Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I get what he was going for but it really does come across as sad. Happens around the 3:20 mark, and it's even sadder because it's in the middle of a rather decent explanation of why continuity matters to nerds in spite of how silly the exercise is and always will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

Mario has continuity? :confused:
It doesn't.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

PiedPiper posted:

Is Moviebob the guy who made that video about why he likes video games and it's just a long-rear end list of 'Because [name of a Robot Master]' and 'Because [female character]'s rack'?

Yeah, here, I found it. Enjoy, everybody!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr3iXginLUY

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

mind the walrus posted:

I get what he was going for but it really does come across as sad. Happens around the 3:20 mark, and it's even sadder because it's in the middle of a rather decent explanation of why continuity matters to nerds in spite of how silly the exercise is and always will be.

It also seems to completely contradict the point he was making earlier. You nerds, sometimes the continuity is not perfect, EXCEPT FOR MARIO DAMMIT!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well he's clearly trying to say that he gets why changing continuity and having to bend over backwards to explain things because "they matter" from the first person, and that he's not just some critic railing on Star Wars fans for being upset that their silly little EU isn't going to matter anymore, but it really doesn't come across that way and instead more like "hey you think caring about the EU is pathetic? I'll show you pathetic!"

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If I'd ever be in a position where I'm the primary creative force behind some franchise, I'd intentionally make the continuity as internally contradictory as possible, just to gently caress with people.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

If I'd ever be in a position where I'm the primary creative force behind some franchise, I'd intentionally make the continuity as internally contradictory as possible, just to gently caress with people.

Get the gently caress out of here, Brannon Braga. No one likes you. :v:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah you're right to rail on the guy for that. Holy poo poo is that series wrong.
It's that attitude why I dislike him the most. The sanctimonious way he'll cry out about minority oppression in geek culture while he indulges in casual sexism like how "Sucker Punch really was female empowerment, you guys!" I watch his stuff on The Escapist because 1)Escapist doesn't tolerate any continuity/skit shenanigans and 2)I learn how not to review or talk about movies. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hatewatching him, too.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Guys, MovieBob's opinion should be disregarded because he thinks Other M's story was a good character piece.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

DStecks posted:

Mario has continuity? :confused:

I once had someone in a pub explain his personal timeline for the canoncity of the Mario games - what order they happen in and why. I think he was half joking, but you never know.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mad Lupine posted:

Guys, MovieBob's opinion should be disregarded because he thinks Other M's story was a good character piece.

This is still absolutely the funniest thing ever to me.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mad Lupine posted:

What the gently caress :psyboom:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Cannot Find Server posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc4h8hNYev0 - At the end he basically says YOU'RE the misogynist if you think that Other M did a disservice to the character. No I'm not making that up. I find it funny too that he just completely ignores Metroid Prime 3 which, while flawed in some ways, had Samus working under a commanding officer that actually seemed to respect her. Sure Admiral Dane was kind of flat and kinda your cadboard military leader but it didn't directly insult the character or the player.

And the follow up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OVDy1zpwLg

Tracula fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 4, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There are times where I'd defend MovieBob (Like when a previous iteration of the thread got peeved at him dissing CoD's jingoist ties, trying to compare it with Contra when Contra didn't have an Oliver North tie-in or a lot of real life military hardware sponsoring.) However this certainly ain't one of them.

We should start calling Kimble Justice a she tho!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Cannot Find Server posted:

Yep and he disliked the Prime series prmarily on the fact that it was an FPS. Dude has issues with the genre because jocks douchebags play them.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OldMemes posted:

I once had someone in a pub explain his personal timeline for the canoncity of the Mario games - what order they happen in and why. I think he was half joking, but you never know.

See, my favourite theory is that the Mario characters are a troupe of actors, and absolutely none of the mainline Mario games represent actual things that happened to them;and the Mario Kart/Party/Tenis etc. games are the troupe dicking around on their days off.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Good for her. If you're reading Kim, I wish you the best of luck with this. :)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's been said before but Kimble really deserves more viewers. I really like the variety of stuff she goes over.It's really one of the few game review shows that seems really interested in exploring lesser known games AND bigger games with an decent eye to actually discussing the games. It's sort of poo poo like the recent Sequelitis gets tons of views whereas more interesting stuff is left by the wayside. The WWF/WCW list was really fun.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I need a honest opinion here: Should I continue to watch Tropes vs. Women in Video Games? It's just that I've been hearing a lot of "fraud" comments lately and I'm not so sure about her work.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Violet_Sky posted:

I need an honest opinion here: Should I continue to watch Tropes vs. Women in Video Games? It's just that I've been hearing a lot of "fraud" comments lately and I'm not so sure about her work.

If I recall right, a lot of the fraud comments are people screaming that she's not using the money that she got over her kickstarter goal correctly and not releasing videos quick enough. The other issue is that of taking video footage without attributing it. That's not really anything to do with the content though. I'm sure there are some reasonable issues and discussions in regards to how she's using the money, the problem is that the rage and frothing hatred of her make it nearly impossible to actually get any hard facts. I'd say keep watching, unless there is some hard evidence then I'm more than willing to say a lot of the fraud comments are from people who hate her no matter what.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

I need a honest opinion here: Should I continue to watch Tropes vs. Women in Video Games? It's just that I've been hearing a lot of "fraud" comments lately and I'm not so sure about her work.

The videos cover really basic stuff on the subject so if you're not feeling it, just stop.

