Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

MrBims posted:

I regularly send out Engis with 4 HE grenade in b12. What version are you using?

b12 with the modified .upk that fixes the armor issue. I'm running a b9 campaign, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

The Sweetling posted:

b12 with the modified .upk that fixes the armor issue. I'm running a b9 campaign, though.

I'm running a b10 campaign which I upgraded to 11 and now 12 with the fix. My engineers have double nades functioning as expected.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

nutranurse posted:

No, use explosives. gently caress Dr. Vahlen, your grenades will save the lives of your soldiers and it's worth not getting some weapons fragments if it means your rookie upgrades into a semi-useful squaddie.

Chiming in late to also mention that explosives also do really useful things like open up the sides of buildings to reveal aliens you want everybody to be able to shoot at.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Hmm Ok I'll have to verify. If not, just scrap the campaign I guess.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Sweetling posted:

That'd be the source of any problems. B10 was a massive under-the-hood changes update, making it incompatible with earlier saves. 11 and 12 (plus hotfix) were patch/balance updates, and play nice with B10.

Also, at least one person was having trouble updating to the very latest version, so here's the full guide.

1: Install XCom: EW fresh. If needs be, uninstall it on Steam, then check that the Steam/Steamapps/Common/XCom directory has been deleted.
2: Run game once. Just to double check & initialize.
3: Download B12 and the .UPK hotfix file from Nexus
4: Install B12. It's all automated - there's nothing that could go wrong there.
5: Copy the .UPK file to your Steam/SteamApps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XEW/XComGame/CookedPCConsole directory. Overwrite.
6: Run Enemy Within once. It should crash - it does on first try every version for me - that's normal.

It's now installed. Enjoy! B12 seems to be one of the most stable and fleshed out releases yet. The changes to air combat and smoothing out EXALT and alien escalation have really made it a better game. It now starts easy and grows reasonably from there.

Edit: Once the next version is out (the devs are on vacation right now, so major updates are basically on hold til' then) the UPK override part of the install will be dropped, obviously.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 2, 2014

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So I just started my first Classic difficulty game. I'm certainly learning to let some soldiers die. How the gently caress are you supposed to play when you can only each half-covers and Hunker Down because 4 Sectoids are on Overwatch and you only have Rookies?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Be very slow and careful, don't fight from half cover, try to position yourself so that the enemy cannot get a shot off. Watch Beaglerush' ironman impossible videos for tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9zJE9GodMQ

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Samopsa posted:

Be very slow and careful, don't fight from half cover, try to position yourself so that the enemy cannot get a shot off. Watch Beaglerush' ironman impossible videos for tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9zJE9GodMQ

Also, sometimes it's just not safe to move forward. So move back, set up overwatch and let them come to you. The aliens wander and are programmed to hunt, rather than to defend, so you have the advantage if you can withdraw safely.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Furism posted:

So I just started my first Classic difficulty game. I'm certainly learning to let some soldiers die. How the gently caress are you supposed to play when you can only each half-covers and Hunker Down because 4 Sectoids are on Overwatch and you only have Rookies?
On classic? Grenade the bastards.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The Sweetling posted:

The Engineer grenadier ability only applies to damage-dealing grenades. Smoke and flashbang grenades don't get doubled but HE, AP and Alien grenades should.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

DStecks posted:

Really? Everybody's bitching about the ending and nobody's brought up that the final cutscene is literally just the Skyranger flies back to base? No epilogue of any kind, no "what happens next to humanity", no XCOM closing its doors, not even a Star Wars style medal presentation to the survivors, literally nothing. Not since KOTOR2 did a video game ending leave me feeling robbed, like XCOM's ending does.

Gonna be honest, that sucked, but for the most part XCOM's plot felt so uninteresting I didn't mind. It's not like, say, Deus Ex Human Revolution where I was actually into the plot until the dumb ending. In general XCOM's plot just wasn't too developed, like EXALT could...really have used a few more cutscenes to make us care about them more. Like there's stuff you can infer from them here and there, but in general it's just like "...Eh, whatever. Go mimetic operative, break every EXALT mission!"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, it was pretty sad. :effort:

Still, not quite up to the level of NWN2 for phenomenally bad endings. Rocks crush the party. The end.

:mad:

Oh god, don't remind me. "Oh, you've spent loving days playing this game? gently caress you, you die

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hopeford posted:

Gonna be honest, that sucked, but for the most part XCOM's plot felt so uninteresting I didn't mind. It's not like, say, Deus Ex Human Revolution where I was actually into the plot until the dumb ending. In general XCOM's plot just wasn't too developed, like EXALT could...really have used a few more cutscenes to make us care about them more. Like there's stuff you can infer from them here and there, but in general it's just like "...Eh, whatever. Go mimetic operative, break every EXALT mission!"

