Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Geekboy posted:

Dating Protip: When going for a literal long walk on the beach with a pretty lady, don't forget to put sunscreen on your feet.
LIFEHACK: Dig your feet all the way in the sand when you're at the beach. That way they won't get sunburned. At least, that's always been the case for me.

If you're at a beach that doesn't have the type of sand you can dig your feet into, well....uhh.....

Slice of Lifehack: I got a Taco Bell gift card for my birthday the other day, which I used to get dinner tonight. I got a jar of pickled jalapenos at the grocery store yesterday, so when I got home from Taco Bell, I opened up my quesadilla/soft taco and loaded them down with jalapenos. Holy loving god, putting your own jalapenos on Taco Bell makes it infinitely more edible.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Slice of Life: The park I work at was packed with over 80,000 people to watch fireworks tonight. It was insanity. The fireworks were rad as hell though (they shot them off from all around the park for a 360 view)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Slice of the 4th: NYC's fireworks moved to the East River this year, so Jersey City (my town) did their own show from New York Bay / Liberty State Park. I didn't feel like watching the fireworks with 150,000 people in a park with a single-lane exit road, so my wife and I went down to the Bayonne shipping piers and watched both shows at once, in the shadow of the Giant 9/11 Vagina. It was a real good time, and we got deep-fried hot dogs after. God bless America.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Slice of Lifehack: I got a Taco Bell gift card for my birthday the other day, which I used to get dinner tonight. I got a jar of pickled jalapenos at the grocery store yesterday, so when I got home from Taco Bell, I opened up my quesadilla/soft taco and loaded them down with jalapenos. Holy loving god, putting your own jalapenos on Taco Bell makes it infinitely more edible.
True story: when I was a kid, my dad would punish me by rubbing jalapenos in my teeth. To this day it's hard for me to eat them. I love chipotles, though, so go figure.

Speaking of birthdays, mine is on the 11th. I wish there was some polite/discreet way to sneak into casual conversation that people should look at my Amazon wishlist…

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
At least you'll get a free Slurpee on your birthday.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

CloseFriend posted:

Now I can see why you guys get so bummed when your favorite bands have personnel changes. I just found out about Jade Castrinos getting voted out of Edward Sharpe last month and I am now sad as hell. :smith:

My favorite band called it quits with a press release that was like "Hey if we keep making music we're probably going to go downhill. Band over", which is a pretty weird thing to do, but I guess it's good that they recognized it?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Toebone posted:

in the shadow of the Giant 9/11 Vagina
Who the gently caress thought this was a good idea :stare:

Deep fried hot dogs is something I have never had but would be very interested in trying.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

LIFEHACK: Dig your feet all the way in the sand when you're at the beach. That way they won't get sunburned. At least, that's always been the case for me.

If you're at a beach that doesn't have the type of sand you can dig your feet into, well....uhh.....

It's hard to do this and walk for miles.

Holy poo poo, people. Really don't sunburn your feet. Especially before leaving on an overnight camping trip the next day.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Who the gently caress thought this was a good idea :stare:
I'm pretty sure Putin was giggling to himself like a fiend through the whole thing.

Or maybe he thought this would happen.

Discount Viscount posted:

At least you'll get a free Slurpee on your birthday.
You know, I've never once actually taken advantage of that. The nearest 7-Eleven is about 90 miles away, and I'm feeling tempted to just make the drive anyway.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Hold on. They seriously give out free slurpees on 9/11? :wtc:

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.
Happy fourth of July, my fellow people of the Unites States, have this obligatory gif.

Toebone posted:

in the shadow of the Giant 9/11 Vagina.

Oh my god, I thought you were exaggerating. You were not exaggerating.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Geekboy posted:

Dating Protip: When going for a literal long walk on the beach with a pretty lady, don't forget to put sunscreen on your feet.

I read an entire terry pratchett on the beach once in a single sitting and forgot to do this. I had to go to the hospital, I couldn't fit my feet into my shoes. To this day, one foot is (probably unnoticeably to everyone but me) bigger than the other.

