Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
The fun part of this game is when you see the other side's agent looking around for you. I know someone who is playing on the other side and they don't know that I'm playing. I blow their stuff up when they are around just to see them panic then hide my phone.

This game needs a tag element where you can knock out their scanner when you fire a special weapon within 2 meters of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Coldbird posted:

A) loving GPS drifting - this basically ruined it for me, getting a reliable GPS fix where I played was way too unreliable; the worst part is that there probably isn't a solution, at least with this generation of GPS hardware

Did you only play in skyscraper canyons? I work downtown, surrounded by 50-story buildings, and yes, in there the GPS might show me anywhere within a block or two of where I'm actually standing. Sometimes frustrating, but it helps as often as it hurts. But if I'm somewhere I can see more than a few degrees of sky, my cheap-rear end phone nails the exact spot really well.

Sorry your phone sucks I guess? :shrug:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Did you only play in skyscraper canyons? I work downtown, surrounded by 50-story buildings, and yes, in there the GPS might show me anywhere within a block or two of where I'm actually standing. Sometimes frustrating, but it helps as often as it hurts. But if I'm somewhere I can see more than a few degrees of sky, my cheap-rear end phone nails the exact spot really well.

This happens even on expensive flagship devices. GPS only needs to be "good enough."

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Powered Descent posted:

Buckhead basically is all canyons, yes, especially the parts where all the portals are loaded. I have a Note 2.

There were a few places where I could predict the drifting and use it as an advantage, but most of the time it flew all over the place whenever I got near maybe a third of the portals there - even when I stood still for a few minutes. With enough time I could make it work but it dragged out gameplay to the point that it just wasn't fun anymore.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
In regards portal approvals. When NL-1331, a van full of Niantic staffers, was here in Pittsburgh, we asked. The response was about a flood of fraudulent portals and "he's working as hard as he can on this one. We think we've stopped the spam, though."

There's one guy who approves portals. For the entire planet.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

In regards portal approvals. When NL-1331, a van full of Niantic staffers, was here in Pittsburgh, we asked. The response was about a flood of fraudulent portals and "he's working as hard as he can on this one. We think we've stopped the spam, though."

Please tell me he's an intern.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Exit Strategy posted:

Hahahahaha this is the most amazing thing :allears:

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I tried to do a search for something I could use for Citation, but we'll have to go with "this is what the community has mentioned many a times"

Apparently the reason they even hired a dude in the first place is because a group of players got mad at Google for [REASONS] and decided that their response would be to utterly flood the submissions with possible candidates. poo poo like "My Bathroom". This apparently worked, as they actually didn't have a single person dedicated to this task until the spam came in and they were like "we should probably get someone on this"

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

WeX Majors posted:

I tried to do a search for something I could use for Citation, but we'll have to go with "this is what the community has mentioned many a times"

Apparently the reason they even hired a dude in the first place is because a group of players got mad at Google for [REASONS] and decided that their response would be to utterly flood the submissions with possible candidates. poo poo like "My Bathroom". This apparently worked, as they actually didn't have a single person dedicated to this task until the spam came in and they were like "we should probably get someone on this"

https://plus.google.com/107908190820446411716/posts/cbLHvhnCHrj

People were butthurt about getting banned for using hacked clients.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Some seemingly reliable info on an iOS app release on the 12th.

INGRESS REPORT - Raw Feed Jul 10 2014 - #HELIOS B…: http://youtu.be/RWOuVdG_b68

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Decay rate's been massively increased to 72 hours. Going to be a lot of forgetful people losing their guardian badge portals.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I know I almost did. Still, I'll enjoy the tears in a few days of the people who actually do lose their guardians to decay!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Tons of angry nerds. I'm 11 million deep and on the verge of burning out, so I don't care at all. The Resistance sucks in Cleveland so it's pretty boring.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

FistEnergy posted:

Tons of angry nerds. I'm 11 million deep and on the verge of burning out, so I don't care at all. The Resistance sucks in Cleveland so it's pretty boring.

Convince Apple users to join you and become their leader.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
This actually makes me bummed, because my favorite way to play this was to get the forgotten portals. Portals that are isolated geographically or just maybe not that important. Not to mention it was already hard enough to keep portals recharged to begin with. If you're just rechargin your guardian, then no big deal. Blow your whole bar of energy right before you're say, driving to work and then just fill it back on the drive.
But to keep any sort of Active Portal Roster now? Yeesh.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It may just be temporary for their Helios event.

Edit: I think portal decay should increase if a portal sits idle. I.e if someone gives it any charge, it will decay at the normal rate, but two days untouched and it accelerates.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They have made similar changes in the past as the population grows to accommodate more players. XMP Bursters used to have a much larger radius for comparison level 8 Burster has its range reduced 232m down to 168m around 1/4th the previous range 400m.

A level 8 player used to be a much bigger deal because they could attack portals from blocks away. In the end it was mostly agreed that the change was needed due to the increased number of level 8 players. Otherwise every portal would just change hands between level 8 players leaving new players bored.

