Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

KillHour posted:

Why wouldn't you do the 2530 over the 2910/2920? They're cheaper, and he didn't say anything about routing.

No reason other than that's what I'm familiar with and I haven't looked at the newer ones. We switched to Juniper for most of our stuff a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Cavepimp posted:

No reason other than that's what I'm familiar with and I haven't looked at the newer ones. We switched to Juniper for most of our stuff a while back.

Sorry for going wired instead of wireless here, but how hard was the jump to Juniper from HP? We're planning to replace our HP 2810s and 2650s and while we've had great experiences with them, we're also eyeing Juniper's stuff...

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

McGlockenshire posted:

Sorry for going wired instead of wireless here, but how hard was the jump to Juniper from HP? We're planning to replace our HP 2810s and 2650s and while we've had great experiences with them, we're also eyeing Juniper's stuff...

I said this in a random irc channel today, apropos of nothing:

<@aquila> goddamn working with junos configuration is a pleasure
<@aquila> show configuration system |display set
<@aquila> why yes, please tell me exactly how to do it, thanks

I'm of the opinion that the ex4200 may be the best midrange switch on the market right now. Just avoid the ex2200 (non poe) like the plague.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aquila posted:

I'm of the opinion that the ex4200 may be the best midrange switch on the market right now. Just avoid the ex2200 (non poe) like the plague.

Are they poo poo because they don't have PoE, or are they just poo poo?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Caged posted:

Are they poo poo because they don't have PoE, or are they just poo poo?

ex2200 non poe has like a 100%+ failure rate. ex2200 poe has a fan and general is as reliable as other juniper gear (very).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I've only worked with junos a very little bit but it basically was the best CLI I've ever used.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Aquila posted:

You can also do a 'load merge' (there's a couple options in there depending on if you want it to be a relative or absolute merge) and paste in stanzas just as they show up in the config.

I tend to like writing configs that way since it can save me a lot of typing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Speaking of switches, who wants to be the first to see how Ubiquiti do them?

http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgeswitch/

:q:

If it's anything like their other products, half the features on the spec sheet haven't been implemented yet, and you can't actually buy them.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

McGlockenshire posted:

The transition wasn't bad at all, and I'm more of a server guy than network. The Junipers are fantastic so far.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Caged posted:

If it's anything like their other products, half the features on the spec sheet haven't been implemented yet, and you can't actually buy them.
Layer three switch that doesn't support any routing protocols? HELL YEAH!

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Caged posted:

Speaking of switches, who wants to be the first to see how Ubiquiti do them?

http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgeswitch/

:q:

The 48-port ones with the 10GbE uplinks are now on my short list for my edges to complement those sweet Junipers recommended above.

Once pricing is out. Oh, and the devices. And warranty information.

I really really really want to love Ubiquiti...

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

McGlockenshire posted:

The 48-port ones with the 10GbE uplinks are now on my short list for my edges to complement those sweet Junipers recommended above.

Once pricing is out. Oh, and the devices. And warranty information.

I really really really want to love Ubiquiti...

Pricing is out, just click on a reseller link:
http://www.microcom.us/browse-by-brand--ubiquiti-networks.html

$400 - 24x 250W
$550 - 24x 500W
$800 - 48x 500W
$1000 - 48x 750W

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Yes but how do they compare to the MikroTik CLOUD ROUTER SWITCH?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I got my three ap Meraki demo going just now and drat, so far it's pretty sweet. Cloud managementy type thing is better than Aerohive and so far performance is reported to be better than our existing Aruba system.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
I'm looking to wire up our new office that is under construction with gigabit ethernet. What would you guys recommend as a solid 48 port switch? I could also go for two 24 port switches if that's somehow advantageous.

For network load, the best comparison I can think of is 20 old ladies browsing the internet. I'm thinking of pairing whatever switch(es) with an Edgerouter Lite, which I assume should be sufficient.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

HP 2530-48G is a decent shout. You'll struggle to go far wrong with an HP, Cisco or a Juniper that has the right number of ports at the right speed. Although the EX2200 without PoE is apparently problematic

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Why not go with Ubuquiti's EdgeSwitch and stick with all Ubiquiti? Sounds like use will be low.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just don't trust Ubiquiti to be able to get a product right the first time round, they are too new for enough feedback to come back about them.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Ubiquiti Edgeswitches seem new enough that I can't find any for sale. If they pop up within a month or so I guess I can throw them into the consideration pool.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I just don't trust Ubiquiti to be able to get a product right the first time round, they are too new for enough feedback to come back about them.
That's why I'm trying to get a chump to test them out :ssh:

Also, it's 20 old ladies browsing the internet. Even if that wasn't the literal use case, it sounds like something that a consumer switch would work for, and I'm sure the EdgeSwitch is better than a consumer switch.

