Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I watched Three Colors for the first time and I think White might be my favourite. Did I mess up?

Also Red is definitely the only one I didn't really connect with, so maybe I'm broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CloseFriend posted:

Now I'm tempted to watch it, even though roast humor irritates the poo poo out of me.

The roast of Chevy Chase was great in just how awkward and vicious it was, though. This was when Comedy Central was still affiliated with the Friars' Club (actually, I think this was the last one), and Chase was visibly pissed-off and pretty clear that he didn't get the "point" of roast humor throughout the entire thing. (I think the story was that he was cranky because no one from SNL besides Laraine Newman showed up.) But it was just a solid 90 minutes of everyone under the sun taking genuinely mean-spirited shots at the guy -- I remember Richard Belzer ending his bit by saying something like "The only time Chevy has a funny bone in his body is when I gently caress him in the rear end." :stare:

I mean, Chase is a notorious rear end in a top hat and has been for decades, but holy poo poo, they just completely teed off on him that night.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CloseFriend posted:

If I had to grade an essay like this I think I'd bust out my watercolors and paint a giant :stare: at the bottom.

I had someone hand in an essay last quarter about Florida's whole require-welfare-recipients-to-take-drug-tests thing. The paper was absolutely devoid of rhetoric and assumed I'd agree with her, and went on talking about how the only obstacle to getting this "obviously" beneficial measure enacted was red tape.

For an assignment on interpreting archaeological data, basically really super entry level stats and logic, I got an essay that opened with a half page quote from The Matrix (the part about how humans are viruses), proceeded into a one page speculation about conflict between hunter gatherers living on a mountain and farmers living in a valley (apparently because we had included a contour map of the site), and ended with a two page, apparently unrelated essay on how in the future humans will have computers in their brains that will allow them to think more quickly.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

chaos rhames posted:

Have you tried Poaching? That's a top tier egging technique.

Again, yes. I've tried eggs literally every way, I'm a cook. I still don't like them.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

GonSmithe posted:

Again, yes. I've tried eggs literally every way, I'm a cook. I still don't like them.

Have you tried them in a pie?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

GonSmithe posted:

Have you tried green ones with ham?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Have you tried them in shorts?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Have you tried absorbing raw ones rectally?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Have you tried them pickled, or 50 at a time?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
When you were a lad, did you eat 4 dozen eggs every morning to help you get large?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Have you tried eating them?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Honest Thief posted:

Have you tried eating them?

GonSmithe eat the eggs

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Have you tried not being Smash Mouth?

Also, I'm vaguely interested in getting in shape for the first time in my god drat life. I'm virtually unemployed so I have a lot of time on my hands and I've always meant to. Running, pushups, lifting some weights every day, that sort of thing. Has anybody felt the benefits of using protein powder or have any recommendations? I ask here because I'm not trying to get super swole or anything, so typically-average-bodied film fans seem the best folks to consult.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Fargo the TV show owns really hard and everyone should watch it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hbomberguy posted:

Also, I'm vaguely interested in getting in shape for the first time in my god drat life. I'm virtually unemployed so I have a lot of time on my hands and I've always meant to. Running, pushups, lifting some weights every day, that sort of thing. Has anybody felt the benefits of using protein powder or have any recommendations? I ask here because I'm not trying to get super swole or anything, so typically-average-bodied film fans seem the best folks to consult.

Beefcake! BEEFCAKE!!

Hey, TwistedLadder, in a strange coincidence A Hard Day's Night is playing right now on BBC!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

GonSmithe eat the eggs

There are literally two tabs open on my computer right now where a bunch of idiots are trying to convince another dude to eat something because they happened to mention they don't like that thing.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Hbomberguy posted:

I've had pretty good results with this post and setting up an account at MyFitnessPal.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Hbomberguy posted:

Protein repairs muscles, and the amount you need obviously depends on what exercise you do. Just eat all the chicken and all the cottage cheese and you'll generally get enough, and get actual nice food too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vargo posted:

There are literally two tabs open on my computer right now where a bunch of idiots are trying to convince another dude to eat something because they happened to mention they don't like that thing.

Look, we shouldn't need to tell you of all people about the rules here, you goddamn degenerate.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

I've had pretty good results with this post and setting up an account at MyFitnessPal.

Noxville posted:

Protein repairs muscles, and the amount you need obviously depends on what exercise you do. Just eat all the chicken and all the cottage cheese and you'll generally get enough, and get actual nice food too.

I'll give these a shot. Thanks folks!

