Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mustang posted:

We should invade Iran and liberate all the hot Persian chicks from the hijab

And if Iranian Americans are any indicator they're a pretty irreligious bunch and way more open to western lifestyles than anyone else in the region.

Iranian-Americans almost 100% are the ones who got thrown out / fled during the Shah's overthrow (that, or they're those guys's kids.) Key tell is if they prefer being called Persian, a lot of them find 'Iranian' to be fairly offensive. They're going to be very ideologically different from the ones that stayed; it's kinda like trying to judge native Cubans from the ones living in Florida.

The 'least religious / most open to Western lifestyle' Muslim country in the MidEast used to be Iraq, but these days your best bet is probably Lebanon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mustang posted:

We should invade Iran and liberate all the hot Persian chicks from the hijab

And if Iranian Americans are any indicator they're a pretty irreligious bunch and way more open to western lifestyles than anyone else in the region.

shes pretty hot

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

orange juche posted:

shes pretty hot

I'd def sneak off the FOB late one night with two of my joes, detain her and her family, plug her family in the dome in front of her and then violate her sexually before lightning that Muslim harlot and her folks on fire... If you know what I mean :wink:

Haha man, the surge is never not funny to remember.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-04/u-s-seen-as-biggest-oil-producer-after-overtaking-saudi.html

quote:

The U.S. will remain the world’s biggest oil producer this year after overtaking Saudi Arabia and Russia as extraction of energy from shale rock spurs the nation’s economic recovery, Bank of America Corp. said.

U.S. production of crude oil, along with liquids separated from natural gas, surpassed all other countries this year with daily output exceeding 11 million barrels in the first quarter, the bank said in a report today. The country became the world’s largest natural gas producer in 2010. The International Energy Agency said in June that the U.S. was the biggest producer of oil and natural gas liquids.

“The U.S. increase in supply is a very meaningful chunk of oil,” Francisco Blanch, the bank’s head of commodities research, said by phone from New York. “The shale boom is playing a key role in the U.S. recovery. If the U.S. didn’t have this energy supply, prices at the pump would be completely unaffordable.”

Oil extraction is soaring at shale formations in Texas and North Dakota as companies split rocks using high-pressure liquid, a process known as hydraulic fracturing, or fracking. The surge in supply combined with restrictions on exporting crude is curbing the price of West Texas Intermediate, America’s oil benchmark. The U.S., the world’s largest oil consumer, still imported an average of 7.5 million barrels a day of crude in April, according to the Department of Energy’s statistical arm.

I'm pretty sure I've effortposted before how there's few things in recent years with more effect on national security than fracking. One can only imagine the effect on oil prices, gas prices and the knockon all the way down the economy if all this Mideast poo poo was going down without the tremendous buffer of American oil production; we'd be in complete lockup. That's not even getting into what the GDP numbers of this 'recovery' would look like minus the brown economy.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

the brown economy

Don't even start, Shim

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Snowdens Secret posted:

Don't even start, Shim

Instead of pesos do they use negros in the brown economy?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Also.. We're the largest producers of Oil and Gas, how long can we sustain that? Do we have enough proven reserves to ride the next correction?

Cheap natural gas really delays the poo poo out of nuclear long term I'm guessing, so when do we run into expensive LNG here and have a coal gap between there and nuclear/renewables..

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Good thing gas prices are still going up.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Obama Africanus posted:

Also.. We're the largest producers of Oil and Gas, how long can we sustain that? Do we have enough proven reserves to ride the next correction?

Going just off of proven reserves, a very, very long time. The question is rather what level of environmental damage and flammable aquifer you are willing to accept. Even if you give zero shits about nature , drinking water is kind of a big deal to gently caress up. A lot of the reserves you'd like to tap are close to large population centers, and in areas already strapped for fresh water. It is unlikely we'll find a way to frak without causing ground water pollution.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Godholio posted:

Good thing gas prices are still going up.

That was my point. Without the increase in domestic production from fracking, it would be far, far worse (see: the "completely unaffordable" bit I quoted), not just for you to fill up to get to work, but for anything to be shipped by truck. Which at a minimum includes all your groceries, whose prices would have to reflect that tremendous rise, and which are already under tremendous price pressures.

