Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Cotato posted:

Where does the Liv Tyler hate come from? I dont get it

Her char/acting reminds me of Betty Draper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

thathonkey posted:

teenage girls make very little sense...

It doesn't have to make sense. They're just being white privileged teenagers, skipping school, getting drunk and stalking odd local celebrities with no consequences.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

geeves posted:

It doesn't have to make sense. They're just being white privileged teenagers, skipping school, getting drunk and stalking odd local celebrities with no consequences.

Yeah gently caress white people with privilege! Stupid fuckers!! Make me sick!

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
This thread is literally the worst.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
^^^^edit: There is a lot of hate left over from Lost it seems because, I have never demanded a tv show satisfy all my questions in 2 hours and 10 minutes of runtime.

Enjoyed the episode. Officially set the season pass right after. How are people confused by what is going on with GR? I find the kind of interesting from a troll perspective, and I enjoy their silence unlike westboro.

I want to learn a bit more about those folders they were passing around in the pilot, unless I missed something. Could someone explain that if I missed something?

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 7, 2014

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

geeves posted:

I think you a SJWing for no reason. The show has done a decent job showing that every person is impacted by the rapture and that things don't have the same impact they would've if the event hadn't happened. Now time to watch them deal with it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Piper posted:

just to make sure I didn't hallucinate it: the Mayor is romantically involved with Garvey Sr, right? They kissed when she was leaving from visiting him in the mental hospital and she told him about Garvey Jr going dog-hunting.

You hallucinated it. They're just good friends, and would have been working together for a while since he was the previous sheriff.

Cotato posted:

What makes you think his father is crazy?

There was certainly an aspect of "ghosts are telling him true things." However, telling someone you haven't lost your poo poo and then immediately having an argument with an invisible person is a pretty big indicator that you are crazy.

Geno posted:

Her char/acting reminds me of Betty Draper

I kind of agree with this, insofar as J Jones and Liv Tyler have pretty limited ranges. Betty played well for a few seasons, though, because her role on the show fit what Jones could do really well. Once it started moving her character away from that material, things started to fall apart for her.

Liv's character seems to already be out of her comfort zone, so we may never see her play it well. Or maybe we will!

Max fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 7, 2014

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
"I should have never told you to watch The Wire"

:lol:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Max posted:

You hallucinated it. They're just good friends, and would have been working together for a while since he was the previous sheriff.

I don't know many "good friends" who kiss each other on the mouth :v:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Carteret posted:

I don't know many "good friends" who kiss each other on the mouth :v:

I do but I may also hang out with weird people, so I guess I don't know anything about anything.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dirk Pitt posted:

I think you a SJWing for no reason. The show has done a decent job showing that every person is impacted by the rapture and that things don't have the same impact they would've if the event hadn't happened. Now time to watch them deal with it.

I had to look up what SJW was... :wtc: No intent to make it about that. Should have just said they're presented as bored, immature, suburban teenagers who do stupid things without consequence.

As for them dealing with it, you're correct. As I mentioned they never would have followed that woman if not for who she was: an odd local celebrity who instead of being the old guy salt shoveler from Home Alone, about whom they make up stories, we get similar stories about a 40ish woman who offed her family.

LmaoTheKid posted:

"I should have never told you to watch The Wire"

:lol:

Definitely a great reference. When first I saw the cork boards, I thought Lester and Prez would be proud.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

geeves posted:

That all makes sense it just seems contrived that theyre using the teens to explore/stalk that Nora lady because they saw her do something slghtly odd. But i guess you could just chalk that up to them being teenaged.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 7, 2014

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

The Piper posted:

just to make sure I didn't hallucinate it: the Mayor is romantically involved with Garvey Sr, right? They kissed when she was leaving from visiting him in the mental hospital and she told him about Garvey Jr going dog-hunting.

Yes. Would also explain the weird tension between her and Garvey in the first episode.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Yaoi Mandel posted:

Not comparing the two shows but drat did the true detective thread have people saying "i dont understand this thing therefore it is stupid" after like two episodes because holy poo poo

No by that point I think everyone was arguing about whether the Barbie scene meant Hart's daughter was molested or something

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?
I don't remember the quick flash showing a good glimpse of the woman Garvey was sleeping with mid-rapture. Is it possible Garvey Jr. was involved with the Mayor? I felt the tension between the two of them was more indicative of a relationship than the sweet mouth kiss with his dad.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
^^ I think the mayor and Garvey's dad were shacked up. The seemed rather familiar with each other, and more affectionate than just friends.

thathonkey posted:

That all makes sense it just seems contrived that theyre using the teens to explore/stalk that Nora lady because they saw her do something slghtly odd. But i guess you could just chalk that up to them being teenaged.

