Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Let's talk about software development projects that make it through architecture review without anyone designing what the actual environment is going to look like.

"Oh, that's a neat piece of software. Where do you think you're going to be running it? Because I don't see any hardware requisitions tied to this project and we don't have space for it in our existing infrastructure."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Let's talk about software development projects that make it through architecture review without anyone designing what the actual environment is going to look like.

"Oh, that's a neat piece of software. Where do you think you're going to be running it? Because I don't see any hardware requisitions tied to this project and we don't have space for it in our existing infrastructure."

I didn't know you worked at my company :allears: We've finally done this poo poo one too many times so now myself and another guy from the Ops group are going to be sitting in on development planning sessions. Not to be naysayers but just to help point out potential problems from our side before they spend 2 months developing a feature we can't deploy.

I guess we're gonna ~~do DevOps~~ ?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The only thing I hate more than "what's your greatest weakness?" was the rear end in a top hat interviewer that asked me "what are your two greatest weaknesses?"

I guess my second weakness is that I only came prepared to give you one.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

"what are your two greatest weaknesses?"

"I can't just stop working on a project when the day ends. I often take my work home with me... which is why I developed a crippling alcohol dependency."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Comradephate posted:

It was a joke. I guess in an interview I would say that my weakness is that I'm not very good at conveying jokes in text.

On the topic of "I don't know": I spend a lot of time talking with a few of the people who do technical interviews at my current company, and one thing they all love to hear is "If I had to guess." because it means they're about to get a glimpse at how you think through a problem.

Of course, it only works if your guess is coherent and at least somewhere near the mark.

If they have 100% of the skills you want them to have to do helpdesk, they will probably be good candidates. I think it's totally fine for people to just be content and do their thing for 8 hours and then go the gently caress home. But understand that if they've been doing helpdesk for 15 years they definitely are not going to put time in to learning new poo poo, so on day 1 if they know less than 80-90% of what you need them to know, they're probably going to be kind of useless.
I wish you could've known the head desktop support guy from my last job before he got excessed after close to ten years. Kind of a pain in the rear end to work with, but he was remarkably up-to-date on everything and could easily out-Powershell pretty much anyone on the systems team.

tworow2
Sep 21, 2009
Here's the beginning of a script some genius wrote years ago that accounting uses to backup some data files:

X:
cd \Noon
DEL *.*

It doesn't check if X exists.

Because of some air conditioning issues we had to shut down some servers last night. Because of that, today X didn't exist.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Awesome that Windows in TYOOL 2014 still doesn't have any equivalent to bash -e.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

tworow2 posted:

Here's the beginning of a script some genius wrote years ago that accounting uses to backup some data files:

X:
cd \Noon
DEL *.*

It doesn't check if X exists.

Because of some air conditioning issues we had to shut down some servers last night. Because of that, today X didn't exist.

I'm glad you shared this. Often when people share bad code I have no idea what's wrong, this is a nice one that's easy for people of all skill levels to figure out why it's bad. Worst case, as long as you can figure out what del *.* is, you can open up your console and try the first two lines to see what would happen if X doesn't exist.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Misogynist posted:

Awesome that Windows in TYOOL 2014 still doesn't have any equivalent to bash -e.

Tons of ways you can do this kind of thing in Powershell, which I mainly use nowadays (don't use cmd/batch scripting anymore). Powershell loving rules.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 3, 2014

tworow2
Sep 21, 2009
You can use 'if exists' in batch scripts.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I got a callback from a recruiter who had a job posting up yesterday who wants to meet. He's local, so I'm gonna go down there. I'm wary of any recruiters, and know enough not to sign anything with him. My second misapprehension is that the company is a vacation timeshare company. Nonetheless, I'm going to go meet him- there's an opportunity to work with some interesting stuff, it sounds like.

I'm assuming this is just a quick meet and greet so he can see I'm real and so he can probably try to get me to sign some kind of exclusivity contract or something, but other than that I'm not quite sure what to expect. I don't plan on going full suit-and-tie, maybe just some kind of business casual thing. Any other tips for me?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
It's hard to give advice on how to dress, because it kind of depends on your specific line of work and geographic location.

If I showed up to an interview in a suit and tie it would at best be something that the interviewers made fun of me for, and at worst it would disqualify me because they'd assume I had no idea how the culture is around here.

If it's just what amounts to an in-person phone screening, there's not much to worry about. Just don't be a huge weirdo and don't come off like you're full of poo poo.

