Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Those magnificent bastards read his book.

edit

Dear Germans,

The Koenig Tiger will just have to be penetrated from the rear, like your swine of a mother.

Regards,

The Russians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Soviet Dickbutt, stat.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Huzzah, I think that's it.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

dublish posted:

Current orders, please correct me if I'm wrong.

[*]Kaisloc

Kaislioc posted:

1st Rifle Company, Machine Gun section (Maxim M1910): Get in the truck.

1st Rifle Company, Machine Gun section (Maxim M1910)

Just so it's 100% clear: Deploy on the truck. Wait for for further orders.

Hallo Deustchers

Ich spreche barbarian nicht. Danke fur das mail.

Liebe du

Russland

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

dtkozl posted:

These are not my orders. SMGs are to take the rail station, the town is the rifles problem. Get your men in the objective and advance onto the train station. Use your MGs and anti tank gun to cover them.

Allow my men some time to organise before storming the rail station. Positions in the town momentarily will allow them to be fresh and ready for the fight at the station.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I think that GIF says it all, really. It's been looping the whole time was writing this.

Since we haven't got a deadline for orders yet, I'm going to do a draft order below. I'll make any changes tomorrow, and make it official 24h from now.

Draft order for 2-6, 76mm Gun "Phallic symbol of the Proletariat" and 2-7, Studebaker 6x4 Truck 'Move, you bastard'

Deploy in Square Q-14, Gun being towed by truck, plus any other units ordered to ride with us.

Immediately Move fast towards the ford, as per the map below. move quick across the ford, then move fast to N-3.

Any other units riding in the truck may be dropped off as per their orders, but don't deviate from the mapped route.

Deploy Gun near the edge of the foliage, viewing towards the forest at H-3.

Move truck behind buildings to the south, facing south.

Map:

End.

Herpicle, After reading what Dtkozl said, I've gone with position 3 because it'll support our company most directly as it moves to it's objectives. Moving fast on the roads is a calculated risk, I'm happy taking. Also reconsider the Q-4 position, it has good concealment, and sees straight down the railway, and sooner or later something will move along the rails.

Finally, I don't know about vehicle speed in the game, what is the best speed to cross the ford in this drat thing?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Jaguars! posted:

Herpicle, After reading what Dtkozl said, I've gone with position 3 because it'll support our company most directly as it moves to it's objectives. Moving fast on the roads is a calculated risk, I'm happy taking. Also reconsider the Q-4 position, it has good concealment, and sees straight down the railway, and sooner or later something will move along the rails.

Position 3 sounds fantastic.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Cool, we'll see how it goes.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Sorry all, have been having a very busy week/end between the holiday and my sister's wedding. :3

2nd Company - 1st HMG Detatchment

These will probably be amended based on feedback, but will stand until such time.

Deploy in Truck 2-7 along with Jaguars!'s 76mm gun 2-6 and ride with until out mutual dismount point (assuming we both fit which I think I read we did.)

Then, move quick to the house indicated, and set up for westward facing overwatch of the rail station.

edit: Orange = Fast, Yellow = Quick

(I'm not 100% sure we're in a good spot for this but it doesn't seem completely dumb!)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

TehKeen posted:

(I'm not 100% sure we're in a good spot for this but it doesn't seem completely dumb!)

I think it is the best position we have available at this time. If we could get to OP Flygon or Graveller that would be better, but I'm expecting heavy kraut presence there. We'll be weeding them out, not seizing them first.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Current orders.

TehKeen, Kaislioc, and Jaguars have been added.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

The Merry Marauder posted:

Orders for 3 Co. HQ, IS-2, дядя ("Uncle")

We will proceed Unbuttoned.

Please deploy thus, and move to OP Abra by these lines (color-coded for speed).

Below is a close-up (thanks, Comrade Asehujiko!) of the final facing and positioning I desire (note that the final approach is to be on MOVE):

Hi, Grey Hunter! Here is a slight revision! The approach is the same, so:

But I want to motor boldly up onto the hill, not be secure and mousy next to it! So:

Arrow indicates facing.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
So, by request, a note to all T-70 commanders! That would be uPen, simplefish, and duckfoot.

But not really uPen, since I asked him to do what he is doing and I would look foolish if I instructed him otherwise!

