Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

Thanks fellas. I need to find a link for this. Also, which WCW PPV was it where they referred to Hogan as Terry Bollea? I think in the vignette before the PPV Schaivone says something like "TERRY BOLLEA IS ON A RAMPAGE" while Hogan was running the ropes or something

it would have to be one of the first shows after Russo and Bischoff came back to reset the WCW title scene so I think Spring Stampede 2000? I dont even think he has a match on that card he just shows up and lays people out. Hulk Hogan was furious that Bischoff didn't invite him to be part of his new heel stable so he gets furious and I guess this means he's a face? He goes by his real name for a couple weeks and rampages around the back flipping over couches and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
What's the story with Sin Cara? I just watched the Botchamania video on him and there are just so many questions I don't know where to begin.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

DangerKat posted:

What's the story with Sin Cara? I just watched the Botchamania video on him and there are just so many questions I don't know where to begin.

Original Cara didn't go through developmental, so they canned him and put the mask on someone who isn't really a lucha or a flier.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DangerKat posted:

the biggest issue was that mistico never got used to an american style ring and wwe style wrestling (skipping development helped im sure) combined with the bad lighting gimmick + hard to see out of mask created a botch machine instead of the advertised highlight reel. numerous other missteps and problems include really lovely angles (sin cara azul/sin cara negro), bad opponents (chavo using the old, "well he is mexican too" logic), turning his submissions finisher into a really bad impact finisher that never looked right, and lovely past and current backstage attitude (see any del rio/cara match).

now it's hunico under the mask and he isn't really a natural fit as he has more of a rudo technician style than high flying masked babyface but it's better i guess?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I knew he was in trouble when he first got signed, and I asked here for everyone to post some good Mistico matches, and everyone just linked to highlight reels of his coolest moves.

That sums it up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

I knew he was in trouble when he first got signed, and I asked here for everyone to post some good Mistico matches, and everyone just linked to highlight reels of his coolest moves.

That sums it up.

I think that just says more about the way lucha presents their product, because they clip matches a lot. His singles matches with Averno are usually pretty good (to the point where WWE nearly signed Averno, then changed their mind after he gave up his mask in Mexico thinking he was going North).

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Mistico also rubbed people the wrong way backstage, failed a Wellness test, suffered at least one injury at an inopportune time, and showed no desire to learn English.

Pretty much everything wrong that could happen did besides getting arrested. I personally think PSP overemphasized the botchniness stuff and some of his matches were fun, but it just wasn't going to work out.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 6, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

That sums it up.

nobody around here watches lucha

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

WeaponX posted:

lovely past and current backstage attitude (see any del rio/cara match).

Does anyone have a good summary of why they hate each other?

I do remember watching Sin Cara's return match against Del Rio where he dislocated his thumb(?) and started calling for the ref, and Del Rio just looked so pissed, who then looked like he started stiffing him out of anger.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The Senator Giroux posted:

Does anyone have a good summary of why they hate each other?

I do remember watching Sin Cara's return match against Del Rio where he dislocated his thumb(?) and started calling for the ref, and Del Rio just looked so pissed, who then looked like he started stiffing him out of anger.

I heard that Sin Cara had a member of his crew pull a gun on Del Rio down in Mexico, but I don't know the details.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shima Honnou posted:

I heard that Sin Cara had a member of his crew pull a gun on Del Rio down in Mexico, but I don't know the details.

According to Konnan, Mistico was starting to get a big head and a bad attitude in Mexico. Del Rio had a confrontation with him backstage about his attitude and behavior, and Mistico's response was to have one of his friends draw a gun on him.

Now, this is Konnan, so take it with a grain of salt.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Timby posted:

According to Konnan, Mistico was starting to get a big head and a bad attitude in Mexico. Del Rio had a confrontation with him backstage about his attitude and behavior, and Mistico's response was to have one of his friends draw a gun on him.

Now, this is Konnan, so take it with a grain of salt.

I remember hearing this confirmed by other folks.

Sin Cara calling for trainers/ending the match early also didn't endear himself backstage and with ADR.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

someone asked Meltzer once if they had beef and he said Sin Cara and Del Rio don't hate each other. Del Rio was apparently his only real ally in the locker room and repeatedly urged him to go to developmental and learn English, two things he refused to do.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

forgot about the wellness and injuries. you can only write a guy off tv so many times before you just say oh gently caress it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

For a guy with no grudge, Del Rio sure did find new and fun ways to just beat the crap out of Sin Cara whenever they had a match. And that time he yanked his mask off for giggles.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

For a guy with no grudge, Del Rio sure did find new and fun ways to just beat the crap out of Sin Cara whenever they had a match. And that time he yanked his mask off for giggles.

