Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

8ender posted:

As far as I know the engines that can take abuse like this are the 4.0, GM 3800, and Nissan VQ. The Ford SPI 2000 gets an honourable mention for being unkillable but also focusing that neglect back at the owner in the form of vibration and noise.
I'll nominate the old Chevy 250 six, too. I had a 77 nova with a dime sized hole in the radiator and my trips were scheduled by hops between gas stations with free water, dictated by the temp idiot light. Beat the gently caress out of that thing and it just kept working.

This is why I'm setting up an alert light for our toad's brake system, but inverting the logic, so that the light turns off if the brakes are applied. Light on? Go. Light off? Better be slowing down or not be towing something. I've heard so many horror stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

I'll nominate the old Chevy 250 six, too. I had a 77 nova with a dime sized hole in the radiator and my trips were scheduled by hops between gas stations with free water, dictated by the temp idiot light. Beat the gently caress out of that thing and it just kept working.

My best friend drove a '68 C10 with the 250 I6 in high school without a tach. After it cracked the head (hauling rear end on the way to take the SAT), we figured out that he'd been basically running the poor thing at or above redline every day for several years before it gave out. Usually low on coolant or oil as well, or both, because it leaked both constantly.

The only issue it ever had before it died entirely was the junkyard HEI distributor killing itself with its own ball-bearings (put one right through the middle of the HEI controller, wish I'd gotten pictures of that).

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 3, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jonny 290 posted:

I had a 72 Nova with a straight-6 in it. That thing was indestructible. Had a rock chew a hole in my oil pan and it got me 120 miles to the nearest service station. After the hole was patched I got me from Montana to Chicago no problem at all.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Don't forget about the Iron Duke / Tech 4 for the unkillable list. I've never subjected an engine to abuse like I did with the Tech 4 in my Cutlass Ciera. It was a gutless, sputtering clattering mess but it just would not die.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I would like to nominate the Ford 302. I have the original motor in my 1980 F250 and I can't count the number of times young me overheated that motor or ran it low on oil, and it still chugs away to this day at over 300,000 miles.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seconding ford 302.

We fed it 8psi of boost through a procharger for years and it was finally retired because it was pushing so much oil out of every crevice it caught fire. Still ran great after it was put out and some wiring fixed up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Lister/Petters single-cylinder diesel.

"Dad, when did you last change the oil in this?"
"Eh, some time in the late eighties, I think"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Then there's the LDT/LDS 465, the least reliable iron inline 6 I've ever experienced.

loving thing.

Design failures:
Head gaskets took 3 revisions to get right
478 cubic inches (7.8L) of displacement, yet it only makes 175hp and ~525 foot pounds
5 miles per gallon
and they're known for making GBS threads conrods out the side of the block, because the motor was originally designed to do no more than ~2300rpm and the upgrades to make it go faster mostly involved the military leaning on the manufacturer until they said "ehhhh, well, our factor of safety probably is good enough, so now it can do 2600rpm!"

Which is why I want to replace mine with a 5.9L Cummins that is smaller, hundreds of pounds lighter, spins 15% faster stock, and good to 1000hp with the stock bottom end. Oh, and it can be made to spin 50% faster by upgrading just the valvesprings.

e: oh yeah, the drat thing takes SEVERAL HUNDRED revolutions of the crankshaft to build any oil pressure. I don't know how. It's not just mine, either, that's one of the "features" of the design.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 3, 2014

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

kastein posted:

5.9L Cummins that is smaller, hundreds of pounds lighter

:stare:

Holy poo poo

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

It's over 1800lbs fully dressed, dry.

A Cummins 6BTA5.9 is around 1100lbs fully dressed, wet.

OTR truck engines are commonly well over a ton.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That is abysmal, even for a motor designed with WW2 technology.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
3rd'ing the 302 (5.0L) ford. All the roller blocks with the E7TE heads and forged pistons (87-92) were superbly durable from the factory. I tore down several that had 300k miles (480000 km) that had fresh looking cross hatching and nice internal clearances.

They could take a beating from boy racers running poorly installed/tuned nitrous, superchargers, etc that no engine had cause to survive. Many a mishap fixed with fresh head gaskets.

This was just one of the aspects that gained them favor with that crowd. As a GM guy who actually delved into that realm, it was a hard pill to swallow.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

B4Ctom1 posted:

3rd'ing the 302 (5.0L) ford. All the roller blocks with the E7TE heads and forged pistons (87-92) were superbly durable from the factory. I tore down several that had 300k miles (480000 km) that had fresh looking cross hatching and nice internal clearances.

They could take a beating from boy racers running poorly installed/tuned nitrous, superchargers, etc that no engine had cause to survive. Many a mishap fixed with fresh head gaskets.

This was just one of the aspects that gained them favor with that crowd. As a GM guy who actually delved into that realm, it was a hard pill to swallow.

It's a shame most of them got bolted to AODs, possibly the worst domestic RWD automatic transmission ever built.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

It's a shame most of them got bolted to AODs, possibly the worst domestic RWD automatic transmission ever built.

Every rwd chrysler transmission ever would like a word with you.

Chrysler was still putting 3 speed autos in the ram van right up until it's death in 03, and even those couldn't stay together.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Nah, they strapped an OD unit to the back.

