Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

dtkozl posted:

Herp no, the force at diglett will wait for the rest to arrive and the other two platoons will come through the objective. A rifle platoon will be at Charmander to give you support.

Are you sure about this? I don't want my troops to all get slaughtered by a single Kraut MG nest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Won't you have a platoon of T34's backing you up?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Comstar posted:

Won't you have a platoon of T34's backing you up?

Won't the krauts have a platoon of [insert german wunderweapon here]? We can not afford to piss away valuable assets, we don't get any reinforcements.

If this were CK2, I'd have the paranoid trait firing off events every few seconds, I don't want my company to be crushed to bits immediately!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Are you sure about this? I don't want my troops to all get slaughtered by a single Kraut MG nest.

Yeah well your way is the quickest way to do that. Just look at the map and pictures. Bulbasar, around the rail line, up to Diglett is all close terrain with forests and hills with tons of ways to block exposure. Charmander to Haunter is one giant flat field over looked by a forest that the Germans can get a halftrack with 2 mgs to faster than we can. If they put anything in there it will end up looking like a WW1 biopic, just men charging over open fields into machinegun fire.

This is why the plan is like it is. You will take the rail station once you get everything formed up, THEN you help that northern most rifle squad take haunter because you can use the rail station as a jumping off point to clear those woods and there is nothing smgs are better at than clearing woods. This doesn't mean you need to attack move in one giant ball, but we can talk about that later. Just get them formed up in the objective zone and start them west towards the rail yard for now.

Also that gun position sucks and you know you can just have both MGs in there, or are you riding it?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

dtkozl posted:

Also that gun position sucks and you know you can just have both MGs in there, or are you riding it?

One of the HMGs is on uPen's T-70. It'll have LoS down the RR cut, and into the RR station if it moves up a bit.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Where the truck stops is the downwards slope of a hill and has to move the edge of those fields, which is around 200 meters away, to see anything. That is a really long way to walk a gun, those things are SLOW. If you do want to stop at the edge of those fields, the only decent spot is OP Charmander because there are some trees in that hedgerow. That is primarily why I marked that spot.

We have two guns and I dunno where Herp is moving his, but if you want to cover the north and the railyard, I'd put one at charmander and one at N-4 where the road goes over the rail line. There is a bit of woods there to offer a tiny bit of concealment, you control los all the way down the line, and it is easy/quick to drive to.

I took pictures of both spots, and did so for that reason, take a look at them.

The guns and HMGs are under your command so ultimately you should try and stay near them and your platoons as much as possible, since they benefit from your command chain. This is impossible I realize, but you should try and make the best compromise possible.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

We'll organise the rest next order phase. I have no clue as to where our units will be, where we can expect the krauts to be and where the flashpoints will be. I'm going to seize the objective, but I will do it cautiously. My company, my rules.

Herp's Renegades do things their way, for them. Dtkozl, my guys WILL get there. Leave the micromanagement to the Company and Platoon level officers.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

:allears: I can't wait to be able to read the spectator thread.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lets just hope they're laughing with us and not at us.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

We'll organise the rest next order phase. I have no clue as to where our units will be, where we can expect the krauts to be and where the flashpoints will be. I'm going to seize the objective, but I will do it cautiously. My company, my rules.

Herp's Renegades do things their way, for them. Dtkozl, my guys WILL get there. Leave the micromanagement to the Company and Platoon level officers.

I understand but with all due respect my job is the overall tactical situation and your plan was unacceptable from that standpoint. You are obviously ignorant of the other companies orders and I am just trying to address that, because I will not have people bunching up out in an exposed position. Furthermore I have the game and I can see when a proposed gun position is completely incapable of supporting the larger group due to line of sight issues. These are hard to suss out right now when all most people have is a top-down map with no indications of scale and few of elevation. Once grey starts the thing and makes videos and people can get a feel of their own for the map I will lay off the throttle but for now all I am trying to do is dispel any fuzziness people might have about our side's eventual deployment and the subtleties of the map.