Fake edit: huge weirdos can be really hard to get along with, and people who are full of poo poo won't own up to their mistakes, and both of those are qualities that nobody wants to work with.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Also be ready for the pitch and the recruiter not wanting to take no for an answer. If they get you in person and wasting time there, the idea is you'll be more reluctant to answer in the negative to an offer.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Thanks for the responses. I wear shorts and t-shirts to my current job (in SoCal), so I know the culture thing is a big one. If I were in NYC or something it seems everyone wears a suit.

The recruiter actually suggested a Skype call initially, so I don't think this is going to be too high-pressure. He sounded semi-normal, so I'm hoping I don't get a used car salesman.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If it's just shooting the poo poo with a recruiter I wouldn't bother with full suit, especially in SoCal. Go business casual, whatever that is for your area. I'm still of the opinion that "real interview" == "always suit up" unless you know beyond a doubt that it's a total Brogrammer startup and you'll get disqualified for it, but we've done that topic to death several times.

edit: unrelated, I just got hit up on LinkedIn by a recruiter named Jason Alexander. I'm just gonna assume that means I'd literally get to hang out with George Costanza :allears:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 3, 2014

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The place where I work now has a decent interview process. They have a list of questions relevant to your position, and try to weed through your experience to see if you're familiar with the common issues they run into on a day-to-day basis as a MSP.

But when you first walk through the door, the COO shoots you with a nerf gun. There is a loaded nerf gun on the table, where you would sit. It is definitely a "lols nerf office" at face value, but the best part about that part of the interview is how people react to it. The person who won't grab a gun and fire back is also usually too stoic or introverted or serious for the kind of humor at the office. It's helped prevent anybody that doesn't like the occasional harmless background-swap prank, at least :v:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'd probably end up shooting COO in the eye and have to start the interview off with "oh god I am so sorry"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I would shoot myself.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

One of our offices has the "if you walk in the door, your rear end is getting nerfed" thing going on. Not gonna lie, I kind of loving hate it and I am far from a stodgy old fart. But after I get tagged in the side of the head while working on a sitewide outage a couple times it loses its appeal really quickly. There's startup shenanigans at our other office too but they're at least opt-in and non-violent.

The only fun part of the nerf antics is that our ex-military and firearms enthusiasts are the other folks who think it's dumb. They never start the war but they will certainly end it! (just to be clear, I mean with nerf "shock and awe" retaliation and incredible aim, not actual guns).

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Docjowles posted:

Not gonna lie, I kind of loving hate it and I am far from a stodgy old fart.

This is me.

If I experienced that interview getting shot as I walked in the door I would probably have the most obvious "are you loving serious" look on my face.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

death .cab for qt posted:

The place where I work now has a decent interview process. They have a list of questions relevant to your position, and try to weed through your experience to see if you're familiar with the common issues they run into on a day-to-day basis as a MSP.

But when you first walk through the door, the COO shoots you with a nerf gun. There is a loaded nerf gun on the table, where you would sit. It is definitely a "lols nerf office" at face value, but the best part about that part of the interview is how people react to it. The person who won't grab a gun and fire back is also usually too stoic or introverted or serious for the kind of humor at the office. It's helped prevent anybody that doesn't like the occasional harmless background-swap prank, at least :v:
Your company must be terrific at getting women to work there

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Companies where everyone has a nerf gun and the CEO skateboards in because we're all so cool and relaxed can suck but sometimes they can be fun and creative. Companies so formal that even the sticks up their rear end are required to wear a suit can also suck but can be a good place to get work done. Everything sucks and everything is awesome.

Misogynist posted:

I know women who like that sort of office and those who hate it. Not sure how that applies.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
This kind of thing is fine with me, on occasion. If every time I walk in the door I get a hail of nerf I'm going to get tired of it really quickly. If it's Friday and I'm getting back from lunch and take a nerf dart to the chest I probably won't care. If I'm in The Zone trying to crack a though problem and you nerf me in the head I will loving end you.

It's all about knowing where and when and how much is okay before you go over the line. Which is why it can be a problem because a lot of people don't know or give a poo poo where the line is (which varies from person to person).

In an interview situation, I would probably like it because interviews are just about the most stressful things ever and I welcome a little tension relieving. As long as it's not mean-spirited.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Things like nerf guns just seem like lovely ways to appeal to novices in order keep salaries low.

