Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

The city I live in calls it's self the Railway capital of Canada. For it's size it did have a lot of railways a long time ago. I think there was something like five. These days we have one train that runs through town daily. I don't know much about it but major the line here was the CASO. CN bought it and has been tearing tracks up here and throughout the line.

In positive railroad news, they city has recently put a new station in and will have a tourist railroad to the village 20KM from here on Lake Erie.

I found this guy on youtube he has been filming trains around here since the early 70s. He made a short video showing the changes that have happened to the rail here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAWcWCh3Too

I also have a book on the history of this city. It's 30 years old now but it has some nice railway stuff. I might scan it in and share it here.

I did one scan using an app and my tablet.

The book posted:

The Fontaine Engine. 1880. The rather well-known, but short-lived locomotive was designed by Eugene Fontaine of Detroit in 1880. There were only 3 built; one was used in St.Thomas for service on the Canadian Division of the CSR. The Fontaine had a so-called friction drive, consisting of a large pair of driving wheels mounted over the boiler with conventional cylinders set at an angle for greater motivation. The pair of drivers rested upon a smaller rim attached to a bearing wheel, or driver, which in turn ran on the rail. The idea was that the friction gearing would produce higher speeds. Technicians scoffed at the idea and engine crews intensely disliked the rather awkward looking machine. It was a fact, however, that the Fontaine was extremely fast and efficient on passenger trains. However, it was too light for freight purposes. It soon disappeared; the St.Thomas engine left the service of the Canadian Division in February, 1882.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.wtae.com/news/fiery-trai...tv%2Bpittsburgh

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I want to get some railway ties to help border my gravel driveway. Is there a way to source them straight from the railway for cheap or do I have to go through a hardware store?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Hardware store. The ones they pull are pretty much toast. Though any of our local MOW guys might be able to answer better.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Most of the railroads will contract out their used tie disposal, it would be better to find out who they use and contact them. The contractor could even sort them by grade, from ones that could be used in retaining walls to ones destined for the wood chipper. A&K Materials comes to mind. Please don't use these to line your garden, unless you like creoso-tomatos.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Crossquoting from aero thread. Some planes fell off the back of a train.

MrChips posted:

Found another picture of the mass-abortion of 737s (click for large):

5039 (5030?) in the foreground looks like it'll end up as beer cans, what with that big tear. The one in the middle just *might* be OK.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I suspect they will all end up as scrap - recertifying one of those to make sure there are no hidden weaknesses sounds like a massive undertaking.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Computer viking posted:

I suspect they will all end up as scrap - recertifying one of those to make sure there are no hidden weaknesses sounds like a massive undertaking.

I'd bet your right. I can't imagine their liability insurance carrier would allow that, or the shipping insurance carrier would pay for it. It just sounds WAY too risky.

In the end, it will probably be an insurance company death match.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Anything transported on a train is pretty much a write-off if it falls-off.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You would be surprised what ends up getting repaired on a plane. Land so hard you rip the wings off? Well then put new wings on it, dummy!! Gosh!!

Also one of the top comments on Imgur for that picture was 'As you see here, the newly born Boeing 737's emerge from their birthplace and start their new life out in the world.'

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Cygni posted:

You would be surprised what ends up getting repaired on a plane. Land so hard you rip the wings off? Well then put new wings on it, dummy!! Gosh!!

Also one of the top comments on Imgur for that picture was 'As you see here, the newly born Boeing 737's emerge from their birthplace and start their new life out in the world.'

On the other hand, sometimes you'd be surprised what *doesn't* get repaired. Hard landing in a four-month-old plane? Write it off, strip it for parts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cygni posted:

Things are a bit different before delivery to the customer even takes place.

Who would buy that? At what kind of discount would it have to be sold? Does it even make sense considering the cost of the rest of the non-fallen-off-a-train-parts that have to be hung on it before sale?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, i assume if Boeing can get an insurance write off worth it to them, they will. But i was just sayin!

