Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Apparently Anita Sarkeesian made some sort of statement at a TED talk or something like that, where she said that Mirror's Edge (an example of a game with leading girl characters and poo poo) should be made easier because most girls weren't very good at games.

I can't verify how authentic that statement was, it doesn't seem like the whole talk is available online, but it does strike a rather hollow chord. Whether Anita is cynically profiting off the online feminist movement or not, it's a dumb statement to make and I've never felt her other complaints were particularly insightful. She basically hates damsels in distress. I argue that rescuing princesses is fun, it's the ultimate abstraction of "doing good"--saving a pure-hearted maiden from an evil dragon. It's an archetype as old as time.

I heard that Anita Sarkeesian had a hot guy murdered, skinned and set up in her apartment by a taxidermist in classic beefcake pose, yet she hates the "women as sex objects" trope. I can't verify this, but I heard about it online somewhere. It was pretty messed up of her to use all that money to objectify a man when she hates female objectification so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

She did poo poo on Sex Workers on her latest video, which is like the only thing I can go "How dare you" at her.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

DStecks posted:

I have plenty of Jewish friends, and lots of them like The Merchant of Venice.

And while I really didn't want to become part of the Sarkeesian conversation, this little parody makes me think of something else to mention: she makes a long, labored point of saying at the start of each of her videos that you can enjoy something while still recognizing there are elements that are less than fantastic about it. Yet the Internet Boy Brigade acts like she's telling them that all video games are bad because there are some lovely messages presented through them. The same thing happened to the reviewer who "only" gave the latest Grand Theft Auto a 9 because she pointed out that there were still some rather insulting portrayals of women in the game, even though as a whole she felt the product was fantastic.

I don't think she's particularly insightful, but she's rarely wrong, either.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

OrangeKing posted:

I don't think she's particularly insightful, but she's rarely wrong, either.

That's really my biggest problem with her honestly, besides her having no stage presence that is. Like, I enjoyed the Skyward Sword rant in that Sequelitis video, but in the end I didn't come away from it knowing anything I didn't already know. I feel the same way about every point in Tropes vs Women, minus the enjoyment. It feels like Anita is just making a laundry list and doesn't really bring anything to the table. Doesn't mean she shouldn't try, but it feels like Tropes vs Women is a huge waste of resources because of it.

e: Unrelated, anyone remember that time moviebob gave Super Mario 3D World an 8/10 and cited a negative as 'Bowser still the villain'

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 4, 2014

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

The Steak Justice posted:

That's really my biggest problem with her honestly, besides her having no stage presence that is. Like, I enjoyed the Skyward Sword rant in that Sequelitis video, but in the end I didn't come away from it knowing anything I didn't already know. I feel the same way about every point in Tropes vs Women, minus the enjoyment. It feels like Anita is just making a laundry list and doesn't really bring anything to the table. Doesn't mean she shouldn't try, but it feels like Tropes vs Women is a huge waste of resources because of it.

I do agree with that. I want her to be successful almost just because of the circumstances she's been thrown into, but it would be nice it she brought a little more to the table. I watch her videos because I think anyone who is successfully bringing attention to these issues deserves support, but it would be great if they were a little more engaging, or if these were an introduction to something more substantial.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Tracula posted:

Joe really has gotten leaps and bounds better since his stupid bullshit with Geoff and that horrible interview where he tried to represent all gamers or whatever.

I've never gotten why people always take Geoff's side with that interview, since I thought he came off as a butthurt douchebag to me who went after Joe for insulting his precious VGAs. It's a moot point though, since Joe caught up with him the next year and cleared things up - essentially, he found out that Geoff was never informed about the 15min sit-down interview Joe was promised by the VGAs PR guy. So essentially, what you're seeing in that video is Geoff, thinking Joe has just arrived there demanding an interview completely out of the blue, and Joe, having been promised a sit-down interview, being told "You got two minutes" with no warning. So, yeah - clusterfuck.

Also, where was the 'represent all gamers' thing? Because I believe he addressed this criticism later on and clarified that he doesn't proclaim to 'be the voice of all gamers', he was referring to how he gets his viewers to post/send him questions and then he asks those questions in his interviews, thereby 'representing the gamers' by asking their questions.

quote:

He gets a lot of credit from me for just basically saying "quit being misogynist manchildren you assholes and I'm ashamed some of you are fans of mine." It was in more words than that but it was the general idea.

Yeah, this. Those fans haven't disappeared though. On a post he made announcing he was now single, at least one shithead was like 'sweet bro now you don't have to pretend to be a stupid feminist'.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 5, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Oh I'm not on the Dewrito Pope's side about the interview, I think that Joe just bungled it and made more of an rear end of himself than anything he was trying to accomplish. It was just at THAT moment Joe was pretty unprofessional and unprepared. I do recall the follow up interview he did going much, much better though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Tracula posted:

Oh I'm not on the Dewrito Pope's side about the interview, I think that Joe just bungled it and made more of an rear end of himself than anything he was trying to accomplish. It was just at THAT moment Joe was pretty unprofessional and unprepared. I do recall the follow up interview he did going much, much better though.

