Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Spikeguy posted:

The Raw thread raised a question. Someone mentioned the WWE forgiving Jack Swagger for being a racist and how back in the day they forgave Sgt. Slaughter for siding with Iraq. Who/what actions do you think were forgiven the most by the WWE Universe? And by that I mean who has conducted the worst conduct only to turn face and have it forgiven later?

CM Punk poured the ashes of a recently deceased man onto his closest friend and still was getting cheered for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Bard Maddox posted:

CM Punk poured the ashes of a recently deceased man onto his closest friend and still was getting cheered for it.

Were we supposed to think those were Paul Bearer's ashes? I just assumed it was some dust or powder he'd gotten to screw with Taker. He'd had the urn for weeks and it was clearly empty most of the time he was goofing around with it.

In terms of instant heel forgiveness, the Dudley Boys were forgiven for a hell of a lot of torture they heaped on Spike Dudley pretty quickly when they turned face and he joined up with them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think the Fabs not reaching their Memphis popularity has a lot to do with the fact that they were an act that was big on pizazz. Which isn't to say they couldn't wrestle. Both Lane and Kern know what they were doing in the ring, especially Lane. But I don't think Verne was able (or willing, as we saw with Hogan), to play the glitz and glamour game when it came to promoting. I always assumed he had to be talked into stuff like the Rock N Rumble, and they probably only succeeded because he saw it was making WWE money.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Sanguinia posted:

Were we supposed to think those were Paul Bearer's ashes? I just assumed it was some dust or powder he'd gotten to screw with Taker. He'd had the urn for weeks and it was clearly empty most of the time he was goofing around with it.

They never said it was, but that was supposed to be the implication.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
What is the reason for the turnbuckle rope that tag team wrestlers have to hold onto in the corner. I know back in the day they didn't have it. Is it just a kayfabe rule?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Kukash posted:

What is the reason for the turnbuckle rope that tag team wrestlers have to hold onto in the corner. I know back in the day they didn't have it. Is it just a kayfabe rule?

Yes, to provide some semblance of order so they can't just make tags anywhere around the ring and structure the match around the WWE style hot tag

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

They came in around 2001-ish IIRC and they were never directly mentioned. I don't remember there being any issues about tagging in weird places before this. I thought they looked weird and cheap, why didn't they use an actual rope?

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

keithy george posted:

They came in around 2001-ish IIRC and they were never directly mentioned. I don't remember there being any issues about tagging in weird places before this. I thought they looked weird and cheap, why didn't they use an actual rope?

Maybe they disappeared for a while or no one bothered with them, because they were definitely around in the 80's and early 90's.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't it Eddie that did the spot where he tied an extra rope to the tag rope to make it longer?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Maybe they disappeared for a while or no one bothered with them, because they were definitely around in the 80's and early 90's.

That's exactly what happened.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TL posted:

That's exactly what happened.

That seemed to happen with a lot of rules during the Attitude era. I don't know if it was a desire to be more like ECW or it was Russo's "Why even have a ring?" philosophy, but things like disqualifications, countouts, etc basically didn't exist for a few years unless necessary for storyline purposes. How many main events included a "brawl through the crowd and backstage" segment with nobody getting counted out?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I have WWE network, I have Hulu. Where the hell can I watch a full, non-edited RAW?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

That DICK! posted:

I have WWE network, I have Hulu. Where the hell can I watch a full, non-edited RAW?

You can't without a cable sub or streaming it like a lot of us do. Links are always posted in the Raw GDT.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Off the back of my last question who are considered the wrestlers/ex-wrestlers that everyone should stay away from in terms of training, advice, being a genuine piece of human trash? I don't expect an exhaustive list but 3 or 4 wrestlers that should be given a wide berth in all circumstances.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't it Eddie that did the spot where he tied an extra rope to the tag rope to make it longer?

Eddie did do that. He would also untie the tag-rope and tie it to the top rope, then scoot out on the apron to get closer to his partner for a potential tag.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ultragonk posted:

Off the back of my last question who are considered the wrestlers/ex-wrestlers that everyone should stay away from in terms of training, advice, being a genuine piece of human trash? I don't expect an exhaustive list but 3 or 4 wrestlers that should be given a wide berth in all circumstances.

Ian Rotten is generally a considered a walking bag of garbage. Axl is a decent guy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ultragonk posted:

Ian Rotten has been screwing over workers for 20 years and New Jack is New Jack.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bobby Eaton and Terry Funk probably belong in that thread, but I understand that way of thinking

I've been watching a lot of old NWA/WCW on the network lately, and I don't really know why but I loving HATE Bobby Eaton.