The people calling her a fraud are just angry nerds that are mad that she got a lot of money via kickstarter. She has delivered what she said she would, which is more than what some other high profile kickstarters can say.

e: The "content stealing" complaint is really dumb because the content is footage from videogames that people recorded.

Srice fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 4, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'll fully admit that Anita Sarkeesian annoys the ever-loving gently caress out of me and I'm not sure why, and as such I avoid her videos or anything about her because I know I can't give her a fair assessment.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Srice posted:

e: The "content stealing" complaint is really dumb because the content is footage from videogames that people recorded.

She also took artwork from artists and specifically editing out the signature, which then she got called out for.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

It's not so much the "taking clips from Youtube without credit" thing as it is in correlation with the huge Kickstarter success, giving the impression that Anita did barely any technical work on the show (buying game for footage, buying the tech to capture footage, actually getting the footage, editing the footage, etc), certainty not enough to justify a nearly sixteen hundred thousand dollars budget.

(In her defense, she only asked for six thousand, which is a reasonable "give me time off work to make some video game videos" budget)

(Crediting the Youtubers in a quick credit scene requires minimal effort, though)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DStecks posted:

See, my favourite theory is that the Mario characters are a troupe of actors, and absolutely none of the mainline Mario games represent actual things that happened to them;and the Mario Kart/Party/Tenis etc. games are the troupe dicking around on their days off.

This is the official interpretation. At least it is, according to Miyamoto.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

She any good? She sounds familiar but I'm not sure I've seen any of her stuff?

Since you brought up Other M. If you haven't done so, there is a Lets Play done by a couple of goons that really break the game down. Plus someone in the thread put together bits called Sakamoto Says, which take a look at the back stage stuff and discovered the horrible truth Yoshio Sakamoto is an idoit

If you want a textbook example on Ludonarrative dissonance, Watch a Other M Lets Play.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 4, 2014

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Tae posted:

She also took artwork from artists and specifically editing out the signature, which then she got called out for.

I would dearly love to see the same level of scrutiny leveled at Anita Sarkeesian redirected at every single other critic discussed in this thread.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BigRed0427 posted:

She any good? She sounds familiar but I'm not sure I've seen any of her stuff?

Since you brought up Other M. If you haven't done so, there is a Lets Play done by a couple of goons that really break the game down. Plus someone in the thread put together bits called Sakamoto Says, which take a look at the back stage stuff and discovered the horrible truth Yoshio Sakamoto is an idoit

If you want a textbook example on Ludonarrative dissonance, Watch a Other M Lets Play.

http://lparchive.org/Metroid-Other-M/ This one, right? I forgot what parts I watched but I know they did a big two and a half hour breakdown for the last video on why so many things didn't work. Also I'd suggest watching the Retsupurae of theater mode because that's just Slowbeef and Diabeetus making GBS threads on the game the entire time which is about exactly what it deserves.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Violet_Sky posted:

I was sort of curious as to what everyone's thoughts were on the most recent video.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 4, 2014

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Don't we? I know it's not true of the internet as a whole, but this thread seems willing and able to take anyone up to task. Or did I just dream all that Egoraptor and Moviebob discussion that was going on over the last day?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Srice posted:

The videos cover really basic stuff on the subject so if you're not feeling it, just stop.

The people calling her a fraud are just angry nerds that are mad that she got a lot of money via kickstarter. She has delivered what she said she would, which is more than what some other high profile kickstarters can say.

Pretty much this. I watched a video or two, but in my opinion she doesn't really cover anything that is new under the sun in concerns to games and feminism and at this point, the only reason she's at the forefront of the whole business is because so many angry nerds scream and yell about her and angry nerds on her side also scream and yell at the opposite side.

Basically the topics and arguments she presents can be easily dissected and are not very compelling if someone actually thinks about it.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

This is the official interpretation. At least it is, according to Miyamoto.
SMB3 aka the Best Mario is a stage play as is the first Paper Mario. It's canon.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

quakster posted:

SMB3 aka the Best Mario is a stage play as is the first Paper Mario. It's canon.
Super Mario World was the best Mario game and I'll hear nothing otherwise :colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Mario 3 / Mario World wars will never end until we all accept the supremacy of 3D World.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Pirate Jenny posted:

I would dearly love to see the same level of scrutiny leveled at Anita Sarkeesian redirected at every single other critic discussed in this thread.
I demand everyone on Channel Awesome post proof of their E&O Insurance!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Apparently Anita Sarkeesian made some sort of statement at a TED talk or something like that, where she said that Mirror's Edge (an example of a game with leading girl characters and poo poo) should be made easier because most girls weren't very good at games.

I can't verify how authentic that statement was, it doesn't seem like the whole talk is available online, but it does strike a rather hollow chord. Whether Anita is cynically profiting off the online feminist movement or not, it's a dumb statement to make and I've never felt her other complaints were particularly insightful. She basically hates damsels in distress. I argue that rescuing princesses is fun, it's the ultimate abstraction of "doing good"--saving a pure-hearted maiden from an evil dragon. It's an archetype as old as time.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

quote:

She basically hates damsels in distress.

quote:

she said that Mirror's Edge should be made easier because most girls weren't very good at games.

Huh.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
http://redlettermedia.com/best-of-the-worst-ghetto-blaster-terror-in-beverly-hills-and-killing-american-style/

Nearly an hour of Best of the Worst goodness :allears:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

"Sexual Sadist, John Lynch (Himself.)"

That must have been a hell of a casting call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Welp, I'm off to bed. Goodnight Everyone!

Welp, guess not. Nevermind!

• Locked thread