Your role is primarily one of scouting. We must seize positions of (somewhat distant) advantage with alacrity, but not wade into the objective and get stuck into combat. That is what the poor bloody infantry is for! Bear in mind that you are easy meat close in and alone. You should get eyes on the objective and the enemy's approach thereto, but it is not your job to hold it or contest it yourselves, but to help our main force do so with a maximum amount of knowledge, and as a secondary role, harass and disrupt the enemy from a distance.

When the time comes to advance and seize the objective, we will do it in a combined, coordinated fashion!

I'm afraid I must echo dtkozl's concern about that level of specificity, simplefish - I fear it is a sure route to disappointment, given the way this game is being conducted.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Your concerns are noted, but for the opening turn, and having played GH CM before, I'm going to have to go with the devil being in the detail and what with the long turn time, sticking to my guns as it were. When we get down to 1 minute turns it'll get a lot more straightforward.

As for the scouting role, I'm sticking close to my T70 buddy (as ordered*) - the only difference being that there are some nice covering trees that I'd like to take advantage of while looking down the railway line, and that takes me into the objective.

I am not about to get close to a building; I know that my armour is made of paper so I am not about to go anywhere near open ground if I can help it. If needs be I will happily retreat out of that yellow shading and reposition - I am not trying to be a hero here (I would like to play this game for as long as possible - hence the caution in the orders)

Putting a tube and eyes looking down the track ASAP seems valuable. I'd hope simplefish would work with you.

(I'm currently following his lead with regard to my final position)

simplefish fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 5, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

These orders now outdated. New orders at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647490&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post431854508

:siren: ORDERS ADJUSTMENT :siren:

simplefish posted:

3rd Tank Company, 2nd Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--Simplefish)

THE WRITTEN ORDERS TAKE PRIORITY - MAP ORDERS ARE AS AN AID ONLY

POINT 1
UNBUTTON
Allow anyone who wants to DEPLOY MOUNTED
SET TARGET ARC from 180 degrees to 270 degrees DISTANCE as far as is possible
FAST from start to first turn at POINT 2

POINT 2
TURN as on the map
FAST to POINT 3, using cover as well as possible (I don't think this is too gamey since my tank commander will be able to see a lot that I can't)

POINT 3 (PINK BOX)
This is decision time. (again, not too gamey I think since it would be suicide to drive into artillery)
- IF arty is falling on the ford, TURN TANK and FAST to POINT XX (keep that turret pointing towards the Hun)
- IF arty is NOT falling on the ford, MOVE along the most stable-looking path through the pink box, at MOVE speed

------POINT XX --> Face everything WEST and await further orders.

POINT 4 (BLUE LINE UP TO SOUTH BANK OF FORD)
MOVE to the ford
- IF artillery starts to fall, BUTTON UP but DO NOT TURN BACK

POINT 5 (FROM THE FORD TO THE TRACKS)
A few metres before the water, FAST across the water, and keep going in ONE CONTINUOUS STRAIGHT LINE until JUST BEFORE (i.e. south of) the railway tracks

POINT 6 (AT THE TRACKS)

UNBUTTON if buttoned
MOVE into objective, as shown on the map, FACING mostly WEST and staying SOUTH OF (below) THE TRACKS
STOP when covered by trees (shown on map)
Allow anyone who wants to DISMOUNT

END ORDERS

ORDERS ADJUSTMENT

3rd Tank Company, 2nd Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--Simplefish)

THE WRITTEN ORDERS TAKE PRIORITY - MAP ORDERS ARE AS AN AID ONLY

POINT 1
UNBUTTON
Allow anyone who wants to DEPLOY MOUNTED
SET TARGET ARC from 180 degrees to 270 degrees DISTANCE as far as is possible
FAST from start to first turn at POINT 2

POINT 2
TURN as on the map
FAST to POINT 3, using cover as well as possible (I don't think this is too gamey since my tank commander will be able to see a lot that I can't)

POINT 3 (PINK BOX)
This is decision time. (again, not too gamey I think since it would be suicide to drive into artillery)
- IF arty is falling on the ford, TURN TANK and FAST to POINT XX (keep that turret pointing towards the Hun)
- IF arty is NOT falling on the ford, MOVE along the most stable-looking path through the pink box, at MOVE speed

------POINT XX --> Face everything WEST and await further orders.

