Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Al Nipper posted:

Ahahahaha I started skipping ahead before this and wish I hadn't. The cult is so loving stupid. Compare it to the initial threat and reveal of The Others, there is nothing intriguing or frightening about a bunch of chain smoking women in a halfway house.

Also I can't get past the central concept that the disappearance of a few million people would cause that much social unrest outside of their immediate families. Like would teenagers really give a gently caress? Nevermind the formation of cults. Did any of that happen after 9/11?

This whole thing feels like an early 2000 basic cable pilot and I'm shocked it's on HBO. I feel this will be Lindelof's Shyamalan moment, when people realize LOST (the beginning anyway) was a fluke and it's only getting worse from here.

Jesus gently caress this is a stupid post

This show is pretty good so far and seems promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Really digging this show. I like the slow pace, really letting the characters develop. The mystery isnt the only thing about the show ya know?

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?
I like to imagine Patti has a lifetime supply of legal pads to dramatically leave to punctuate conversation. It's like the GR version of dropping the mic.

Kinda thought Nora Durst's departure interview thing was going to be a Kevorkian style assisted suicide deal at first. I mean who would want to live in a world with infinite writing pads but no gummy worms?

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

Lucky Raccoon posted:

Kinda thought Nora Durst's departure interview thing was going to be a Kevorkian style assisted suicide deal at first.

I totally thought this too and in retrospect I'm not even exactly sure why. It just felt like that's where something like this might go.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Lucky Raccoon posted:

Kinda thought Nora Durst's departure interview thing was going to be a Kevorkian style assisted suicide deal at first. I mean who would want to live in a world with infinite writing pads but no gummy worms?

I got a Bladerunner style Voigt-Kampff vibe from that interview. As if the questions were made to bring out a strong emotion in the interviewees rather than to actually collect information. I almost expected her to ask about a turtle baking in the desert.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I thought the interview was an attempt to establish a correlation between the missing people. If they were trying to bring out emotion from the interviewees they wouldn't have e-mailed the list of the questions beforehand.

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?
I just wonder whether the 150 questions were intended to spread as wide a net of possible connections between the departed as possible or whether it was specific theories. The latter doesn't make as much sense, I know, unless they think some South American borne STD led to October 14th.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I don't know what it is but this show has me hooked.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Tomahawk posted:

They mentioned The Wire. It was all they had to do.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tomahawk posted:

I'm intrigued by everything except the white cult. That is the only thing majorly dragging the show down.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Second episode was fantastic. This is seriously my kind of show. Still don't know what the hell the deal is with Holy Wayne but he's totally intriguing nevertheless.

I also found it odd when I stopped and realized that the Garvey family completely fractured and fell apart, yet none of them were taken. I'm sure they're trying to make a not-so-obvious point here.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
No wonder everyone's gone nuts, I don't think I would want to live in a world where a Perfect Strangers reunion is an impossibility either.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Boogie posted:

I'm really enjoying this show. I like the characters and am not nearly as frustrated by everything as you guys apparently are. My only complaint with this episode was that I don't really understand what's so bad about Wayne that the FBI would need to send in a drat SWAT team. All we were told is that he maybe fucks underage girls, but they responded as if they were going after Bin Ladin. I guess maybe we'll find out some more sinister stuff about him in the future? But it's hard for me to get into the drama of that shootout when I'm just sitting there confused about why it's happening.

Otherwise though I'm loving this and am very much looking forward to the next episode. Despite some minor issues I'm totally on board. But it's not really a show I can defend passionately because it's just a matter of if it didn't hook you, it didn't hook you.

on top of the regular reasons already mentioned that the government's not a fan of gun hoarding cults, they found out that the Senator from last episode had fallen under Wayne's sway.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

E the Shaggy posted:

Yeah, I gave the show a shot with this second episode and it's just not pulling me in. It's a really good premise that they're just sort of squandered.

The "Guilty Remnants" are a neat idea but it just doesn't translate as well as it could. Why the hell do people join them? At least with a cult like Wayne's there's a charismatic leader to reel people in.

I'll just read the answers to all the mysteries on Wikipedia when the show ends.

E: Also the subplot of "Is the Police Chief actually this bald dog killer??" is stupid as all get out.

They're making it very obvious that they don't want to reveal GR's purpose and why people joined them just yet, did you really expect a crystal clear picture of everything in two loving episodes?

I'm hooked. It's not an amazing show but it has promise and I think it could be "great" by the end of the season. I hope that viewers stick around long enough to find out.

