Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

Well the report says the pilot "suffered cognitive failure" which is now my new term for "had a massive brain fart"

Military/industrial euphemisms for a variety of failures are often hilarious, in a slightly black-humoured sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

stuxracer posted:

The report for it (linked in video) says this was like 100% pilot error and had nothing to do with sea water.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....464_02aug02.pdf

Either way, it ended up full of seawater and probably didn't funcitno too well afterwards.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Jeherrin posted:

Military/industrial euphemisms for a variety of failures are often hilarious, in a slightly black-humoured sort of way.

"Engine-rich exhaust", "uncontrolled rapid autonomous disassembly event", "non-graceful physical interruption of service", "lithobraking event", and "operator-off landing" are all things that I have heard in the course of either hobbies or work.

("My rocket exploded", "The gun exploded", "someone cut the power lines for my server with a rotary saw", "The quad-rotor hit the ground and stopped working forever", and "so did the other one.")

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

fakeaccount posted:

Found your problem, right here.

Seriously the blazer is one of the least reliable vehicles I've EVER had the displeasure of owning and driving.

Man, idk, the Chevy 4.3 is up there with the Jeep 4.0. No oil? No coolant? Let's go.

That's not to say that GM doesn't suck now. My sister owns a Suzuki Forenza a.k.a. Daewoo Lacetti. 10 years old and it's due for its third engine. The only thing worse than GM is GM's wholly-owned Korean subsidiary.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
On the other hand those loving intake manifold gaskets are the worst

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Isn't the GM 4.3 literally a GM 5.7 with two cylinders chopped off?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

"Engine-rich exhaust", "uncontrolled rapid autonomous disassembly event", "non-graceful physical interruption of service", "lithobraking event", and "operator-off landing" are all things that I have heard in the course of either hobbies or work.

("My rocket exploded", "The gun exploded", "someone cut the power lines for my server with a rotary saw", "The quad-rotor hit the ground and stopped working forever", and "so did the other one.")

My favourite is "hardware-rich combustion".

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

rscott posted:

On the other hand those loving intake manifold gaskets are the worst

Yes, rubber ribs in a plastic body squashed between the intake and head. I can't count how many I've replaced. Thankfully Fel-Pro (and others?) make a much better upgraded replacement.

"Farking Bastage posted:

Isn't the GM 4.3 literally a GM 5.7 with two cylinders chopped off?

Yes. All of the guts are the same, minus 2 cyl.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

thelightguy posted:

Man, idk, the Chevy 4.3 is up there with the Jeep 4.0. No oil? No coolant? Let's go.

I just finished an oil change on my 92 4.0 XJ (special thanks to the local lube for using an elephant to torque my filter). It was supposed to have 6 quarts in there, but I think I only drained about 3. It's pushing 230k, I think I should start babying this old girl. This engine is a mechanical victory. Murphy ain't got poo poo on a 4.0.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Horse Divorce posted:

I just finished an oil change on my 92 4.0 XJ (special thanks to the local lube for using an elephant to torque my filter). It was supposed to have 6 quarts in there, but I think I only drained about 3. It's pushing 230k, I think I should start babying this old girl. This engine is a mechanical victory. Murphy ain't got poo poo on a 4.0.

No oil, no coolant, upside-down, full of sand/water, pick any two, and the 4.0 will probably still get you home later.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Terrible Robot posted:

No oil, no coolant, upside-down, full of sand/water, pick any two, and the 4.0 will probably still get you home later.

As far as I know the engines that can take abuse like this are the 4.0, GM 3800, and Nissan VQ. The Ford SPI 2000 gets an honourable mention for being unkillable but also focusing that neglect back at the owner in the form of vibration and noise.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toyota 4A-FE, 22R, 4K, F series. Single cam nissan RB's, Nissan GA15/16-DE also spring to mind.

I wonder about things like the intake manifold gasket thing. There are countless cars which have plastic manifolds and rubber o-ring style gaskets in the runners pressing against machined flat surfaces on the head, most of them don't fail. Likewise, how is it a japanese car can go for 200,000km without the rear main seal springing a leak but a BMW is lucky to make it past the warranty period? A crank seal is a crank seal, it isn't rocket science, why do some cars trash certain parts often? Mechanical parts like poorly made water pumps, lifters made out of too-soft metal and such I can understand. But if you're sticking standardised rubber seals in something surely they should be of the same quality and longevity regardless of brand?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Not sure if this is horrible mechanical or just horrible person failure...

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Didn't even know this was possible

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That reminds me of hearing a story about some guys doing a clutch on an LS1 commodore or something similar for the first time. They wanted to get the spigot bearing out. Brilliantly, they used that classic trick of filling the cavity behind it with grease, then using a drift the same size as the output shaft spigot to hydraulically pop the bearing out thanks to the incompressibility of grease. And after a couple of hits, the bung pressed into the end of the cam fell forwards into the sump.

Then they discovered that you can't take the sump off such a commodore without suspending the engine in the bay using a holder and taking the subframe out from beneath. A tool they didn't have.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

How long would the car had to have been dragged on the road for it to get like that?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's one hell of a parking brake.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Slavvy posted:

Then they discovered that you can't take the sump off such a commodore without suspending the engine in the bay using a holder and taking the subframe out from beneath. A tool they didn't have.