You will be allowed to die in a manner of your own choosing, but I will pick the ground.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
What's the plan if the Germans don't care about being gamey and they shell our fords? Or will we deal with that later?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
That is why I am trying to get you guys to make sure you don't bunch up and only one platoon crosses at a time, so if it does happen we only lose a little bit. Those tanks won't be bothered by a little shelling and will get over in a flash so it is only the infantry we need to worry about.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

dtkozl posted:

That is why I am trying to get you guys to make sure you don't bunch up and only one platoon crosses at a time, so if it does happen we only lose a little bit. Those tanks won't be bothered by a little shelling and will get over in a flash so it is only the infantry we need to worry about.

Gotcha. 1 Company will start moving at full speed through the ford once this first 5 minutes passes and 2 Co and the armor go through, then.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

tatankatonk posted:

What's the plan if the Germans don't care about being gamey and they shell our fords? Or will we deal with that later?

That wouldn't be gamey, that would be a good idea. They've got to be thinking about barraging the known fords on the map at least as hard as we are, maybe more since they really really don't want us reaching that rail station first and want to slow us down as much as possible.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Willie Tomg posted:

That wouldn't be gamey, that would be a good idea. They've got to be thinking about barraging the known fords on the map at least as hard as we are, maybe more since they really really don't want us reaching that rail station first and want to slow us down as much as possible.

It's gamey because it's a meeting engagement, and having a preplanned bombardment on two random fords is pretty lucky!

I agree it is a good tactical choice.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
If being the good guy were easy, everyone would do it. :/

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
But we are.

We're the Russian side.

:iamafag:

Artillery will happen eventually. Maybe we'll get lucky and get past it. If we don't, we take some loses. Nothing we can do about it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Just going to outline the greater strategy for seizing the rail station:

The troops who are dropped off by the tanks will prepare for a direct assault from the south-east of the station. The foot group will circle around via OP Charmander to OP Haunter. This will be the basis of the next round of orders. I don't want to move in until the support is in position, such as the HMGs or the AT gun. I dont want to suddenly lose every man I have thanks to an unprepared assault, as I do so often on my own.

Like you said you don't know where other units are. Within the first 5 minutes, even ignoring the T-34s, the two T-70s and an MG team will be looking down the tracks into the station. Support will be in position.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
The whole arty thing is always going to be a gamble. I am not not artying their one safe crossing because I am kind at heart, but because we are going to be using the mortars already for smoke and the other mission takes 16 minutes or so to call in and I want that one started as soon as I get to those woods. The thing is for us to effectively arty their ford I would have to use a relatively long mission, something over the course of 10 minutes or so of sporadic fire. So we are talking 26 minutes then to use it again. The cost of your average mission at this level is 100 to 250 points. To put that in perspective a platoon of soldiers is generally around 150 points; our rifle platoons with extras was 211, and the smgs were 159. A mortar call in was 143. So for those points to be "worth it," we would have to kill one platoon with one call in. Obviously there is all types of fuzzy math you can do, but generally I am of the opinion where I'd rather be shooting at something I can see rather than getting cute with something I suspect.

Now this goes into the artillery system of the game a bit deeper, there are two types of missions, pre-planned and normal. Pre-planned mission are those set up during setup and can come in immediately, after 5 minutes, or after 10 minutes. They are 100% on target, however they cannot be adjusted. Our smoke will be pre-planned. The benefit I get with waiting on those 76mm gun call in is the ability to adjust the mission at any time to deal with the changing battle situation. That way at least I know I will be doing some damage. It also does one other thing; I prefer to keep the initiative in a battle and therefore want him to react to my actions rather than the other way around. That is why I hope to have that mission ready to disrupt any build up of forces against our forces assaulting the train yard. Since there is only a few good spots of cover he can use, the target should be relatively easy to guess. We will see how it all shakes out!

