Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

You are amazing, thanks.

ClassH fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
So in long war, how do I do which UFOs to use Stingrays/Avalanche missiles on?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

So in long war, how do I do which UFOs to use Stingrays/Avalanche missiles on?

This is good as of Beta 9A. Should still be pretty accurate as of Beta 12. Only major additions are the Aggressive (+15% Aim to XCOM and UFO), Normal (No Modifier), and Defensive (-15% Aim to XCOM and UFO) stances.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Does anyone know what research/foundry project you need to unlock the new Wingtip Sparrowhawk foundry upgrade?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Solarflare posted:

Does anyone know what research/foundry project you need to unlock the new Wingtip Sparrowhawk foundry upgrade?

I haven't done it in Beta 12 yet, but it should be it's own foundry project that gets unlocked by Advanced Aerospace Concepts, which requires Experimental Warfare and Alien materials.

Synergy013
Jul 24, 2007
Series of tubes?
Is anyone else not having alien interrogations showing up after capturing a few of them? Caught an outsider, muton and a thin man on a single mission and although the game keeps prompting me to do so I don't seen them in my gray market inventory or as a research option. Is this a known bug in b12 I didn't have it before.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Synergy013 posted:

Is anyone else not having alien interrogations showing up after capturing a few of them? Caught an outsider, muton and a thin man on a single mission and although the game keeps prompting me to do so I don't seen them in my gray market inventory or as a research option. Is this a known bug in b12 I didn't have it before.

Probably you haven't done an autopsy yet - autopsies are prereqs for interrogations in long war

edit: Just started playing Long War and I'm loving it so far. One thing that is a little rough though is me under-estimating how large a soldier pool you need once your soldiers start taking hits and taking their month-long recovery vacations. Fatigue is manageable but fatigue + an ever-growing bench of 5-8 guys who are out for 20 days has started to screw me over and made me lean towards playing extremely safely

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 5, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^^^ Yeah, it feels like what I really should be able to do is set several teams and then pick a whole team at once depending on who is up and sub in temps for wounded or rookies that need trained.

amanasleep posted:

This is good as of Beta 9A. Should still be pretty accurate as of Beta 12. Only major additions are the Aggressive (+15% Aim to XCOM and UFO), Normal (No Modifier), and Defensive (-15% Aim to XCOM and UFO) stances.

Thanks! Next question: Does hurting but not shooting down a UFO affect the tactical mission after it lands or should I just not bother shooting at anything I cannot kill? Actually, related to that, do I need to send out a token intercept/abort for the early large contacts to avoid panic for ignoring them?

Had a supply barge land on like day 3 or something, so I took an all rookie team to check it out - it turns out that with flashbangs you can kit 'nid packs, although I bailed out after killing one pack and some seekers - and surprisingly no-one got a promotion from their kills. Still. hopefully having some advanced corpses early will be useful.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 5, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

amanasleep posted:

So basically you should only be using Avalanche missiles to shoot down Scouts, and they're inferior in all other cases. Whew, glad all planes start with them equipped by default instead of the also-free Stingray missiles!

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Honestly probably the best thing they could do for the air war is just eliminate changing weapons on fighters altogether and just make unlocking the technology equip your crafts with that weapon, or else have a foundry upgrade that does it. Switching weapons around my different fighters is just stupid and frustrating.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Finally succeeded in getting four Satellites launched in my first month of vanilla EW. However I am heading into the first terror mission with only rookies

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I am bored with my Normal run of Enemy Within.

Should I do an Implassic/second wave combination or jump to Long War?

I am legit curious as to how things will turn out in either case. I haven't been xcomming on normal. :( It's just been... target neutralized target neutralized BEEP BOOP I PUNCHED IT x-ray down

also i love that your dudes say x-ray down at unmodified exalt

edit: I thought Implassic was Classic enemies in an Impossible game, not the other way around. :(

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 5, 2014

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Hog Butcher posted:

I am legit curious as to how things will turn out in either case. I haven't been xcomming on normal. :( It's just been... target neutralized target neutralized BEEP BOOP I PUNCHED IT x-ray down

edit: I thought Implassic was Classic enemies in an Impossible game, not the other way around. :(

Jump into Long War, mod owns and they're doing some really fun stuff. I like the sheer amount of customization and specialization you can do with your troops, especially since they added more weapon types (Battle rifles, assault rifles, carbines, SMGs, LMG/SAW, marksman/sniper rifles, SAWED OFF SHOTGUN SECONDARY :hellyeah:)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hog Butcher posted:

Uh moving up to classic or Long War from normal is going to be a kick in the balls either way because normal cheats in your favor and classic/impossible/Long War absolutely do not.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hog Butcher posted:

Implassic is classic difficulty with Impossible enemy counts. Just do a normal classic run before that.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Zore posted:

Uh moving up to classic or Long War from normal is going to be a kick in the balls either way because normal cheats in your favor and classic/impossible/Long War absolutely do not.