Bah. Weaklings

This was a rear main seal job that I did a while back.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I'm not even mad. I'm impressed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's like they were trying to make one of those cutaway cars, but horizontally instead of vertical.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

8ender posted:

As far as I know the engines that can take abuse like this are the 4.0, GM 3800, and Nissan VQ. The Ford SPI 2000 gets an honourable mention for being unkillable but also focusing that neglect back at the owner in the form of vibration and noise.

Volvo redblocks and B18/B20 engines qualify for that list.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

8ender posted:

Put the Ford 300 I6 on the list too from what I hear. Hell, most 7-main iron I6s qualify.

And I think Fart Pipe might disagree with the 2000 split port nomination. One of his cousins killed two of them in something like 6 months without running them out of oil, water, OR hydrolocking them.

Sudo Echo posted:

what the... :psyboom:

I guess it's probably a 1 piece seal riding on the edge of the crank flange, and one of the crank flange bolt holes was drilled all the way through...?

But still, how the hell was it running well with that much oil in it? You'd have severe aeration issues with the oil up to the drat crank.

And I don't see how or why there would be an intentional oil passage drilled in the crank to get to that area of the flange, either.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RandomPauI posted:

How long would the car had to have been dragged on the road for it to get like that?

Quite a while. And I've seen several like that. They are usually "toads", i.e. a vehicle flat-towed behind an RV. Something goes wrong and it's impossible to see unless you have a rear facing camera.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Motronic posted:

Quite a while. And I've seen several like that. They are usually "toads", i.e. a vehicle flat-towed behind an RV. Something goes wrong and it's impossible to see unless you have a rear facing camera.

I think RV owners are incapable of noticing anything around them. Last month we were following one of those monster rolling homes who's tow bar hadn't been stowed properly and was dragging on the asphalt. 20+ miles of people flashing headlights and honking horns trying to alert them and they still didn't get off the road. They never reacted at all.

Eventually I turned onto another road so as far as I know they spent the whole day slowly filing the thing down.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sudo Echo posted:

:stonk:

I think this might be the best page in this thread; any one of those stands out on its own.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

xzzy posted:

I think RV owners are incapable of noticing anything around them. Last month we were following one of those monster rolling homes who's tow bar hadn't been stowed properly and was dragging on the asphalt. 20+ miles of people flashing headlights and honking horns trying to alert them and they still didn't get off the road. They never reacted at all.

Eventually I turned onto another road so as far as I know they spent the whole day slowly filing the thing down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZFCHk1XCDY
RV driver drags truck for 6 miles with it in park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrn3Yb3L_iU <--loud volume warning
Not an RV or necessarily a mechanical failure but it is entertaining

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

We had something fail in the steering system on our Jeep Liberty "toad" once which caused it to fail to return to center and just drag the front wheels along aimed to one side. We were flagged down by other RVers a mile or two down the road, but you're entirely right that behind a 13 ton Freightliner with a Cat torquing everything along you just can't notice anything. Even with the rear camera on and the microphone turned up it just sounded like slightly louder than usual road noise.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Biscuit Joiner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZFCHk1XCDY
RV driver drags truck for 6 miles with it in park

:magical:

The sheer degree of willful stupidity present there is astounding. I can almost, ALMOST see not realizing it's in park (although that is something I would double loving check just to be sure) but after seeing the damage done and still deciding its ok to keep towing as it is? :wtc: This is why I think RV's should require at least a class B commercial license.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Horrible mechanic failure.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sudo Echo posted:

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S4cldkdCjE&t=71s

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

xzzy posted:

I think RV owners are incapable of noticing anything around them.

Watched a guy in what had to be a $200k RV with Florida plate rolling down to the cape towing a Mercedes GL63 AMG flat behind the RV. Now i bet that the GL is not intended to be neutral towed. Somehow they left the tailgate open on the GL as well, and whatever luggage was left inside was finding its way onto the highway. Completely ignores everyone around him all the way from Braintree to Plymouth.

RV drivers are loving morons.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

kastein posted:

Put the Ford 300 I6 on the list too from what I hear. Hell, most 7-main iron I6s qualify.

From what I heard, the Ford 300I6 would outlive the Jeep 4.0's during the engine destruction part of that whole Cash for Clunkers mess years back.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That last one was apparently only 3 miles.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Atmus posted:

From what I heard, the Ford 300I6 would outlive the Jeep 4.0's during the engine destruction part of that whole Cash for Clunkers mess years back.

Somebody should set up a junkyard I6 grudge match and see which one reigns supreme. My personal bet is the old Mopar slant-6, those things are unkillable.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Boat posted:

Somebody should set up a junkyard I6 grudge match and see which one reigns supreme. My personal bet is the old Mopar slant-6, those things are unkillable.

If we're doing junkyard matches, can I suggest another one: Get a cheap car and replace all fluids with Lucas products (and nothing else), run it, and see what happens.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The Ford 2.3 or whatever other versions of the Lima engine seem to last forever too. I've heard or several Rangers with over 400k on the original engine. I've got 250k on mine and it still runs exactly the same as it did when I got it at 90k. Slow and leaky. I'm hoping for another 150k of slow and leaky life before I have to replace it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

revmoo posted:

Bah. Weaklings

This was a rear main seal job that I did a while back.

I don't know too much about things, what am I looking at here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't know too much about things, what am I looking at here?

Block of wood is holding up the engine as they had to remove the things that attach the engine to the car