Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Depressing Drawers posted:

The current pre-alpha release is still available on IndieDB, however it's not really representative of the game anymore - Out of a misplaced sense of community however here's a goon alpha release for you guys;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvtesvkiy76dr84/Illuminascii_PC.zip

In the best roguelike tradition you WILL need to read the readme included, I guarantee. The game is still in alpha so it is unfinished with bugs a plenty and it is unoptimised as all gently caress but the base gameplay is there.

Best place to watch for updates is either me on twitter (@depdrawers) or on the tumblr http://depressingdrawers.tumblr.com

Sweet, I'll be checking this out. Looks interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Unormal posted:

Dynamic lighting:

Better unexplored fog:

What is this fancy project called / is there somewhere to play it yet?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Bobo the Red posted:

What is this fancy project called / is there somewhere to play it yet?

It's called Sproggiwood, there's no public beta at the moment, but you can sign up here if you're interested in joining some playtest rounds: http://www.freeholdentertainment.com/beta/

We're just a few days from launching our Steam Greenlight, I'll probably drop in to beg some votes next week!

If you want to keep up with progress, we post updates at our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/freeholdgames

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Hi Roguelikes thread. You can now purchase One Way Heroics on Steam for less than the price of a pack of gum at a convenience store. Well, bye.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266210/

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

I guess I'll pimp my roguelike here while the thread is on the front page, since you guys might be interested in it;

Illuminascii;

FPS ascii based roguelike / roguelite thing

Tried this thing. Pretty neat idea. Didn't read the readme until after playing and learning to kick though. I'm no coward :colbert:

It... took a while until I figured out that walking over item drops moved you away from them and I needed to right click.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Hi Roguelikes thread. You can now purchase One Way Heroics on Steam for less than the price of a pack of gum at a convenience store. Well, bye.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266210/

I've been wanting to try this for a while now. Thanks for the heads up!

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED

Bobo the Red posted:

Tried this thing. Pretty neat idea. Didn't read the readme until after playing and learning to kick though. I'm no coward :colbert:

It... took a while until I figured out that walking over item drops moved you away from them and I needed to right click.

How did it run for you, if you don't mind me asking?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

How did it run for you, if you don't mind me asking?

Mostly pretty well. I think there was one time I noticed some graphics lag when I was looking around.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Pixel Piracy is on flash sale on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/264140/

Does anyone know anything about it? Looks interesting.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, I would come beg for Sproggiwood Greenlight votes; but we started and ended the greenlight campaign while the forums were down!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Yeeeey! Congratulations! :)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Unormal posted:

Well, I would come beg for Sproggiwood Greenlight votes; but we started and ended the greenlight campaign while the forums were down!

That's awesome, congrats!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

Outstanding!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Well drat. Good job!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I voted for Sproggiwood when I saw the Greenlight campaign on Twitter. Congrats!

I just started playing Hoplite on iOS. The efficiency of the game design is great! A play through might take only 10 minutes, but it hits basically every roguelike gameplay element I enjoy in that time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unormal posted:

Wow god drat I want to play this now.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

brainwrinkle posted:

I voted for Sproggiwood when I saw the Greenlight campaign on Twitter. Congrats!

I just started playing Hoplite on iOS. The efficiency of the game design is great! A play through might take only 10 minutes, but it hits basically every roguelike gameplay element I enjoy in that time.

I just picked up Hoplite as well. I'm really bad at roguelikes, so it's fun to have one I can actually win regularly. I've only gone a couple of levels past the fleece so I don't know what else there is to find.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Awesome. This looks fantastic and I can't wait for it to get released.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks to everyone who voted! Now we just have to finish it :D :gonk:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The next ADOM closed pre-release which will be out soon sounds like a big one. The context menus are going to be substantially improved, there will be a central character information screen instead of 5-6 of them, autoexplore is going on, and it will have the ADOM Deluxe features in for testing.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

TOOT BOOT posted:

The next ADOM closed pre-release which will be out soon sounds like a big one. The context menus are going to be substantially improved, there will be a central character information screen instead of 5-6 of them, autoexplore is going on, and it will have the ADOM Deluxe features in for testing.

I might have to pick it up again then. I paid for closed access a while back but I haven't really played it much since then.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I just picked up Hoplite as well. I'm really bad at roguelikes, so it's fun to have one I can actually win regularly. I've only gone a couple of levels past the fleece so I don't know what else there is to find.

Achievement, no kill runs, etc.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Any actual gameplay features?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

..btt posted:

Any actual gameplay features?

Most of that has already been added (races/classes/artifacts/monsters), all that's left to do is the added quests, but only one of those has gone in so far. He also made a cryptic comment in the bugtracker that implied he added several new dungeons to the map for the next version.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
What roguelites are similar to Rogue Legacy in that there is still a system for character advancement outside of what is limited to your character's lifespan?