Well yeah, and that's why the later explanation makes so much sense - he WAS prepared, for a 15min sit-down interview, and he literally had to retool the thing and decide which of his questions he would ask, right there on camera when Geoff tells him he's got two minutes.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
As someone who has done a few interviews, I'm sympathetic to Joe's point that it's hard to get anything out of people unless you really press them and give them something they're not used to. That said, there are times it works and times where he comes off bad. Overall, I think he does a pretty decent job.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BreakAtmo posted:

Well yeah, and that's why the later explanation makes so much sense - he WAS prepared, for a 15min sit-down interview, and he literally had to retool the thing and decide which of his questions he would ask, right there on camera when Geoff tells him he's got two minutes.
Unfortunately that happens a lot with those kinds of things, but after watching that interview I felt like Geoff heavily contributed to it being a trainwreck.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Mutation posted:

The Canadian guests were kinda bland but oh man that ending. :allears:

The ending made the context for Rich screaming in pain from another room during the Shovel Knight/Ducktails Remastered stream even more hilarious. I can't wait until they finally figure out what other movies would work for the melting people themed BotW in addition to Street Trash. :sbahj:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unfortunately that happens a lot with those kinds of things, but after watching that interview I felt like Geoff heavily contributed to it being a trainwreck.

Yeah, he comes off to me as an rear end in a top hat with a vendetta against Joe for his prior video pointing out various problems with the VGAs - though again, the PR guy promised Joe a 15min interview with Geoff and never told Geoff, which makes him a lot more sympathetic since it likely seemed to him that Joe just came there demanding an interview out of nowhere. It's arguable that the whole thing really was the PR guy's fault, with Joe and Geoff both making understandable mistakes due to each one having bad information.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My favorite was when Major Nelson ripped the mic from Joe's hand during an interview at least year's E3. Dude didn't respect Joe at all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair if I see a dude who looks and dresses like Joe I sure as hell ain't respecting him either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marlamaid Swordhand posted:

The ending made the context for Rich screaming in pain from another room during the Shovel Knight/Ducktails Remastered stream even more hilarious. I can't wait until they finally figure out what other movies would work for the melting people themed BotW in addition to Street Trash. :sbahj:

I really hope that next week's stream turns out as great as they're hyping it up to be: Jessi playing Katamari Damacy and Mike vs. Jack's wife in a Dr. Mario throwdown.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

did Doug really make a "Top 10 Hottest Women" video please tell me that video is hiding something and swerves in some cool direction

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That reminds me of the painfully embarrassing "Top 10 Hottest Animated Women" video I saw from CR or whatever his name is on TGWTG where he spends actual time trying to rationalize his erection for Simpsons characters.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

That reminds me of the painfully embarrassing "Top 10 Hottest Animated Women" video I saw from CR or whatever his name is on TGWTG where he spends actual time trying to rationalize his erection for Simpsons characters.

Don't forget he put Sailor Moon on there, then brings up he didn't know she was a 14 year old in his Sailor Moon review.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Skunny Wundy posted:

did Doug really make a "Top 10 Hottest Women" video please tell me that video is hiding something and swerves in some cool direction

He really likes girls to show their belly buttons.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As someone who was actually sympathetic to you during your Sarkeesian conversation earlier in the thread, gently caress you and gently caress you hard for mentioning that. I avoid Doug Walker videos for good reason and now I know something about what gets him hard. I can't unlearn that.

Leal posted:

Don't forget he put Sailor Moon on there, then brings up he didn't know she was a 14 year old in his Sailor Moon review.

Hahahahahaha jesus gently caress. I really wanted to like that guy when he first showed up but he is just straight-up creepy.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 5, 2014

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Skunny Wundy posted:

I think you're required to do one of those when you apply for your internet critic license. Doug did hottest women, Lyndsay did hottest dudes, Lupa did hottest dogs...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What about Hottest Hotdogs? I'd watch that video.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

if you're going to make a list then have some balls and describe in graphic detail what you want to do to waluigi.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Robert Zadar creeps me out. He looks like a real-life Dick Tracy villain.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skunny Wundy posted:

if you're going to make a list then have some balls and describe in graphic detail what you want to do to waluigi.

Oh please no one wants to hear about that, it's well known Waluigi cries during sex anyway. :v:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'll admit I was being pretty goony about Joe's interview. He was caught off guard and it really does sound like it was kind of a poo poo situation all around the first time.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Tracula posted:

I'll admit I was being pretty goony about Joe's interview. He was caught off guard and it really does sound like it was kind of a poo poo situation all around the first time.

That's the thing - EVERYONE knows about the interview and loves ragging on him for it, virtually no one knows about the reality behind it, likely due to him not finding out and discussing it until months later, it was in one of his E3 2011 videos.

Also included in those videos - discussing of how totally awesome Prey 2 looks.