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Eddie did do that. He would also untie the tag-rope and tie it to the top rope, then scoot out on the apron to get closer to his partner for a potential tag.

When I was a kid, I remember Ric Flair would drag his partner over closer to his corner to make the tag, and the announcers would flip their poo poo over "Flair with the illegal tag! The referee didn't see it!"

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 1, 2014

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

New Jack, Ian Rotten, Invader 1

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Spikeguy posted:

The Raw thread raised a question. Someone mentioned the WWE forgiving Jack Swagger for being a racist and how back in the day they forgave Sgt. Slaughter for siding with Iraq. Who/what actions do you think were forgiven the most by the WWE Universe? And by that I mean who has conducted the worst conduct only to turn face and have it forgiven later?

Undertaker, Kane, Triple H, Vince McMahon. All were cheered well after doing horrible poo poo.

Non-kayfabe, those select few idiots who think Benoit should be in the HoF despite his actions.

TL posted:

They never said it was, but that was supposed to be the implication.

No, Cole literally said the urn was "symbolic" several times. But still, he did interrupt the memorial segment.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I remember time when guys would use the rope to choke their opponent, but I haven't seen that in a long time.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

When Kane lost his mask he electrocuted Shane McMahon's balls, set JR on fire, and raped Lita.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Web Jew.0 posted:

When Kane lost his mask he electrocuted Shane McMahon's balls, set JR on fire, and raped Lita.
Sometimes I forget why I slowly stopped watching wrestling sometime between WM17 and WM19, and then posts like this remind me.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

St Evan Echoes posted:

Sometimes I forget why I slowly stopped watching wrestling sometime between WM17 and WM19, and then posts like this remind me.

Pfft, things like this are why Kane is my favourite wrestler

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

Shoulda been watching SmackDown instead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was too embarrassed to ask this in the past. Why was Koko B. Ware named Koko B. Ware? I own a parrot and a lovebird but I do not get whatever secret bird pun is contained in that name.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Halloween Jack posted:

I was too embarrassed to ask this in the past. Why was Koko B. Ware named Koko B. Ware? I own a parrot and a lovebird but I do not get whatever secret bird pun is contained in that name.

I just always thought they liked the "Beware" thing and that was that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
His name is Koko...and he has to beware that...I don't know, that Damien is going to eat Frankie? This is going to keep bothering me, isn't it?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Halloween Jack posted:

I vaguely remember an old Jake the Snake bit where he basically makes fun of how random Koko's bird gimmick is. This was way back when Jake was thin and not visibly high. So it never made sense.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Why did the WWF have a working relationship with the USWA in the 90s when they were trying to run every other territory/federation out of business?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Halloween Jack posted:

the kokobiwari was a small flightless bird from new zealand that is presumed to have gone extinct in the early 19th century

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ian Rotten has been screwing over workers for 20 years and New Jack is New Jack.

At least New Jack is donating his brain to science for concussion research. That is precisely One Point for New Jack, while Rotten has Zero Points.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I just assumed it was a pun on Kookaburra.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

At least New Jack is donating his brain to science for concussion research. That is precisely One Point for New Jack, while Rotten has Zero Points.

When they crack his skull open we will discover that his brain actually plays Natural Born Killaz all the time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Liar Lyre posted:

When they crack his skull open we will discover that his brain actually plays Natural Born Killaz all the time.

They'll also find a creamy nougat filling where his impulse control used to be.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Burt Buckle posted:

Why did the WWF have a working relationship with the USWA in the 90s when they were trying to run every other territory/federation out of business?

Jerry Lawler. And they used it as a sort of developmental territory.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Jerry Lawler. And they used it as a sort of developmental territory.

They also had a sort of talent exchange thing. So you'd see USWA guys win matches on USWA TV for a spot in the Royal Rumble. But also you'd see Bret and Owen work together in Memphis because they hate rednecks.

It's also where Vince first test-drove his Mr.McMahon character. You haven't lived until you've seen Vince do a credible Jim Nabors impression.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What did Ian Rotten do to make people mad at him?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Did we ever figure out if New Jack actually shot 3 people as a bounty hunter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did we ever figure out if New Jack actually shot 3 people as a bounty hunter?

I wanna ask Dave this, legit. And I believe it was 4.