Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

is Allen Gregory the one with the gay parents where one raped the other into gayness? Because holy poo poo I'm surprised that got past the pitch.

It was and I am very angry to be reminded of it here or anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Drawn Together was an abomination that should never have existed. Panty and Stocking is pretty drat funny if you go in expecting R-rated Powerpuff Girls with an anime bent.

redcheval posted:

Funnily I kind of agree, but I just love the way that it looks. I'm also incredibly jazzed to see what Glen Keane is up to these days. Maybe it's just me but after Disney gutted its animation department it's always really exciting to see legends like Keane still working in 2D.

Yeah, same here. I love his work and it's always cool to see animation in that sort of sketch-book mode. The shapes are beautiful. Story is a little basic but that's not really a bad thing.

I really miss traditional animation. Tangled and Frozen were great movies, but I don't know if that style will every have the same visual impact that say, The Lion King's color pallet does on me. It's a different kind of art. (And that's not to take away from say, the lantern scene because it's gorgeous.)

mistaya fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 29, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Robindaybird posted:

is Allen Gregory the one with the gay parents where one raped the other into gayness? Because holy poo poo I'm surprised that got past the pitch.

There was also a running gag that the school superintendent had raped Allen's homeroom teacher. That's it, there's nothing more to the joke than 'a woman was raped by a person in a position of power over her' and you're supposed to think it's funny.

Never watch Allen Gregory.

Das Boo posted:

Allen Gregory.
Alle- -gory.

Never seen the show, but is there a reason for that?

No. Nothing on Allen Gregory was that clever. Nothing on Allen Gregory existed for a reason.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Invictus posted:

Are you one of those GBSian goons who automatically thinks anime can never be good and such, or are you willing to give something a chance before making GBS threads all over it? Because PSG is pretty fantastic. It was inspired by Drawn Together insomuch as the guys who came up with the idea saw a couple episodes of DT and said "holy poo poo, I can't believe they're allowed to air this sort of thing on TV in America!" and decided to push the envelope with a tv-aired anime as well. Except, you know, good.

It shits all over otaku, the humor is great and crude as hell(and knows it), the animation is extremely stylized and can be incredible at times(while being ridiculously framey at others), the main characters are really strong and entertaining, too. The soundtrack is outstanding as well. If you're not okay with sexual humor then skip it, but otherwise it's a really fun self-aware romp that takes the piss out of both anime and western cartoons. Also, the dub voice actresses/actors had an absolute blast doing it.

I also really like its use of onomatopoeia.

All I'm seeing here is the Equestria Girls version of Twilight Sparkle and an off-model Gir. Is that intentional?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

Someone did not see the televised abomination that was Allen Gregory, which is on the short list of "worst thing I've ever sat through multiple episodes of".

I try to keep healthy

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

lelandjs posted:

All I'm seeing here is the Equestria Girls version of Twilight Sparkle and an off-model Gir. Is that intentional?

PSG came out right at the same time as the new MLP and is way older than Equestria Girls, which is something that's in my Google search history now and I'm going to have to live with that forever. As far as the Invader Zim reference/parody, yes, that's intentional.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 29, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Travis343 posted:

PSG came out right at the same time as the new MLP and is way older than Equestria Girls, which is something that's in my Google search history now and I'm going to have to live with that forever. As far as the Invader Zim reference/parody, yes, that's intentional.

Yeah, sorry about that. I just assumed that most animation fans had at least a passing knowledge of most animated TV shows and stuff. I found out about EG from a "friend" of a friend who is a brony. I avoid him at all costs for obvious reasons.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Captain Invictus posted:

Are you one of those GBSian goons who automatically thinks anime can never be good and such, or are you willing to give something a chance before making GBS threads all over it? Because PSG is pretty fantastic. It was inspired by Drawn Together insomuch as the guys who came up with the idea saw a couple episodes of DT and said "holy poo poo, I can't believe they're allowed to air this sort of thing on TV in America!" and decided to push the envelope with a tv-aired anime as well. Except, you know, good.

It shits all over otaku, the humor is great and crude as hell(and knows it), the animation is extremely stylized and can be incredible at times(while being ridiculously framey at others), the main characters are really strong and entertaining, too. The soundtrack is outstanding as well. If you're not okay with sexual humor then skip it, but otherwise it's a really fun self-aware romp that takes the piss out of both anime and western cartoons. Also, the dub voice actresses/actors had an absolute blast doing it.

I also really like its use of onomatopoeia.