On another note: Where should I go to get more freelance editing work? I've tried a couple of sites but there's a vicious cycle of experience going on in a lot of them. Is there somewhere else I should look, or should I do the really stupid thing I was planning to do later and go nuts and start a new company made of other people in the same position as me? Yes, I am literally asking CineD's general chat for advice on major life decisions because I think that's a funny thing to do.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 6, 2014

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
What movie should I watch in a bit When my dinner is ready?

Got a choice of four...

Stranger by the Lake
Down Terrance
Munich
A Hijacking

Help me with this important decision...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Down Terrace all the way.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bows1 posted:

Fargo the TV show owns really hard and everyone should watch it.
I just finished it. This show is so good that I actively look forward to the title sequence. Allison Tolman better win an Emmy and then star in all the movies. I love Breaking Bad so much, but it's really refreshing to watch show about an unrelentingly good person.

It also gives you a good excuse to rewatch the movie which you should watch before diving into the show.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Got a choice of four...

Stranger by the Lake
Down Terrance
Munich
A Hijacking

Blacula.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Nobody ever watch Blacula until CPL has posted a shorts pic :colbert:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Got a choice of four...

Stranger by the Lake
Down Terrance
Munich
A Hijacking

Down Terrace.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Thanks for the quote in the Tammy review, JayDub, haha. Sorry it had to be you.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Nobody ever watch Blacula until CPL has posted a shorts pic :colbert:

You're only hurting yourselves.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

therattle posted:

Beefcake! BEEFCAKE!!

Hey, TwistedLadder, in a strange coincidence A Hard Day's Night is playing right now on BBC!
To coincide with this weekend's theatrical re-release/its addition to Criterion, I bet. It's sooooo gooooood.

Also, Hbomberguy, re: protein powder, it's great if you're looking to build muscle and you're going to be doing some lifting, but if you just want to get fit, lots of cardio and lean meats and vegetables are the way to go.
Source: the dude I almost married talked about this stuff almost daily the entire time we were together. Sometimes he'd sing a little song about salmonella while he ate two raw eggs for breakfast as a quick source of protein after his morning run.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

CPL593H posted:

You're only hurting yourselves.

Did you spend all of the 4th owning a pair of patriotic shorts that you weren't even wearing?

It's downright un-American. :911:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ror posted:

Did you spend all of the 4th owning a pair of patriotic shorts that you weren't even wearing?

That's a very good question. As time goes by so my resentment towards non-shorts-wearing CPL grows.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ror posted:

I actually was going to wear them somewhere and take pictures that day, then it rained heavily for 12 hours and I didn't bother leaving the house. It's probably a sign.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

I actually was going to wear them somewhere and take pictures that day, then it rained heavily for 12 hours and I didn't bother leaving the house. It's probably a sign.
Wear them indoors and take a picture.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

GonSmithe posted:

Thanks for the quote in the Tammy review, JayDub, haha. Sorry it had to be you.

Just one thing I gotta know, what's the actual town name of "Bumblefuck, Missouri" because that's the kind of thing that actually interests me.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

TwistedLadder posted:

Also, Hbomberguy, re: protein powder, it's great if you're looking to build muscle and you're going to be doing some lifting, but if you just want to get fit, lots of cardio and lean meats and vegetables are the way to go.
Source: the dude I almost married talked about this stuff almost daily the entire time we were together. Sometimes he'd sing a little song about salmonella while he ate two raw eggs for breakfast as a quick source of protein after his morning run.

Thanks a bunch! I'm not going to the gym or anything but I live with someone who owns some basic weights, 3kg to 10 or something like that, and I plan on doing some. I'll buy something protein related and be cautious.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In the first Punisher miniseries he drives an exterminator van with VERMINSLAYER on the side. It's like an 80s movie but comics.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

In the first Punisher miniseries he drives an exterminator van with VERMINSLAYER on the side. It's like an 80s movie but comics.

Are we talking about Circle of Blood by Steven Grant and Mike Zeck? Because that comic rules.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Are we talking about Circle of Blood by Steven Grant and Mike Zeck? Because that comic rules.

That would be the one! I was inspired by a Chris Sims article talking about how 80s Punisher was just low budget DTV movies but in comics form and so far I'm not disappointed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mike Zeck is a tremendous visual storyteller. That's far from the bloodiest Punisher comic, but the violence feels really visceral and kinetic. As I recall he uses panel borders for impact really well.

I have the hardcover of that, I should reread it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Mike Zeck is a tremendous visual storyteller. That's far from the bloodiest Punisher comic, but the violence feels really visceral and kinetic. As I recall he uses panel borders for impact really well.

I have the hardcover of that, I should reread it.

I'm looking forward to the 90s just so I can read about Punisher on a jet ski.

• Locked thread