It's a lot like locos in that respect. Some of the things they bother repairing are insane.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Motronic posted:

Does it even make sense considering the cost of the rest of the non-fallen-off-a-train-parts that have to be hung on it before sale?

Probably not. The entire finished plane might be worth upwards of eighty million dollars, but the bare fuselage is just aluminium alloy sheet and aluminium alloy latticework. Probably worth less than a couple million in material and labour. I'm not sure exactly what stage of assembly these would be - they might also have many miles of wiring in already, for example - but the really expensive bits are the engines and the avionics. A single flight deck display unit on the 737 is not much under two hundred thousand, and there's... six, I think?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
They could sell the fuselages for amazing luxury condos. On a serious note: do you think that the train cars will be salvaged?

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.
Saw something interesting on a parked CSX train last week. On the edge of the railyard, grouped with several other parked trains was a single loco coupled to some hopper cars. On each hopper, there were 4 solar panels. 2 were on top, parallel to the tracks, facing the sky at a 45 degree angle, and 2 on each side of the car, at each end, facing outward. Every hopper seemed to be identical(all had CSX markings, same color and size), and every visible car had a set of panels. I couldn't see the entire length of the train, but it was fairly long, definitely not just several cars. Any idea what the solar panels are for? Perhaps with enough panels, they can provide enough power to reduce fuel consumption by a few percent? That doesn't seem likely, the panels weren't very large. Wish I'd gotten a picture.

heyou fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 6, 2014

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Here is an article on that derailment since none had been linked yet:
http://www.kansas.com/2014/07/04/3539728/derailment-dumps-boeing-fuselages.html

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

heyou posted:

Saw something interesting on a parked CSX train last week.

Those are automatic ballast unloaders, they get pulled down the track at about 5mph and will unload ballast at specific points along the track based on GPS coordinates scouted out beforehand. Good for when you have a mile or so where you're trying to refresh the ballast.

e: Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SKJcRk8zw&t=38s

NoWake fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 7, 2014

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

NoWake posted:

Those are automatic ballast unloaders, they get pulled down the track at about 5mph and will unload ballast at specific points along the track based on GPS coordinates scouted out beforehand. Good for when you have a mile or so where you're trying to refresh the ballast.

That's cool as hell.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

ijustam posted:

I want to get some railway ties to help border my gravel driveway. Is there a way to source them straight from the railway for cheap or do I have to go through a hardware store?
I was at Menards today and I saw what must have been a truck load of used railway ties. First time I ever saw them at a store.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Just got scuttlebutt about a derailment on the UP Pocatello Idaho to Wyoming/Utah short line. Supposedly big and ugly with hazmat or fire response. Anyone confirm/deny?

EDIT: Oh yeah, on the one year anniversary of the Lac Megantic accident that claimed 47 victims.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 6, 2014

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

NoWake posted:

e: Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SKJcRk8zw&t=38s

That's exactly what I saw. Neat!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

B4Ctom1 posted:

Just got scuttlebutt about a derailment on the UP Pocatello Idaho to Wyoming/Utah short line. Supposedly big and ugly with hazmat or fire response. Anyone confirm/deny?

EDIT: Oh yeah, on the one year anniversary of the Lac Megantic accident that claimed 47 victims.

Quoting myself because people I know are still talking about how well the news blackout of it worked.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any word as to what happened? I just did a quick google search and there's nothing at all about it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh russia... what a lovely tram you have planned.

quote:

Tomorrow Yekaterinburg UralVagonZavod unveil its new tram RUSSIA ONE. Today I was allowed into the exhibition hall and one of the first to show the new Russian tram. Tram really ours - design, development and production - all done with us. Foreign only some components - accordion and door mechanisms. Tram looks very cool. If the production model will not vary significantly from the car, it will be the first domestic tram, for who is not ashamed. Cities that stupidity by their mayors have time to destroy the tram system will now bite your elbows.
:kimchi:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fzyalt.livejournal.com%2F1112328.html

Probably not designed the best for car collisions but hey.