The German situation is a clear reminder that it's more politics that holds up new nuclear than it is fossil fuel prices.

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon
https://ia902500.us.archive.org/24/items/dbq01_desktop_en/dbq01_desktop_en.pdf

Gotta give ISIS credit due for their graphic designers, crazy to see terrorist's running convoys with our old mraps and knights.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Courthouse posted:

Going just off of proven reserves, a very, very long time. The question is rather what level of environmental damage and flammable aquifer you are willing to accept. Even if you give zero shits about nature , drinking water is kind of a big deal to gently caress up. A lot of the reserves you'd like to tap are close to large population centers, and in areas already strapped for fresh water. It is unlikely we'll find a way to frak without causing ground water pollution.

If you're getting this from the Pennsylvania stuff, I don't have any links bookmarked but it took some serious flim-flammery to blame flammable tap water on fracking. (E: See here, bottom of page 5.) Regardless of any actual possible risks, essentially every complaint brought up against fracking (in that case) was a complete and rather obvious sham. This goes along with anti-fracking (along with a huge dollop of the rest of the green stuff, including roughly the entirety of the anti-nuclear movement) appealing to people who are essentially religious nuts with a Weekly World News level of science understanding.

(Ignorant people with bad energy policy really piss me off, especially when they don't realize just how far their dumb NIMBY poo poo reaches; see, the entire loving MidEast)

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 7, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowdens Secret posted:

Iranian-Americans almost 100% are the ones who got thrown out / fled during the Shah's overthrow (that, or they're those guys's kids.) Key tell is if they prefer being called Persian, a lot of them find 'Iranian' to be fairly offensive. They're going to be very ideologically different from the ones that stayed; it's kinda like trying to judge native Cubans from the ones living in Florida.

The 'least religious / most open to Western lifestyle' Muslim country in the MidEast used to be Iraq, but these days your best bet is probably Lebanon

i know an iranian citizen who has the same thing where he gets really offended by being known as one. apparently there's still a large minority of people who just weren't able to peace out of the country back during the revolution or w.e

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

That was my point. Without the increase in domestic production from fracking, it would be far, far worse (see: the "completely unaffordable" bit I quoted), not just for you to fill up to get to work, but for anything to be shipped by truck. Which at a minimum includes all your groceries, whose prices would have to reflect that tremendous rise, and which are already under tremendous price pressures.

The German situation is a clear reminder that it's more politics that holds up new nuclear than it is fossil fuel prices.

Gas prices are barely linked to production/refining capabilities. The current rise of gas prices in the US is due entirely to speculation caused by the deregulation of the commodities market in the 90s.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

My favorite part of this oil/gas prices fighting is the fact that like 95% of people omit that some good ole boys from the woods of North Carolina found a solution for cars in the 20s.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Genocide Tendency posted:

My favorite part of this oil/gas prices fighting is the fact that like 95% of people omit that some good ole boys from the woods of North Carolina found a solution for cars in the 20s.

If your talking about slamming down ethyl glycol and methanol and stringing up errant farm equipment gone native that you caught whistling at a white woman.. Yeah, I suppose the boys in NC solved our problem of a good portable hydrocarbon fuel. First pass cold pressed racism is pretty much 178 octane and also is great for a huff, or a lynching. And we're still fracking jerry curl deposits in Birmingham, AL from the days when Eddie murphies girl liked to party all the time.. So maybe the energy solution is forever below the Mason-Dixon Line. :shrug:

Anyway, if we could find a way to make booger sugar and into a high octane clean fuel I bet NASCAR would be a fuckload more interesting. My imaginary morning commute to the job I don't have would certainly be livened up, that's for sure.

Holy poo poo the mighty ducks is on!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

psydude posted:

Gas prices are barely linked to production/refining capabilities. The current rise of gas prices in the US is due entirely to speculation caused by the deregulation of the commodities market in the 90s.

Psydude I swear, I have no idea how deep your rabbit hole goes

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Snowdens Secret posted:

Deep.