That being said: Liv Tyler is awful, the lady who plays Nora isn't great either, the SWAT raid was weird mostly because they were violently beating and shooting at what they knew were underage girls who were shanghai'd into joining a cult? And the "bagel subplot" was sort of dumb.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Slackerish posted:

They're making it very obvious that they don't want to reveal GR's purpose and why people joined them just yet, did you really expect a crystal clear picture of everything in two loving episodes?

I'm hooked. It's not an amazing show but it has promise and I think it could be "great" by the end of the season. I hope that viewers stick around long enough to find out.

That being said: Liv Tyler is awful, the lady who plays Nora isn't great either, the SWAT raid was weird mostly because they were violently beating and shooting at what they knew were underage girls who were shanghai'd into joining a cult? And the "bagel subplot" was sort of dumb.

The bagel stuff was around his "am I going crazy or what" subplot. He lives in a world where his father is nuts, he's seeing bizarre poo poo that maybe is happening/maybe isn't and might be going nuts, too, one where it's an established fact that millions of people simply vanished out of nowhere for no reason... So I'll cut him some slack for being a bit freaked out about the possibility of other random poo poo such as disappearing bread happening, and him needing to confirm his sanity.

For the viewers, we got 2 checks and confirmations of his sanity - first was that the bald truck guy is real, second that his bagel did, indeed, get stuck. So we can go forward being reasonably sure that if we're seeing something from his perspective it probably isn't him hallucinating; he's being established as a somewhat reliable narrator.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I liked the bagel subplot. Lots of people are content to accept mystery and doubt and the unknown in their life - lots of people need it. Garvey is the sort of guy who, when he loses a bagel, spends the day attempting to figure out who stole it, and then makes a special trip into work because it's bothering him so much to open up the loving machine and find a goddamn answer. Tells you a lot about the guy in the context of a show like this.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Slackerish posted:

I was actually thinking about this last night, and I think I hit on why the GR is kinda missfiring for people.

All the other Garvey's are in the dark about things. They don't know much about anything and are left to their own devices to figure it out.

Contrast that with the mom, who is actually in a place where she does know something significant (ideology and purpose of the GR,) but she's not in a place to inform us about what that is. So instead, the audience surrogate is going to be Liv Tyler. And that's not a good thing.

It's a shame, because I would really much rather see and understand the inner workings of the GR and their day to day life. Instead we're getting the mysterious indoctrination stuff that isn't going to hit that well because the actress can't really support it.

I remember in the advertising that lead up to the show, Liv mentioned that the character she plays had a seriously diminished role in the books (I think it was a one off character that never shows up again) but that she felt she needed to really embody and expand her.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Oh man Wayne seems like such a fascinating nut. That scene where he was making out with Berg's corpse was interesting.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Been reading this thread and it seems like a lot of people are confused re: candy.

Gummy bears still exist in the world. Amply. The kid just had to smuggle them into the cult's compound because Wayne enforces all types of crazy rear end rules. The world is fundamentally the same. They obviously picked the percentage of population to disappear at a number high enough that it would impact an appreciable of those who remained but at the same time low enough that it would not fundamentally change the global economy, commerce, etc etc

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
my wife and I could not stop laughing at the possibility that his bagel had been raptured away. I'm giving this another couple of episodes to get interesting...

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Where does the Liv Tyler hate come from? I dont get it

No bid COVID
Jul 22, 2007

From reading the wikipedia plot summary of the novel, it sounds like there's enough material for a season at most. Has anyone seen an article or interview regarding a potential second season, or is The Leftovers explicitly a 10 episode series?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cotato posted:

Where does the Liv Tyler hate come from? I dont get it

She's fine. I'm just gonna chalk it up to :bandwagon:

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009
I bet the reveal will be: stuff got craptured, and no one in the show has the answers. The GR are passive aggressive holier than thou cultists who all die from emphysema (heh "Save Your Breath"). The Secret (TM by WayneCult) to Happiness is that he gives the best handjobs in the universe. The Mysterious Stranger is an adult with Aspergers and poor social skills and a big childhood experience with dogs.

Loving the new intro though

tatopom fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 7, 2014

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Siets posted:

She's fine. I'm just gonna chalk it up to :bandwagon:

It's not really. She's a fine person, but the scene where she freaks out at Laurie in the woods about the tree was pretty bad. From an acting standpoint, there was no build up to the moment and her reaction seemed very flat.