I remember a spot where he german'd the hell out him, followed by him just soccer kicking Cara right in the back of the head. I seriously though for a splitsecond that he was shooting on him. Then realized how silly that was.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

WeaponX posted:

numerous other missteps and problems include really lovely angles (sin cara azul/sin cara negro),

I actually liked that feud for what it was. They didn't sell the back story enough because WWE, but it was something out of real life: Hunico and Mistico had debuted around the same time in different cities in Mexico, both under the name Mistico, but CMLL bought the rights to the name so Hunico had to change it. The problem was WWE only went so far as to say they were fighting over the name Sin Cara, not Mistico or any other actual history. Hunico, to his credit, actually went through FCW before debuting.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

If you have to check Wikipedia for the reasons behind a feud, it's pretty bad.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Since Hunico can speak English, how come they haven't tried to have him do more promo stuff?

Y'know what, actually never mind. You don't need someone whose role in the company is "loses to Erick Rowan on Main Event" do any sort of promo.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Why is wrestling still so synonymous with lucha and masks in pop culture despite the fact that very few American wrestling fans actually watch Lucha?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

NienNunb posted:

Why is wrestling still so synonymous with lucha and masks in pop culture despite the fact that very few American wrestling fans actually watch Lucha?

Probably the prominence of masked Mexican wrestlers in WCW during the boom period in the late 90's combined with the popularity of Rey Mysterio up until recently.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rey "I'm basically the nicest guy in the world" Mysterio was on Jericho's podcast and just out of nowhere started talking about how Sin Cara was a gently caress-up who ruined his shot at making it in WWE. When Rey Mysterio is talking poo poo about you, you've probably made some pretty poor life decisions.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I just hope Sin Cara hasn't hosed it up for other masked luchadores.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NienNunb posted:

There have been plenty of American masked wrestlers since the Dawn of tights. Usually called something like "The Masked Wrestler".

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who else has bypassed developmental besides Sin Cara?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

NienNunb posted:

El Santo. Even if he's primarily been in Mexico his whole career, dude really exemplified the entire concept, and I've noticed that a shitload of stuff that became part of the American consciousness in the 50s and 60s never went away.

Edit: Has Maffhew stopped doing Botchamania? His most recent one is from May.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 7, 2014

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

rotinaj posted:

Edit: Has Maffhew stopped doing Botchamania? His most recent one is from May.

no

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Could anyone give me a concise history of how young Scott Steiner became old Scott Steiner? I find it difficult to reconcile the two.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

There are these things called "steroids" and when you get injured and do too many of them while you're out, you gain a hundred pounds, start wearing chain mail, dying your facial hair, and calling yourself the Big Bad Booty Daddy. Nobody knows where Scott Steiner the character ends and Scott Steiner the person begins since he was a psycho backstage too. I think he tried to rip DDP's head off a few times.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

There are these things called "steroids" and when you get injured and do too many of them while you're out, you gain a hundred pounds, start wearing chain mail, dying your facial hair, and calling yourself the Big Bad Booty Daddy. Nobody knows where Scott Steiner the character ends and Scott Steiner the person begins since he was a psycho backstage too. I think he tried to rip DDP's head off a few times.

He shouldn't have rushed back after that car accident.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

NienNunb posted:

They are very effective way to tell viewers that this is pro wrestling instead of amateur wrestling/MMA/etc.

And visually interesting.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Someone post the thing with Scott Steiner driving Petey Williams the wrong way down a one way street to Cracker Barrel.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

Someone post the thing with Scott Steiner driving Petey Williams the wrong way down a one way street to Cracker Barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJPX-7Obwo

Why aren't new Botchamanias being uploaded to his site?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think my favorite part about the Sin Cara vs Sin Cara feud was the people insisting that Sin Cara Negro was so named because of racism or something.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Kennel posted:

They are very effective way to tell viewers that this is pro wrestling instead of amateur wrestling/MMA/etc.

And visually interesting.

Yeah, the fact that no other sports have masked athletes makes them stand out and basically hot-glues them to wrestling as far as the mainstream is concerned.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think my favorite part about the Sin Cara vs Sin Cara feud was the people insisting that Sin Cara Negro was so named because of racism or something.

I had forgotten that Gonzo McFee was obviously not watching RAW or listening to the commentary and was so retarded he was convinced there was even the barest hint of a possibility that Vince McMahon was going to call Barack Obama a negro on the air.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441241&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post396360020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CombineThresher posted:

Yeah, the fact that no other sports have masked athletes makes them stand out and basically hot-glues them to wrestling as far as the mainstream is concerned.

PRIDE FC begs to differ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq0-Ia6n15o

It is a bad fight.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

CombineThresher posted:

Look at this guy who's never heard of monster truck star Colt Cobra.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Baron La Croix posted:

Could anyone give me a concise history of how young Scott Steiner became old Scott Steiner? I find it difficult to reconcile the two.

I have long thought that early 90s Scott Steiner giving late 90s Scott Steiner promos would be my favorite wrestler of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Look at this guy who's never heard of monster truck star Colt Cobra.

Monster Trucks aren't a sport, they are Truck Entertainment. Do you watch that stuff? You know it's not real, right?

I think competitive eating also has a masked guy, or maybe somebody with face paint.