You're getting all weird and defensive about an anime named after women's undergarments that you claim "inspired by Drawn Together" as a plus, and somehow I'm the "GBSian goon" here.

I'm a bit wary of wacky comedy anime after people here talked up Space Dandy and loving Super Milk Chan of all things.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Someone did not see the televised abomination that was Allen Gregory, which is on the short list of "worst thing I've ever sat through multiple episodes of".

How on Earth did you get through multiple episodes of that show, just seeing the promos was enough to make me never want to see more of it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 29, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

You're getting all weird and defensive about an anime named after women's undergarments that you claim "inspired by Drawn Together" as a plus, and somehow I'm the "GBSian goon" here.

I'm a bit wary of wacky comedy anime after people here talked up Space Dandy and loving Super Milk Chan of all things.

At least Shin Chan was a good Chan show.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

How on Earth did you get through multiple episodes of that show, just seeing the promos was enough to make me never want to see more of it.

TVIV is filled with people with more time than sense, and I'm one of those people. It was fun to watch the show alongside others and marvel that something like this was not only made, but had a 13 episode season ordered and produced by a national television network.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Yoshifan823 posted:

TVIV is filled with people with more time than sense, and I'm one of those people. It was fun to watch the show alongside others and marvel that something like this was not only made, but had a 13 episode season ordered and produced by a national television network.

Especially because they had just struck gold with Bob's Burgers. Then the next thing they made was Allen Gregory, followed by the Napoleon Dynamite cartoon that came half a decade after people stopped caring about Napoleon Dynamite.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

raditts posted:

GBSian goon as in if the word "anime" is mentioned anywhere you recoil in horror. It was more that if I ever suggest someone give something a watch/read like Legend of the Galactic Heroes(one of the best sci-fi series ever made) or something and just because it originates from Japan it's poo poo for pedophiles. If you're not the type, then that's good and I apologize.

Is Space Dandy not good? I haven't watched any anime in a while and haven't seen anything in the last few seasons. Milk Chan was crap, though, I'll give you that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

raditts posted:

What's wrong with Space Dandy? I didn't like PSG because the animation is sort of lovely and it's purposefully disgusting to a point where I feel it's actively detrimental to the show, but it's still pretty funny and well written. It's essentially what would happen if the guy who made Ren and Stimpy decided to make episodes of Powerpuff Girls

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Let's not start sperging over anime, please.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Especially because they had just struck gold with Bob's Burgers. Then the next thing they made was Allen Gregory, followed by the Napoleon Dynamite cartoon that came half a decade after people stopped caring about Napoleon Dynamite.

Oh so I didn't dream that Napoleon Dynamite cartoon up? That was a thing that happened?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Franz von Dada posted:

you're posting in a thread dedicated to sperging about anime

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Oh so I didn't dream that Napoleon Dynamite cartoon up? That was a thing that happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipPsnnnTyOw

It really wasn't bad, it was just inexplicable and pointless. Especially compared to Allen Gregory, whose awfulness is magnified by the fact that it was Jonah Hill's vanity project and he spent so much time hyping it and himself up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Captain Invictus posted:

GBSian goon as in if the word "anime" is mentioned anywhere you recoil in horror. It was more that if I ever suggest someone give something a watch/read like Legend of the Galactic Heroes(one of the best sci-fi series ever made) or something and just because it originates from Japan it's poo poo for pedophiles. If you're not the type, then that's good and I apologize.

Is Space Dandy not good? I haven't watched any anime in a while and haven't seen anything in the last few seasons. Milk Chan was crap, though, I'll give you that.

I guess it's not bad, like the animation is good and weird and interesting and feels like something out of a P-Funk video, but I feel like the humor is very Japanese-oriented and monkeycheese and it didn't translate well for me. I was probably extra disappointed because all I heard about it before seeing it was that it was made by the same guys who made Cowboy Bebop and aside from having space as a setting they are not alike at all.

icantfindaname posted:

What's wrong with Space Dandy? I didn't like PSG because the animation is sort of lovely and it's purposefully disgusting to a point where I feel it's actively detrimental to the show, but it's still pretty funny and well written. It's essentially what would happen if the guy who made Ren and Stimpy decided to make episodes of Powerpuff Girls

Original Ren & Stimpy, post-Spumco Ren & Stimpy, or Spike TV Ren & Stimpy?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, sorry about that. I just assumed that most animation fans had at least a passing knowledge of most animated TV shows and stuff. I found out about EG from a "friend" of a friend who is a brony. I avoid him at all costs for obvious reasons.