If the number of players doubles over the next couple months the change could be for the best. If not they will let players cure the virus to return the decay rate to its previous level. They may also have plans to add additional items to the game such as a mod that slows or stops portal decay.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Oh god, a decay mod is so very much needed considering how useless the Link Amp is. Well, at least in US Metropolitan areas. I'm sure they're a lot more useful in say...Nebraska.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

WeX Majors posted:

Oh god, a decay mod is so very much needed considering how useless the Link Amp is. Well, at least in US Metropolitan areas. I'm sure they're a lot more useful in say...Nebraska.

Don't forget Siberia.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

WeX Majors posted:

Campfire portals.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WeX Majors posted:

Nebraska here. We never use them.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Nebraska here. We never use them.

Not even to load up on a portal and then Jarvis/Ada it?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mr. Powers posted:

Not even to load up on a portal and then Jarvis/Ada it?

Yeah, soft bricking is the only use I've personally seen.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Link amps exist for doing dumb poo poo like this.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

The locals here are saying that the power cube drop rate is up, so that should help against the decay virus.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The locals here are saying that the power cube drop rate is up, so that should help against the decay virus.

Oh, good - I've been hoarding those.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
That explains how almost every hack from my local farm got me a lvl8 cube.

Also, my point about the Link Amp still stands. It's a mod designed to do the exact opposite thing of what the rest of the game is designed around (going local). Really Portals should just have that ability full stop.If I can link some portal on the jersey shore out to...idk, somewhere in Africa, why should I need a mod to do that?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
It makes no sense for linking to increase portal defense. Linking should cost energy to maintain just like common sense indicates.

Linking should reduce portal defense as a tradeoff to creating links/fields and influencing an area. Link Amps should counteract this weakening, thus giving them a real purpose.

If this change was made, players would have to make interesting decisions to trade portal strength for MUs, instead of the current braindead system of making as many links as possible to whatever you can.

Pay me my money, Niantic.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 12, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
On the flip side its trivial for me as a L8+ player to tear down a non linked portal. Seriously, it takes zero effort but I have to think about how much gear I want to burn to take down something linked to high heaven. If links meant less defense than shields would have to actually do something.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
With this decay thing going on, the least Niantic could do is have the XP gain from charging scale with your level. 10 is nothing and the obscenely slow speed of being L7-going-on-L8 had made me drop the game like three times.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Cithen posted:

boned again

And again... This iOS release teasing is bordering on the absurd.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

This might make me guarding my one Guardian portal a lot easier, as everyone else will be scrambling to keep up the farms. So they may not be motivated to hit a portal that you literally have to walk down a forest trail to reach. Same with my Capture count, as portals decay out faster than they can be maintained. I'm so close to Silver on that badge.

The increased drop rate for cubes is also welcome. I've been like Scrooge with those things.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 12, 2014

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This happens even on expensive flagship devices. GPS only needs to be "good enough."
I just ran GPS Status & Toolbox (first time I've used GPS today) and got a time to first fix of 2 seconds and a precision of 33 meters. I'm indoors. I have a Moto X, not a high end phone, if you can't get a good enough lock to play Ingress your phone is broken. Try using GPS Status to clear AGPS data if you're having problems.

Cithen posted:

And again... This iOS release teasing is bordering on the absurd.
The joys of the Google/Apple dickwaving war.

WeX Majors posted:

Also, my point about the Link Amp still stands. It's a mod designed to do the exact opposite thing of what the rest of the game is designed around (going local). Really Portals should just have that ability full stop.If I can link some portal on the jersey shore out to...idk, somewhere in Africa, why should I need a mod to do that?
Look at how many resonators of each level you can deploy on a portal. Working as a team to do anything big is as much a part of the game as going local.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 13, 2014

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Sounds like it finally hit the app store.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ingress/id576505181?mt=8

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Count me in, just signed up in Edinburgh, UK. A friend has been playing for a while on Android and she's got me interested. I joined resistance to be on her team and it would seem that there's way more resistance than enlightened in my local area. Is there a way to see the overall player counts? A brief look at the intel map suggests that the overall score is pretty even, at least.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

thehustler posted:

Count me in, just signed up in Edinburgh, UK. A friend has been playing for a while on Android and she's got me interested. I joined resistance to be on her team and it would seem that there's way more resistance than enlightened in my local area. Is there a way to see the overall player counts? A brief look at the intel map suggests that the overall score is pretty even, at least.

There's no way to see the overall player counts, but it's about 60/40, with the Resistance being the larger part of the fraction. Out-of-game, I have the suspicion that it's because the players who chose that side romanticize the idea and like the sound of being part of The Resistance.

In-game? If anyone with a camera asks me at an anomaly I say "I feel bad for them, really - Fire can burn your house, but that's no reason to fear the stovetop."

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Is there a way to delete your account or change sides?

I originally signed up as Resistance a while back to see if my Android tablet would be sufficient to play, but now that I can actually play with iOS I think I want to join Enlightened.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cithen posted:

Is there a way to delete your account or change sides?

I originally signed up as Resistance a while back to see if my Android tablet would be sufficient to play, but now that I can actually play with iOS I think I want to join Enlightened.

If only there was a way to find out such things

https://support.google.com/ingress/answer/2892252?contact=1

You can can change faction once, it effectively resets you to 0 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Aramoro posted:

If only there was a way to find out such things

https://support.google.com/ingress/answer/2892252?contact=1

You can can change faction once, it effectively resets you to 0 again.

They are currently at 4 weeks out on these.

• Locked thread