EXALT being anticlimactic is at least excusable by Firaxis having a non-existent cutscene budget on EW. I believe I read an interview where one of the devs said that they wanted to make a new intro cutscene, but all they had the budget for was a different quote.

IIRC, EU actually had a really tiny budget itself; which is why there's only four voiced characters (not counting the soldiers). Still, they could have at least had a medal presentation for the survivors of the final mission in Mission Control, or in the Officer Training School, since those assets both already exist and it wouldn't have been out of place there. And for anybody who whines "XCOM's story sucked anyway, I don't care~", the loving Civilization series has better epilogues than XCOM did.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
EU had quite a large budget, at least for Firaxis. It gotten eaten up with a large number of revisions to the battlescape that were in many cases scrapped completely.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Coolguye posted:

EU had quite a large budget, at least for Firaxis. It gotten eaten up with a large number of revisions to the battlescape that were in many cases scrapped completely.

You sure? I could have swore I read stuff to the effect that for the sales figures it did, it was really cheaply produced, and that Firaxis had to scrimp and save on everything they could.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

DStecks posted:

EXALT being anticlimactic is at least excusable by Firaxis having a non-existent cutscene budget on EW. I believe I read an interview where one of the devs said that they wanted to make a new intro cutscene, but all they had the budget for was a different quote.

IIRC, EU actually had a really tiny budget itself; which is why there's only four voiced characters (not counting the soldiers). Still, they could have at least had a medal presentation for the survivors of the final mission in Mission Control, or in the Officer Training School, since those assets both already exist and it wouldn't have been out of place there. And for anybody who whines "XCOM's story sucked anyway, I don't care~", the loving Civilization series has better epilogues than XCOM did.

Huh, didn't know about the non-existent budget thing. Yeah, that definitely explains a lot. It felt like they had some interesting ideas and never really expanded on the story at all, which I guess makes a lot of sense if they didn't have the budget for it. I mean it still sucks, but that definitely explains why they did it that way. And honestly, less whining and more "I can't even get upset at it." If you want to see me whining about xcom, ask me about how not-fun EXALT missions get after one or two attempts. That I'll whine over! I will whine over that forever! :argh:

But seriously, yeah, can't even defend the epilogue.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Hopeford posted:

If you want to see me whining about xcom, ask me about how not-fun EXALT missions get after one or two attempts. That I'll whine over! I will whine over that forever! :argh:

Extraction Mission. 25 EXALT operatives. All of them genemodded and with laser weapons. Lost half the squad, with two more stabilized with medkits. Hero Medic takes down the last three EXALT guys by himself.

Game crashes right after mission success.

gently caress EXALT, and gently caress dealing with them. If they want to make you hate them, they certainly succeeded.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I just started playing the Long War mod and I have a question.

I know the soldiers are supposed to be fatigued for a little while after a mission but my soldiers are all starting missions at one less than max health which causes them all to be wounded instead. Is this how the mechanic is supposed to work or did the install get messed up somehow?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Raip posted:

I just started playing the Long War mod and I have a question.

I know the soldiers are supposed to be fatigued for a little while after a mission but my soldiers are all starting missions at one less than max health which causes them all to be wounded instead. Is this how the mechanic is supposed to work or did the install get messed up somehow?

There is another file on the nexusmods downloads page, XComGame.upk, that you have to download and place in \Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\CookedPCConsole

It is a hotfix until the lead dev comes back from a vacation and can upload a new installer.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

But Not Tonight posted:

Alien Surgeries are items you recover from landed abductors/barges.

Got it, thanks!

Also, I'm totally strapped for cash in the third month of Long War. I have like 120 Meld that I have absolutely no use for atm. Should I be selling that poo poo to jumpstart my satellite network?? My cash per month is only like 300 and It's probably only gonna get lower.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone got a recommendation for a final squad member in Long War? I got two fireteams comprised of a sapper Engineer and Overwatch Infantryman, a Gunner, a Medic, and a Scout that I'm planning to MEC-anize. I want one more MEC on the team, so what class should I go for?

Right now I'm thinking either an Assault/Marauder for tanking and close combat, but a Rocketeer/Archer for more AOE sounds good too.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I'm done loving with the Large UFOs that land month 1 in Long War.

This time I tried keeping my entire squad outside of the ship save for a scout. I take down a pod of Chryssalids and then send the scout into the ship. Scout activates a pod of 4 floaters and runs back outside. On the enemy turn the floaters show up along with -SURPRISE- 4 Chryssalids from nowhere (led by a Chryssalid commander, so every overwatch shot misses) and they all run into contact with my squad members the same turn they appeared, cutting them off from the Skyranger.