:stare:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Production/refining will help control price fluctuations due to supply issues (and has helped offset the bigger problem of competing with emerging market like China, India, and Brazil); however if you think that increased domestic output = lower prices, then you're over-simplifying a very complex issue.

e: The TLDR for both of those papers is that speculation likely had little to do with the pre-2008 increase; however it has probably contributed to post-2008 price shocks.

psydude fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 7, 2014

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
If speculation had little to do with oil and gas prices pre-2008, why did prices crash so hard after the stock market poo poo the bed, and rise steadily afterwards? Demand is relatively inelastic and thus didn't drop much when the recession hit, and production certainly didn't skyrocket overnight.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you think the current price of gas has anything at all to do with scarcity, you haven't been paying attention.

Edit : I can type this morning, really.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

If speculation had little to do with oil and gas prices pre-2008, why did prices crash so hard after the stock market poo poo the bed, and rise steadily afterwards? Demand is relatively inelastic and thus didn't drop much when the recession hit, and production certainly didn't skyrocket overnight.

That's essentially the point: the rapid rise in price between 04-08 was due mainly to a sharp demand increase from emerging markets; however the price drop in 2008 and subsequent resurgence in the face of rapidly increasing domestic production is most likely the result of speculation in the futures market.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's Jordan. Ask anyone in Australia about "Lebos"

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Larry Parrish posted:

i know an iranian citizen who has the same thing where he gets really offended by being known as one. apparently there's still a large minority of people who just weren't able to peace out of the country back during the revolution or w.e

A guy I've known since high school was born in Iran after the revolution and he always makes sure people know he's Persian. He still visits his family back in Iran every so often and he says that people in Iran eat up American movies/tv shows/music/etc. According to him while the vast majority of Iranians are no fans of the US government they actually tend to have a very positive view of American people and a lot of them wish they could move to the US. By this point a lot of people are pretty upset with the way the revolution turned out.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I seriously wonder how long it will take the muslim world to come around to the modern age, i.e. not killing each other/non-muslims left and right because of religion and being general dickholes. I've always thought about what it would be like to visit Iraq when I'm an old fart with an IRAQ WAR VET hat on visiting my old patrol sector in Baghdad, like how old Vietnam vets do that poo poo. But then I realize that won't happen for a loooooongggg loving time, definitely way past any of our lifetimes.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Mike-o posted:

I seriously wonder how long it will take the muslim world to come around to the modern age, i.e. not killing each other/non-muslims left and right because of religion and being general dickholes. I've always thought about what it would be like to visit Iraq when I'm an old fart with an IRAQ WAR VET hat on visiting my old patrol sector in Baghdad, like how old Vietnam vets do that poo poo. But then I realize that won't happen for a loooooongggg loving time, definitely way past any of our lifetimes.

That depends entirely on how quickly you can get every fractured alliance in the middle east to kill themselves to oblivion or appoint a charismatic shadow puppet dictator to rule across the entire region. Strife in the Middle East is an obvious foregone conclusion, so you might as well accelerate its slide into a constant tire fire.

Then again the more energy independent we become, the less fucks we can give to that area entirely. Kinda like what's going on with this

quote:

Former Afghan Finance Minister Ashraf Ghani is in the lead to succeed Hamid Karzai as the country's next president, according to preliminary results Monday from the disputed vote.

The country's Independent Election Commission said Ghani had 56.44 percent of the vote. His main rival, Abdullah Abdullah, received 43.56 percent. The results were due last week but were delayed amid Abdullah's allegations of widespread fraud.

Abdullah, the former foreign minister, easily won the first round of voting on April 5 with 45 percent of the ballots, but he fell short of the 50 percent needed for an outright victory. In that vote, Abdullah held a 14-percentage-point lead over Ghani. As NPR's Sean Carberry reported last week: "Many thought Abdullah was on target to be the next president."

But as unofficial results began to trickle in, it became clear Ghani, a former World Bank official, was winning comfortably. Abdullah alleged massive fraud, and refused to accept the results.

According to Monday's results, Ghani had 4,485,888 votes to Abdullah's 3,461,639 votes – a difference of a little more than 1 million votes.

The election commission acknowledged that there had been some fraud, and promised a full investigation before final results are released.

"We cannot ignore that there were technical problems and fraud that took place during the election process," the commission's chairman Ahmad Yousuf Nouristani said. "We are not denying fraud in the election, some governors and Afghan government officials were involved in fraud."