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Relin posted:

What roguelites are similar to Rogue Legacy in that there is still a system for character advancement outside of what is limited to your character's lifespan?

This game is in the same vein but still in alpha.

http://vagantegame.tumblr.com/

That being said, play the alpha its pretty dang fun! The loot and levels are more random than legacy, and no progress carries over between death. Looks like its gonna be a pretty fun game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Relin posted:

Well, there's stuff like Binding of Isaac and Risk of Rain, although they're a different sort of progression. Instead of getting bigger stats and stronger starting gear, you unlock more variety in terms of which items can be randomly generated, as well as new characters to play as.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Relin posted:

Dungeonman lets you build a hero academy

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I guess Spelunky technically sort of counts, if you include opening up shortcuts.

More people need to play Spelunky, in any case.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mark Johnson is doing some really really nice things with ASCII, I'll be heartbroken if the game part of URR sucks because the art design is amazing for an ASCII game.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
What's the general gooncensus on The Pit?

http://sots-thepit.com

I bought it on a steam sale for cheap and have enjoyed it and just bought the expansions during the last steam sale. I am not a huge fan of ASCII based games and enjoyed this for the ease of entry and solid controls/art/usability, which is something most rogue likes seem to actively hate.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

Mixed, sometimes you get hosed over on item spawns and end up with an unwinnable game but some people enjoy it despite this.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are there any roguelikes with class and ability design like TOME's but, uh, better optimized? I love TOME but I'm getting to the point where I'm often just not willing to put up with framerate stuttering and constantly worsening performance the longer the client runs in an ASCII game of all things.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any roguelikes with class and ability design like TOME's but, uh, better optimized? I love TOME but I'm getting to the point where I'm often just not willing to put up with framerate stuttering and constantly worsening performance the longer the client runs in an ASCII game of all things.

I'm not sure how ToME counts as "an ASCII game".

I note that 1.2.0 introduced some pretty serious memory leaks which I think are all fixed as of 1.2.2; update to that and turn off all the fancy graphical effects like shaders and see if things improve.

As for other games like it, I've got nothing. ToME's class design and "death to consumables" philosophy are pretty unusual.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Sigma-X posted:

http://sots-thepit.com

I bought it on a steam sale for cheap and have enjoyed it and just bought the expansions during the last steam sale. I am not a huge fan of ASCII based games and enjoyed this for the ease of entry and solid controls/art/usability, which is something most rogue likes seem to actively hate.

I really like parts of it and dislike others. The "look everything up in a wiki" crafting system is the biggest turn off for me. The recipes should be better, but you just can't make them until you learn/find it. As it is, it feels like a chore to look them up outside of the game, but I feel like I'm losing out if I ignore crafting, therefore, playing the game feels like a chore.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

In about 2 hrs Sunless Sea unlocks on Steam EA. (If you pre-ordered you have a steam key on your humble bundle library section.)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Farquar posted:

I really like parts of it and dislike others. The "look everything up in a wiki" crafting system is the biggest turn off for me. The recipes should be better, but you just can't make them until you learn/find it. As it is, it feels like a chore to look them up outside of the game, but I feel like I'm losing out if I ignore crafting, therefore, playing the game feels like a chore.
Same, for the most part. I've been playing this since the release of the first version, but I'm honest enough to say that it's a grindy game that seems to be designed around making you play it as much/long as possible. I've mentioned my gripes with the bloated drop table and being at the total mercy of the RNG before, but that's really my main problem. It ultimately doesn't matter how well you play or know the game, because if you don't get the right drops you're just hosed and can start over. Still I keep coming back to it, because there is no real alternative and I may be broken in that regard.

Also, the crafting is a chore at first, but becomes okay when you learn what stuff you should hang on to. Like, you're supposed to play a ton of runs to unlock the basic recipes that you actually need to survive(especially when it comes to food!), which is a dumb idea. So I just looked everything up on the net early on. It's also not that fun, but at least the combinations stay in your PDA when you've made them once. Doesn't matter if you have actually found the recipe in the game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm not sure how ToME counts as "an ASCII game".

I note that 1.2.0 introduced some pretty serious memory leaks which I think are all fixed as of 1.2.2; update to that and turn off all the fancy graphical effects like shaders and see if things improve.

I already did, none of it helped. It was a problem before 1.2.0 and continues to be one after 1.2.2, although yeah it might've been even worse in the middle.

I don't think the issue is graphics-bound anyways.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
From what I remember of ToME's early days, I think DarkGod is just bad at writing optimized code, kind of like the Dwarf Fortress guy. For example (and not to say that ToME is necessarily doing this) if you run a full A* search for every entity on every turn and you have dozens of entities on a large map, then you're going to notice some lag even though the game isn't obviously doing anything difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Relin posted:

Shiren the Wanderer is like this although it is a proper roguelike, you unlock new helpers/side quests/items in warehouses and so on as you play the game.