:smith:

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Joe can be really annoying, and the skits in his videos mostly suck, but he just seems like a really nice, well-intentioned, hyper-enthusiastic guy most of the time. I get not being a fan, but the crazy amount of extreme vitriol that gets thrown at him whenever his name is brought up is always really surprising to me. They're not masterpieces of criticism or anything, but even when it comes to his reviews I don't think he gets enough credit.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

Also, where was the 'represent all gamers' thing? Because I believe he addressed this criticism later on and clarified that he doesn't proclaim to 'be the voice of all gamers', he was referring to how he gets his viewers to post/send him questions and then he asks those questions in his interviews, thereby 'representing the gamers' by asking their questions.

TBH that comes across as being lazy. He could have said "I've got a pool of questions to ask him. However, what would you like to ask him?", adding the questions that seem more fitting.

A sidenote about the recent Sequelitis: The premise was so silly that even Satchbag accidently called out on it a year and a month ago, as if he got some sort of odd divination and decided to address it.

Btw if you want an extra bit to go with Campster and TUN type analysis, SatchBag might be in your bag right there! He's a bit more forgiving and nice about things and his work has way, way better production than a lot of other folk's output. I wanted to post about him a while ago, but I started laughing at that part.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 21, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's Trenchf00t, a warmongering Mencius Moldbug scrub of a man that stated he doesn't give a poo poo about asking for consent when loving and has the typical internet atheist ordeal of having a chip on his shoulder about anyone that isn't a white male. Are we going to start having "fair clean assessments" about The Amazing Atheist as well? Christ, even his Solar Roadways video has him bemoaning he dared have a woman that doesn't have a technical degree on the job!

Seriously, we shat on some anime dork for pages just for commissioning SFDebris to do a series he dug and Campster for going "Yo, Civilization as a series has a flaw or two as someone who digs it" and suddenly we are starting to give a platform to loving Trenchf00t?

Kunster fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 5, 2014

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 21, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

"A Potential Douchebag"? He's Spoony circa a few years ago if he knew how to bullshit with "Your Logical Fallacy IS" and sided along with The Amazing Atheist.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kunster posted:

Btw if you want an extra bit to go with Campster and TUN type analysis, SatchBag might be in your bag right there! He's a bit more forgiving and nice about things and his work has way, way better production than a lot of other folk's output. I wanted to post about him a while ago, but I started laughing at that part.

I dunno, I tried Satchbag a while ago and, frankly, he's got great production values but no real substance to his work. Like, he tries, he really does, but he falls short of actual analysis and trips backwards into the trap of mechanical reviews that every other video game reveiwer does, only removing the scores and replacing them with whatever emotional impact the game left on him. Like, here's his video on the Stanley Parable, now compare that with Campster's video. That's the difference between "my thoughts and opinions" and "critical analysis and dissection of intentions".

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 5, 2014

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Jesto posted:

I don't know who he is, I just listened to the video after listening to the newest Tropes vs Women and thought he made a very good argument with regards to Object / Subject and the problems / lack thereof with Hitman.

I don't tend to write off a well researched argument just because the person behind it is a potential douchebag, either.
:lol:, get hosed.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

So he's like a very, very forgiving Campster. Incredibly So. Can work well on some cases, not when he has to poke at something a bit more full, and I can see that point the BioShock Infinite video during the Dissonance part.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 5, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kunster posted:

It's Trenchf00t, a warmongering Mencius Moldbug scrub of a man that stated he doesn't give a poo poo about asking for consent when loving and has the typical internet atheist ordeal of having a chip on his shoulder about anyone that isn't a white male. Are we going to start having "fair clean assessments" about The Amazing Atheist as well? Christ, even his Solar Roadways video has him bemoaning he dared have a woman that doesn't have a technical degree on the job!

For a moment I thought this was an alternate identity of that Thunderf00t dude, who's also an Internet atheist and also critical of Sarkeesian (and feminism in general): the Rational Wiki, of all places, posted a takedown of his takedown a while ago.

What is it about feminism that manages to make otherwise liberal-minded people get a bit bent out of shape? Would a cultural relativist or post-colonialist or post-structuralist critique of video games be subject to the same opprobrium?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nope! Same guy! I recognized his rear end due to the Solar Frigging RoadWays TakeDown plus the "Why People Laugh At Creationists" series, which at some point turns into "Look at the character of this guy I took a bone to" for a good part of it and one of the episodes is outright "WE MUST BOMB THE gently caress OUT OF THE MIDDLE EAST TO TURN IT INTO A LIBERAL PROGRESSIVE STATE! EAT A DICK, FERRIS BUELLER'S PRINCIPAL!!"

Yes on the first, probably not on the two latter.

I love the Double Dragon point because he forgets that Marian was an equal to Billy and Jimmy Lee on the story + Jimmy being the one who kidnapped Marian, enforcing a story that on a post apocalyptic world, the only one to take on someone like Marian was someone who was just as devoted as holding the technique he does as him. And motherfucker couldn't even be bothered to google a bit for that particular plot point.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 5, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure the Double Dragon games's stories are good for any argument, some of them start with Marian getting killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The continuity is kind of hosed up. I'm going for the original game since that's the one he's quoting.

• Locked thread