They still couldn't stay together though, for a variety of reasons including maintenance, ignorant shops, and some idiot design flaws.

If they had just stuck with the tf727 instead of loving with the design things would have been better for everything except the environment.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
http://newstalkkgvo.com/montana-rail-link-train-derails-near-superior-three-cars-in-clark-fork-river-audio/

Those are 737 fuselages...

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

QuarkMartial posted:

If we're doing junkyard matches, can I suggest another one: Get a cheap car and replace all fluids with Lucas products (and nothing else), run it, and see what happens.

This is where I got all defensive of English Lucas Industries products, and totally forgot about those Lucas oils because I am dumb.

pants in my pants fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 5, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Lucas Oil, not Lucas Industries.

Roughly the same reputation, but for fluids.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

D'oh! Carry on, then!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

quote:

“Those cars contained aircraft components, denatured alcohol and soybeans, most of which were the aircraft components,” Frost said.

Horrible Grammatical Failure: I thought he was saying the soybeans were components.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Those are were 737 fuselages...

The railroad/article referring to an entire fuselage as "aircraft components" is hilarious. It's technically correct, but makes it sound like they were boxcars full of parts instead of nearly complete planes.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
Junkyard engine wars? How has the OM617 not been mentioned?

(Hint: probably because they never wind up in junkyards)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Theris posted:

The railroad/article referring to an entire fuselage as "aircraft components" is hilarious. It's technically correct, but makes it sound like they were boxcars full of parts instead of nearly complete planes.

That's the part where I lost it too.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Noeland posted:

Junkyard engine wars? How has the OM617 not been mentioned?

(Hint: probably because they never wind up in junkyards)

You see them once in a while, generally once the body is rusted beyond recognition or got hit by a truck or something.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Godholio posted:

Out of curiousity, what sort of real reputation do they have? I've used the oil stabilizer/stop leak in my wife's car and it seems to do what it claims. Obviously there's no "mechanic in a bottle", though.

And my desire to replace all fluids with Lucas products is to see how bad it'd run, not how well :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Another angle of this:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
'Aircraft Components'...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Oh, my mistake 'Aircraft? Components!'

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
'Aircraft, Components...'

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

You guys act like you've never seen a 737 heading back to it's spawning grounds before.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

QuarkMartial posted:

Out of curiousity, what sort of real reputation do they have? I've used the oil stabilizer/stop leak in my wife's car and it seems to do what it claims. Obviously there's no "mechanic in a bottle", though.

And my desire to replace all fluids with Lucas products is to see how bad it'd run, not how well :v:

Stop leak is little flakes that clog up small holes, tears, or other leaks, and anything similar. Like coolant or oil passages, radiators, heater cores, etc. Oil stabilizer is intended to increase the viscosity of the oil...which you can do by simply buying the correct oil for your application to begin with. 5w20 leaks a bit? Step up to 10w30 or something. Or fix the problem instead of sticking a bandaid over it. Don't pay more for crap additives that claim to do the same thing.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pivit posted:

You guys act like you've never seen a 737 heading back to it's spawning grounds before.

:golfclap:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Pivit posted:

Killing me here...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well that is gonna throw a loop in the factory schedule. Crazy enough though, the factory that builds all of the 737s is up to a 40+ rate per month. Hardly a drop in the bucket of overall production for the year.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

'Aircraft Components'...

Let's just call them pipe or tanks.

The press have made the whole plane/train crash thing so sensationalized that the respective industries have to downplay everything. Just like lives lost to guns compared to all the other forms of death. As if these two forms of conveyance have some multiplier that increases the value or each dollar/life lost over other forms because of news sensationalism.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Great Beer posted:

Another angle of this:

A rarely seen view of adolescent aircraft leaving their birthing place in the sea and crawling onto land for the first time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

A rarely seen view of adolescent aircraft leaving their birthing place in the sea and crawling onto land for the first time.

I expect to see this kind of poo poo on icanhazcheezburger or jalopnik, wtf.

A friend was over for a BBQ at my place today and upon attempting to leave, the lower balljoint on his 1997 accord snapped in half. It didn't separate, the drat stud broke off the ball. It had been working on breaking for a while too because part of the fractured surface was rusted/aged. Carnage pictures in the morning when it gets light, it ended up accidentally hellaflush with a ripped out cv shaft and getting it the 200 feet back to my place with functioning suspension on only 3 corners was... interesting.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

I expect to see this kind of poo poo on icanhazcheezburger or jalopnik, wtf.

A friend was over for a BBQ at my place today and upon attempting to leave, the lower balljoint on his 1997 accord snapped in half. It didn't separate, the drat stud broke off the ball. It had been working on breaking for a while too because part of the fractured surface was rusted/aged. Carnage pictures in the morning when it gets light, it ended up accidentally hellaflush with a ripped out cv shaft and getting it the 200 feet back to my place with functioning suspension on only 3 corners was... interesting.

Jalopnik would be "how do these plane fuselages in this river affect kim kardashian and the iphone 6"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Naw it would be "The most amazing plane fuselages you've ever seen in a place you'd never expect that will blow your mind and make you lose faith in humanity and brown manual diesel wagons."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
"Three 737's crash landed in a river at the same time and we've got EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE"