Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Looking at the list, most goons play on PC. On PS3 I can log in to the Origin network, but is there any cross-over in MP between platforms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
No, platforms are all separate.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

My Q-Face posted:

Looking at the list, most goons play on PC. On PS3 I can log in to the Origin network, but is there any cross-over in MP between platforms?
I'm on PS3 and still play frequently if you need a buddy. PSN MosquitoJones.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

lolasaurusrex posted:

Nice one man, thanks for the advice.

Per the advice of the guy above, I'm gonna change to a class that doesn't rely on guns until I've unlocked some better damage dealers. I have a ton of credits just sitting after my session this morning, so I'll spend them all ASAP and hope for something useful.

Once I've decided on a class, I'll play some bronze runs to level it up a little then add a bunch of goons.

Most games are better with goons. I'll have to get in touch with y'all sometime and have you drag me kicking and screaming through gold. But man, once you play this enough SP really is a cakewalk.

Also, I did discover that when you get caught in a firefight as a Volus Adept it's really useful to mash the living hell out of your Shield Boost key and RUN. It's really a shame that the game does not give points for "healing" like the VA can do with shields, though when you are paired with other biotics I imagine that you can run roughshod through levels like a great biotic wind!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

What is it about activating terminals or uploading data that makes pubbies decide that the best course of action is to split up, run as far away from those objectives as they can, and get systematically slaughtered?

I seriously need to find Goon-only games. PS3 pubbies are officially the dumbest batch of idiots I have ever had to put up with.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

sitchelin posted:

What is it about activating terminals or uploading data that makes pubbies decide that the best course of action is to split up, run as far away from those objectives as they can, and get systematically slaughtered?

I seriously need to find Goon-only games. PS3 pubbies are officially the dumbest batch of idiots I have ever had to put up with.

Look who's never played with the slack-jawed idiots that form the majority of Xbox Live. Charge-less Kroguard from a few pages back was inspired by real life events.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

It's been at least a year since I last played but I put a little time into ME3 multi recently and remembered how much fun it was. I'd really like to get back into it.

I'm incredibly rusty and even then I'm not that great but if you'd like a Turian Sentinel on your side running around throwing Overloads and Warps like it's going out of style, go ahead and add Kaubocks on Origin! I don't have a lot of weapons and I'm almost always on the bottom of the scoreboard but I like to think keeping everything stunned with Overload contributes overall. :shobon:

though I think I hosed up my skills so I probably gotta start all the way back at level 1 again...

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

If anyone fancies a game or two sometime tomorrow, add me on Origin. My name is the same as it is here.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Kaubocks posted:

I don't have a lot of weapons and I'm almost always on the bottom of the scoreboard but I like to think keeping everything stunned with Overload contributes overall. :shobon:
You bring the Area Overload, I'll bring the Flamer. :getin: Added you and lolasaurus!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Kaubocks posted:

It's been at least a year since I last played but I put a little time into ME3 multi recently and remembered how much fun it was. I'd really like to get back into it.

I'm incredibly rusty and even then I'm not that great but if you'd like a Turian Sentinel on your side running around throwing Overloads and Warps like it's going out of style, go ahead and add Kaubocks on Origin! I don't have a lot of weapons and I'm almost always on the bottom of the scoreboard but I like to think keeping everything stunned with Overload contributes overall. :shobon:

though I think I hosed up my skills so I probably gotta start all the way back at level 1 again...

I once did a game (vs. geth) where I did nothing but overloaded enemies with a GE. Didn't even bottom frag, so I'm sure you'll be useful. :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

LuiCypher posted:

Most games are better with goons. I'll have to get in touch with y'all sometime and have you drag me kicking and screaming through gold. But man, once you play this enough SP really is a cakewalk.

Also, I did discover that when you get caught in a firefight as a Volus Adept it's really useful to mash the living hell out of your Shield Boost key and RUN. It's really a shame that the game does not give points for "healing" like the VA can do with shields, though when you are paired with other biotics I imagine that you can run roughshod through levels like a great biotic wind!
If you didn't name your VA Niftu Cal you did it wrong.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

SubponticatePoster posted:

If you didn't name your VA Niftu Cal you did it wrong.

Joke's on you - I did name him Niftu Cal the moment I got him out of the Premium Spectre Pack!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

lolasaurusrex posted:

Nice one man, thanks for the advice.

Per the advice of the guy above, I'm gonna change to a class that doesn't rely on guns until I've unlocked some better damage dealers. I have a ton of credits just sitting after my session this morning, so I'll spend them all ASAP and hope for something useful.

Once I've decided on a class, I'll play some bronze runs to level it up a little then add a bunch of goons.

In that case, you'll probably enjoy the Asari Adept. Keep your recharge rate at/near 200%, and spam biotic explosions on everything. Gear will eventually help but you'll be capable the moment you hit level 20 (earlier on silver/bronze) with literally nothing else.

Also the "max out basic guns/gear with veteran packs" strategy is helpful if you're just getting into things now. I ended up not doing it and went PSPs from the beginning, and as a result I've got a very schizophrenic manifest. Whenever you feel like you need a nice present for yourself, splurge on a PSP/Arsenal/Reserve pack.

tribbledirigible posted:

Play with goons as a level 1. They will drag you through kicking and screaming in Gold until you pop out as a level 20 in a few matches. It's pretty awesome going from a level 1 Human Engineer zapping lone mooks, then hiding to locking down spawns and making them explode in continuous fire.

This is the best part about ME3. You can level a class to 20 in just a single afternoon playsession. If you have goons to powerlevel you through gold/platinum matches, you can easily end up with several hundred thousand credits all of your classes up to level 20 over a weekend without even feeling grindy about it; and still have time to go out in the evenings.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Leif. posted:

Also the "max out basic guns/gear with veteran packs" strategy is helpful if you're just getting into things now.

I would disagree and say that you should go for the higher end packs until you get just a couple of solid weapons. Getting an Acolyte/Arc Pistol/Reegar/Widow/etc can really make it a lot easier to play certain characters and complete missions. The difference between "Human Engineer with a Predator X" and "Human Engineer with an Acolyte I" is pretty huge and I know which one I'd rather have.

Once you get a couple good weapons, yeah, Veteran Packs all the way, that way you don't waste high-end slots on Uncommon weapons and that way you build up a consumable supply without going straight for JEPs. Getting a few Rare weapons can make a huge difference, though, and I think it's worth trying to grab a couple before leaping into the Veteran grind.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Khizan posted:

I would disagree and say that you should go for the higher end packs until you get just a couple of solid weapons. Getting an Acolyte/Arc Pistol/Reegar/Widow/etc can really make it a lot easier to play certain characters and complete missions. The difference between "Human Engineer with a Predator X" and "Human Engineer with an Acolyte I" is pretty huge and I know which one I'd rather have.

Once you get a couple good weapons, yeah, Veteran Packs all the way, that way you don't waste high-end slots on Uncommon weapons and that way you build up a consumable supply without going straight for JEPs. Getting a few Rare weapons can make a huge difference, though, and I think it's worth trying to grab a couple before leaping into the Veteran grind.

There's no wrong way to do it. If you're okay with getting uncommons when spending credits for Spectre/Premium SPectre packs, then go for it. When I first started out, I usually went with Vet packs, punctuated by Spectre packs when I saw that I had enough.

Of course, this was back when Bioware would put out things like the Premium Veteran pack on rotation- those things were great for filling out uncommons. Not to mention the guaranteed Ultra Rares from the weekend challenges.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Early on I tried saving up for the expensive packs before building out my base weapons/equipment. Lately I've been getting recruit packs and veteran packs with the occasional spectre pack. Somehow though I can't build up more than 3-4 medigels and I haven't gotten a survival/shield pack in quite a few buys. Oog.

I will add MosquitoJones as soon as I get back to my PS3!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

My Q-Face posted:

Early on I tried saving up for the expensive packs before building out my base weapons/equipment. Lately I've been getting recruit packs and veteran packs with the occasional spectre pack. Somehow though I can't build up more than 3-4 medigels and I haven't gotten a survival/shield pack in quite a few buys. Oog.

I will add MosquitoJones as soon as I get back to my PS3!
Buy jumbo equipment packs if you need gels. You'll always get at least 5, sometimes more. They're only 33k.

e: will probably be playing a lot this weekend, Too loving hot to go out.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

As a Canadian on the 4th of July, all my usual online cool people to hang out with buddies all happen to be American and as such I'm left with a shitload of nothing to really do tonight. I'll be home from work around 12:30AM Eastern if anyone wants to cart my incredibly rusty rear end through some multiplayer matches. Mostly gonna just play as Turian Sentinel but I might hop around for funsies (and that's when we'll lose, I guarantee you). I mentioned it already a few posts ago but my Origin handle is Kaubocks. Add me if you want to party and do hard drugs.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Played some games with goons the past couple nights. Largely played as Turian Sentinel like I've already said a hundred times in the thread. I dont really have a lot of great gear and I came in at the bottom of the scoreboard every game but I like to think I did well enough to prove I'm not a liability.

Last night I got some super secret insider tips from one of the guys I played with (SAelmino, something along those lines? I'm sorry, I forget your exact name and I'm typing this in bed.) and I got a recommendation that with what gear I have I should try Alliance Infiltrator Unit. So I did that today.

THIS CLASS :supaburn:

I still rocked the bottom of the scoreboard but my points more than doubled, I believe. Definitely going to stick with this for a while.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Smol posted:

Getting a Saber X is easy. Just play the game for 700 hours! :v:

Well, to be fair, you're likely to max out something after just a few hundred hours. :v:

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I alway change my character from match to match and I feel like I'm the only player who does that. I even did it back when I didn't have a lot unlocked, I'd just bounce between early power classes. Variety is the spice of life!

Amok
Oct 5, 2004
You can't spell failure without U R A
I change characters/kits depending on my mood; usually I want to play as something I can reliably get stuff done with. The soldier classes still feel a bit weak compared to power-oriented classes, since my manifest isn't exactly bulging at the seams with powerful guns (I think the Hurricane I is my highest-DPS gun at the moment, and altough the Reegar, Piranha and Raider are close they are also kinda close-range.) Power classes that can't create power combos solo also suffer from the same problem: ineffectually plinking at a boss, or getting floored by mooks because you can't kill them fast enough is sort of boring.

One of the best things in playing with goons is that I feel much more comfortable at trying out different kits; with pubbies you really can't rely on them getting stuff done without your help.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I don't have a lot of weapons so I typically just stick to the same class or two. I need to get more comfortable switching around with goons, though-- I'm sure they won't mind if I shake things up every now and then and be laughably ineffectual with something like a Turian Saboteur. :v:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
It really does depend on your mood. Some days I'll just want to headbutt and burn things with my KroSol for the entire play session, and some days I'll swap to a different character every one or two matches.

Lately I've really been getting into the Saber TurSol, so that's been getting a lot more playtime than everything else put together.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I play pretty much every class, but the Saber Turian Soldier gets a lot more playtime than the others for some reason. Also a GI/SI/BatDept whenever I just want to wreck everything and score 250k points.

Smol fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 7, 2014

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I know TurSol is a damage machine with any gun, but I never enjoy myself using him. I get bored because my only options are shoot things and shoot things harder.

I do have to say that ME3 has a nice stable of varied space guns, but I still prefer space magic. Ninja swords, batarian punches, and giant fuckoff space hammers are all good fun, too.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Characters with Warp are great! Even if you land with a terrible team you should be fine. IMO it's the best, fast, works-against-almost-everything-power, and you can use it to explode poo poo idiot teammates trigger by accident or cheese it with some plentiful Incendiary Ammo (I always have tons of that stuff around for some reason?).

The times I play these days I often settle with TurSent, the generic overall efficient every map every enemy killer, the GethSol if I want to score tons or possibly the basic Human Adept or Asari Valkyrie to make things *KA-BOOM* just by myself. The Paladin is also very nice, but I tend to die too much without Cyclonic Modulators and poo poo. And the sole piece of equipment I really ever want to use is the Geth Scanner.

Also it's fun to run around with an Asari Valkyrie with Tech Armor, Annihilaton Field and Geth Scanner on, because your screen is mostly filled by special effects that glow and ripple and make odd rectangular shapes and you have to really concentrate to locate a space monster cranium for the Arc Pistol or Talon headshot.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lately I've been on a huge Human Soldier Cryo/Falcon/Concussive kick. THOOMP THOOMP CRAAAASH! THOOMP CRASH!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Ligur posted:

Characters with Warp are great! Even if you land with a terrible team you should be fine. IMO it's the best, fast, works-against-almost-everything-power, and you can use it to explode poo poo idiot teammates trigger by accident or cheese it with some plentiful Incendiary Ammo (I always have tons of that stuff around for some reason?).

The times I play these days I often settle with TurSent, the generic overall efficient every map every enemy killer, the GethSol if I want to score tons or possibly the basic Human Adept or Asari Valkyrie to make things *KA-BOOM* just by myself. The Paladin is also very nice, but I tend to die too much without Cyclonic Modulators and poo poo. And the sole piece of equipment I really ever want to use is the Geth Scanner.

Also it's fun to run around with an Asari Valkyrie with Tech Armor, Annihilaton Field and Geth Scanner on, because your screen is mostly filled by special effects that glow and ripple and make odd rectangular shapes and you have to really concentrate to locate a space monster cranium for the Arc Pistol or Talon headshot.

Can you explain the Warp + incendiary ammo cheese?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Leif. posted:

Can you explain the Warp + incendiary ammo cheese?

Put Warp on something, shoot it a bunch with Incendiary Ammo, weird coding causes incendiary DoTs to stack endlessly instead of just refreshing like normal. Watch thing die really quick to 5000 per tic combined DoT when you stop shooting.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Put Warp on something, shoot it a bunch with Incendiary Ammo, weird coding causes incendiary DoTs to stack endlessly instead of just refreshing like normal. Watch thing die really quick to 5000 per tic combined DoT when you stop shooting.

The obligatory video: http://youtu.be/yaWSsuTRduQ

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah like that.

To try out in real-life (game) without the Reegar, just take something with Warp, Incendiary ammo level whatever, Warp an Atlas and then hug it while emptying clips from the Hurricane or whatever you have that shoots fast. OMG!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
If I shoot something first with incendiary and then warp it to get the delicious explosions, does it stay primed for the next barrage of flaming ammo?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Re: Incendiary cheese- it's better on PC, the DoT is tied to refresh rates and consoles don't have as fast a refresh rate. It's still broken as gently caress, but not as broken as on the PC, you lucky sons of bitches .

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Combine that with how fiddly the headshots are to get on consoles and I can see why console players coast on silver with the odd gold challenge, while the PC master race can handle platinum and view gold as a 'nice change of pace'

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I play adept for this very reason. I can't aim with a controller to save my life but the singularity+shockwave/warp combos have seen me to the top of the scoreboards just for mashing shoulder buttons in the enemy's general direction.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Combine that with how fiddly the headshots are to get on consoles and I can see why console players coast on silver with the odd gold challenge, while the PC master race can handle platinum and view gold as a 'nice change of pace'

I don't know what you're talking about. Platinum isn't all that difficult on 360, I just wouldn't want to attempt it without using one of the powerful characters and/or having a full goon team.

Besides, I'm terrible at gun's, so I usually stick to the biotic and tech classes anyway.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Whoa just recently got Turian Sab, and Talon Merc, two classes that I really was wanting to play. And they're both amazingly fun thus far.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Smol posted:

I play pretty much every class, but the Saber Turian Soldier gets a lot more playtime than the others for some reason. Also a GI/SI/BatDept whenever I just want to wreck everything and score 250k points.

My Saber is still too low so I've been running Hurricane Turian to trim down the hundred or so SMG Amp IIIs I had.

I'm down to 60 now :staredog:

(Origin: Ziffles btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Midee posted:

My Saber is still too low so I've been running Hurricane Turian to trim down the hundred or so SMG Amp IIIs I had.

I'm down to 60 now :staredog:

(Origin: Ziffles btw)

Wait, so you do play something else than a GI/GJ with that Crusader. :v:

• Locked thread