I am not a fan of her acting. You may be.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I want to like this but again we watched and all we could say afterwards was "ehhhhhh".

The bar for original content on premium channels is high and they aren't reaching it in my opinion. A few of the characters are interesting (most unlikable as someone said), and the premise is engaging in every way but not much is happening to make me care. Will give it one more ep.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

Unluckyimmortal posted:

From reading the wikipedia plot summary of the novel, it sounds like there's enough material for a season at most. Has anyone seen an article or interview regarding a potential second season, or is The Leftovers explicitly a 10 episode series?

Assuming it does well they're planning on a Season 2 from what I read, yeah. And according to Damon Lindelof in one of the many pre-show interviews they're going to be overtaking the book within this very season.

Also I don't get why everyone is so confused about the Guilty Remnant. Is there much more to understand than that they're a cult whose purpose is to remind people about the departed, in a world where everyone just wants to move on, and they smoke and stand there silently to annoy and provoke people, i.e the Westboro Baptist Church?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

thathonkey posted:

Been reading this thread and it seems like a lot of people are confused re: candy.

Gummy bears still exist in the world. Amply. The kid just had to smuggle them into the cult's compound because Wayne enforces all types of crazy rear end rules. The world is fundamentally the same. They obviously picked the percentage of population to disappear at a number high enough that it would impact an appreciable of those who remained but at the same time low enough that it would not fundamentally change the global economy, commerce, etc etc

It's actually simpler than that. She currently lives on an out of the way closed compound that is guarded and sees very little traffic. There just isn't any time for someone to run out and buy some gummy bears/worms on a regular basis, unless you're one of the dudes that drives visitors in and out.

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009
Nah like every other cult they think they are too good for the world, but still love their sweet sweet candy and cigarettes. They're just too pure to do their own groceries

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
That the GR dont talk once theyve formally joined the cult is kind of interesting (eh kinda) but from a practical standpoint it was a really bad choice for a filmed adaptation.

All of the scenes that involve watching people scribble and read back and forth have been incredibly tedious.

Also the teenage girls subplot makes very little sense...

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Not comparing the two shows but drat did the true detective thread have people saying "i dont understand this thing therefore it is stupid" after like two episodes because holy poo poo

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, that stuff got really bad.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Still liking this. The only part I don't really like is the GR cult but I;m sure that will become better in time.

We've already had people question just how much would change when people randomly disappeared so everyone should prepare themselves for a lot of confused posters.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm glad to see the cast of Perfect Strangers went to heaven...or whatever.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this show. I enjoyed last nights episode aside from the teenagers being terrible again thing.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Yaoi Mandel posted:

Not comparing the two shows but drat did the true detective thread have people saying "i dont understand this thing therefore it is stupid" after like two episodes because holy poo poo

Yeah, it actually made me like the show more because I realized I was smarter irl than like 99 percent of the population.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Slackerish posted:

Liv Tyler is probably the only way we'll see how the GR works, and ummm I don't wanna call her a bad actor but she does not have much, if any range, or possibly any material to work with.

Nora I actually think is interesting. The gun is weird. Don't entirely understand her dropping the coffee since she already paid for it and all that. So she's now the mysterious one of the cast.

The FBI SWAT raid is probably just indicative of past crazy cult poo poo and I wasn't surprised they made them all trigger happy and poo poo. That being said Wayne is a huge loving charlatan without saying it (hugs the sad out of them, really?) and he probably thinks Christine is carrying his prophet of a child or something, which would be the simplest way to make her so "important".

Also the entire throughline of Kevin this episode was everyone questioning his sanity, because his father went crazy. He even asks his dad, "when did it start", followed by his dad going nuts and starting to talk to imaginary people. Even the mayor, the shrink, his subordinates questioned him about it because he went apeshit on a group of dogs and said a dude he didn't know told him to do it and join in. Only when his daughters show up when that guy is at the door is that shown to him that guy is real as day (if not the truck showing up on his driveway), and the bagel is him just confirming he's not crazy; there is an explanation of what happened there and he's still in control (or wants to think that way).

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

What makes you think his father is crazy?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This seriously feels like it should be a mini-series especially if it's going to overtake the source in one season.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
just to make sure I didn't hallucinate it: the Mayor is romantically involved with Garvey Sr, right? They kissed when she was leaving from visiting him in the mental hospital and she told him about Garvey Jr going dog-hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Hey cult idiots, buy a dry erase board.

• Locked thread