There's a place and time for fun and it's not at work.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tab8715 posted:

You are or are going to be one of those bosses that thinks that if one of their minions is smiling, they aren't doing their jobs.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

You are or are going to be one of those bosses that thinks that if one of their minions is smiling, they aren't doing their jobs.

No, I'd assume he's smiling because he's happy and leave him be.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Che Delilas posted:

And you are or are going to be Michael Scott.

It's possible to have a relaxed, casual working environment without monkey cheese poo poo like "LOL the COO shoots you in the inverview with a nerf gun to see if your a bro"

culture fit

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Misogynist posted:

Hasn't been an obstacle :shrug: Most people that get interviewed and not hired are usually just people that don't take a joke. The first time I got shot post-interview was when the office manager (a woman) shot me from down a hallway as I was getting coffee. The office is about 2:1 guys to girls, but that seems a lot more a symptom of being an MSP than having nerf guns. The web design place next door to us is 2:1 girls to guys, and they've gone from single-shot handguns to full automatic rifles.

Tab8715 posted:

That's pretty much the exact attitude the interview bit tries to bring out in people, because we all feel pretty strongly the opposite.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I think nerf guns and I lean more toward 'startup bro culture' and not fun place to work, sorry. You can joke and have fun at work without being a perpetual child surrounded by toys.

Plus a lot of those amenities are deeply insidious anyway. Free food, drinks and beer so you won't mind staying at work longer or getting paid less! We're fun here!

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Or they can joke around and have fun while being a perpetual child surrounded by toys.

It doesn't affect you.

There are a million different reasons why you might or might not want to work for a company. If you walk in the door and get shot by a nerf gun and you don't like that happening, I guess work somewhere the gently caress else.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Stanos posted:

I think nerf guns and I lean more toward 'startup bro culture' and not fun place to work, sorry. You can joke and have fun at work without being a perpetual child surrounded by toys.

Plus a lot of those amenities are deeply insidious anyway. Free food, drinks and beer so you won't mind staying at work longer or getting paid less! We're fun here!

That more or less my point.

Granted, I'm sure there are plenty of companies are very relaxed, carefree, open, nobody-is-anyone's-boss that are successful but I feel that many of them devolve into "silo" into stupid cliquey high-school groups. Or they're just trying play you into taking a low-salary.

I prefer more structure, personally.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Comradephate posted:

Or they can joke around and have fun while being a perpetual child surrounded by toys.

It doesn't affect you.

There are a million different reasons why you might or might not want to work for a company. If you walk in the door and get shot by a nerf gun and you don't like that happening, I guess work somewhere the gently caress else.

Which is, again, the point.

It's not a bro-culture by any stretch of the imagination, and it doesn't have a kegerator set up in the break room. The whole place has a heavy emphasis on study/growth, for clients/employees/business. Employees especially, there's channels for getting certified in just about everything, and raises for getting certified. Get certified in X things in a quarter, your pay is raised by Y for the next quarter.

It just also has nerf darts whizzing by you every once in a while

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If Nerf guns are bro culture than I am bro as gently caress. Nerf owns.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

PCjr sidecar posted:

It's possible to have a relaxed, casual working environment without monkey cheese poo poo like "LOL the COO shoots you in the inverview with a nerf gun to see if your a bro"

This is not the only definition of "fun."

Edit: Go back and read the specific statement I quoted, which is what I was taking issue with. You can have fun at work, and it doesn't have to be monkey cheese poo poo.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 4, 2014

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Is it just a tension/ice breaker type thing or is it an actual "LOL WE REBEL AGAINST THE MAN WITH OUR TOYS"?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If I ran a company, for fun we would do this stuff.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So stupid adult toys?

edit: And expensive cars makes me think of stodgy middle age white men in suits. Which sounds like a horrible place to work. I think the answer's going to be that different people like different things and that's ok.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

This is not the only definition of "fun."

Fair enough. I think we'd agree that you can have a fun work environment without having "fun."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

jim truds posted:

So stupid adult toys?

Oh yeah like I would want to indulge in some tiny dick compensation car racing.

Grow up, people.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Fair enough. I think we'd agree that you can have a fun work environment without having "fun."

The problem is that fun is subjective and if you force it everything becomes miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

The problem is that fun is subjective and if you force it everything becomes miserable.

Yeah, in my mind that's the difference between fun and "fun."

• Locked thread