I should've had the rocketeer fire one off at her own feet and then finished them (and her) off with grenades- instead I was able to kill 2 and get the other 2 down to 3 hps apiece. Red Fog doesn't affect Chryssalids apparently because they murdered the rocketeer and another soldier on their next turn and then 4 zombies (2 birthed from my dead soldiers, 2 who followed the Chryssalids out of the ship) finished the rest.

gently caress that ship. I'm sure there were a couple more pods of Chryssalids and a gang of pilots waiting for me further in, too.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Dr. Carwash posted:

Got it, thanks!

Also, I'm totally strapped for cash in the third month of Long War. I have like 120 Meld that I have absolutely no use for atm. Should I be selling that poo poo to jumpstart my satellite network?? My cash per month is only like 300 and It's probably only gonna get lower.

You can always recover missing countries in long war. However if you can't keep your soldiers equipped, sell anything at any time.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Furism posted:

Remember that aliens in Classic have substantially boosted critical chances. Simply by statistics, if you let them shoot at you a lot it's going to result in dead soldiers. Even with everybody in high cover, you want to do everything possible to prevent the enemy from ever getting to shoot back. Grenades solve a lot of your early game problems in this regard. They are guaranteed death to a Sectoid in cover or in tightly packed groups and can blow up cover for Thin Men so that another rookie can finish them off with a high percentage shot. Be very risk-averse and utterly unafraid to make Vhalen cry.

For some examples, I would likely throw a grenade if it was my best option to prevent a Sectoid from taking a shot at a soldier in low cover, since on Classic that's reasonably likely to be a dead soldier. If I had more Sectoids in firing positions than I was comfortable with (which on Classic means ~3), even with everybody in high cover, using grenades or maybe even a rocket to thin out their numbers before their turn would be a sound option. Heavies are very important, especially early on when you don't have any good Snipers, because their rocket is a Get-Out-of-Jail card for when you have too many enemies on the screen to thin down before they start killing people with simple volume of fire.

Getting and keeping levels on your soldiers so you can start building momentum on the ground game is a lot more important than some weapon fragments.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
God drat IT

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

MrBims posted:

God drat IT

Did the guy peering over the ledge just activate all/most of those? Long War is the best.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Retreat and call in a nuke strike.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Victor Vermis posted:

Did the guy peering over the ledge just activate all/most of those? Long War is the best.

Looks like only one of them is active. The rest were found with a battle scanner.

So, maybe that's just a setup to run like hell, instead of actively being hosed.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I threw the scanner to decloak the seekers. It was all one reveal. Thankfully only one guy was injured on the way back the skyranger.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 3, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

MrBims posted:

I threw the scanner to decloak the seekers. It was all one reveal. Thankfully only one guy was injured on the way back the skyranger.

What month was this from. You have some very light armaments to be pulling a Zerker pod.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Mid august, Classic Long War. A few days before, I got a double-mechtoid pod on an abduction, and I just finished a landed abductor that had a mechtoid and triple-berserker pod. I think I'm a good deal behind on research, I only realized this campaign that you don't get requests for corpses until you research xenobiology, which I've been holding off on every time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Retreat and call in a nuke strike.

This is sort of what I do on Large UFOs in month 1. When I go in, I absolutely do not expect to win that fight. I bring as many explosives as humanly possible and proceed extremely loving slowly. Then the second I activate a pod (or five) that I'm not sure about, I haul my rear end back to the LZ and bury anyone who comes at me in ordinance.

When the ordinance is out or I start to lose my position, I get the gently caress out. Situations like that aren't for winning and getting a 'big score'. They're for making the aliens win less.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

The only thing the ending needs is to show the memorial wall after the stat screens.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
SHIVs still don't seem to have damage reduction in Long War, I thought that had been fixed? (Beta 12 with the XComGame.upk that fixes the missing hp thing)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Sleepy Owl posted:

The only thing the ending needs is to show the memorial wall after the stat screens.

Needs to show your surviving teammates from the final mission attaching the name of the volunteer on the memorial wall as Bradford, Vahlen and Shen look on.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Five SHIVs sitting there looking mournful?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Jabor posted:

Five SHIVs sitting there looking mournful?

This sums up Long War.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Really needs to be something like

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ugh, so Toolboks hasn't worked in the longest time. I was hoping to edit my soldiers' perks because I felt like I chose poorly :v:

Oh well, I might as well restart anyway since I neglected my Foundry upgrades. Expanding into South America first probably wasn't worth it for the continental bonus; could've saved more cash and probably gotten more UFO kills by locking down North America before anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

toasterwarrior posted:

Ugh, so Toolboks hasn't worked in the longest time. I was hoping to edit my soldiers' perks because I felt like I chose poorly :v:

Oh well, I might as well restart anyway since I neglected my Foundry upgrades. Expanding into South America first probably wasn't worth it for the continental bonus; could've saved more cash and probably gotten more UFO kills by locking down North America before anything else.

I have been hoping toolboks will be updated so I can edit the nationality of my dudes :(

• Locked thread