Anyway, just wanted to give you guys an idea of my thought process on the matter, nothing more.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

dtkozl posted:

The whole arty thing is always going to be a gamble. I am not not artying their one safe crossing because I am kind at heart, but because we are going to be using the mortars already for smoke and the other mission takes 16 minutes or so to call in and I want that one started as soon as I get to those woods. The thing is for us to effectively arty their ford I would have to use a relatively long mission, something over the course of 10 minutes or so of sporadic fire. So we are talking 26 minutes then to use it again. The cost of your average mission at this level is 100 to 250 points. To put that in perspective a platoon of soldiers is generally around 150 points; our rifle platoons with extras was 211, and the smgs were 159. A mortar call in was 143. So for those points to be "worth it," we would have to kill one platoon with one call in. Obviously there is all types of fuzzy math you can do, but generally I am of the opinion where I'd rather be shooting at something I can see rather than getting cute with something I suspect.

Now this goes into the artillery system of the game a bit deeper, there are two types of missions, pre-planned and normal. Pre-planned mission are those set up during setup and can come in immediately, after 5 minutes, or after 10 minutes. They are 100% on target, however they cannot be adjusted. Our smoke will be pre-planned. The benefit I get with waiting on those 76mm gun call in is the ability to adjust the mission at any time to deal with the changing battle situation. That way at least I know I will be doing some damage. It also does one other thing; I prefer to keep the initiative in a battle and therefore want him to react to my actions rather than the other way around. That is why I hope to have that mission ready to disrupt any build up of forces against our forces assaulting the train yard. Since there is only a few good spots of cover he can use, the target should be relatively easy to guess. We will see how it all shakes out!

Anyway, just wanted to give you guys an idea of my thought process on the matter, nothing more.

That's fine, I'm just worried that they'll pre-plan artillery on our fords and 1 Company will be caught as we cross.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

That's fine, I'm just worried that they'll pre-plan artillery on our fords and 1 Company will be caught as we cross.

If they pre-plan, we should still have a fair amount of warning. I can't remember if pre-planned barrages have spotting rounds, which would be a dead giveaway, but if any shells start falling around the ford we should have ample opportunity to stop any movements into the targeted area. Unless we're really unlucky with the timing and the bombardment starts at the very beginning of a turn, or if Grey Hunter decides that a bombardment isn't cause enough to ask us to revise our orders...

The biggest problem I can see with a bombardment is that it could delay our crossing significantly. Sending 4 tanks and a platoon of infantry over the other ford should allow us to keep them getting free reign over the north side of the map.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

dublish posted:

If they pre-plan, we should still have a fair amount of warning. I can't remember if pre-planned barrages have spotting rounds, which would be a dead giveaway, but if any shells start falling around the ford we should have ample opportunity to stop any movements into the targeted area. Unless we're really unlucky with the timing and the bombardment starts at the very beginning of a turn, or if Grey Hunter decides that a bombardment isn't cause enough to ask us to revise our orders...

The biggest problem I can see with a bombardment is that it could delay our crossing significantly. Sending 4 tanks and a platoon of infantry over the other ford should allow us to keep them getting free reign over the north side of the map.

If no rounds are falling by the time the five minutes are up, i'll have the company Quick across the ford with 30 second delays between the platoons.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

dublish posted:

I can't remember if pre-planned barrages have spotting rounds

They shouldn't.

:siren:GREY HUNTER!:siren:

Since the orders deadline is approaching, here is dublish's compilation of all the orders received with links. Hopefully this makes your life easier.

dublish posted:

Current orders, please correct me if I'm wrong.

dtkozl
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647490&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post431734608

tatankatonk
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647490&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post431757103

Herpicle Omnicron 5
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647490&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post431763900

The Merry Marauder
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647490&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post431788427

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

This means that Tetrakarn never issued orders to the 1st Co sniper team - I assume tatankatonk will now handle this, either himself or delegating.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Just a reminder that there's space on my tank for riders if it fits anyone's orders.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I don't think we want to break off an extra group from their commander, so another squad is right out, I gather.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

This means that Tetrakarn never issued orders to the 1st Co sniper team - I assume tatankatonk will now handle this, either himself or delegating.

