Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

That's a mistake I made early on, I walled myself in and fortified myself to hell and back- then when it came to get rocket defense I had zero artifacts, no power armor, lousy drones, etc etc and breaking into enemy bases guarded by Big Biters and Worms was nearly impossible. That's where the LP is now and that's probably why nobody wants to take a turn anymore :sigh:

Get SMG+P and 100 artifacts asap, new players! That's enough to kit out later.
That is definitely a problem in the game right now. All of the artifacts were siphoned into rocketry research, while we are still equipped with the steel armor and piercing ammo I was making in hour two. It makes the biters kind of hard to assault. Power armor, a fusion reactor, and a couple exoskeletons really would have helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Evilreaver posted:

That's a mistake I made early on, I walled myself in and fortified myself to hell and back- then when it came to get rocket defense I had zero artifacts, no power armor, lousy drones, etc etc and breaking into enemy bases guarded by Big Biters and Worms was nearly impossible. That's where the LP is now and that's probably why nobody wants to take a turn anymore :sigh:

What’s wrong with walking some LASER turrets up on them?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

What’s wrong with walking some LASER turrets up on them?

It's a giant pain in the rear end compared to dropping 30 Destroyer drones on them and going all Futurama on them. For the two games I blew it (no artifacts until forced to), I did indeed walk turrets out there, and if you check my post history I was kindofa whiny :spergin: about it :ohdear:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

It's a giant pain in the rear end compared to dropping 30 Destroyer drones on them and going all Futurama on them. For the two games I blew it (no artifacts until forced to), I did indeed walk turrets out there, and if you check my post history I was kindofa whiny :spergin: about it :ohdear:

I hosed up my first game, and I'm still not great, but I just succesfully did the "walk turrets up to spawners" thing, and for anyone trying it the trick is to hold down space the whole time with your SMG

I just hit 100 artifacts and I haven't even looked at advanced circuits yet.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I don't remember seeing it in the patch notes, but it looks like they fixed something that really bugged me after they changed stack sizes. If you called for 100 copper plates in your personal logistics request, and you had 99 plates in your inventory, and your bots could carry more than 1 item, they'd always drop off a full load, so you could end up up to 103 copper plates, making a second stack and wasting a bunch of inventory space.

Anyway,j it looks like that's fixed now, if you have 99 and are requesting 100, no matter how many items the bots will carry, you'll always end up with 100. I think what happens is the bot brings a full load, gives you whatever it takes to get to your request, and then drops the rest off somewhere (but I could be wrong on that last point).

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't remember seeing it in the patch notes, but it looks like they fixed something that really bugged me after they changed stack sizes. If you called for 100 copper plates in your personal logistics request, and you had 99 plates in your inventory, and your bots could carry more than 1 item, they'd always drop off a full load, so you could end up up to 103 copper plates, making a second stack and wasting a bunch of inventory space.

This is objectively worse behavior, as it leads to logistics bots with half-full loads hanging around forever, unless you set up a storage depot for them to drop off at.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Kenlon posted:

This is objectively worse behavior, as it leads to logistics bots with half-full loads hanging around forever, unless you set up a storage depot for them to drop off at.

Which you wouldn't do... why?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Mr. Wynand posted:

Which you wouldn't do... why?

Because the storage depot is for storing stuff I've torn down with construction bots, not random odds and ends. :colbert:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Never not have storage chests having around your roboports. I dump random poo poo like train signals into those.

What they really need is a discard bin as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phobophilia posted:

Never not have storage chests having around your roboports. I dump random poo poo like train signals into those.

I use an active provider chest for stuff I want to file away. That way it always has room for more.

For discard, I haven’t found anything better than a chest in the middle of a field that I crash the car into and replace occasionally.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I kept thinking I was close to winning my first game of Factorio and then I find out there's more to build. I researched Rocket Defence, and then realised I had to actually build all the parts to make it. I have my rockets. I have my circuits. And now I'm building the modules...

...and it is taking forever. I have speed 3 modules in all of the Assembler 2's making the level 2 and 3 modules, and productivity 3 modules in all of the red/blue circuit factories, but god drat it still takes ages. I may replace the Assembler 1 making level 1 speed/prod modules to an Assembler 2 so I can put modules in it but I'm sure it won't help that much.

