Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The movie's point is that lies are necessary.

It's literally the worst reference you can make.

That's not the point of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

precision posted:

Why would anyone ever do this, he's one of the only actually interesting posters on the entire forum.

Probably because most of CD is insufferable if you don't have him on ignore. At least it's barely readable if you don't have to read that poster's played-out nonsensical ramblings posing as superior analysis. That gimmick run its course long ago. It's baffling people still reply seriously to him and it's literally in every thread in the forum.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wandle Cax posted:

most of CD is insufferable

Let's just trim that post down to brass tacks

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey you fuckers, y'all were so busy slobbering over the knobs of dumb dramas with dumb openings that are dumb that you forgot what may well be the objective Best TV Openings Of All Time (in order):

1. All in the Family
2. Cheers
3. The Brady Bunch
4. Gilligan's Island
End List

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
SuperMechaGodzilla is smarter than anyone else in that subforum though? By a really long way?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

SuperMechaGodzilla is smarter than anyone else in that subforum though? By a really long way?

Who's smarter, the guy who spends hours looking for hidden penises in comic book movies or the guy who doesn't loving care?

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 2, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All are better than No Wave, the actual worst poster.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bown posted:

Except he's just Irish Joe but takes longer.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IRQ posted:

Except he's just Irish Joe but takes longer.

And with the added annoyance of his posts being taken seriously by a good number of people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No the worst part is everything will be going fine and dandy and then he shows up and posts a thing and then for the rest of the thread you have half the posts telling him to gently caress off and die, the other half trying to jump on and ape his gimmick and the other half quoting him and saying ":allears:" and then a fourth separate half having a meta discussion about his posts and there's 10 pages of that poo poo.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I was literally sitting at my desk at work today and thinking "I'm gonna ask TV couch chat what ever happened to American Gods tonight" and I come home to this news.

Fuller and Green is cool news too.

But Starz? Eeesh. That concerns me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Starz did Spartacus mate.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just bought American Gods like two days ago but haven't started on it. I should probably get to reading it after hearing about this.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
So you can lord your book learning over the uneducated plebes in the show thread? Typical TVIV elitism.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gaiman is a Gurm apologist. He will be first against the wall.

(I couldn't get into American Gods, maybe the show will work better.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Supernatural already did it better.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MrAristocrates posted:

I just bought American Gods like two days ago but haven't started on it. I should probably get to reading it after hearing about this.
Don't have your mom read it, because you'll have to deal with her wondering what you are reading.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
SuperMechaGodzilla is loving amazing. It's ProfessorClumsy who's the idiot. The former looks at 2005 War of the Worlds and talks about how its lack of proper focus symbolizes the incomprehensible nature of the Holocaust. The latter sees building explode and shouts about 9/11.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 2, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That may be the reason I have both on ignore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

War of the Worlds is cheating, every Spielberg movie is about the Holocaust.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

SuperMechaGodzilla is loving amazing. It's ProfessorClumsy who's the idiot. The former looks at 2005 War of the Worlds and talks about how its lack of proper focus symbolizes the incomprehensible nature of the Holocaust. The latter sees building explode and shouts about 9/11.

You and me have had our differences but I agree with you on this. That forum was the worst it's ever been with that guy modding it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hahaha I just saw that OSG is a CD mod also.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

War of the Worlds is cheating, every Spielberg movie is about the Holocaust.

:aaaaa:

Hammond is Hitler, Nedry is Rudolf Hess, Muldoon is Himmler, Grant and Ellie are France and Italy and the dinosaurs are Jews. My god, it all fits!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Sometimes I look at SMG and see a smart guy who offers up interesting, relevant film analysis. Sometimes I see a pompous rear end who's determined to prove himself the smartest guy in the room, which is always going to be a danger when you commit to such a unique point of view with your criticism.

One thing I can agree with, though, is that he'd be a thousand times more tolerable if half the forum didn't try to follow him down his rabbit hole. There's two, maybe three other people that I can sense are operating at his level; everybody else who tries it is so loving bad at it that they freeze any productive conversation and debate over poo poo that doesn't matter.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 2, 2014

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Gaiman and Speilberg are both second-rate talents.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
American Gods may be Gaiman's weakest novel but the show should be fun enough to watch. And at least the novel's existence got us to Anansi Boys, which is just a fun read.

e: to be clear, I love Neil Gaiman, but I tried to re-read AG one time and I was like "ehhhhhh" and I am a crazy person who has re-read Stephenson's Baroque Cycle twice

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why do people bold the titles of stuff. CD's got that guy who puts the release year after every movie he talks about.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

Why do people bold the titles of stuff. CD's got that guy who puts the release year after every movie he talks about.

Distinction I presume, and the release year is handy sometimes for films like Robocop where there have been two with the same name.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Aphrodite posted:

Supernatural already did it better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cool kids inc. posted:

Distinction I presume, and the release year is handy sometimes for films like Robocop where there have been two with the same name.

Every. Single. Movie. Every. Single. Time. Jurassic Park (1993).

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

Every. Single. Movie. Every. Single. Time. Jurassic Park (1994).

I didn't say it made sense, just offering a possibility. Maybe they're just really used to citing things?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Why do people bold the titles of stuff.

For people who skim threads. It's a minor convenience and I never understood why people get mad about it. :shrug:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, the real reason SMG is so annoying is that the rush of people trying to prove they're smart by being contrarian and doing lovely freshman "analysis" makes it really hard to actually discuss a movie on any other wavelength.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 2, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Stop bitching about other posters in this thread. Thanks.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
deleted

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Let me tell you what I think of that Deadpool poster

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

:aaaaa:

Hammond is Hitler, Nedry is Rudolf Hess, Muldoon is Himmler, Grant and Ellie are France and Italy and the dinosaurs are Jews. My god, it all fits!
Wait until you figure out Schindler's List.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

precision posted:

American Gods may be Gaiman's weakest novel but the show should be fun enough to watch. And at least the novel's existence got us to Anansi Boys, which is just a fun read.

e: to be clear, I love Neil Gaiman, but I tried to re-read AG one time and I was like "ehhhhhh" and I am a crazy person who has re-read Stephenson's Baroque Cycle twice

Good Omens is the best because Pratchett and Gaiman cancel out each other's worst tendencies. Also, it's really rare to have two writers with strong artistic visions collaborate on a novel, and even rarer for it to actually work.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Spatula City posted:

Good Omens is the best because Pratchett and Gaiman cancel out each other's worst tendencies. Also, it's really rare to have two writers with strong artistic visions collaborate on a novel, and even rarer for it to actually work.

Reading Good Omens is funny because you can almost perfectly tell which characters are Gaiman's and which are Pratchett's because Pratchett's characters have a sense of humor and nuance to them while Gaiman's horsemen are all super cool and badass and evil and totally boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

If you haven't watched this show yet you should go do it.

• Locked thread