Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

drrockso20 posted:

It just comes off as too cynical and way too much of a middle finger to the Mecha genre for me to want it anywhere near SRW

Nadesico has been in SRW. Like, twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caphi posted:

Nadesico has been in SRW. Like, twice.

Heck, I think it has been in a few more times than that.

And that certainly takes the piss out of the genre more than 3.0 ever did.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Srice posted:

Impact, MX, Advance, R, W and J off the top of my head. And I might be missing some.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Srice posted:

Most of it's appearances are on the portable games. It's in almost every single GBA one (A, R, J) and W, also.

The only mainline console SRWs it's showed up in are MX and Impact.

Evangelion is actually part of MX too, but I don't recall the series interacting that much.

I really miss Nadesico, because they're cool as heck 'lil robots who have cool themes!

e:fb

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Prince of Darkness doesn't really count, but TV Nadesico has more scorn for the genre and anyone who likes it than every version of EVA. SRW just converts all the piss-taking to non-irony and makes Gai the hero and the troll ending into a serious love story, just like it gets Shinji to become all about friendship and duty along with everyone else on the team.

It's not even like world-shattering apocalypses are new to the Z setting, either. They've been through several and they'll go through several more, Third Impact or otherwise. The Age of the Sun is upon us, and the cycle of 12,000 years is about to close, you know?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

TARDISman posted:

That was D, where poo poo got crazy just when Char was about to drop Axis then he thought "waaaaaaaaaaait a minute... this may not be good for the planet!"

Char does drop Axis in D, at the end of the prologue. Axis then misses the Earth when the Ruina cause Earth to disappear. At this point Char doesn't know if Earth is ever coming back, but the space colonies and moon are still here, so he decides it's Neo Zeon's duty to protect the spacenoids from the Zanscare and Gishin Empires' aggressions. Amuro and Captain Bright, who previously had been captured as POW, are given an offer to join Neo Zeon. At first they refuse, but they reluctantly change their minds when they see that the Earth really is gone.

Later on when the Earth does come back, Roger Smith negotiates a merger/teamup between Neo Zeon and the Order of the Zodiac, who had served a similar role on the sealed sunless Earth. OZ had also previously joined up with the League Militaire as well as the super robot armies from Getter Armageddon, giving you most the fully assembled team, named Blue Swear by default.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Caphi posted:

Prince of Darkness doesn't really count, but TV Nadesico has more scorn for the genre and anyone who likes it than every version of EVA. SRW just converts all the piss-taking to non-irony and makes Gai the hero and the troll ending into a serious love story, just like it gets Shinji to become all about friendship and duty along with everyone else on the team.

It's not even like world-shattering apocalypses are new to the Z setting, either. They've been through several and they'll go through several more, Third Impact or otherwise. The Age of the Sun is upon us, and the cycle of 12,000 years is about to close, you know?

Nadesico is cynical in a different way than Evangelion, I think. I dunno if you can call it 'more cynical' considering how much of the series is a balance between extreme cynicism in the reality of the situation and the silly poo poo the cast does to balance it out. Even Prince of Darkness has some semblance of that balance, though it's thrown off by how absurdly grim Akito's situation is alongside the more melodramatic tone the whole movie has.

It's like, Nadesico's cynicism can be stripped away and still maintain it's identity to some degree because of how positive the characters are. But with EVA, that whole schtick is the core aspect to the series' identity, so it has to be integrated more into the games' plot when it's in.

What's troll-ish about the ending of Nadesico, though? I don't really recall any aspect about it being really troll-ish, just a continued mix of that tone of an extremely grim situation and the cast doin' silly stuff while trying to make the best of it. They can't stop the war because they're just a few people, but at the very least they have the ability to strip away the ability to fight the war for a short period and all of that, right?

Maybe I should rewatch the series because I seriously don't remember it being that cynical about the mecha genre besides the obvious stuff surrounding the whole Gekiganger stuff with Akito and the Jovians, though that's also a pretty major part of the plot too.

edit: seriously them themes aww yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP1_qtn8TN0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lRVT3sh418

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 1, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Bertram Weatherby posted:

Looks like Stage 58 of Z3.1 has been translated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A90wx3tNBJ8

It's rather satisfying to see Gatorade the Space Hobo completely lose his mind.

