Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Bown posted:

He almost certainly meant it, what are you talking about? It doesn't come off as sarcasm at all.

Stop it the sensors are going to blow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

tinstaach posted:

I've seen a bunch of websites reporting a Community movie, and they all have that one Sony guy's quote as their only source. He was almost certainly being sarcastic.

Do you think that guy is allowed to be sarcastic?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I'm rewatching Season 1 and I like how many places Season 5 ties back into it. It sets up that Jeff watched standup comedy in the 90's (meowmeowbeenz) and, less of a stretch, Donald Glover gets this line:

"Why am I crying? Will I accidentally listen to Come Sail Away by Styx again?"

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
And Britta acquiring a used iPod Nano in 2014.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Here's the full quote:

quote:

I don't know, let's see how our movie does! Isn't that our plan? There's no way we're not making the movie now! I think once we make the movie, let's look up and decide how much more Community the world wants. We promised six seasons and a movie, how much more do you want?! [Laughs.] … I'd be lying if I told you that we have not had some very early and preliminary conversations that are very exciting about what a potential movie could be and who might direct it. It's early but it's completely in our thought process.

I remember "very early and preliminary conversations" about a Party Down movie back in the day, and that's pretty much in the ground now. It's a loooooong way from here to an actual movie being made,

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I can't find the quote, but Dan Harmon said that there will be a movie, even if he has to do it with cardboard and tape in his basement.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Max posted:

I can't find the quote, but Dan Harmon said that there will be a movie, even if he has to do it with cardboard and tape in his basement.

Dino Stamatopolous can make it! We just need to rebuild the Claymation puppets.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Dino Stamatopolous can make it! We just need to rebuild the Claymation puppets.

Is Anomalisa ever going to come out?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
At this rate, I won't believe a Community movie is being made until my rear end in a theater watching it.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

El Tortuga posted:

At this rate, I won't believe a Community movie is being made until my rear end in a theater watching it.

I think Dan would have to murder several people for the movie to not be released.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

El Tortuga posted:

If the movie happens, I would be shocked if it wasn't straight to video/a streaming service.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Spacebump posted:

If the movie happens, I would be shocked if it wasn't straight to video/a streaming service.

I would be cool with a three-episode-long episode going straight to Netflix/DVD or whatever.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

El Tortuga posted:

Think TV movie. We're not talking wide release here.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

ETB posted:

I think Dan would have to murder several people for the movie to not be released.

Them's some betting odds!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

superjew posted:

Them's some betting odds!

I'm not toxxing on it either way. :v:

I think it would be similar to how Veronica Mars Kickstarter movie went, which, by the way, I would totally pay a large amount of money to be an extra in.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ashpanash posted:

Think TV movie. We're not talking wide release here.

Considering a road doc about the creator of community going around the country playing d and d with a whose line alum is seeing limited release, and a movie sequel to a 3-season detective series on the WB saw wide release I really don't think a movie sequel to community being wide release is out of the question

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tinstaach posted:

Here's the full quote:

I remember "very early and preliminary conversations" about a Party Down movie back in the day, and that's pretty much in the ground now. It's a loooooong way from here to an actual movie being made,

But where is the sarcasm, though?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Found the quote. It was from an interview at Hitfix before they got fake-canceled, so it is in no way definitive. But if he and Joel want it made bad enough, it would probably happen. (link: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/mega-community-interview-with-dan-harmon-part-2/single-page)

Dan Harmon posted:

The movie part is the movie part. I mean, if they do a sixth season, I have to participate. And having done that, if the movie has to be made out of clay and duct tape in my basement, then that’s how the movie will be made, because there has to be closure. The title of the book about the show is not “’Community,’ An Interesting Journey into a Show No One Ever Watched.” The title of the book is obviously going to be, “Six Seasons and a Movie.” So it’s already over. Sometimes our hands are just tied up in fate.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Let's be honest, if it has to be kickstarted, it's getting made.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Let's be honest, if it has to be kickstarted, it's getting made.

Kickstarting is inevitable, even if there's strong studio support. Why leave money on the table?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Sony is a multi-billion dollar corporation and Harmon is a multi-millionaire. They shouldn't be asking a bunch of kids and underemployed adults to fund their lovely passion projects.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Bown posted:

But where is the sarcasm, though?

quote:

I don't know, let's see how our movie does! Isn't that our plan? There's no way we're not making the movie now! I think once we make the movie, let's look up and decide how much more Community the world wants. We promised six seasons and a movie, how much more do you want?! [Laughs.]

I think Harmon's quote is along the same lines, making a TV show and making a movie based on a TV show are two very different things, and talking like it's an inevitability just because "Six seasons and a movie" was a line Abed had in Season 2 comes off as sarcastic to me, even if they are in very early talks about it. I'm sure all of us (well, most of us) would rather see no movie at all than a thrown-together piece of crap that was only made in service to a Twitter hashtag.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

Sony is a multi-billion dollar corporation and Harmon is a multi-millionaire. They shouldn't be asking a bunch of kids and underemployed adults to fund their lovely passion projects.