Don't listen to this guy, getting your teeth kicked in is fun!

fake edit: For real though I didn't see the part where you were playing on normal, classic is going to be pretty hard even in just the base game. If you find classic in vanilla easy, THEN move up to Long War.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

But Not Tonight posted:

fake edit: For real though I didn't see the part where you were playing on normal, classic is going to be pretty hard even in just the base game. If you find classic in vanilla easy, THEN move up to Long War.
And when you do, play LW on Normal. Really.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you've almost finished your Normal run, you might as well play out the last mission and get the extra second wave options.

Xcom gets really boring towards the end when there's nothing to do but stall until the final mission.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Long war question: is it normal to be scrounging up on alloys? I got enough scientists that sometimes I'm stuck on not being able to research anything because I ran out of alloys and can't seem to build what I need to. Anything I should know to keep up?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Hopeford posted:

Long war question: is it normal to be scrounging up on alloys? I got enough scientists that sometimes I'm stuck on not being able to research anything because I ran out of alloys and can't seem to build what I need to. Anything I should know to keep up?

The same thing happened to me, until one month two abductors landed and I managed to secure them. So just wait it out I guess. Capturing an intact UFO gives a metric ton of alloys.

Zokalwe
Jul 27, 2013
LW question: How do negative funds affect you? Those EXALT dickheads just brought me down to -137, and thanks to my last satellite being downed the council funding at the end of the month won't bring me back above 0.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you've almost finished your Normal run, you might as well play out the last mission and get the extra second wave options.

Xcom gets really boring towards the end when there's nothing to do but stall until the final mission.

I did not know there were extra second wave options. Thank you!

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

ArchangeI posted:

The same thing happened to me, until one month two abductors landed and I managed to secure them. So just wait it out I guess. Capturing an intact UFO gives a metric ton of alloys.

Thanks, I'll try just hanging in there until then. That and Elerium--I keep running out of materials. The strange thing is, that should frustrate me, but it doesn't. I remember that when I was out of Sectoid corpses to progress the plot because I kept fulfilling requests that I probably shouldn't have, which ended up being way more fun than it should. It's like I'd see one Sectoid and I'd be like "YES. HUNTING SEASON ON SECTOIDS!" I don't know, I'm just having some fun not having all the resources I need.

Zokalwe
Jul 27, 2013
drat EXALT has really become super bullshit in current LW. The maps are just filled with them, there's no place to move so it's just a long game of rolling the dice hoping for a streak of luck. Very unfun. Especially with this stupid limitation of 4 operatives. Not accounting for their ability to bring the treasury in the negative figures. I'm soooo tempted to use the dev console to get rid of them. (and at heart, I'm an Iron Man player...)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Zokalwe posted:

drat EXALT has really become super bullshit in current LW. The maps are just filled with them, there's no place to move so it's just a long game of rolling the dice hoping for a streak of luck. Very unfun. Especially with this stupid limitation of 4 operatives. Not accounting for their ability to bring the treasury in the negative figures. I'm soooo tempted to use the dev console to get rid of them. (and at heart, I'm an Iron Man player...)

Make that 4 person squad all rocketeers with tons of ammo.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Zokalwe posted:

Explosives are your best bet. No, please, AI, bunch up behind that cover. I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

That and only sending rookies on covert ops. If the map just isn't conductive to a 4 soldier mission (i.e. the two relays are more than one dash apart), just head back to the skyranger and good luck to the covert operative on his future endeavors.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
I saw this asked in the long war nexus thread (edit: or maybe it was while skimming the many pages of this thread last night ) but I didn't see an answer: is there any reason I should try to intercept anything besides small ufo's in the early months before I have aircraft upgrades?

1. Is the panic amount different if you intercept a ufo and then abort, rather than ignoring?
2. If I attack a medium ufo, damage it a little, than attack it again with a different plane, does that damage carry over? IE can I use a bunch of planes to overwhelm one big ufo?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

TheresNoThyme posted:

I saw this asked in the long war nexus thread (edit: or maybe it was while skimming the many pages of this thread last night ) but I didn't see an answer: is there any reason I should try to intercept anything besides small ufo's in the early months before I have aircraft upgrades?