I've actually taken to having modules being made by my character while I'm running around, just so I can give the process a helping hand.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

thehustler posted:

I kept thinking I was close to winning my first game of Factorio and then I find out there's more to build. I researched Rocket Defence, and then realised I had to actually build all the parts to make it. I have my rockets. I have my circuits. And now I'm building the modules...

...and it is taking forever. I have speed 3 modules in all of the Assembler 2's making the level 2 and 3 modules, and productivity 3 modules in all of the red/blue circuit factories, but god drat it still takes ages. I may replace the Assembler 1 making level 1 speed/prod modules to an Assembler 2 so I can put modules in it but I'm sure it won't help that much.

I've actually taken to having modules being made by my character while I'm running around, just so I can give the process a helping hand.

It will, actually; in addition to letting you put modules in them the higher-end assemblers flat-out craft faster than the earlier ones.

I think it works out that assembler 3s are 1.5x faster than assembler 1s, even before you put any modules in them.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

So basically I should upgrade all of those suckers to Assembler 3s and then see how that goes

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Speed 1 modules are dirt cheap, and so you can pump out dozens of assembler 3s.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Kenlon posted:

Because the storage depot is for storing stuff I've torn down with construction bots, not random odds and ends. :colbert:

Every time a logistic bot tries to bring you something, but you step out of the logistics network (like when working on the frontier) they'll go back to a storage chest to get rid of their cargo, not the original active provider.

And you're basically saying that keeping your storage chest :spergin: filtered is more important than keeping your personal inventory :spergin: sorted properly.

So I guess pick your :spergin:

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Phobophilia posted:

You realize storage chests will also be used as logistics providers right? Like, poo poo doesn't just go there to die - you can re-request it or it gets routed to inputs etc as usual. You really do want them around every rooboport to get things flowing smoothly.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

President Ark posted:

I think it works out that assembler 3s are 1.5x faster than assembler 1s, even before you put any modules in them.

Player crafts at 1x speed, Assembler 1 crafts at 0.5x speed, Assembler 2 goes at 0.75x speed and Assembler 3 goes at 1.5x speed.

The jump from 1 to 2 isn't huge and is mostly for the extra item you can stuff in there, the jump from 2 to 3 is very significant though with 3's being twice as fast as 2's and three times as fast as 1's.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Currently I'm messing with drones and having a blast ordering parts and having my bees deliver them.

But I don't like how the chests work. I end up with significant surpluses.

My factories request input with a requester chest, and output into a passive provider chest, which I've limited to only a few stacks so I don't overproduce something.

I then go request stuff, build with it, and dump whatever's left into an active provider chest. It is then sent to storage chests. But the storage chests are lower priority than the passive provider chests connected to the factory's output.

So whenever I have leftover stuff, and I put it into the logistic network by putting it in an active provider chest, it never gets used when requested, unless absurdly large quantities are needed.

I could have factories output directly into a storage chest, with its capacity limited, but then there's a chance a drone will show up and dump something in there, possibly the wrong item. Drones take great care to only put different items in the same box unless there's no other way, so as long as I have empty long-term storage nearby this won't happen.

How can I prevent this? The only thing I can come up with so far, is to dump my surpluses manually into another passive provider chest, instead of an active provider.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
use a smart inserter with a logistics item limit?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Remember, there's a priority to the logistic network.

Active provider chests will empty first, but only when there's a requester chest that wants what it has. Otherwise, it goes to storage for the item, then to a passive provider. Once those requests are fulfilled, only then are the active to storage jobs fulfilled.

You need more robots (it solves everything [except FPS issues])

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Dred_furst posted:

use a smart inserter with a logistics item limit?

I thought wires only worked with smart chests. This is awesome! I just need to hook up to a random chest for this to work.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stick Insect posted:

I thought wires only worked with smart chests. This is awesome! I just need to hook up to a random chest for this to work.

You don't even need wires, the last thing on the Smart Inserter is "Check how many X are in the whole logistics network"

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

sloshmonger posted:

Remember, there's a priority to the logistic network.