His comments were reported by The Associated Press.

Indeed as Sean told Morning Edition today, the European Union says at least a quarter of the ballot boxes must be audited for this election to be certified as legitimate.

The election is seen as crucial and will pave the way for Afghanistan's first democratic transition of power. Karzai has served two consecutive terms, and is stepping down as per the country's Constitution. Western troops are scheduled to leave Afghanistan by the end of the year, and the eventual winner of the election is expected to sign a security pact with the U.S., which would leave some 10,000 troops in the country for training and counterterrorism purposes.

But the impasse over the election results is renewing fears of a descent into chaos. Here's more from Sean's story:

"The international community is working aggressively behind the scenes to pressure the candidates and Afghanistan's electoral commissions to work transparently and quickly, and to find a way to address Abdullah's concerns.
"But there's a growing fear that one side or the other will end up believing the election was stolen — either on election day or during the counting and fraud adjudication process.
"The best-case scenario is a new president takes office lacking a mandate and with roughly half the country against him. In the worst case, the losing side decides to contest the decision — not with lawyers, but with warlords."
Final results are due July 22.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

quote:

frakking and nuclear is totes safe you guyz

I'd argue that there is a pretty obvious connection between the neighbours hydro fracturing, and not-water stuff suddenly leaking into your well through these fractures that weren't here last week. And the dangers of nuclear are pretty obvious, and we'll never fully eliminate human stupidity.

That's not to say environmental campaigners have not "improved" evidence and scandals when a situation is not sufficiently black/white for a good campaign. Or that, say, hydro power has not killed loads more people worldwide from bust dams and ruined habitats, etc. But it does not remove the fact that this poo poo will never be clean, and dumb people will always be trying to cut corners and causing disasters.

But honestly I am too lazy to give the subject the effort it deserves for a decent debate on the merits.

TLDR is that there is no such thing as feasible free and clean energy, and frakking is not something you can just do without consequences. The question rather is which set of consequences we prefer.

Mike-o posted:

I seriously wonder how long it will take the muslim world to come around to the modern age, i.e. not killing each other/non-muslims left and right because of religion and being general dickholes.

The modern world never moved out of the killing left and right for religious/dickhead reasons, we just got a few big bombs and all agreed to keep our wanton murder outside europe/north america. Who knows? Perhaps Iran and Saudia Arabia getting the bomb will end up calming the area down? Slap up a wall through Baghdad to make it all formal.

Courthouse fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 7, 2014

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Courthouse posted:

And the dangers of nuclear are pretty obvious, and we'll never fully eliminate human stupidity.

:allears: Going to have to save this one for posterity.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Courthouse posted:

The modern world never moved out of the killing left and right for religious/dickhead reasons, we just got a few big bombs and all agreed to keep our wanton murder outside europe/north america. Who knows? Perhaps Iran and Saudia Arabia getting the bomb will end up calming the area down? Slap up a wall through Baghdad to make it all formal.

Actually killing for resources and economic power is pretty rational vs chopping off little girl heads into the 21st century because of petty bullshit that has nothing to do with actual oppression

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Courthouse posted:

And the dangers of nuclear are pretty obvious

Go ahead, I'll wait. :allears:

I'm probating you if your answer involves Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, or Fukushima

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Do criticality incidents (eg demon core) count?

Nuke power is awesome, I just wanna throw the guy a bone

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Please don't take this away from me EBB.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
what about that accident that killed those three army guys and drove a spike through one guy pinning him to the roof.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

..I hate you people.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
i'm sorry whip I'm drunk I'll go to the thread

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's not like the criticality incidents are a good example, it was more early nuclear scientists with poor safety protocols. If you want a legit accident from poor design and operation, you could look at K-19 or other nuclear vessel incidents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_K-19

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

GOD DAMNIT STOP DOING HIS HOMEWORK FOR HIM :mad:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Three of our lovely threads got more shitted up, so I'm getting back at you by posting content. :mad:

EBB fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 8, 2014

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Oh, I like content. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've seen Godzilla alright. No hiding the truth.

Honestly I'd be alright if a Godzilla-type creature existed.

• Locked thread