Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wednesday posted:

These priests are awesome dudes, and this shard of Enkidel's psyche is an El shard through and through.

1. A - Yes
2. G - Yes
3. M - Yes
4. S - Yes
5. Y - Yes
6. Ze - Yes
7. N/A
8. Zh - No, I am not intentionally lying

I vote this ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus is colourblin
Apr 13, 2008

Being colourblind ain't easy :(

Tomn posted:

On my journey here I met a priest who provided his king with bad advice on El's will, telling him what he wanted to hear instead of what El wished. As a result, great calamity befell the king. How does the House of El try to prevent such things?
This is an important question.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Kohen, what was the deal with the Zviv cave near Zepath, who was the demon the goblins were serving?

What about the strange armour that Tudiya sent up here?

I'd like to know more about the threats that Zepath would face if I may eventually become king

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
1)D: I am uncertain if El existed when no other things were - we have no idea if this is true.
2)H: I do not think El made everything that was - I do think there are other powers out there that are outside El's influence, based on presences and claims that we sense. Some areas are distinctly not El's territory - I think some things exist in the world El did not create.
3)Q: Maybe. I worship El, but does the Temple truly do El's work, or the Melachim's?
4)S: Mercy is never misplaced. I believe it.
5)Y: I believe they will act when necessary.
6)Zf: Maybe you teach and guide men - but do you truly protect from the horrors that lay beyond? - it seems all men may not go to Mt. Har, if we are being honest. That doesn't seem like protecting.
7)N/A
8)Zh - no lies.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Neraren posted:

She was DEFINITELY not a normal lady. She did the whole "disappear as soon as she was out of immediate eyesight" thing. She was a divine messenger, and divine messengers are Melachim. She might have been one of the minor Melachim who don't even have names, perhaps, but she was a Melachim all the same.

Are Indor and Puabi Melachim? They're not normal ladies, either.

Vavrek posted:

I believe the idea is that the Priesthood of El have invisibility spells.

This, basically.

I think that the hard-to-see figures can disappear, change appearance, and possibly teleport when not directly viewed. The "melachim" sent us to confront Zobah directly only after we cornered her after defeating Prince Saul. If I remember correctly, she was standing partly behind the edge of a building when we spotted her; she disappeared behind that same building after relaying her message for us. We only got that message because we ignored Ashkalon's leader in order to march a few hundred yards to chat with a woman that no one else was able to detect.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Jesus is colourblin posted:

This is an important question.
Frankly all of Tomn's questions here are excellent, but this one in particular stands out--it seemingly puts the lie to this priest's claims... unless that was actually deliberate sabotage against the serf-keeping king. That'd be awfully devious, though.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

A
G
N
T
Zc
Zf - maybe

Only lying in that El is only one of the names the Creator might use. Otherwise true beliefs.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Ralith posted:

Frankly all of Tomn's questions here are excellent, but this one in particular stands out--it seemingly puts the lie to this priest's claims... unless that was actually deliberate sabotage against the serf-keeping king. That'd be awfully devious, though.

Well, I don't know if it puts the lie to the priest's claim, exactly - if a member of the Red Cross tells you that their organization wants to heal people, and then it turns out that one of their doctors was an rear end in a top hat who was in it to steal and sell meds at jacked up prices, does that mean the Red Cross guy was lying?

Main reason I asked that one really was because it seems like church control is kinda loose and indirect, and indeed his own stated philosophy seems big on letting people have their way. Given that, then, and given that man is fallible, what mechanisms does the House of El have in place to prevent idiots or assholes from coming into power, or to correct/replace them if they become assholes or idiots after coming into power?

On an unrelated side note, re: question 2, I'm a little surprised to see so many "Yes, El made everything" votes. We've got pretty good reason to believe that something other than El made goats, sparrows, and eagles, after all. Do we feel that El is some kind of Melachim collective consciousness, or that if El made the Melachim and the Melachim made goats then effectively El made goats, or did we just forget that Azzazel was talking up the creation of goats all day?