Active provider chests will empty first, but only when there's a requester chest that wants what it has. Otherwise, it goes to storage for the item, then to a passive provider. Once those requests are fulfilled, only then are the active to storage jobs fulfilled.

This isn't true, at least it wasn't in 0.9.8. I had bunches of random stuff in Storage that wasn't used until I moved it to their corresponding Passive chests.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Sunblood posted:

This isn't true, at least it wasn't in 0.9.8. I had bunches of random stuff in Storage that wasn't used until I moved it to their corresponding Passive chests.

Same here - that's why my storage depot consists of storage chests with multiple passives chained off each one.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Neruz posted:

Player crafts at 1x speed, Assembler 1 crafts at 0.5x speed, Assembler 2 goes at 0.75x speed and Assembler 3 goes at 1.5x speed.

The jump from 1 to 2 isn't huge and is mostly for the extra item you can stuff in there, the jump from 2 to 3 is very significant though with 3's being twice as fast as 2's and three times as fast as 1's.

AM3 is 1.25x as of most current update, but it is still a huge jump over AM2's 0.75x.

By the way, if you're looking for accurate data and the wiki still hasn't been updated (haven't checked in a few weeks because I got tired of getting bad info), I've been using Notepad++ and doing a Find in Files search (Ctrl-Shift-F) across all of C:\Program Files\Factorio\data\base\prototypes\. Pretty much every entity in the game follows the naming convention word-word-word (all lower case, replace spaces with hyphens). From there, the values are pretty self explanatory.

gives

:spergin::spergin::spergin:Gentlemen, start your spergines.:spergin::spergin::spergin:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 3, 2014

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
After finishing the campaign, I started a free play game. Fun, right?

I start in a wooded area. I decide to take advantage of this. Less pollution. Less biter attacks. I start between some curved lakes. I take advantage of this. A few short walls and I'm totally secure.

It has a rich supply of iron and copper right outside the trees, and many oil pools around too. There isn't any coal. Sure, to the north there's a small deposit, so I setup a couple of burner miners inserting directly into a chest, and just walk there sometimes. Oil production was easy to setup in the campaign, how hard can solid fuel be? So I think to myself, this will be nice.

This was not nice. It takes forever to start from scratch. I also did a terrible job mapping out the prerequisites, so every time I research, I think to myself, it's just one more item, right? So I'm feeding my boilers wood when I've forgotten to go get coal, and then immediately make a trip up every time the supply chest running the feeders runs short. It's only one more item away, right?

So I finally get solid fuel working. And it's great. No more fuel issues. This continues on for a while. Being between lakes has become a slight issue. It's cramped. Terrible layouts are everywhere, but I don't want to break anything. My red and green science production are horrors. I get laser turrets, and start making satellite bases linked over high tension wires. The goal is to start moving production out of the core. Of course, I'm defending them with laser turrets. That start getting attacked a ton.

All is well and good, until suddenly, I have half power. My solid fuel supply has no hope of coping with the lasering, and my power supply has collapsed. I could fix the problem, and deal with the attacking nests, but there's still a core issue at hand.

So, I make a train run to the closest coal deposit. It's north of my base. I'm surrounded by lakes, my boilers are in the south of the base. I snake backwards though my base.

It's 15 hours in, and I finally have a fully automated coal delivery system for my power plants.

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Sunblood posted:

I set up a storage system of inserters moving items between each type of smart chests. Storage is moved to passive provider chests automatically. I can use the smart inserter at the end to control which types of items will be moved into the active provider chest and then moved back to storage, combining it with another stack of that item in the process. Or I can use the requester chests to mass move a type of item into a given row of chests.

I think at this point I need to make a much larger version of it to store more items. Or maybe there is a better way to deal with storage.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Finally got my assemblers making modules really fast. AM3s with 4x speed 3 modules in... they loving fly now!

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Sunblood posted:

The priority changed in 0.10.1

What you said was true before that

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Xel posted:

I set up a storage system of inserters moving items between each type of smart chests. Storage is moved to passive provider chests automatically. I can use the smart inserter at the end to control which types of items will be moved into the active provider chest and then moved back to storage, combining it with another stack of that item in the process. Or I can use the requester chests to mass move a type of item into a given row of chests.

I think at this point I need to make a much larger version of it to store more items. Or maybe there is a better way to deal with storage.