Having said that, I've had good experiences with ProCurves, so I'll vote HP too if not Ubuiquiti.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Erwin posted:

That's why I'm trying to get a chump to test them out :ssh:

Also, it's 20 old ladies browsing the internet. Even if that wasn't the literal use case, it sounds like something that a consumer switch would work for, and I'm sure the EdgeSwitch is better than a consumer switch.

Having said that, I've had good experiences with ProCurves, so I'll vote HP too if not Ubuiquiti.

By consumer switches, do you mean a cheapo TP-LINK or NETGEAR 48 port switch I can grab off of Amazon for less than $500? I figured they were cheap because they were more unreliable, but if it's just because they can't handle a large load I think I would be okay.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lolcano Eruption posted:

By consumer switches, do you mean a cheapo TP-LINK or NETGEAR 48 port switch I can grab off of Amazon for less than $500? I figured they were cheap because they were more unreliable, but if it's just because they can't handle a large load I think I would be okay.

From the sounds of your first post, something like that will fit your needs (unmanaged switch). If you were doing something like VoIP handsets and workstations, then a managed switch would be desired.

My old job had a bunch of unmanaged netgear 48 ports switches when I started there. They worked fine for a simple use case like that.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Moey posted:

From the sounds of your first post, something like that will fit your needs (unmanaged switch). If you were doing something like VoIP handsets and workstations, then a managed switch would be desired.

My old job had a bunch of unmanaged netgear 48 ports switches when I started there. They worked fine for a simple use case like that.

Oh, so if we also are going to have 20 IP phones, I should probably get a managed switch.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Oh, so if we also are going to have 20 IP phones, I should probably get a managed switch.

They will most likely be powered by PoE. Best practices will be to put them on their own VLAN as well so you can do QoS on it.

I am really fond of Juniper gear. Meraki switches are really nice as well, but have the price tag (and support costs) to prove it.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I recently spent a bit of time with some older bluesocket bsap gear, and for what it is, its pretty capable. I ran 5 bsap 1700 a/b/g AP with a bsap-2100 controller at a LAN, for $200 for the lot. Their virtual controller and new ApS just may be a good option for small deployments.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you want IP phones then get a PoE switch that supports the voice VLAN, so you don't have to touch the phones at all to provision them.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I've had good experiences with the HP v1910 series. They're really capable switches, and there's a secret (not so secret) incantation to unlock the full CLI and basically turn one into a much-higher-priced A5120. Great bang for the buck.

Edit: Also, HP's lifetime NBD warranty rules. They shipped me a replacement Next-Day-Air with delivery by 10:30am.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I think I am done messing around with Ubiquiti AP's for the time being- At least the AC and Pro version. I have three here in our main office and support can't seem to help me resolve our Apple products connectivity issues. I switched to the AC's in hopes it was better- but they seem to fail every month. The units start dropping connections and eventually power down and refuse to restart- I end up having to unmount them, leave them unplugged for a few hours, and reset them. I'm wishing I had kept the original Unifi's at this point.

Recommendations for a non-cloud based access point?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Switches: used juniper ex4200 for life. I'm just going to throw props to forum user m@ at Express Computer Systems and recommend you buy them from him. If all PoE ones are too expensive then the Netgear 752TP is like $650 new for 48 ports of PoE (8 PoE plus) with basic web management. I use these in my office currently to power plenty of poe phones and they just work, but don't do anything fancy.