Also, just had a thought.

Diog, another question for the list and I apologize if you thought you were done with them:

Is it important to you that I believe you? Why?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I might have misread the vote, I thought we were voting to say that El was ultimately responsible for basically creating everything, not that he literally created everything.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
QUESTION: The temple is massive and I don't think I can explore the entire place in just one trip. Are there any places you recommending visiting within the temple? Like a really beautiful artwork or a good bar? (this place is bigger than a city; it has a bar)

QUESTION: Any place you recommend visiting in Baitel?

Edit: I voted yes to El made everything because all things did come from El. El made Azzazel, Azzazel made goats, goats still ultimately come from El. El is the first cause of all things.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 4, 2014

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

1. "El, Eternal, existed when no things were." - You say...
A. Yes.

2. "He made all that is" - You say...

L. Yes, though perhaps not directly in some cases.

3. "...and through this House, we do His will." - You say...

Q. Maybe.

4. "From this House we teach men to be kind to each other" - You say...
S. Yes.

5. "...and when they do more than can be borne, rarely and with great trepidation, we stop them from doing more harm." - You say...
Y. Yes.

6. "We guide men, teach them and protect them from the horrors that lay beyond." - You say...
Ze. Yes.

8. Are you intentionally lying in any portion of your response?
Zh. No.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Yes to everything, truthfully.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

I am uncertain to everything, telling the truth.

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

Mr. Wednesday posted:

These priests are awesome dudes, and this shard of Enkidel's psyche is an El shard through and through.

1. A - Yes
2. G - Yes
3. M - Yes
4. S - Yes
5. Y - Yes
6. Ze - Yes
7. N/A

+1 vote to plan wednesday

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Mr. Wednesday posted:

1. A - Yes
2. G - Yes
3. M - Yes
4. S - Yes
5. Y - Yes
6. Ze - Yes
7. N/A

A guy named Mr. Wednesday should know better than to blindly put their faith in gods.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Neraren posted:

E: Ask "Has word reached you yet of what transpired at Tadmor?"
The old priest nods and he says "It has, yes. King Joram won a mighty victory, though at great cost."

Tomn posted:

On my journey here I met a priest who provided his king with bad advice on El's will, telling him what he wanted to hear instead of what El wished. As a result, great calamity befell the king. How does the House of El try to prevent such things?
"All of our number are taught. A sad few disregard their lessons, believing what they wish to be true, instead of what they know to be true, some even convince themselves there is no difference."

Tomn posted:

Do you think Tudiya was right to leave Bareen alone until she bought disaster to Zepath?
"The decision was Tudiya's, he is the King of Zepath."

Tomn posted:

What was the nature of the rag the village priest gave us that allowed us such easy passage through Baitel's checkpoints? And why was he so willing to offer it to us with so little prompting?
Aharon says to you "It acted as a marker to let the guards know your group was safe. It was given to you, because your group was and is."

Tomn posted:

While you try to teach men to be good, surely men are men and thus fallible in the face of great wealth and power. Is there much corruption in the church?
"Sometimes men are confused, but no, there is no corruption. No man comes to this House seeking wealth or power or other baser desires, those who do are turned away, or learn better ways."

Tomn posted:

How does the House of El pass down its teachings and traditions? Through clay tablets or oral traditions? If the former, may we see these tablets someday?
Aharon says "Many ways. If you joined this House, you would be permitted to see many of our records, perhaps all, depending on how high you rose."

Tomn posted:

I have seen in my travels men who have become serfs, tied to a hereditary king instead of one chosen by virtue. What is the position of the House of El on such practices?
"It is a... delicate matter" Aharon says "The Jubilee is to be respected. Any man who brings a surf to this city will have the surf freed, their familly as well and if the owner attempts to take vengeance upon the man's familly or the man, they will be punished."