1. Is the panic amount different if you intercept a ufo and then abort, rather than ignoring?
2. If I attack a medium ufo, damage it a little, than attack it again with a different plane, does that damage carry over? IE can I use a bunch of planes to overwhelm one big ufo?

1) Not anymore, as of b12. As far as panic is concerned, there's no difference between ignoring a UFO and trying but failing to shoot it down.
2) Yes, damage carries over.

Also, I believe (but it's hard to be sure) that if you damage a UFO without downing it, there's a chance that it'll abort whatever mission it's on. So if the UFO is out on a bombing run (which would increase terror), then you might be able to save a bit of terror by poking it with a missile and running away. This is probably more useful for chasing off the UFOs that are hunting your satellites.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How can Exalt bring you into the negatives? It's just silly for them to be able to steal money that isn't there.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
They pickpocket XCOM's AMEX off Bradford while he's out at lunch.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
From what little I can play between crashes, Long War is incredibly fun. The increase in missions alone is huge, and it made me realize how often vanilla XCOM would wait a week or more between any actual combat happening. Now I'm fighting UFOs and abductions almost every other day, and the game just seems so much more packed. Returns are smaller, but you have far more opportunities and the game lasts a lot longer so you can be in it for the long haul. The best way I've seen Long War described was that it's way harder in the short term (missions easier to fail, operatives die easily, aliens loving everywhere) but much more forgiving in the long term to compensate (you're expected to lose some missions, you can win nations back, etc.). It's a nice balance.

Air combat still sucks though.
Also hoping for more stability, CTDs are driving me crazy.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I figure the stealing of money isn't necessarily taking bags of physical cash out of the safety deposit in XCOM headquarters, but filing false liens and lowering the credit ratings of people they find out are affiliated with XCOM. You need money to push you out of debt because allowing governments to audit or detain your employees or corporations that work for you is too large of a security risk to wait.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SlothfulCobra posted:

How can Exalt bring you into the negatives? It's just silly for them to be able to steal money that isn't there.

X-com just has a bank account. Exalt is overdrawing your bank account to pay off the mortgages for that fancy HQ.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

For long war Exalt missions I make a save before sending the skyranger so that I can reload and get a different map if need be. Some of the smaller maps are just impossible with the ridiculous numbers of troops they spawn now. I had one where I would consistently end up with 15 activated exalt on the first turn no matter what I did, and there was no way to reach a com node with my covert operative. I love these missions when they are actually possible, though. They start out with a frantic firefight to secure the nodes, then end with a rush to the skyranger with like 10 exalt in pursuit.

I'm also having a big issue with running out of alloys. I finally have cash to spare, but I don't have any alloys to build any of the new toys I want. I'm playing on Not-so-long-war, though, so it may be that the alloy costs aren't balanced for that mode yet. I've been shooting down plenty of UFOs, but even mediums are only giving me like 11 alloys. I have tons of Elerium and Meld, though.

Zokalwe
Jul 27, 2013

teddust posted:

For long war Exalt missions I make a save before sending the skyranger so that I can reload and get a different map if need be. Some of the smaller maps are just impossible with the ridiculous numbers of troops they spawn now.

I think I'll start doing that. Just finished one of those missions, oh god it was awful. Exalt coming from everywhere Even with the covert operative running from nodes to nodes (they were really perfectly positioned for that), everybody ended up in the hospital. (+ a rookie lost, but hey, :xcom: ). Plus, gently caress rockets. Not EXALT's, mine. Never going in the right direction.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Zokalwe posted:

I think I'll start doing that. Just finished one of those missions, oh god it was awful. Exalt coming from everywhere Even with the covert operative running from nodes to nodes (they were really perfectly positioned for that), everybody ended up in the hospital. (+ a rookie lost, but hey, :xcom: ). Plus, gently caress rockets. Not EXALT's, mine. Never going in the right direction.

"You've been standing still for the last three turns, how do you manage to shoot a rocket at a 45 degree angle to the target!?"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Exalt is bullshit. Yeah we're just going to have six heavies spawn and all hit you with rockets, that sounds fun.

I fill like half my squad with SHIVs and just sacrifice them, it's the only way.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I learned the hard way that it's generally a good idea to accuse the nation that withdraws right away of harboring EXALT, because there's no penalty associated, and for all you know, that's where they were the whole time.

So many EXALT missions I didn't have to do . . .

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Is there a way of knowing how many "total ranks" you have outside of manually counting them? I want to know how far I am from certain upgrades in the officer training school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Hopeford posted:

Is there a way of knowing how many "total ranks" you have outside of manually counting them? I want to know how far I am from certain upgrades in the officer training school.

It says your total ranks on the OTS screen.

• Locked thread