It'd look nice in silver.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 9, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Literally designed to crush pedestrians and get derailed by vehicle collisions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

evil_bunnY posted:

Literally designed to crush pedestrians and get derailed by vehicle collisions.

That thing's going to eat the first car it hits with that upward-angled front. Most of the newer Melbourne trams have the same basic interior, but instead of those long parallel seats they just have a long hip-height cushion to stand and lean your rear end against. It's also missing some ceiling railings in the standing-only spots, so that's going to make a sudden stop during a peak-hour trip fun.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I see they are going for the super-villain headquarters look this year; I dig it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

They claim the new snout design reduces the blind zone just in front of the tram by a few degrees, to increase pedestrian safety. I ... guess that could be true, but I doubt it would make up for the interesting collision characteristics.

Love the Bond villain look, though.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

Na na na na na na na na BAT TRAM!!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
That actually looks pretty cool. gently caress the elbow-biters.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Axeman Jim, you might find this relevant to your avatar:

This wasn't too far from where I live either. I was not old enough to remember these trains, but I was looking for a map and found this and immediately remembered you.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

http://consumerist.com/2014/07/11/police-please-stop-pooping-on-roofs-of-passing-trains/

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

If you're going to poop on a train in Massachusetts why would you chose the P&W? You can't even tell with their paint scheme. Poop on Pan Am, at least they deserve it.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

NinetySevenA posted:

The city I live in calls it's self the Railway capital of Canada. For it's size it did have a lot of railways a long time ago. I think there was something like five. These days we have one train that runs through town daily. I don't know much about it but major the line here was the CASO. CN bought it and has been tearing tracks up here and throughout the line.

In positive railroad news, they city has recently put a new station in and will have a tourist railroad to the village 20KM from here on Lake Erie.

I would be very interested in those scans, as I'm actually considering modelling the St. Thomas area for my HO scale layout. I used to live close to there, and the museum in town (and the tourist railway in Port Stanley) were a good time when I was a kid.

There were 5 major railroads (and their subsidiaries) in the city, with the New York Central being the largest, in the middle of the city. The Canadian National was in the north end of the city (with the Wabash having trackage rights on that line), with the Chesepeake & Ohio on the south end of the city (having trackage rights on the NYC from St. Thomas to Buffalo/Niagara Falls). The London & Port Stanley interurban line cut across all of those lines, running north-south to the lake.

If you want more information on the area, here's two AMAZING resources on the area:
http://elginhistoricalsociety.ca/ehs/rail - put together by the gentleman who produces the Youtube video
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/home.htm - history/photos of the entire NYC line through Southern Ontario

There are a few groups on Facebook about the area as well, with some fascinating pictures.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Here is a neat bit of history about the UP 4005 Big Boy locomotive that was destroyed and then fixed
http://www.forneymuseum.org/News_BigBoyWreck.html

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
There is an engineer at my terminal still bitching about the Conrail split up. Over 15 years since split day and he's still upset.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

There is an engineer at my terminal still bitching about the Conrail split up. Over 15 years since split day and he's still upset.

I hear the same poo poo about the UP taking over the CNW. I used to argue now I ignore.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

Axeman Jim, you might find this relevant to your avatar:

This wasn't too far from where I live either. I was not old enough to remember these trains, but I was looking for a map and found this and immediately remembered you.

Is that a 152? There's definitely one still running; used to do Barrow in Furness to Buxton a few years ago. I see it sometimes on the Blackpool line these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9axle
Sep 6, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

The culture shock for some was pretty bad. CSX rules by fear, and demands blind obedience to the rule book, no matter what the outcome. This wasn't the case at Conrail, so pining for that place you used to work, and maybe spent 20 years at that treated you with a bit more respect and trust seems normal to me. Flying in an airplane years ago was a much better experience than it now, and just because it has been horrible for years doesn't mean I still don't wish the days of good food, liberal drinks and big seats to come back. Same thing for the Conrail guys.