Tomn posted:

How would you define what is good, and what makes an upright man?
Aharon says "There is a story, perhaps you know it? A man goes to Ophal" the Melachim of learning and a number of other things "and says to Ophal, give guide to be good to other men, while standing on one leg. The man smirks, for he thinks the answer so complicated, it cannot be done, even by an Ophanim. Ophal lifts one foot off the ground and says in response "That which is hateful to you, do not do to others. The rest is commentary." Perhaps it is" Aharon says.

Tomn posted:

How did you personally come to join the church, by the way?
The old priest tells you that "My father was a member of this House."

Tomn posted:

Do you believe El will ever turn his face from us if humanity as a whole proves insufficiently righteous?
He shakes his head "Never." Mankind are El's children, he only wishes them the best.

quote:

Tudiya once spoke of the failing faith of men, and worried that this would cause us to become vulnerable to demons. Does piety truly protect against demons? If so, how?
Aharon says "I will leave such matters, for the time, between you, Tudiya and the priests of your city."

Tomn posted:

In Zepath, boys are expected to spend a month in the dangers of the wild and return only with a suitable offering before they are deemed men. What is the House of El's position on such practices?
"This is a matter for Zepath, not the House of El."

Tomn posted:

Out of curiosity, what HAVE you heard of me in Baitel, before I arrived?
Aharon tells you that "A number of things. Among them, that you have done a great deal to keep the edge of Ur safe, leading a band of common men to the fury of the wilds, that you slew a Zviv, that you brought a minotaur to our very gates. Other things."

Tomn posted:

Often in my life I have met priests who knew things I would not have expected them to know, things spoken in private or things done far away. What is the source of such knowledge?
"Without knowing which priests and which things were said, I could not say."

Tomn posted:

The statues in the courtyard just now - they each seemed unique. Do they depict individual Melachim? If so, are their names labeled anywhere and may I examine them at leisure later? I REALLY want to see if Azzazel is depicted here and how he matches up…
Aharon nods and says to you "They are many of the Melachim. Not all of them mind you, they are greatly numerous, but many of them." Depending on your actions later, we can put in an examination of the statutes to look for Azzazel if people want to.

Tomn posted:

Does the House of El offer lessons in how to be cryptic? If so, can I sign up? I would like to return the favor.
Aharon gives a small laugh and says "Perhaps. If you wish to, I suppose it could be aranged."

maxhush posted:

I'd like to know more about the threats that Zepath would face if I may eventually become king
"Strife with it's neighbors, the beasts of the mountains and of the sea."

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

QUESTION: The temple is massive and I don't think I can explore the entire place in just one trip. Are there any places you recommending visiting within the temple? Like a really beautiful artwork or a good bar? (this place is bigger than a city; it has a bar)
He says "I will arrange a tour for you and your kin, when you wish it."

You are speaking with a priest about whether or not you are a candidate for King of Zepath. It should, hopefully, not come as a shock that certain topics are on the table right now. Perhaps he will answer some questions, clearly, he did, but there are surely that he is not interested in answering at this moment. Aharon did not actually invite you to ask him questions in a free for all, nor promise to answer questions on any topic. He is asking you a question, but as you converse, perhaps you ask him some as well? Such as those being asked. You can ask whatever you like, but if you breach a topic he does not want to discuss, he is going to decline to answer. Because of the other-worldly rules we play for asking questions, it is entirely possible you might ask many questions in a row which he does not want to discuss, though it is entirely possible, depending on the topic, that he might answer all of them.

Tomn posted:

Why did El create demons?
"That is not something we should discuss for now."

Tomn posted:

Do you think it possible, or even wise, to destroy all demons everywhere and free all men from their rule?
"That is a matter for another day."

maxhush posted:

Kohen, what was the deal with the Zviv cave near Zepath, who was the demon the goblins were serving?

What about the strange armour that Tudiya sent up here?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

If anyone can do a count, I will update.