Ahahaha Advent is being such a prick to Gadlight, I've seen nothing of Z3 other than attack videos but I love it.

edit: Holy poo poo this entire level is just the good guys being absolute bastards to the bad guys who apparently deserve it. This is the best.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 1, 2014

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!
The new Dynasty Warriors Gundam has a custom music feature. Gurren Lagann/Gunbuster soundtrack here I come!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Eternal Volfogg posted:

The new Dynasty Warriors Gundam has a custom music feature. Gurren Lagann/Gunbuster soundtrack here I come!

Yesssss.

I'm still annoyed that I can't get G Bankaran's theme to show up in Z3's custom music list. I made room and everything, but Boss Borot has to go without.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yesssss.

I'm still annoyed that I can't get G Bankaran's theme to show up in Z3's custom music list. I made room and everything, but Boss Borot has to go without.

I can just imagine Boss singing "Ore wa Boss Borot, jan jan janjan jaaaan!" and it is glorious.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yesssss.

When was the last time we got a surprise like G Bankaran in a SRW game? G Bankaran came out of nowhere and is probably my favorite OG robot now. All the mainline games either show every series in the CG opening or in the attract mode. I think it would be awesome to just have something like Layzner just show up unannounced out of nowhere midgame.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ethiser posted:

When was the last time we got a surprise like G Bankaran in a SRW game? G Bankaran came out of nowhere and is probably my favorite OG robot now. All the mainline games either show every series in the CG opening or in the attract mode. I think it would be awesome to just have something like Layzner just show up unannounced out of nowhere midgame.

That might happen in an OG title, but it'd make no sense in a mainline game. If you're including Layzner in the game, why wouldn't you want to advertise the fact to attract Layzner fans?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Hellioning posted:

That might happen in an OG title, but it'd make no sense in a mainline game. If you're including Layzner in the game, why wouldn't you want to advertise the fact to attract Layzner fans?

I understand business wise why you wouldn't do something like that I would just like to be surprised ever once in a while.

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!

Ethiser posted:

I understand business wise why you wouldn't do something like that I would just like to be surprised ever once in a while.

Yeah, I mean like the man himself Gai appearing in GGG on a random stage Rom Stoll style in Z3 to drop a goldion hammer, id buy an extra copy, just to show my love to banpresto :swoon:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/02/duraxyll-nezeria-join-super-robot-taisen-og-saga-masou-kishin-f/

Well, not to be outdone by her sister, Xenia is also getting an upgrade for this game: a retooled Duraxyll.

And...."Tudy" appears to be back. Unless I'm forgetting the first game, shouldn't Tudy no longer exist since the Wendy route involves eradicating the Tudy personality from Wendy?

E: Larger and clearer scan image

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 3, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I only just realized that Terada "11/11 is the best birthday" is a Scorpio so I'm hoping we get a new original in Tengoku hen.

I know that Hibiki in the Genion shows up in the preview but I can dream.

Reive
May 21, 2009

So I picked up OG2nd on a whim never having played an SRW game, I figured out a lot of stuff just by poking around with a menu translation guide, but I'm still confused about some things.

1. What exactly do the shoulder buttons do when preparing to attack/being attacked? I think one of them lowers the enemy's chance to hit but that's all I can tell.
2. Why do some attacks get greyed out? Some use energy and some seem to have limited uses, but beyond that there's a number next to greyed out ones that I can't correlate to anything.
3. What does it mean when an attack is colored differently (say green)?
4. What are the different options when using paired units?

Beyond that I just have the same issues I have with other rpgs/tactical games in that I have no idea what I should be spending my money on upgrading, or weather it's more important to use it on mech stats or pilot stats, but that's more game theory stuff, I don't think I'll really be able to screw myself in the long run can I?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Reive posted:

So I picked up OG2nd on a whim never having played an SRW game, I figured out a lot of stuff just by poking around with a menu translation guide, but I'm still confused about some things.