POINT 4 (BLUE LINE UP TO SOUTH BANK OF FORD)
MOVE to the ford
- IF artillery starts to fall, BUTTON UP but DO NOT TURN BACK
4b
A few metres before the water, QUICK across the water

POINT 5 (FROM THE FORD TO THE TRACKS)
FAST from the opposite bank in ONE CONTINUOUS STRAIGHT LINE until JUST BEFORE (i.e. south of) the railway tracks

POINT 6 (AT THE TRACKS)

UNBUTTON if buttoned
CANCEL the TARGET ARC
MOVE into objective, as shown on the map, FACING mostly WEST and staying SOUTH OF (below) THE TRACKS
STOP when covered by trees (shown on map)
Allow anyone who wants to DISMOUNT

END ORDERS

simplefish fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 7, 2014

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009
My plan was to hunt along the northern edge of OP graveler, giving me a view of the northwest approach and a direct approach from Ford fuchsia, like so.

Once I've got contact, I'll pull back. Is this a bad idea? I'm new so guidance or micromanaging is welcome...

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I appreciate the mindset, but I feel like you will be swatted by something, and any intelligence we glean will be brief. If it is a grave risk you are willing to take, however, I will not forbid it or anything of that nature.

If you were to do the same thing once we had some infantry scouts up to help with spotting, it would be a deal safer and less explosive, I think.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Well we already have a T70 going up to the tracks; I was asked to work with him. He's sitting north of the tracks. I'm sitting south. He's carrying infantry. I've offered to carry infantry.

If dtkozl is to be believed, I will neither see nor be seen by enemy on the way up there (the argument for not having the target arc en route)

There is no way the Germans can get to the railway before us.

I fail to see the risk. What am I missing?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

You realize I'm talking to duckfoot there?

Because I'm pretty sure ze Germans can get something smashy into LoS of GRAVELER in five minutes.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ah, right. No, I thought that was about me. Carry on!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
e: nvm.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Because I'm pretty sure ze Germans can get something smashy into LoS of GRAVELER in five minutes.

This is the issue that is stopping me from ordering 2nd Company to storm the station without proper organisation. We should exercise extreme caution when engaging an unknown foe.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

simplefish posted:

Ah, right. No, I thought that was about me. Carry on!

Yeah we should be perfectly safe for the first 5 minutes which is why I'm not nervous about being on the more exposed north side of the rail. The German route to the trail is a lot longer unless they use a very exposed crossing.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Alright Grey Hunter, that'll do. Please quote the offending request in the German thread and reply with this gif as a message from us, thanks.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Hey, Gamer, that reminds me:

Gamerofthegame posted:

I will huddle/hunt against the building in J10 keypad six, OP Eevee, on the north side staring down to the west.

You mean J6 here, I assume. J10 would be a bad place to be. Also, I wouldn't use keypad notation without explaining it, lest you mislead Grey or the rest of your comrades.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Whoops, yes. And squares are a bit big otherwise.

Grey, changing my orders to J6. Mistake was probably a little obvious, but.

Gamerofthegame posted:

The two units going to Abra ought to hop on the IS-2s. You're going to the same place and otherwise Flamethrowers hustle like rear end and they don't have commanding binocs. No reason to not.

T-34 HQ

Alright gang, follow my lead.

Deploy on the edge of the clearing, close to the north with as narrow of a turn angle to head straight to the fords.

Unbutton.

With a load of 2nd Platoons SMG troops, move with all QUICK speed to OP Diglet, taking any required slow caution to cross Ford Cerulean. Once at OP Diglet, hold there for the mans to hop off. If that's a option, the gun should be facing to the west for the duration of the journey.

If there is still time in that five minute window, we'll move. T-34 gang, we're to screen the advancing blob up so they don't get caught by any rushing tanks or anything of the sort, so we'll spread out some. I'll take the middle area, one of you watch the tracks and north (Probably huddling up on the tracks, really.) and the other duck to the south. Keep your head down by a building or something.