Absum
May 28, 2013

1.D
2.J
3.M
4.S
5.Y
6.Ze
8.Zh

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

quote:

"Sometimes men are confused, but no, there is no corruption. No man comes to this House seeking wealth or power or other baser desires, those who do are turned away, or learn better ways."

We've fought minotaurs, giant birds, insects, and lizards. We've seen giant men with the power to punch people through walls, or survive such impacts themselves. We've spoken to angels, and we've seen and used magic.

This statement is, by far, the most unbelievable thing in Ur.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Bularin posted:

We've fought minotaurs, giant birds, insects, and lizards. We've seen giant men with the power to punch people through walls, or survive such impacts themselves. We've spoken to angels, and we've seen and used magic.

Given the track record of what happens to people who do not follow Els will, I say it isnt really that unbelievable.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Greggster posted:

Given the track record of what happens to people who do not follow Els will, I say it isnt really that unbelievable.

Every old religion sports a god who's all into actively smiting lawbreakers. The Jews in the old testament are carrying around their god in a box and still do things to get smote all the drat time. It's human nature. That's what makes it so unbelievable.

Either he's full of poo poo, or the house of El rips free will right out of its clergy. Well, it could be atrocious writing, but the writer is named Diogenes, so I think it's safe to say that's not it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Or maybe the clergy uses mind reading to weed out corruption. All it takes is a few supermen not becoming corrupt, and we know of at least one that is here.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

LLSix posted:

Or maybe the clergy uses mind reading to weed out corruption. All it takes is a few supermen not becoming corrupt, and we know of at least one that is here.

A few men of great power not becoming at all corrupt. Right.

Even the melachim fight. We've seen it. We've also seen them break their own rules.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.... There is no worse heresy than that the office sanctifies the holder of it."

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Would this pretty much be confirmation that Ish is actually reporting to Baitel about us, as per what Bareen said? After all, we only told him exactly what she said to us, and this dude knows about it too. Unless he can bypass the fruit drink somehow I suppose

e: Ask how he knows exactly what Bareen said to us

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 4, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
"We have no evidence that corruption in the House of El doesn't exist, therefore it must exist!"

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Inserting a hefty dose of doubt! I am all for the church. I believe El exists and i believe in angels. But i will not take everything at face value!

1. "El, Eternal, existed when no things were." - You say...

C. I don't know.

2. "He made all that is" - You say...

I. I don't know.

3. "...and through this House, we do His will." - You say...

P. I am uncertain.

4. "From this House we teach men to be kind to each other" - You say...

S. Yes.

5. "...and when they do more than can be borne, rarely and with great trepidation, we stop them from doing more harm." - You say...

Za. I don't know.

6. "We guide men, teach them and protect them from the horrors that lay beyond." - You say...

Ze. I am uncertain.

7. Diog will try to craft an intelligible response from your expressed views. If you want to try to write one comprehensive response here, fill in.

Cool!

8. Are you intentionally lying in any portion of your response?

Zh. No.

C I P S Za Ze

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

paragon1 posted:

"We have no evidence that corruption in the House of El doesn't exist, therefore it must exist!"

Enkidel is a paranoid schizophrenic.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Follow-up questions!

Diogines posted:

Aharon says to you "It acted as a marker to let the guards know your group was safe. It was given to you, because your group was and is."

Why then did the guards think that we were unsafe to begin with?

Diogines posted:

What sort of confusion do you mean here?

Diogines posted:

"All of our number are taught. A sad few disregard their lessons, believing what they wish to be true, instead of what they know to be true, some even convince themselves there is no difference."

You say that some men believe what they wish to be true - could not some of these delude themselves into thinking that wealth gained through unrighteous means can be put to righteous ends, or that by glorifying themselves they would glorify El?

If your teachings can fail, cannot your shield against the corrupt fail also?

How can you tell when a man comes to the House of El in search of wealth and power?

What makes you choose to turn some such men away, and to accept others in to teach them better?