1. What exactly do the shoulder buttons do when preparing to attack/being attacked? I think one of them lowers the enemy's chance to hit but that's all I can tell.
2. Why do some attacks get greyed out? Some use energy and some seem to have limited uses, but beyond that there's a number next to greyed out ones that I can't correlate to anything.
3. What does it mean when an attack is colored differently (say green)?
4. What are the different options when using paired units?

Beyond that I just have the same issues I have with other rpgs/tactical games in that I have no idea what I should be spending my money on upgrading, or weather it's more important to use it on mech stats or pilot stats, but that's more game theory stuff, I don't think I'll really be able to screw myself in the long run can I?

I haven't played OG2nd (because I'm one of the few people here that doesn't really care for the originals) but I can answer a few of these.

1. In other games, it's usually a quick way to rotate between "attack/defend/dodge" during a counterattack. You can tell which is which by looking at how many percentages you see on the screen on each option.

2. If an attack is greyed out despite you having enough EN or ammo to use it, it means one of three things:
- That attack is not in range of any valid targets
- That attack is not usable after moving. Attacks labeled with a "P" mean they are post-movement attacks. Anything without it is usually regulated to long range or sniper-like attacks.
- You may need more morale/will to actually use the attack. Most finisher-style attacks require a certain minimum before you can actually use it.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 4, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

I haven't played OG2nd (because I'm one of the few people here that doesn't really care for the originals) but I can answer a few of these.

1. In other games, it's usually a quick way to rotate between "attack/defend/dodge" during a counterattack. You can tell which is which by looking at how many percentages you see on the screen on each option.

2. If an attack is greyed out despite you having enough EN or ammo to use it, it means one of three things:
- That attack is not in range of any valid targets
- That attack is not usable after moving. Attacks labeled with a "P" mean they are post-movement attacks. Anything without it is usually regulated to long range or sniper-like attacks.
- You may need more morale/will to actually use the attack. Most finisher-style attacks require a certain minimum before you can actually use it.

To use this for reference:

Left most section is the weapon name. (Green weapons are equipped weapons. You can swap them between most mechs that arent super robots)

Next will tell you if its an ALL attack (can attack both people in a twin) along with C for combo, generally melee attack that can combo through a bunch of enemies, F which I dont remember what it stands for, but you need an F weapon to participate in maximum breaks, and W which is a modifier on ALL attacks that let you hit both dudes in a twin and then two people in an adjacent twin as well.

Third column are the properties of the weapon, I guess you could say. S inflicts a status effect, P means you can use it post-movement, B means its a beam weapon (some enemies have extra defense against beam weapons and they also dont work as well under water).

4th column is the attack power.
5th is the attack range. 3-8 means you cant attack units that are 1-2 squares next to you.
6th is the bonus accuracy on the attack.
7th is the bonus critical chance on the attack.

In the bottom left here:
The top in the Ammo count/Total ammo
Energy usage (in the picture's case, zero) with the total current energy on the unit in parentheses.
Morale requirement. Blank means no morale requirement, parentheses is your current morale on that unit.

4. When attacking a twin with a twin, its asking if you want to use both your units to attack the main in the twin, or have each unit attack a separate one.

KoB fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 4, 2014

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Reive posted:

Mechs and pilots are upgraded with separate resources (money vs Pilot Points), so no need to worry about that part. As for who to upgrade, most SRW games are fairly easy such that you can get by with any combination. Most players tend to pick favorites to max out, but spreading upgrades around is fine too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SRW games are super easy, really. Even if you never upgrade anything at all, most are still total cakewalks. There's maybe four games in the entire series that put up any real resistance. Just upgrade whatever mechs/pilots you like so that they can make bigger numbers pop out.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, they're designed so you can play however you want, so you can reenact your favorite anime fantasies, and still win. It's getting SR points that gets somewhat challenging from time to time. Still, the same tactics work 90% of the time.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you're really not sure about upgrades even after the prior posts, try this approach. Just play without any for as long as you can and see how far you get. By the time you find yourself sorely wanting something better, you'll probably have a better idea of where you want to put your money.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

If you're really not sure about upgrades even after the prior posts, try this approach. Just play without any for as long as you can and see how far you get. By the time you find yourself sorely wanting something better, you'll probably have a better idea of where you want to put your money.

Yeah, I straight up never upgrade until I get a feel for which units I like, unless it is a character I've got a particular fondness for and know I'll want to use even if they suck.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I straight up never upgrade until I get a feel for which units I like, unless it is a character I've got a particular fondness for and know I'll want to use even if they suck.
I upgrade units that I know are going to be forced/mission critical units in lots of stages, including original units, and carriers.

But then, that's all completely out the window in Z3-1 since you have enough money to upgrade every unit in the game to at least 50% by the end of the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I just upgrade everything equally. v:shobon:v

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Always max upgrade Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, and whatever Amuro is piloting. Also always max upgrade all Scopedogs ever. And prioritize the Boss Borot above all else.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mercury Crusader posted:

And prioritize the Boss Borot above all else.

This is true.

Never not max out Boss.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I'm kind of sad that Shin Mazinger is gonna be the default Mazinger to use from now on, because my favorite part of new SRW games was seeing how Banpresto was going to animate classic Boss Borot's attacks. I guess they could make Shin Mazinger's Boss Borot have hilarious attack animations as well, but they seemed to have limited the goofiness to missed attack animations and failed-to-pierce-the-barrier animations.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Thanks for the info guys!
I don't seem to be having any real difficulty yet so I'll just put off upgrading stuff unless I really feel I need it

Also is there like a cheatsheet for characters and mech names? Like a character select screen for a fighting game with just their face and name.
Literally the only ones I know is Ibis is that one girl and Granveil is the dragon-y mech.
I need to get a non OG game next so I sound like I know things.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Does it make me a bad person if I say TV Tropes is pretty much where I go whenever I have no clue what characters are who?

If so, I wholeheartedly reccomend it

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I picked up most of the mech names over the years by looking over their profiles at mahq.net. I think it lists pilot names there too.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/srw/srw.htm

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I do a baseline 2 upgrades to mech accuracy on anything that's going to attack a thing. From there I'll sometimes do 2 mobility on dodge men and 2 health on tank man and from there I just do whatever as I need it or my faves turn up or I go "crap I haven't used that guy and he's being forcibly deployed, time to spend 60k on this guy"

While we're here, I'm on Z2.1 after doing Z and Will seems really slow to come by. Obviously it's because there's like 1/3 as many enemies throwing themselves on everyone, but it feels like the Will+ on X skills are way worse for it, or maybe they've always been bad and I'm only just noticing it now, though they still felt useful (if not actually useful) even with just twin units in OG2nd. Or maybe I'm just super bad at getting the AI to fight the right dudes.

Reive posted:

I don't seem to be having any real difficulty yet so I'll just put off upgrading stuff unless I really feel I need it

Also is there like a cheatsheet for characters and mech names? Like a character select screen for a fighting game with just their face and name.
Literally the only ones I know is Ibis is that one girl and Granveil is the dragon-y mech.

I'll see if I can whip something up!
Edit: I won't bother with SRX + R1-3 + Gun because their names are all in english anyway. Starting with stuff you'll get to control.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 4, 2014

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Reive posted:

You could also grab the GBA OG games, which are in English. It has most of the same characters so you'll know who is who at least.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Also always max upgrade all Scopedogs ever.

Always. After all, in the next episode, Chirico brings you with him to Hell.

Bertram Weatherby fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 4, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

People who didn't use that attack to kill the final boss of Z3.1 were playing a different game than me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

People who didn't use that attack to kill the final boss of Z3.1 were playing a different game than me.

Always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqAmzPj9bLE

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I love how the video's title is completely accurate.

edit: this video is a testament to everything SRW is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Ethiser posted:

Yeah, Votoms is one of my favorite mecha anime series so I make a point of turning Chirico into an avatar of Death. And thanks to him getting some of the best cut-ins in the series, he ends up getting the kill on most bosses.

• Locked thread