As for "the spyder" what kind of application are we talking about, how many ap's, and what kind of budget. You should keep in mind that most high end ap's are going to cloud managed, so that's what you'd get with Meraki and Aerohive and maybe Aruba. I personally run a 12 ap controller based Aruba network with about 100 Macbook users and have no major problems. I've never had an aruba ap fail on me. I get what I think are a small rate of reports of wifi problems, so I'm gonna say it's pretty drat good. That being said I'm testing a 3 AP Meraki system and it costs about the same as Aruba and the management is sooooooooooo much better. So far it's also working pretty much flawlessly with our all Apple environment.

e: cause this is kinda the enterprise it network equipment thread lately (and I'm ok with that) has anyone used Palo Alto Networks firewalls for office environments? Are they worth the like ~10x cost increase over an SRX or ASA?

Aquila fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 25, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the spyder posted:

I think I am done messing around with Ubiquiti AP's for the time being- At least the AC and Pro version. I have three here in our main office and support can't seem to help me resolve our Apple products connectivity issues. I switched to the AC's in hopes it was better- but they seem to fail every month. The units start dropping connections and eventually power down and refuse to restart- I end up having to unmount them, leave them unplugged for a few hours, and reset them. I'm wishing I had kept the original Unifi's at this point.

Try the Cisco WAP561 or 371. Same price points as UniFi, cluster for managing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just cut over to Palo Altos. If you have any need for visibility into your internet traffic, you want them. They're also much more of an anti vulnerability device than an ASA.

Tldr YES

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

the spyder posted:

That sounds like bad APs to me, have they been swapped out at all? I have an office of only Apple products running on 2 AP ACs and several devices have a couple hundred days of uptime.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

I just cut over to Palo Altos. If you have any need for visibility into your internet traffic, you want them. They're also much more of an anti vulnerability device than an ASA.

Tldr YES

Wouldn't that make them more comparable to a Sonicwall or Fortinet, then?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

KillHour posted:

Wouldn't that make them more comparable to a Sonicwall or Fortinet, then?

Yes and they're way better than sonicwall, that's what i just ditched. The three companies in the class are PA, Checkpoint, and Fortinet.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Can I get some product recommendations?

We are growing a remote office, and I want to upgrade the ad-hoc every laptop has its own VPN with a proper site to site VPN. The main office firewall is currently a linux box, but replacing it with a dedicated appliance is an upgrade I've been looking into. Obviously, a single vendor for both ends would be best.

Remote site is 15 users and about 35 in the main office, 150/10 cable connectivity at both ends.

I need the site to site vpn, firewall/nat, and some ability to monitor and report on traffic. Remote management is required as well. :)

I also want to provide managed wireless at the remote location. I have some UnifiAP's in the main office, but I'm okay with either adding more and connecting to the current controller, or a different vendor with good remote/cloud management ability.

Anybody have any experience in this SMB usage bracket they can share?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EoRaptor posted:

We are growing a remote office, and I want to upgrade the ad-hoc every laptop has its own VPN with a proper site to site VPN. The main office firewall is currently a linux box, but replacing it with a dedicated appliance is an upgrade I've been looking into. Obviously, a single vendor for both ends would be best.

Site is 15 users at the remote office and about 35 in the main office, 150/10 cable connectivity at both ends.

I need the site to site vpn, firewall/nat, and some ability to monitor and report on traffic. Remote management is required as well. :)

I also want to provide managed wireless at the remote location. I have some UnifiAP's in the main office, but I'm okay with either adding more and connecting to the current controller, or a different vendor with good remote/cloud management ability.

Anybody have any experience in this SMB usage bracket they can share?

We've been very happy with all the Meraki gear we've touched, assuming you're fine staying on maintenance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you want to manage the access points from the same 'pane of glass' then Meraki is a decent shout, and setting the site-to-site VPN up is pretty much a one-click process.

Other options for just the UTM side of things are the Sophos/Astaro boxes with the RED thing for the network extension.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

EoRaptor posted:

Maneki Neko posted:

We've been very happy with all the Meraki gear we've touched, assuming you're fine staying on maintenance.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you want to manage the access points from the same 'pane of glass' then Meraki is a decent shout, and setting the site-to-site VPN up is pretty much a one-click process.

3rd'ing this. Grab Meraki.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Planning a major wifi overhaul here. Cost isn't really an object. Is there any reason to look at anything aside from ruckus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wwb posted:

Planning a major wifi overhaul here. Cost isn't really an object. Is there any reason to look at anything aside from ruckus?

Yes

• Locked thread