I've already included in my orders that that team simply accompany my Company HQ until I give him something to do.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Yeah, but now you have cause to bigfoot him and take the reins.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

simplefish posted:

Just a reminder that there's space on my tank for riders if it fits anyone's orders.

Since all of 1st Co. Is staying south of the river for a few minutes, I can't think of anything you could carry that doesn't already have a ride.

E: Maybe Herp's HQ team? Pretty sure that could fit in the 2nd Co. Studebaker if he wanted though, since uPen is giving one of the HMGs a lift.

dublish fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 7, 2014

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

:frogsiren: 1st platoon, 2nd company is up for grabs.

I'm going on a two week trip and what I thought would be a reliable internet connection has turned out to be an empty dream, so I'll have to bow out.

Good luck you sons of bitches.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Have a few more hours for orders.

guess which moron confused the "save" button with the "next turn" button after loading all the soviet orders in, and now has to redo them all.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

...in that case:

:siren: ORDERS ADJUSTMENT #2 :siren:

simplefish posted:

ORDERS ADJUSTMENT

3rd Tank Company, 2nd Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--Simplefish)

THE WRITTEN ORDERS TAKE PRIORITY - MAP ORDERS ARE AS AN AID ONLY

POINT 1
UNBUTTON
Allow anyone who wants to DEPLOY MOUNTED
SET TARGET ARC from 180 degrees to 270 degrees DISTANCE as far as is possible
FAST from start to first turn at POINT 2

POINT 2
TURN as on the map
FAST to POINT 3, using cover as well as possible (I don't think this is too gamey since my tank commander will be able to see a lot that I can't)

POINT 3 (PINK BOX)
This is decision time. (again, not too gamey I think since it would be suicide to drive into artillery)
- IF arty is falling on the ford, TURN TANK and FAST to POINT XX (keep that turret pointing towards the Hun)
- IF arty is NOT falling on the ford, MOVE along the most stable-looking path through the pink box, at MOVE speed

------POINT XX --> Face everything WEST and await further orders.

POINT 4 (BLUE LINE UP TO SOUTH BANK OF FORD)
MOVE to the ford
- IF artillery starts to fall, BUTTON UP but DO NOT TURN BACK
4b
A few metres before the water, QUICK across the water

POINT 5 (FROM THE FORD TO THE TRACKS)
FAST from the opposite bank in ONE CONTINUOUS STRAIGHT LINE until JUST BEFORE (i.e. south of) the railway tracks

POINT 6 (AT THE TRACKS)

UNBUTTON if buttoned
CANCEL the TARGET ARC
MOVE into objective, as shown on the map, FACING mostly WEST and staying SOUTH OF (below) THE TRACKS
STOP when covered by trees (shown on map)
Allow anyone who wants to DISMOUNT

END ORDERS

ORDERS ADJUSTMENT

3rd Tank Company, 2nd Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--Simplefish)

THE WRITTEN ORDERS TAKE PRIORITY - MAP ORDERS ARE AS AN AID ONLY

POINT 1
UNBUTTON
Allow anyone who wants to DEPLOY MOUNTED
SET TARGET ARC from 180 degrees to 270 degrees DISTANCE as far as is possible
FAST from start to first turn at POINT 2

POINT 2
TURN as on the map
FAST to POINT 3, using cover as well as possible (I don't think this is too gamey since my tank commander will be able to see a lot that I can't)

POINT 3 (PINK BOX)
:siren:change from previous orders:siren:
Continue through the PINK BOX at QUICK

POINT 4 (BLUE LINE UP TO SOUTH BANK OF FORD)
MOVE to the ford
- IF artillery starts to fall, BUTTON UP but DO NOT TURN BACK
4b
A few metres before the water, QUICK across the water