Should a man's baser desires take hold of him while he is in the House of El, how is his behavior and thought rectified?

Why is the House of El so insistent on not interfering with the affairs of kings, even going so far as to disavow judgement on their practices? Could not great good be done even with no more than an approving or disapproving word? I suspect I know the answer to this one already, but I want to get it out in the open.

Labaras was both first king and first priest, and led his people both in secular and religious affairs. Why do his descendents who ruled new cities not do the same, and lead both their cities and their temples?

Can very strongly Blooded men, who can see and do things that others cannot begin to imagine, still be truly called men - or are they something else entirely?

Never let it be said I pull punches for the House of El - everybody gets questioned alike. I'll know what they think, damnit, whether they're good or evil or anything in-between!

Bularin posted:

Even the melachim fight. We've seen it. We've also seen them break their own rules.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.... There is no worse heresy than that the office sanctifies the holder of it."

It's worth noting that the Melachim weren't CORRUPT, though. The rulebreaker we saw tended to be for fairly unselfish ends, and even the one major case of rulebreaking that might have been selfish (enjoying the pleasures of mortal life) was done in a remarkably unselfish manner. Oh dear, a divine being pretending to be a slave, how can they put themselves on their high horse with such infamy? And even then in the end he readily sacrificed much of himself to help another.

So far as can be told, the Melachim argue mostly over HOW to do good - pretty much none of those we've seen seem to disagree significantly with the fundamental idea that they SHOULD do good and avoid evil, though. The closest you get is Azzazel, but even through his irreverence he's apparently values virtue. They're not really a great case study of corruption, I think, though they may serve for red tape.

Also worth noting is that Tudiya is easily the strongest Zepathan native and could probably beat up everyone else in Zepath single-handedly if he wanted to. Despite this, he is one of the chillest people in Zepath, and by the standards of his culture upright almost to the point of fault. In fact, in our travels it seems like Bloodedness correlates fairly directly with how chill someone is, with the debatable exception of Ishamal. In a world of literal superhumans, I'm not sure how far arguing over pure "human nature" is going to get you. Sure, human nature tends to lead to great corruption when given great power, but human nature also doesn't tend to let people see souls, lift mountains, sense the fundamental fabric of reality, and go without pooping.

Besides, even if you do believe that human nature means that the great are inevitably evil in some way, that doesn't automatically lead to corruption in the "bribes and power-seeking" fashion. There are great men in our history who were unquestionably flawed and even in some cases evil, while at the same time being incorruptible or drat near as makes no difference. Someone can be a complete rear end in a top hat and do horrible things to people in the name of something or other while living a life of personal austerity and strictly-defined personal limits on power.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
QUESTION: I got some really good advice the last time I asked this, so I'll ask you, please share your wisdom with me.

And if the priest asks what the other advice was, tell him the line about drinking when you can, eat when you can, and "sleep" when you can.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Tomn posted:

It's worth noting that the Melachim weren't CORRUPT, though. The rulebreaker we saw tended to be for fairly unselfish ends, and even the one major case of rulebreaking that might have been selfish (enjoying the pleasures of mortal life) was done in a remarkably unselfish manner.

If the angels break the rules, why would you believe that men wouldn't?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Bularin posted:

Because the point was whether they broke the rules for to satisfy greed and ambition or some other reason. Unless you really want to argue that "corruption" means "failure to abide by every single niggling bureaucratic law."

Oh no, I removed the tag on my mattress, I guess that means I'm corrupt!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Bularin posted:

Guys, I got it: instead of directly accusing the clergy of hiding corruption, we ask How do you deal with differences of opinions

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Tomn posted:

Because the point was whether they broke the rules for to satisfy greed and ambition or some other reason. Unless you really want to argue that "corruption" means "failure to abide by every single niggling bureaucratic law."

Oh no, I removed the tag on my mattress, I guess that means I'm corrupt!