Eh, it doesn't seem that odd or contrived to me. Even without the "rapture" teenagers get bored and pick dumb poo poo to do, sometimes peoplewatching etc. A few times when I was that age we'd sort of semi-stalk people at malls or whatever because they just seemed weird (30+ year old dudes going into places like Hot Topic or whatever). In this case, they are stalking some lady they think might be completely unhinged due to the "rapture" because they saw she had a big rear end gun in her purse and then saw her intentionally knock her coffee mug on the floor; I could absolutely see them wanting to see if she does some crazy poo poo and want to follow her.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Dirk Pitt posted:

I want to learn a bit more about those folders they were passing around in the pilot, unless I missed something. Could someone explain that if I missed something?

They were dossiers of stalkees for recruitment into the cult.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
I think the lynch pin for all the mysteries in this series pivot on Perfect Strangers. A world without Bronson Pinchot would be a very sad place indeed. It might not be a Hey-lets-jump-off-our-dorm level of sad, but considering the amount of recreational drugs floating through universities I can see how some kids might find themselves in a frame of mind where that would be a reasonable response.

Wayne is obviously the Hollywood pitch man who tried desperately to get Perfect Strangers: The Movie greenlighted. He can take your anxiety away because he fought the hardest for our beloved Balki and Cousin Larry. It also helps that he whispers the impossibly awesome storylines he had set up for the film.

Also I managed to recognize the episode of Perfect Strangers Garvey and Dad were watching in the crazy house. In that episode, Balki and Larry try to make it rich by baking up a traditional Mypos pastry. It's a hit but they cannot keep up with demand so Larry decides to shortcut the recipe. Unfortunately these cream-filled pastries explode when the recipe is not followed to the letter. The episode ends with Balki and Larry standing in silence as they get covered from head to toe in cream filling as the pastries explode around them.

... and that's why the GR wear white.

rich thick and creamy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 7, 2014

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Get out of the city!

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Nora intentionally dropping the mug makes perfect sense to me. It could mean she's aware that everyone treats her with kid gloves because of what she's gone thru. I think she's seeing how far she can push it.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I re watched the pilot because there is nothing on my DVR. Is the GR trying to recruit the chief or were they just stalking him for kicks at the bar when he was talking to laundromat lady?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dirk Pitt posted:

I re watched the pilot because there is nothing on my DVR. Is the GR trying to recruit the chief or were they just stalking him for kicks at the bar when he was talking to laundromat lady?

Very likely trying to recruit him. I doubt that will be the case after he drunkenly assaulted one of their guys.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Slackerish posted:

And the "bagel subplot" was sort of dumb.

The whole purpose of that was for him to verify for himself (and us) that he isn't delusional. The beginning of the episode started dropping clues that he was insane. No one saw the Mystery Man, the truck was in his driveway, his bagels just disappeared. He's clearly delusional, right? Well, maybe not. His daughter addressed that the guy exists. His father said someone was sent to talk to him. And he found his bagels. So maybe he's not so crazy after all.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

the posted:

The whole purpose of that was for him to verify for himself (and us) that he isn't delusional. The beginning of the episode started dropping clues that he was insane. No one saw the Mystery Man, the truck was in his driveway, his bagels just disappeared. He's clearly delusional, right? Well, maybe not. His daughter addressed that the guy exists. His father said someone was sent to talk to him. And he found his bagels. So maybe he's not so crazy after all.

The more I've thought about this sub-plot, the more I like it and the less stupid it seems.

There was an interesting comment in the AV club review of this last episode, where the reviewer pointed out that this show tended to make very mundane aspects of everyday life seem much more menacing and alarming, or something. I am paraphrasing, but that was the general point. I think it's very true, there is this strange sense of heightened reality to the events that are occurring, where what seems odd is almost just how normal everyone is acting, for the most part.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I hope I wasn't the only one who was checking to see whether the daughter and her friend specifically addressed the Mystery Man when he was at the door.