I found out about EG because Netflix thinks I should watch it and it's in every category somehow. I knew it was a pretty new phenomenon but I had to Google when the new MLP came out.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Franz von Dada posted:

Yeah let's go back to sperging over cartoons.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

raditts posted:

I guess it's not bad, like the animation is good and weird and interesting and feels like something out of a P-Funk video, but I feel like the humor is very Japanese-oriented and monkeycheese and it didn't translate well for me. I was probably extra disappointed because all I heard about it before seeing it was that it was made by the same guys who made Cowboy Bebop and aside from having space as a setting they are not alike at all.

Original Ren & Stimpy, post-Spumco Ren & Stimpy, or Spike TV Ren & Stimpy?

I would say the writing is about on par with Kricfalusi's but is considerably grosser, probably somewhere in between the original and the Spike TV version. I'm not a huge fan of it but it has some good moments, it's a shitload better than stuff like Allan Gregory or Drawn Together and you can reasonably compare it to Ren and Stimpy, though not as good IMO. It just feels sort of cheap and low budget. The story behind it is that Gainax's staff decided to make it as a joke while drunk in a hottub. It's much better than you would expect, but still. If you do watch it you should watch both the sub and the dub, they essentially rewrote the entire script because none of the jokes translate into English, and the dub script is somehow just as good as the original.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 30, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Captain Invictus posted:

Space Dandy is fantastic if you go into it with the right mindset. It's fun, beautifully animated (each episode has a different animation director so you get a lot of cool styles), and occasionally thought provoking. Just don't except it to always take itself seriously (the main characters all die in about half the episodes)or have a dramatic plot.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Calling someone who doesn't like anime "GBSian" suggests that they haven't looked at GBS in a long while. Which is probably also, good for your health.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Hat Thoughts posted:

Calling someone who doesn't like anime "GBSian" suggests that they haven't looked at GBS in a long while. Which is probably also, good for your health.

No, you see, they have hundreds of gigabytes of anime on their hard drives, constantly reference anime in every discussion and purchased anime avatars for themselves ironically.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sometimes it's legitimately hard to tell. It seems like people get that caught up in irony.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Irish Joe posted:

No, you see, they have hundreds of gigabytes of anime on their hard drives, constantly reference anime in every discussion and purchased anime avatars for themselves ironically.

Ah yes, I mean pre-GBS2.0ian. :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Space Dandy is fantastic if you go into it with the right mindset. It's fun, beautifully animated (each episode has a different animation director so you get a lot of cool styles), and occasionally thought provoking. Just don't except it to always take itself seriously (the main characters all die in about half the episodes)or have a dramatic plot.
Season 2 looks pretty amazing btw

And if I had to recommend a season 1 episode I have to go with the Zombie one

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Wait, so who wrote/made Allen Gregory and why are they still working? How is garbage like that okay?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Wait, so who wrote/made Allen Gregory and why are they still working? How is garbage like that okay?

It was Jonah Hill's baby.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

It was Jonah Hill's baby.

He has since been nominated for two acting Oscars.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He was funny as Lego Green Lantern :shobon:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Corek posted:

He has since been nominated for two acting Oscars.

Both of which he deserved the nominations for, the latter probably deserving a win.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ugh. I feel dirty, I actually cracked up at a dumb pun in the Planes 2 Trailer.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Robindaybird posted:

Ugh. I feel dirty, I actually cracked up at a dumb pun in the Planes 2 Trailer.

Pickup Trucks? Yeah that's actually kinda funny.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Pickup Trucks? Yeah that's actually kinda funny.

As much disdain as I have for the Planes series, I love jokes making fun of objectively terrible people such as PUAs, so I laugh.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Late to this discussion but Panty and Stocking kind of violently went between being brilliant and being absolutely awful. It also brutally made fun of anime while also just sort of doing the things it was making fun of. It was an odd series that, as was mentioned, at the very least has the best most trollish ending ever.

The only episode I ever really go back to is the Seinfeld inspired one though.

Unrelated, this apparently exists and looks amazingly ugly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbXEKZVonko&t=27s

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 2, 2014

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah it really is, I don't know why they couldn't have gone with a style closer to the games - the hyper-realistic style they went for just looks kind of unsettling.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It amazes me how the series has an already established style and they decide to make it realistic looking. I guess they want to show off their skills but goddamn does Bentley and Murray look really loving weird.

Especially being able to see Bentley's eyes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly shudder to think what Carmelita is going to look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Trailer for the new Ghibli film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCAjMGl1mJg

I'm honestly not even slightly excited for this and I have no idea why

• Locked thread