POINT 5 (FROM THE FORD TO THE TRACKS)
FAST from the opposite bank in ONE CONTINUOUS STRAIGHT LINE until JUST BEFORE (i.e. south of) the railway tracks

POINT 6 (AT THE TRACKS)

UNBUTTON if buttoned
CANCEL the TARGET ARC
MOVE into objective, as shown on the map, FACING mostly WEST and staying SOUTH OF (below) THE TRACKS
STOP when covered by trees (shown on map)
Allow anyone who wants to DISMOUNT

END ORDERS

--------------------------------------------

I've removed the "if artillery is falling" thing. I'm led to believe that I'll be tough enough to take it if it is, and since I won't have exposed troops on the hull I might as well go for it.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

quote:

Greyhunter
I want both 82mm mortar teams to fire a smoke mission from L-10 to L-9, basically wall off the area directly in front of Ford Cerulean with smoke. Smoke, Maximum, Immediately.

I will move my Commander from Q-15 to the woods at M-11. I'd like to be protected from the German spawn but be able to see into the town.

Grey I would like to add if you see artillery shells landing at the fords when the infantry is approaching them please move them back to a safe distance until things are over. I dunno if this is kosher but I think it will help some people's fears.

Also please make sure those is 2s are behind those last few trees, I know its hard to see and do with a 2d map but it was what we wanted.

Finally throw my commander on the back of an is2, whichever gets there fastest, then use the Quick command, same destination.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

dtkozl posted:

Grey I would like to add if you see artillery shells landing at the fords when the infantry is approaching them please move them back to a safe distance until things are over. I dunno if this is kosher but I think it will help some people's fears.

Also please make sure those is 2s are behind those last few trees, I know its hard to see and do with a 2d map but it was what we wanted.

Finally throw my commander on the back of an is2, whichever gets there fastest, then use the Quick command, same destination.
That will be The Merry Marauder's but the difference should only be about 5 seconds.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

All Orders are final

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Grey Hunter posted:

All Orders are final

But I haven't ordered my men to listen to my inspiring eve-of-battle speech yet! :ohdear:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

brakeless posted:

:frogsiren: 1st platoon, 2nd company is up for grabs.

I'm going on a two week trip and what I thought would be a reliable internet connection has turned out to be an empty dream, so I'll have to bow out.

Good luck you sons of bitches.

That's a shame. Enjoy your trip!

Do we have any substitutes available for platoon command, or should we promote somebody from support?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Okay, I've set all orders, I cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, as some of the things people wanted go outside CM's scope (deployment of squads in set patterns in the no 1 culprit) - but this is the same for both sides, so you'll just have to lump it.

From now on, please edit your original post of orders when you make a change, as that is the one I will be using.

Thank you, tomorrow morning I shall begin to move you towards your deaths.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
WW2 Today has a coincidental story today

quote:

T-34s attack Panzers cornered in the Russian forest

On the Eastern Front the Soviet Operation Bagration continued, the German defensive line had been smashed apart in many places. The scale of the attacks across the whole of the central front, encompassing most of modern day Belorussia, is hard to comprehend. The Germans were being encircled or cut off piecemeal. Sometimes they would make desperate attempts to break out to the west. On other occasions that were able to mount a relatively organised defence.

Vasily Krysov commanded a platoon of SU-122 self propelled howitzers, part of a Red Army force that had spent the last week trying to catch up with the Germans:

Pursuing the retreating enemy through the night with occasional clashes against rearguard detachments, we reached the line ‘Krugel’ — forest two kilometres east of Krugel – by dawn of 7 July. Our further advance was stopped here by very heavy fire from German artillery, tanks and assault guns dug—in on Hill 197.2, which had been converted into an enemy strongpoint.

We quickly concealed the tanks and self-propelled guns behind folds in the terrain, and disguised them thoroughly. Lacking clear targets, the Germans randomly shelled our forest. It was so stuffy and hot that even at night, the forest couldn’t spare us from the sultry July air; our crews’ overalls were soaked with sweat, and our faces were as grimy as stokers.