No, the point is that El's supernatural bully boys don't follow the rules and don't get smote. It puts the lie to the idea that divine intervention immediately puts down anyone who goes off the straight and narrow.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Bularin posted:

No, the point is that El's supernatural bully boys don't follow the rules and don't get smote. It puts the lie to the idea that divine intervention immediately puts down anyone who goes off the straight and narrow.

I'm genuinely curious, did you really believe that I was suggesting that literally everybody who broke any rule for any reason would get an immediate lightning bolt to the rear end and that was why there wasn't widespread and systemic corruption in the church?

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Bularin posted:

To be fair to the priest, it was a ridiculous question to ask. Even if there was massive corruption running rampant in the temple, the priest wouldn't have told some random stranger he just met for the first time in his life. And certainly not while on duty.

Yes on trying to look up Azzazel's statue (and that of other familiar faces) in the courtyard, though I do not expect to find anything useful. He told us never to mention him; he looks like the type that likes his privacy.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

If someone could count, it would be helpful.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Tomn posted:

I'm genuinely curious, did you really believe that I was suggesting that literally everybody who broke any rule for any reason would get an immediate lightning bolt to the rear end and that was why there wasn't widespread and systemic corruption in the church?

Actually, that line of thought started with Greggster stating that smiting insures the straight and narrow.

Regardless, you're tilting at straw men now. The idea that there isn't "widespread and systemic corruption in the church" isn't on the field. The statement that there is absolutely no corruption in the church is, and that falls under bullshit, divine brainwashing, or poor writing/understanding of human nature. Pick your poison.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
fake edit: apparently we are looking at the same issue.

Bularin posted:

Perhaps by 'corruption' the priest means systemic corruption, and he uses 'confusion' as a polite euphemism for individual troublemakers.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Tomn posted:

How can you tell when a man comes to the House of El in search of wealth and power?
"We ask them, of course."

Tomn posted:

What makes you choose to turn some such men away, and to accept others in to teach them better?
"Their willingness to learn."

Tomn posted:

Should a man's baser desires take hold of him while he is in the House of El, how is his behavior and thought rectified?
"They are taught better ways."

Tomn posted:

Why is the House of El so insistent on not interfering with the affairs of kings, even going so far as to disavow judgement on their practices? Could not great good be done even with no more than an approving or disapproving word?
"Because men cannot be forced to be wise, they can only taught to be so. No such actions interfering with a King's domain is taken lightly, nor without grave consideration."

Tomn posted:

Labaras was both first king and first priest, and led his people both in secular and religious affairs. Why do his descendents who ruled new cities not do the same, and lead both their cities and their temples?
"It is the will of El" the old priest tells you.

Tomn posted:

Can very strongly Blooded men, who can see and do things that others cannot begin to imagine, still be truly called men - or are they something else entirely?
"They are men."

I am sticking any question along the lines of "second guessing El's temple" in the "This guy is interviewing you to be King and just asked if you accepted El's teachings, are you going to grill him about the security and/or corruption of El's temple" category. Please weigh in if you want to ask these.

Tomn posted:

Why then did the guards think that we were unsafe to begin with?
What sort of confusion do you mean here?
You say that some men believe what they wish to be true - could not some of these delude themselves into thinking that wealth gained through unrighteous means can be put to righteous ends, or that by glorifying themselves they would glorify El?
If your teachings can fail, cannot your shield against the corrupt fail also?

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

QUESTION: I got some really good advice the last time I asked this, so I'll ask you, please share your wisdom with me.
"Hmmm" Aharon says "I suppose you want ancient wisdom then? How about this then? Among those who stand, do not sit; among those who sit, do not stand. Among those who laugh, do not weep; among those who weep, do not laugh."

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Guys, I got it: instead of directly accusing the clergy of hiding corruption, we ask How do you deal with differences of opinions
"Only El is perfect in his wisdom" Aharon says "but there is no quick way to find it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Bularin posted:

Empty