There needs to be a building to do this, chest-arm complexes are dumb. I do something similar but much smaller to compact belts into chests or expand chests into completely full belts.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Some sort of mega-warehouse? A 'chest' that takes up multiple spaces?

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Xel posted:

what's the point of this, if you use active provider chests and storage chests there's no penalty at all for having a bunch of chests full of random stuff?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Dred_furst posted:

what's the point of this, if you use active provider chests and storage chests there's no penalty at all for having a bunch of chests full of random stuff?

:spergin: is all the reason we need, my friend.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Elfface posted:

Some sort of mega-warehouse? A 'chest' that takes up multiple spaces?

So like a big building full of chests and robotic arms that move things in the chests around? :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Picked this game up because I tried the demo and loved it, on the recommendation of the OP.

I bought the game yesterday. I estimate that I've spent at least 12 hours building poo poo :stare:

Sadly had to scrap my first run because I was getting out-teched by the biters. How does that work? Do they evolve as time passes, or depending on your research level? I dicked around with trains for so long that I neglected to get any heavy weapons and ended up trying to fight off wave after wave of medium biters with a submachine gun and a regular shotgun.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wow does this game scratch that autistic niche that Dwarf Fortress never did.

I like to strip-mine and exploit the poo poo out of everything I find like a Real Goddamn American.

Seriously, this is Capitalism the game. I put up a massive energy producing complex, have it be fed by a local coal mine so that it shits out pollution and energy indefinitely while I relentlessly strip-mine every resource I find. Then, when the native population gets all uppity I put up a wall of high-technology weaponry to kill them before they cause any damage to my mining operations.

I haven't dicked around with anything top-tier, like power armor, HE rockets, or anything like that but I don't need to do that bullshit since I can just surround a Biter nest with laser turrets and walls if I can't burn it down with my flamethrower.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Sadly had to scrap my first run because I was getting out-teched by the biters. How does that work? Do they evolve as time passes, or depending on your research level? I dicked around with trains for so long that I neglected to get any heavy weapons and ended up trying to fight off wave after wave of medium biters with a submachine gun and a regular shotgun.

Shintaro posted:

Here is some (rather rough) calculated/experimental data and rules of thumb for people who care:

Biter evolution is asymptotic. Left completely untouched (no pollution, no attacking):

.3 (medium biters begin showing up) happens at around 12.5 hours
.6 (big biters) happens at around 32 hours

As explained on the wiki, spawn rate is directly related to evolution factor, and each time a biter is spawned a number is rolled between zero and the current evolution factor. 0-0.3, a small biter is created; .3-.6, a medium biter; .6 and higher, a big biter. Spawners further from the game's start point also get a bonus added, so really distant spawners will not be putting out many small biters, if any. Biter settling parties (and frequency) are also directly related to the evolution factor, so as time goes on you can expect larger and more frequent incursions.

Biters will not settle a new base within a certain distance of the player's base. This seems to mean any player-placed structures, so leaving little totems or markers of some cheap, unobtrusive structure (like an electric pole) in the wilderness around your base is a good idea (that seems to work).

Destroying a spawner advances the clock roughly 10.5 minutes.

Spawners in the range of your pollution add about +100% to evolution rate (probably actually closer to 80%, but we're talking rules of thumb here). If pollution is visible on your minimap even at the lightest level (say, flickering over their base) it is enough to "feed" at least three or four spawners this way.

All of which really just reinforces the idea that if a biter base is in range of your pollution, you should take it out as soon as is feasible.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Oh man, I am so happy someone finally started this thread. Last time I checked was when I bought the game around March and the only thread I could find was the sadly gassed thread created by one of the devs who didn't realize how much he had to lurk to make his post not sound like one massive shill.

Now to read the entire thread because I loving love this game and want to see what you guys are doing. :) Really glad goons can get in on the modding community for this. When it hits Steam it's going to be the next Terraria/Starbound hit.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just as a side note regarding those "totems" that post mentions, they don't work. I was leaving furnaces around as 'tombstones' whenever I killed a nest, and later on a nest settled right on top of one.

In addition, sometimes new spawns will camp right near your base: This happened on my turn in the LP:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Right on, thanks.