… [the attack began after an artillery bombardment] …

Immediately, dozens of tank engines roared as the tanks and self-propelled guns headed menacingly towards the enemy lines. Our self-propelled guns and the infantry followed behind the tanks. The 1821st Regiment of heavy SU—152 self-propelled guns headed by Major Gromov moved in the second echelon as the corps’ reserve of General Anashkin’s 129th Rifle Corps.

Judging from the expressions on the faces of my crew and the communications from the other tank destroyers, everyone was in an elated mood and had no doubts about the success of our assault. Obviously, I was the only one who thought that the preparatory barrage had been too short and not sufficiently concentrated for such a solid enemy defence, and for some reason there had been no air strike at all.

As soon as the tanks and self-propelled guns emerged from the forest, the enemy defence came to life and bristled with fire. Shells began to explode just nearby. Machine—gun bursts were riddling the area. The parched rye caught fire — at first locally, but the fire spread quickly, and the wind drove a line of crackling red flames and long plumes of smoke towards us. It became unbearably stuffy inside the fighting compartment because of the heat and smoke, even though all the ventilation fans and the powerful fan of the engine’s flywheel were working.

It was hard to breathe, but even more difficult to spot enemy tanks and guns. The flames and smoke concealed the discharges of firing enemy gun barrels, and we had to fire at vague outlines of targets. Our tank destroyer was heading directly towards the hill, about 30 metres behind the tanks and in a gap between them, to allow firing opportunities. Revutsky’s machine rolled to the right of us, while the other self-propelled guns advanced on the left.

I took a glance out of the hatch to get a better view of the battlefield and to get my bearings. The T—34s were slowly advancing across the whole front towards the crackling, burning rye, firing on the move from guns and the hull and turret machine guns.

The self-propelled guns were advancing in their wake, positioned in the gaps between the tanks — they would stop for several seconds from time to time to fire a shot. Enemy shells were exploding all along the front of the advance and throughout the entire depth of our formation.

Shells were either striking sparks from the steel hulls of the armoured vehicles, or they were ploughing up the earth near the tracks. Enemy machine guns were spraying the battlefield with a multi—layered deluge of lead, so intense that our foot soldiers couldn’t even move forward in a belly—crawl, and were forced to advance exclusively within the tracks of the tanks and self-propelled guns, sheltered by their hulls.

We left behind the wide strip of burning rye and in front of me to my left I saw two of our tanks burning. I thought bitterly about the burned crewmen, and about what was awaiting the rest of us on this blazing, wind—blown field, which had already gobbled up two tanks during the first hour of action. Quite a few infantrymen had already been killed or wounded too.

Gazing intensely at the Germans’ ominous defence line I managed to spot a gun that was firing at our tank destroyer, and I immediately ordered my gunlayer over the intercom: ‘Sergey! At the gun near the three birch trees! Sight mark 15! Fire!’

‘Lane!’ the driver reported to indicate that he had found level terrain as the vehicle stopped smoothly. With a lot of effort I discerned through the obscuring smoke that our shell had burst a bit short of the gun, and adjusted the aim: ‘Sight mark 16! Fire!’ ‘Comrade Lieutenant, the gun’s gone!’ Sergey Bykov reported.

‘Look for it to the left and right of their previous position!’ However, there was already a spurt of flame from the left birch tree. We sensed a hit on the hull and heard an explosion. The left side of the machine was illuminated by fire! ‘Short! Fire!’ Sergey ordered and fired again. An instant after the shot we heard Bykov report in our headphones: ‘The target’s been hit!’

See Vasiliy Krysov: Panzer Destroyer: Memoirs of a Red Army Tank Commander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

There are the videos, Here is the turn map.

This map is 100% accurate, but it doesn't help you tell who is who.

This map is 100% inaccurate, but at least you know who is where!

Orders resume. This will be a 1-2 minute turn.

• Locked thread