There's still a part of me that's thinking that maybe the Cop guy actually handed her the beer (a-la Tyler Durden) and he's still going to end up being insane (or whatever his dad is going through).

fonducci
Feb 5, 2007
"The other white meat"
there is nothing outside of that pig cop's smoking hot daughter to keep me interested in this show

passive aggressive condescending stare cult isn't doing it for me
super turbo brohug nigga isn't doing it for me
liv tyler should be deported

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Well at least we wont have to read any more of your posts in this thread

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Jill's actress just mostly reminds me of a younger, hot version of Audrey Marie Anderson (who is pushing 40 but still is hot as hell).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Titan posted:

Nora intentionally dropping the mug makes perfect sense to me. It could mean she's aware that everyone treats her with kid gloves because of what she's gone thru. I think she's seeing how far she can push it.

That was my take on it as well.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Okay, only 2% of the world's population disappeared mysteriously, but what's the percentage on people who were directly connected to the people that disappeared? That seems to be the major thing the show is about. Even if you had nobody from your family who you loved or no close friends or any coworkers that were gone, somehow, you still treat people who lost their children differently. Or if it's someone famous you look at the events of their life differently due to the mystery. Leftovers is doing a really good job of showing that 2% of people is really not a big deal when it comes to maintaining day to day life, but the event of the disappearances has consequences to 100% of the people who remain. It's like in Children of Men when the guy who was the last baby to be born dies and the movie goes out of its way to show everybody grieving.

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005
Every play 6 degrees of separation / Kevin Bacon? I think you'd be surprised how many people know someone in a random 2% of people over the world; might not be a direct family member but likely a friend or a friend of a friend would qualify as a 'direct connection'. Couple that with the 'small town everyone knows everyone' mentality the show is pushing and I get why most people are affected.

It's also been a while since I've seen Children of Men but my recollection was that people were all over the spectrum of emotions when they youngest adult in the world died right in the beginning; you had people weeping in the streets and then Clive Owen, who didn't really give a poo poo at his office but then was overcome with not knowing how to feel once he got together with Michael Caine's character and was able to open up. I get the same vibe from Leftovers - a lot of people overcome with not really knowing what to feel but feeling it strongly.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Hoopaloops posted:

Every play 6 degrees of separation / Kevin Bacon? I think you'd be surprised how many people know someone in a random 2% of people over the world; might not be a direct family member but likely a friend or a friend of a friend would qualify as a 'direct connection'. Couple that with the 'small town everyone knows everyone' mentality the show is pushing and I get why most people are affected.

Definitely. Obviously it's random but if you lost 2% of the people in your life (friends, coworkers, old college friends, family, extended family, your parents' friends, etc) everyone is going to have a pretty decent sized list of people they once knew who disappeared. Sure your life might not stop if your barber, mechanic, father's best friend, cousin and old larp buddy or whatever disappear but it'll be significant. And all those people are someone's son, daughter, lover, etc. It would be absolutely insane

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Not to mention that this 2% is a mystery. Meaning, nobody yet knows what exactly happened and if there even is a reason. Grief is difficult in any situation but people tend to have the hardest time coming to terms with a situation without an explanation. It would be very different if the plot had 2% of the people die from a virus or natural disaster instead of vanishing.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

lifts cats over head posted:

Not to mention that this 2% is a mystery.

Everyone is like, "Oh boo hoo hoo, 2% is gone FOREVER!" So what? Just drink skim. Quite honestly the oldest saying in the book and yet people still cry over the drat stuff.

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
I wouldn't exactly call random people disappearing spontaneously spilled milk.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
This actress has the most WTF-est face expression in the world

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Hoopaloops posted:

Every play 6 degrees of separation / Kevin Bacon? I think you'd be surprised how many people know someone in a random 2% of people over the world; might not be a direct family member but likely a friend or a friend of a friend would qualify as a 'direct connection'.

Yeah, I mean, how many Facebook friends do you guys have? Imagine of 2% of them randomly went missing. Or how many of them would mention that one of *their* friends went missing.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Dryb posted:

I wouldn't exactly call random people disappearing spontaneously spilled milk.

:stare:

I guess it's just a matter of which 2% you are taking about...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm just waiting for more people to disappear so poo poo can really hit the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Does it even matter if you knew someone who disappeared?

A poo poo load of people just instantly vanished all over the world at the same time. Surely that would concern everyone....

• Locked thread