretty much the only thing missing at this point.

Someone is forgetting the Vic viper boss fight.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Kyte posted:

But what if BB isn't actually Player 1? :stare:

That would go a long way towards confirming the little "Speedball is a Kojima AI" theory mentioned earlier, eh? Because, after all, only the human would ever be Players[0]!

(hotseat? never heard of it)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
What I love about all this speculation is that it'll be less crazy than what Speedball has in mind.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
Seeing as we've already had the Steelport CS show up, I'm putting the money on Big Boss being groomed to properly inherit the title of Boss.

Via, of course, Saints Supervisor Synthesis.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LoonShia posted:

What I love about all this speculation is that it'll be less crazy than what Speedball has in mind.

I actually imagine Speedball surrounded by crumpled sheets of paper as he reads the thread. "drat it, there goes my fifty-seventh idea!"

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Podima posted:

I actually imagine Speedball surrounded by crumpled sheets of paper as he reads the thread. "drat it, there goes my fifty-seventh idea!"

What makes you think he isn't sending them all to Konami HQ?

Then again, I have no doubts at this point Kojima is watching this thread, silently. It's no crazier than anything else he's done in game or in reality.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well he's never contacted me. I did once get an email from a guy claiming to be Stan Lee, so he could claim my art sucks.

I thought THAT was self-evident.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Caros posted:

Someone is forgetting the Vic viper boss fight.

I thought he was doing Gradius with that, not Zone of the Enders.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Derek Barona posted:

I thought he was doing Gradius with that, not Zone of the Enders.

It can go either way, really.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The only thing I have left to cross it over with is Silent Hill.

Oh, MAAAN if Kojima ever gets to direct a Silent Hill game like he said he wanted to. Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Speedball posted:

Oh, MAAAN if Kojima ever gets to direct a Silent Hill game like he said he wanted to. Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo.

Pyramid Ocelot. That is all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Honestly, a major reason Speedball's stuff is way more readable than Kojima's is because it isn't nearly as bloated and overwritten. None of the 'scenes' so far have contained that much repeated dialogue or pointless padding, and it's much more concise. It's still utterly ridiculous (which is not bad! MGR showed me I really could enjoy Metal Gear if it wasn't so loving bloated and overly padded!) and silly, but you don't have to sit through it for thirty minutes, just a couple paragraphs of reading.

That said, God, please never let Kojima get his hands on Silent Hill. It's suffered enough.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Speedball posted:

You forgot Beatmania/DDR.

Four arrows. More than enough to dance to any song that plays.

Also, for those interested, have a few screenshots from what I've been working on.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Vicevirtuoso, will it work with the Steam Workshop mod that increases barbarian spawn rate? :getin:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vicevirtuoso posted:

You forgot Beatmania/DDR.

Four arrows. More than enough to dance to any song that plays.

GAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA haaahhh....

Hoo.

Okay, gotta work on Other Project a bit then I'll work on next update here a bit.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Ulvirich posted:

Vicevirtuoso, will it work with the Steam Workshop mod that increases barbarian spawn rate? :getin:

Yeah, it should. It will also work with Raging Barbarians, though your Grief Seeds will be less effective while that option is on. It, crazily enough, will also work with No Barbarians (there will be ways to force Witches to appear), and it will make the Grief Seeds more effective due to their rarity.

The code is also going to affect any Civs which force Barbarians to spawn. Yes, this includes Outer Ops.

Snake, we got a Grief Seed from that Witch that was attacking Bratislava!

Grief Seed? Strange name. How do they taste?

...and I thought I ate a lot.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Vicevirtuoso posted:

Snake, we got a Grief Seed from that Witch that was attacking Bratislava!

Grief Seed? Strange name. How do they taste?

...and I thought I ate a lot.

Surprisingly spicy, really. You get used to it after a while. Hey Paz, wanna be a Magical Girl?

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

BattleCattle posted:

Hey Paz, wanna be a Magical Girl?