SoL: I'm considering putting together a showreel of stuff I've made, but all of my stuff is ridiculous poo poo that's only worthwhile in the context of the internet. Eventually I'm gonna have to accept the fact my sense of humor makes me unemployable.
...Does anyone who works in video need an intern? :angel: I technically already work one, but I think the company might be about to combust. The one person working there who actually took a wage just quit.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

CPL593H posted:

Hold on. They seriously give out free slurpees on 9/11? :wtc:

:911: 7/11 NEVER FORGET :911:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Snowpiercer was ehhh but when I got home I started reading The Terror by Dan Simmons, which is also about a bunch of people trapped on a ship that they'll freeze to death if they leave, and it's really good.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hewlett posted:

This is a correct statement, though in my instance it's been "spend the 4th cooking a shitton of awesome food and watching the fireworks from a giant bomb-rear end patio...in Chicago still."

Patios are so ground level, it's all about top floor corner apartments where, if you stand in the very corner room, you can never not be seeing a firework go off in the Chicagoland area.

My new apartment is kinda cool.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
So I somehow threw my back out on my birthday, which lead to me drinking too much English beer and watching Apollo 13 with my wife, which I used mostly as an excuse to ramble on about how much we need to go back to the moon. Hope you all had a good 4th, people in the past. :911:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

morestuff posted:

If you can spend the 4th on a Chicago rooftop, I'd recommend it.

It was my first 4th of July in Chicago and I was at a rooftop party last night and it owned hard. Also, I think the party I was at won the neighborhood firework war, because goddamn. Lastly, going to bed at about 3am to wake up at 6am for work is always a horrible experience, but totally worth it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Vargo posted:

Slice of Life:

I was at the Philly Jam concert put on by The Roots tonight, and about halfway through Nicki Minaj's set, people in my section of the area start screaming and running and someone yells something like "Shooting!" and the whole crowd rushes to get out. I made it out okay, I can't tell you for sure whether or not I heard actual gunfire, being the 4th of July and all. As I walked home I overheard a cop telling someone (possibly lying) that everything was okay, nothing had come through the scanners.

I can't find any news reports about it now, so I may or may not have escaped from a shooting zone tonight. But POSSIBLY I was in a crowd of people that got freaked out and scattered for no reason.

EDIT: There were definitely cops moving towards that spot while I was running out, though.

Apparently it was just some fool setting off fireworks. According to philly.com:

quote:

She then launched into the sentimental uplift of "Moment 4 Life," whose beats some fool in the crowd decided to punctuate by popping off a supply of fireworks.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/20140705_On_the_Parkway__Roots_and_friends_celebrate_the_Fourth.html#6O9bDvB0YbykoKkI.99

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 5, 2014

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Snowpiercer was ehhh but when I got home I started reading The Terror by Dan Simmons, which is also about a bunch of people trapped on a ship that they'll freeze to death if they leave, and it's really good.

It's great at first but it just keeps going, and it's more of the same. Which is sort of thematically appropriate for a story about guys stuck in Arctic ice for years, but it gets awfully dull.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Dark Horse Conan comic from 2004 is incredible. It's straight adaptations of the stories with great art. The first issue basically opens with Conan murdering the poo poo out of a rapist. Three pages later he cuts three guys in half at once. This is before you get to the four issue adaptation of Rogues in the House, wherein Conan fights a gorilla in a cape that thinks it's a man in a house full of death traps with his bare hands.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I can't fully hate The Mist because of the few great moments of imagery and because I love the excellent and very cinematic use of fades and zooms; especially effective in the black and white version.

But man, that ending is like a perfect storm of poo poo. I kinda love it. And think it's utter trash.

Rewatched Rec 2 and it seems like one of few movies whose usage of 'glitchy imagery' isn't intrusive and hokey but instead extremely unrealistic but integrated in such a way to serve more purpose than merely hiding cuts. It gives certain scenes an amazingly dreamy vibe, it's great.

