Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

(feel free to read some race into that, too, since I'm sure that's going into the producer's considerations)

Between Christine winning (against an African-American) and all the African-American winners and finalists on Hell's Kitchen, can we not do this bullshit? :rolleyes:

quote:

Leslie is going to stick around because they're going to try to make him the villain of the show, but as far as reality show villains go he's just an annoying doofus and that's all editing. Same thing for IAhran, though I'd actually give her a chance at winning if they start playing up her story unlike Leslie and Willie.

I don't think they're even playing Leslie as a villain because he honestly comes off like someone who tries to be nice and a good person, just pretty obnoxious the way any Malibu trophy husband in his 50s would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I think Willie is a lock for winning. He may be fat but from what we've seen he's got a great personality and seems like a great guy. Just suffering from over crowding of mediocre cooks right now so he isnt getting the focus. I really cant see Courtney winning even ignoring her being a former stripper. They've just played up her being a bitch too much for her to win, plus Ahran being pretty much spot on when calling her out.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

DurosKlav posted:

I think Willie is a lock for winning. He may be fat but from what we've seen he's got a great personality and seems like a great guy. Just suffering from over crowding of mediocre cooks right now so he isnt getting the focus. I really cant see Courtney winning even ignoring her being a former stripper. They've just played up her being a bitch too much for her to win, plus Ahran being pretty much spot on when calling her out.

Yup.

Fat gay black man not winning Masterchef? Don't be dumb guys the only thing better would be if he was also a war Veteran and severely crippled. There is zero percent chance anyone else wins. And don't be silly that you don't think a fat man dressed like a clown will sell a bunch of cookbooks.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

benisntfunny posted:

Yup.
Don't be dumb guys the only thing better would be if he was also a war Veteran and severely crippled. There is zero percent chance anyone else wins.

They actually had a disfigured Veteran last season who was cut in the first go around.

CommanderApaul posted:

My take on this is they need to have a few decent eliminated people for the "cook your way back in the competition" episode in 5-6 weeks. There's no way that Francis B's was worse than Cutters, however, the obvious technical error of pan-frying the spring roll to get the color on there is way bigger of a fuckup (in the judges' eyes, they love taking people to task for technical stuff) than making them somewhat correctly but underfilling them.

I immediately thought of the "cook your way back in the competition" when Camo Tyler was cut. You could see the judges didn't want to cut him, and it'd be a perfect way to give him another chance.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
What really struck me is that there were still 15 contestants going into last night, because I'd be hard-pressed to name and give a brief description of 10 of them. The editing this season has been piss-poor and scattershot at best. And yes, we had seen exactly zero screentime of Christine before tonight.

Calling a winner at this point is absurd because any given episode half of the cooks will go entire episodes without saying a word or having focus brought to their food. Once it gets down to a number the production team can capably handle (I would guess ~9-10) then things will make more sense. Up to this point though, this season is a complete mess.

Also Cutter didn't go home because Malibu Ken redeemed himself and they need a new villain to replace him. Cutter's perfect for the role since he takes exactly zero ownership for his failings.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

And don't be silly that you don't think a fat man dressed like a clown will sell a bunch of cookbooks.
Come on. Graham lost a lot of weight since last season.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Calling a winner at this point is absurd because any given episode half of the cooks will go entire episodes without saying a word or having focus brought to their food. Once it gets down to a number the production team can capably handle (I would guess ~9-10) then things will make more sense. Up to this point though, this season is a complete mess.

Sounds like you think this show is an actual competition based on skill.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
It's weird that people killing calling Leslie an obnoxious Malibu trophy husband when to me he's very clearly an obnoxious New Yorker.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

benisntfunny posted:

Yup.

Fat gay black man not winning Masterchef?

Did I miss him coming out in an episode? In the deleted extras from the wedding episode, Gordon asked if he had a girlfriend back home and he said that they were friends with benefits. Also that there wasn't just one.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ibntumart posted:

Did I miss him coming out in an episode? In the deleted extras from the wedding episode, Gordon asked if he had a girlfriend back home and he said that they were friends with benefits. Also that there wasn't just one.

Yeah probably the same kind of girlfriend my gay friends have said they had before they came out to me. The kind with a big ol' dick.

By the way I'm just throwing this out there. I like Leslie. He seems like he would be cool to hang out with.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ha ha ha! Sarah is HA gone, again HA.

drat that girl laughed every other word.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Bobfromsales posted:

It's weird that people killing calling Leslie an obnoxious Malibu trophy husband when to me he's very clearly an obnoxious New Yorker.

Some of the most obnoxious Angeleans are ex-pats from the northeast.

I am originally from north of Boston so I am allowed to say this.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

benisntfunny posted:

Sounds like you think this show is an actual competition based on skill.

No, I saw the season when Luca won. I know better.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

So I'm a little late on Hell's Kitchen, but oh my god I want Scott to keep scraping by in the bottom 2 and then somehow win the competition. He's tied with S7 Autumn and S9 Elise for most nominations without getting booted, one more and he's alone in first on that.

E: They've telegraphed the hell out of a Melanie win though.

Re: Masterchef I think Ahran's got to be the frontrunner right now, although it'll be interesting what happens when people start getting more screentime. Keeping Cutter was weird as hell, especially when Joe straight-up says "If you get the wrapper wrong, you're going home." before the challenge and his looked like uncooked.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 9, 2014

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Bravo, so drat true.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

For me it was Christine. I kind of always knew it was coming and when it did (and shouldn't have) I sort of lost my hopes for the show. I knew Luca was going to win the second he made it onto the show last year.

Though last year didn't have anyone particularly mind blowing cooking. Natasha was probably best of the bunch when she wasn't busy annoying me.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

DurosKlav posted:

I'd definitely buy Willie's cookbook. As for Courtney, I wonder if they're going to pull a Kristi with her and drag it out before she gets booted so people are tuning in waiting for when that happens.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Cutter and Leslie will be the "cook your way back on the show" contestants.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

benisntfunny posted:

Natasha was probably best of the bunch

I think you meant to say Jesse.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mordiceius posted:

I think you meant to say Jesse.

If looks factored into cooking sure.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Fox Reality Cooking Show

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

benisntfunny posted:

I don't remember Natasha cooking her way back to the top after nearly amputating a finger. :colbert:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Mordiceius posted:

I think you meant to say Jessie.

Correct. "Oh hey we have someone who's a cakewalk to market, has a ton of experience as a private chef and has consistently put out amazing dishes. We'd better send her home in third for some bullshit while giving her an open invitation to work at any of our restaurants." :psyduck:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Luca winning the butter poached lobster pressure test when he had the worst dish clinched it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ded posted:

Luca winning the butter poached lobster pressure test when he had the worst dish clinched it.

Wait, I don't remember this.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, I don't remember this.

Puerto Rican girl with lovely tattoos and perfectly separated lobster lost to him on a rooftop...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ded posted:

He botched shelling the lobster and left a chunk of meat on the cutting board, but the judges claim that the salad made the difference and so the woman lost.

ladron posted:

Puerto Rican girl with lovely tattoos and perfectly separated lobster lost to him on a rooftop...

What he said, it really shows that despite no matter how much they talk up technical execution/skill it comes down to personal choice over quality of food/appearance. Plus, they constantly contradict themselves when convenient, like when Willie was making eggs benedict with Spam and Gordon is going on about how underwhelming and simple the dish is.

You know, the same dish that lead to the S4 Vegas challenges because almost no one could do it right.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
To be fair with them, I don't think the only considerations taken in account when they have elimination tests is just based on the dishes themselves, but who are cooking them. Like, Luca's dish was clearly inferior to that girl's dish, but he was also a much better cook than her overall. I mean I think it's ok for the judges to be choosing a few bad cooks over better cooks once in a while if they are better overall or it makes better television :shrug:

I know that Christine was absolute gold in terms of winner, she's a PR person's dream representative, but I also think that she was the best chef there (more than Josh) based on all the dishes we've seen her prepare over the course of the season. While loving legally blind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I really didn't have a problem at all with the judges deciding to give it to Christine, even if they were taking her blindness into account. There was nobody that was clearly better than her, it was probably a tough decision, so why not go with the contestant who did everything just as well as all the others while dealing with a major handicap?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I always thought they should try a cumulative score of sorts. The way it works now, you can win 5 contests, gently caress up once (say overcook a steak) and then you go home. Or you can be second worst every week and stick around till the top 3. Stupid.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Bob Morales posted:

Or you can be second worst every week and stick around till the top 3

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

That button is going to fly off

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

That button is going to fly off

Add some tattoos and you have Graham...unless that is Graham and I'm just an idiot.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

He was chronically the worst performer by far. Every episode it was "Why is David still here? He's a completely poo poo cook." His only high point was the one dish he made which won him the mystery box, followed by him completely loving up the challenge on the dish he choose with all the advantages given to him.

Plus someone who sweats as much as he did should not work around food.

While trying to find some screenshot of the many times Martinez walked up to the judges drenched in sweat I found this

http://benstarr.com/tag/hatfields/

Ben Starr is a pretty cool dude.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 10, 2014

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
In Hell's Kitchen, when Chef Ramsay tells one of the contestants to "gently caress off", does that always mean the person is completely out of the competition like Gabriel was?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Doesn't Gordon Ramsay tell everyone to gently caress off? I figure that's just his way of saying goodbye.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Hand of the King posted:

In Hell's Kitchen, when Chef Ramsay tells one of the contestants to "gently caress off", does that always mean the person is completely out of the competition like Gabriel was?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Doesn't Gordon Ramsay tell everyone to gently caress off? I figure that's just his way of saying goodbye.

"GET. OUT!!" generally indicates they're eliminated by the end of the episode. "gently caress off" really is just a period on the end of a conversation for him.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
If he tells you to gently caress off out of here with loud, serious tone, then you're done for the service.

I remember two or three times he actually told them to leave Hell's Kitchen entirely, through the front door, but Jean Philippe chased them down and encouraged them to fight back, which at least one person did and got back in, and another didn't and chose to leave.

You're only out of the competition definitively if he tells you to take your jacket off, and that's only happened a handful of times.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Know what I just realized? None of the challenges on Masterchef have included any "top notch produce/meat" from Wal-Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Know what I just realized? None of the challenges on Masterchef have included any "top notch produce/meat" from Wal-Mart.

They'll do at least 2, guaranteed. Probably in the "this basket costs $5 this one costs $25" filled with a bounty of Wal-Mart ingredients.

Then for the final 7 they'll back the Walmart truck up again and make everyone do a "This is so great I could do some many great dishes with all these"