What's terrible is that basically anything that could have happened to her as a Magical Girl would still have been a much better fate than what actually happened to her.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Night10194 posted:

Honestly, a major reason Speedball's stuff is way more readable than Kojima's is because it isn't nearly as bloated and overwritten. None of the 'scenes' so far have contained that much repeated dialogue or pointless padding, and it's much more concise. It's still utterly ridiculous (which is not bad! MGR showed me I really could enjoy Metal Gear if it wasn't so loving bloated and overly padded!) and silly, but you don't have to sit through it for thirty minutes, just a couple paragraphs of reading.

That said, God, please never let Kojima get his hands on Silent Hill. It's suffered enough.

Repeated dialogue?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Dexie posted:

Repeated dialogue?

A minimum 33% of any MGS game's script is cutscenes where something is explained yet again in case you missed it the first three times, or Snake/Raiden hearing a phrase or word and repeating it back quizzically so as to allow the other person to go into further expository detail.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Dexie posted:

Repeated dialogue?

Derek Barona posted:

A minimum 33% of any MGS game's script is cutscenes where something is explained yet again in case you missed it the first three times, or Snake/Raiden hearing a phrase or word and repeating it back quizzically so as to allow the other person to go into further expository detail.

Lampshade hanging?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

expository detail?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This wasn't as big a deal in Peace Walker, though. Probably because of how a lot of it was briefing tapes you could replay at any time instead of lengthy ad-hoc codecs. (The actual codec button calls were really short, too, usually only a sentence long. And this is how MGSV seems to be handling things too if GZ is any indication.)

Of course, in Civilization you no longer get briefing cutscenes at all. More's the pity.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

unwantedplatypus posted:

expository detail?

METAL GEAR?!?

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Vicevirtuoso posted:

What's terrible is that basically anything that could have happened to her as a Magical Girl would still have been a much better fate than what actually happened to her.

PAN OCEANA XD
I never understand any of it, which makes me feel like theres a joke that went over my head.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Derek Barona posted:

Oh, sou ka? </akiootsuka>

Unrelated: Have a Dara O'Briain bit on MGS:

Edit: Updated video. Worse quality, but the entire thing, cued to the start of the MGS bit, in case you want to watch the whole thing.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 3, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, sou ka? </akiootsuka>

Unrelated: Have a Dara O'Briain bit on MGS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWQXzGTzM1g

Hahaha wow I think that's the first video game related comedy routine I've seen that was actually funny. Good on you Dara O'Briain, looks like you actually did your research on the subject :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Neruz posted:

Hahaha wow I think that's the first video game related comedy routine I've seen that was actually funny. Good on you Dara O'Briain, looks like you actually did your research on the subject :v:

Take this with a pinch of salt, because I'm a bit of an anglophile, but he's kind of brilliant. Mock The Week is the best, and, taking nothing away from Chris Hardwick, Mock The Week is @Midnight's more distinguished daddy.

The entire bit is a big longer about video games as a whole, and is kind of great. Live At The Apollo, I think it was.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 2, 2014

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Take this with a pinch of salt, because I'm a bit of an anglophile,

He's fuckin' Irish.

Really good, though. I've enjoyed this LP too and am looking forward to the end. I've tried the MSF civ myself but being a bit hopeless at Civ it doesn't usually go great.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr Snofeld posted:

He's fuckin' Irish.

Really good, though. I've enjoyed this LP too and am looking forward to the end. I've tried the MSF civ myself but being a bit hopeless at Civ it doesn't usually go great.

I know he's fuckin' Irish, he's got the fuckin' accent and the bloody "O' " in his bloody name. =P

I meant for thinking Mock The Week is brilliant, and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Been really sick in hospital for the past week, and the first thing I see when I get back is this. I'm starting to worry if I'm still in a (fever) dream, because that was absolutely brilliant. Everything tying together like that was awesome, and more importantly made sense in trying to keep a story straight with so much Kojima-verse stuff in there. Well, as accurately as a Kojima story could be, anyways.

Hayter isn't on call anymore, right? Surely someone could at least feed him the script and get this LP in audio form, at least Big Bosses lines. It deserves that kind of thing, given how long this has gone on and kept a narrative in what could probably only be described as an actual scrapped script for a Metal Gear game. Kudos to you, Speedball, and I wish we could harvest that brain of yours to keep making awesome LPs like this. Looking forward to the fight between Mother Base and Outer Heaven.

• Locked thread