I told my friend who's not very cinema savvy to watch Alien, because it is one of the greatest movies ever made.

Thanks to the lack of the number 4 after the name, she watched Alien: Resurrection instead.

I am so, so sorry.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Apparently it was just some fool setting off fireworks. According to philly.com:

This is what I supposed it was.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DeimosRising posted:

It's great at first but it just keeps going, and it's more of the same. Which is sort of thematically appropriate for a story about guys stuck in Arctic ice for years, but it gets awfully dull.

It's almost like it needed someone to take the film and edit it to make it more audience-friendly.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Vargo posted:

This is what I supposed it was.

we had some poor soul with ptsd go into a panic attack the last outdoors show i was at, because some twat decided to light some firecrackers. dude hit the ground so fast, it almost looked like he was going for the fetal position out of sheer instinct.

it was very sad to see.

edit: i'm assuming he had ptsd, because generally people in denmark don't panic over fireworks.

spaceships fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 5, 2014

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I bought dvds of Head of the Family and Frankenstein Unbound at a Stop and Shop yesterday. Coulda bought Netherworld but I passed. Did I do good, cined?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CloseFriend posted:

True story: when I was a kid, my dad would punish me by rubbing jalapenos in my teeth.

:stare:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

therattle posted:

It's almost like it needed someone to take the film and edit it to make it more audience-friendly.

It's almost like he was talking about the book and not Snowpiercer.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Literally The Worst posted:

It's almost like he was talking about the book and not Snowpiercer.

To be fair I thought he was talking about Snowpiercer too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I bought dvds of Head of the Family and Frankenstein Unbound at a Stop and Shop yesterday. Coulda bought Netherworld but I passed. Did I do good, cined?

I also bought a copy of Head of the Family at a gas station. Good gas station buy.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Yeah I feel like the thread just kind of flew past that one.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Does anyone know what the score for The Purge 2 is like? It looks awesome but I can't imagine anything but an ultra-80s John Carpenter esque synth score fitting it, and the lack of that in the trailer is mildly worrying.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Does anyone know what the score for The Purge 2 is like? It looks awesome but I can't imagine anything but an ultra-80s John Carpenter esque synth score fitting it, and the lack of that in the trailer is mildly worrying.

Same composer as the first movie, which I seem to recall being pretty bland.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The radio spot for The Purge 2 begins with "Liberty Bell" by Sousa, also known as the Monty Python's Flying Circus theme song.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah I feel like the thread just kind of flew past that one.
So the childhood punishment was making CloseFriend dislike a delicious condiment for the remainder of his life?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A day watching the Mad Max movies is a day well spent.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You know you'd really think the one named Opie would be the racist

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The radio spot for The Purge 2 begins with "Liberty Bell" by Sousa, also known as the Monty Python's Flying Circus theme song.

Ahahaha.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

therattle posted:

I guess I phrased that poorly but I was being literal with the "Arctic" part, I meant The Terror. Simmons will literally repeat, word for word, the same pop-history facts about characters (most of the characters are real dudes)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

You know you'd really think the one named Opie would be the racist

Just because Anthony was the one caught being racist doesn't mean Opie isn't racist.

Honestly, those gus have always struck me as pieces of poo poo and their continued popularity amazes me. They're friends with some funny people but that's really about it. I always think back to the time they got fired from the local Boston station and just how unfunny and lovely the thing that got them fired was.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Gnaw: Food of the Gods II has everything. People in giant rat costumes attacking a high school synchronized swimming event, horribly executed depth perception camera trickery, someone accidentally getting in the corner of multiple shots, a very bizarre sex dream sequence, an exterminator character with a giant flamethrower who has clearly been influenced by the Man with No Name, and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtChPB6NjJY

That's why I am deeming it YTOTD:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr3aCdUugiU>

e: full movie link no longer embedded, because boob.

• Locked thread