I will huddle/hunt against the building in J10 J6 keypad six, OP Eevee, on the north side staring down to the west.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

3rd Tank Company, 1st T-34-85 (Medium Tank) - Zhar-ptitsa

Deploy at Q-14 with the other T-34-85s. One of RedLobster's SMG (2nd Company, 2nd Platoon) squads will start catching a ride as listed in his orders.

Unbutton immediately. Rebutton upon enemy fire.

Wait about 15 seconds before moving to try and avoid clumping. (Adjust as needed based on other orders)

Quick to OP Diglett, using Ford Cerulean. Reduce speed as necessary at the Ford for the safety of the tank and it's passengers.
-If possible, point the gun West before crossing the ford, and Southwest after crossing.

Upon arrival at OP Diglett, unload passengers and face Southwest. (The other T-34-85's will be there too, position as needed to avoid clumping.)

If there is time, huddle/Hunt on the north side against the building closest to OP Lapras (J-6) facing west.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
You guys in the t-70s you can spot the same whether you are 5 meters from the target or 500 meters from the target so long as you have a clear line of sight, just keep that in mind.

If you look at the photos duckfoot you are not going to see much, those trees are on a hill and if you follow the light green ring around those trees (OP Haunter) you can see from the overhead map you are just staring at a slope leading up to the edge of a forest and not much else. Probably isn't reason for you to change your orders at the moment as won't get there in 5 minutes anyway.

Also you need to have a stop order at Diglett to allow your passengers get off.

Everyone our main effort is going towards supporting the SMG company take the rail yard, so always keep the question "will this directly help a SMG platoon?" forefront on your mind.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 5, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

I have been asked to relay this message from the German commander.

NWS Memorize *this* penetration table, bratan.NWS NWS

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 5, 2014

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Current orders.

Krysmphoenix has been added, Merry Marauder simplefish and gamerofthegame have been updated.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Just going to outline the greater strategy for seizing the rail station:

The troops who are dropped off by the tanks will prepare for a direct assault from the south-east of the station. The foot group will circle around via OP Charmander to OP Haunter. This will be the basis of the next round of orders. I don't want to move in until the support is in position, such as the HMGs or the AT gun. I dont want to suddenly lose every man I have thanks to an unprepared assault, as I do so often on my own.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
HerpicleOmnicron5 - Red Army Humanitarian of the Year, 1944

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

HerpicleOmnicron5 - Red Army Humanitarian of the Year, 1944

Hey, I just want as many soldiers as possible to be able to send unique pictures of their junk to Berlin. That is what we're doing with the station, right?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Just going to outline the greater strategy for seizing the rail station:

The troops who are dropped off by the tanks will prepare for a direct assault from the south-east of the station. The foot group will circle around via OP Charmander to OP Haunter. This will be the basis of the next round of orders. I don't want to move in until the support is in position, such as the HMGs or the AT gun. I dont want to suddenly lose every man I have thanks to an unprepared assault, as I do so often on my own.

Herp no, the force at diglett will wait for the rest to arrive and the other two platoons will come through the objective. A rifle platoon will be at Charmander to give you support.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

dtkozl posted:

Herp no, the force at diglett will wait for the rest to arrive and the other two platoons will come through the objective. A rifle platoon will be at Charmander to give you support.

Hey tatankatonk, as of now none of 1st Company's Rifle Platoons have actually been ordered to cross the river. Should we make provisions to cross after ~3-4 minutes or so in the first turn?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
No, 1st Company is staying at the river bank for this set of orders.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

tatankatonk posted:

No, 1st Company is staying at the river bank for this set of orders.

Alright, sounds good.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

...It's beautiful.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
:siren:24 hours on the order limit:siren:

After that I will begin the long task of setting everything up. PLease make sure your orders are clear and easy to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Orders for 2-6, 76mm Gun "Phallic symbol of the Proletariat" and 2-7, Studebaker 6x4 Truck 'Move, you bastard'

Deploy in Square Q-14, Gun being towed by truck, and HMG 2-4 (Tehkeen's unit) aboard.

Immediately Move fast towards the ford, as per the map below. move quick across the ford, then move fast to N-3.

Deploy Gun near the edge of the foliage, viewing towards the forest at H-3.

Drop off HMG, which will then move according to Tehkeen's orders

Move truck behind buildings to the south, facing south.

Map:

• Locked thread