I certainly agree with you that they shouldn't

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Harmon's a multimillionaire? He comes off as someone who'd be really terrible with money.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kuiperdolin posted:

Harmon's a multimillionaire? He comes off as someone who'd be really terrible with money.

Eh, I think all he does is drink and write. He doesn't seem like he does enough to blow through money.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dude's got cash to burn, seeing as how he pays for a lot of the music licenses and title sequence changes out-of-pocket.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

e: yeah this ^^^^^^

I remember for one of the earlier theme episodes (S2 Hallowween IIRC) he shelled out like $35k or something for the custom intro because the studio wouldn't. Or maybe it was to license the Abba music? Either way, non-millionaires don't, or at least shouldn't, do that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

tinstaach posted:

I think Harmon's quote is along the same lines, making a TV show and making a movie based on a TV show are two very different things, and talking like it's an inevitability just because "Six seasons and a movie" was a line Abed had in Season 2 comes off as sarcastic to me, even if they are in very early talks about it. I'm sure all of us (well, most of us) would rather see no movie at all than a thrown-together piece of crap that was only made in service to a Twitter hashtag.

I'd believe the producer was being sarcastic, but Harmon means it. At least, he did a few months ago when he said that and season 6 was an uncertainty.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

a movie sequel to a 3-season detective series on the WB saw wide release

Veronica Mars opened in 347 theaters:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=veronicamars.htm

That's NOT a wide release.
For comparison, Serenity was probably the last time they did a direct cult TV-show to movie wide release, and that was 2,189 theaters, and it bombed. If you count the X-Files 2008 movie, that was over 3,000 theaters, but that wasn't a cult show. It also was a bomb domestically.

The latest transformers was released in over 4,000 theaters. That's a WIDE release. So far Harmontown hasn't even seen a release yet - every screening has been a festival/preview screening. It won't get a wide release anyway.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Kuiperdolin posted:

He's been a showrunner for 4 seasons which is a high paying job, and he also earns backend gross from the show, even during its 4th season because he was the creator. Any bit of syndication money, part of it goes right to him. Gross, not net.

He's got money.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

I agree on principle, but there are worse things than pre-buying a copy of a movie you want to get made to help it get made.

ashpanash posted:

Gross, not net.
Remember, kids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ashpanash posted:

He's been a showrunner for 4 seasons which is a high paying job, and he also earns backend gross from the show, even during its 4th season because he was the creator. Any bit of syndication money, part of it goes right to him. Gross, not net.

He's got money.

I'm sure he's earning money, I just thought he was not the kind of guy to hold onto it.

Plenty of people in Hollywood earn lots and have to blow it all away.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Ugh, shut the gently caress with your typical choices of adjectives. We get it, you don't like Community anymore.

As for content, I'd throw 20 bucks or so Dan Harmon's way if it helped the movie get made and got me a copy of it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Kuiperdolin posted:

I'm sure he's earning money, I just thought he was not the kind of guy to hold onto it.

Plenty of people in Hollywood earn lots and have to blow it all away.

Funny thing is that he actually went through that already. He came to Hollywood because Scud was optioned from Him and Rob Schrab, then they got Heat Vision and Jack made and went from poor Milwaukee residents to sort of successful new Hollywood wunderkinds. Then it all fell apart and he wasted it all and was (Hollywood) poor for years. I think their biggest deal before The Sarah Silverman Program got off the ground was selling the first script for Monster House. So I'm sure he's better equipped to handle the money now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A lot of people don't care about money. Like, way more than you think. Especially artists. Our currency is adoration and attention.

Also, money.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Dan Harmon doesn't exactly strike me as the "extravagant living" type.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

LividLiquid posted:

A lot of people don't care about money. Like, way more than you think. Especially artists. Our currency is adoration and attention.

"Our"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

El Tortuga posted:

Dan Harmon doesn't exactly strike me as the "extravagant living" type.
You'd be amazed at how quickly alcohol will burn through your money.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

One thing that I think will really help the sixth season: No 21.5-minute time restraints. It's a drag on ambitious shows anyway, and 3 or 4 minutes more could have made the rear end crack bandit episode into the next law and order, or further clarify the (gently caress you, already great) meow meow beanz episode.

Another thing networks have yet to learn from cable. No one worth tracking (who will spend money on ads) appointment views anymore, and DVRs are common. Changing the runtime of a few things occasionally, in which they might go over-schedule, won't kill your business. Everyone's receiver can handle these things anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

ashpanash posted:

One thing that I think will really help the sixth season: No 21.5-minute time restraints. It's a drag on ambitious shows anyway, and 3 or 4 minutes more could have made the rear end crack bandit episode into the next law and order, or further clarify the (gently caress you, already great) meow meow beanz episode.

Another thing networks have yet to learn from cable. No one worth tracking (who will spend money on ads) appointment views anymore, and DVRs are common. Changing the runtime of a few things occasionally, in which they might go over-schedule, won't kill your business. Everyone's receiver can handle these things anyway.

It seems like there are some shows where they have special extended episodes. I know Parks and Rec had a few, and then of course they also have the online only "Director's Cut" version. I also remember the Office had a bunch of episodes that ran 28 minutes or something like that. 30 Rock too. Maybe it was only NBC that tried it.

• Locked thread